Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline 250 shitty RPGs over 15 shitty years: 1996-2010

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
NotR was released for English in 2005, so where I've listed it seems to be correct (UK/NA release of base Gothic 2 was 2003).

Not sure why some Codexers are getting snarky about the poll. It's not like when you are given pre-1996 options that you prove the Codex is pro-oldschool . Check out the Codex polls, where every single game in the top 13 fall into my blog's focused treatment range (15th place is your first look-in).

It's obviously just the best yearly grouping ever, which makes some grandpas buttmad.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
NotR was released for English in 2005, so where I've listed it seems to be correct (UK/NA release of base Gothic 2 was 2003).

Not sure why some Codexers are getting snarky about the poll. It's not like when you are given pre-1996 options that you prove the Codex is pro-oldschool . Check out the Codex polls, where every single game in the top 13 fall into my blog's focused treatment range (15th place is your first look-in).

It's obviously just the best yearly grouping ever, which makes some grandpas buttmad.
Only bad thing about the poll is that it have multiple choices enabled. It is not called "Your favourite years" after all.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I wonder what exactly gives 2000 such a large margin, is it Diablo 2 or Baldur's Gate 2?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Only bad thing about the poll is that it have multiple choices enabled. It is not called "Your favourite years" after all.

Poll is clearly entitled Which of these years were the best years for PC role-playing games?

You can have a few best/fave years. I reset the poll (which originally only allowed one selection) because a lot of people just couldn't decide between 1999 and 2000.

I wonder what exactly gives 2000 such a large margin, is it Diablo 2 or Baldur's Gate 2?

Deus Ex = GOAT.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What a journo! The thread use YEAR,your first post is a YEAR,your link is a YEAR and in the end there some small shrift calling it a YEARS.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's not like when you are given pre-1996 options that you prove the Codex is pro-oldschool . Check out the Codex polls, where every single game in the top 13 fall into my blog's focused treatment range.

Everything indeed points to late 1990s - early 2000s as apex years.

During the early stages (1975-1990) creative skills were high but there was no technology. The technology wasn't sufficiently advanced to portray something accurately, the way it was intended. It was behind the conceptual reaches of the industry. It wasn't before mid 90s (?) that advances in 3D graphics produced the golden age of cRPGs; a combo of small, niche market + mediocre technology + high conceptual/creative standards. After 2006 technology got too crazy and market got too big. As external conditions for uniform incline disappeared the core qualities ended up neglected.

I think 1995-2005 could be approximated as the ideal state, ideal balance between abstraction (represented by skill) and simulation (represented by technology)

Last edited:

pippin

The technology wasn't sufficiently advanced to portray something accurately, the way it was intended

The way Ultima 4+ portrays its world, the interactions with it and with characters, NPCs, quests and etc. is basically the same than we have right now though. If you mean graphically, then yeah, maybe, but rpg design has changed very little (if it has changed at all).

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
During the early stages (1975-1990) creative skills were high but there was no technology. The technology wasn't sufficiently advanced to portray something accurately, the way it was intended.
What are you talking about? Goldboxes' portrayal of AD&D 1ed combat was accurate and top notch, for example.
It was behind the conceptual reaches of the industry. It wasn't before mid 90s (?) that advances in 3D graphics produced the golden age of cRPGs;
Oh, I see. :prosper:

Nah, there is just too many newfags on the Codex whose first cRPG was BG2 or, God forbid, Oblivion and who never played anything older. IncendiaryDevice 's polls are very elucidating in that regard. Aethra Chronicles is one of the best shareware RPGs of 90s, but was played only by Andhaira, mondblut, octavius, V_K and handful others.

Sounds like something from
MV5BZjFkYTU2ODctNTQ4MS00YzRjLWE2M2YtM2U0NzUzMmIwMzRhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_UY268_CR6,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Nah, there is just too many newfags on the Codex whose first cRPG was BG2 or, God forbid, Oblivion and who never played anything older. IncendiaryDevice 's polls are very elucidating in that regard. Aethra Chronicles is one of the best shareware RPGs of 90s, but was played only by Andhaira, mondblut, octavius, V_K and handful others.

What I'm getting at is, I think Codex is about renaissance and not so much golden age; it was always huge on Fallout and Arcanum.

In the Codex poll, the first newfag game comes in at 14th (Dark Souls) and Oblivion doesn't rear its ugly head. So, I don't think it's newfaggotry at work; with the exception of PS:T, BG2 and a few popamoles being too high, it's pretty much how I remember the Codex.

After 2006 technology got too crazy and market got too big. As external conditions for uniform incline disappeared the core qualities ended up neglected.

Agree. 2006 = Neverwinter Nights 2, Gothic 3, Oblivion: bloated monstrosities.

It's also lame that current Unity games are huge on your hard drive and display card, but don't look as good or play as well as 1996-2002 games.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
1996-2004 was p. gud, highlights being 1997,1998 and 1999

Still, one of the best cRPGs to ever be released is still waiting. The New World. 2018 or 2019 will be incline like you've never seen.

And lol at people saying ELEX and Grimoire is incline. Both shit games.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

In terms of cRPGs, I myself am one of those newfags, in that I started buying cRPGs in 2000. I don't have an automatic turn-off to older games like some though, as I was playing other similar genres well before 2000, such as Civilisation 2, Myth etc etc. I prefer HoMM 1 and 2 to 3. I prefer Caesar 2 to 3. In fact, I really love that mid-90s bright-colored jovial isometric art style and sound as one my my favourite styles. But when I tried Ultima 7 I loathed it, really loathed it, but not because it was dated, but because it so utterly, utterly convoluted and time-wastery. Likewise I tried Might and Magic 1, as you know, and found that as equally unbearable for similar and additional reasons (I'm early in M&M2 so I'm not writing off the whole series yet).

What I find the problem is with trying to find an old game to play is the sheer quantity of them combined with barely any easy reference points as to what separates them in terms of content. If I go by famous names and hearty recommendations, such as M&M1 and U7, I just end-up with 'smart' (smug) derivatives that have very little to do with what I'm looking for, a bit like how Sigourn is playing Arcanum because its supposed to be good, but time has erased most of the reasons why putting up with all it's crap was offset by its notions of 'originality' (such as "wow, all that crafting" then to "Oh god, not crafting again" today).

Baring in mind that in one single year I probably have the space and desire to only play 2 or 3 classic RPGs per year, covering 40 years of classic games, I have no easy and useful source to quickly filter 250 random cRPGs from 1985-1995. After checking out just 3 or 4 recommendations or titles that might seem like the right thing I just feel utterly exhausted trying to discern all their differences from random screenshots, badly made Youtube videos and inexplicit wikipedia articles. And then I'll remember I haven't played Baldur's Gate yet, the last IE game I never got round to bothering with, and I wont even need to look anything up, I just need to convince myself to insert the disc, so another 4 months goes by.

As someone who lived through that era and played them as they were released you don't have any of this, you can view each game as I view Baldur's Gate. You know which ones are being derivative, which is the best one in the series for your tastes, what graphical and mechanical formulas to expect and play towards. You know your taste as well as you know that era of gaming. Someone such as myself doesn't know where to start nor even which games will find a match to my tastes, and the trial and error process of attempting a very old game is much more tiring that taking a close bet on something more familiar, such as Knights of the Chalice. And then if its not on Gog then there's the whole making it run thing, which is whole nother level of commitment.

Its like, where do I even start:

gegege.jpg

Versus:

school_selection_packs3-178x270.jpg

The whole era of 1985-1995 needs some kind of site dedicated to providing meaningful routes into that era of gaming. such as, for example, "good games to start with", "games which wont be too different to what you're used to", "games that are easy to plug-and-play", leading onto "games which are similar to", "If you liked this then you'll probably like this as well". Where things like Open World or Story-focused are emphasised, whether they have interesting loot or random loot, whether you make your own maps, how important is the manual (the U7 manual, for example, was complete horseshit and the M&M1 one was vague as shit but then crucial for spells lists etc), are they combat grinder, combat heavy, average combat or just utterly shit at combat, what is the extent of the random etc etc etc. Just something a whole lot more meaningful than "This game was great, you should try it" and "If you haven't played this game then you're missing out".

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fallout and the Infinity Engine games were made using 3D graphics. Those aren't true 2D sprites and pixels. :M

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Fallout and the Infinity Engine games were made using 3D graphics. Those aren't true 2D sprites and pixels. :M

As they appear in the game, they are true sprites and they are true pixels; they're just not handdrawn from scratch. So what?

In Fallout, everything is modeled, pre-rendered and touched up by a traditional 2d artist: Boyarsky. And it shows. The employment of pre-renders is understandable when its got death anims with hundreds of frames, and talking heads with thousands (just two examples). We're talking GOAT aesthetics, right there.

Infinity Engine definitely lacks that kind of artistry; its sprites and anims being shitty, its colorful pre-rendered backdrops and paperdolls are about its only aesthetic achievement.

And Unity-based aesthetics have made almost no contributions; ToEE looks better.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
No 1989, 1992 or 1993? :decline:
But I agree with 2000 for those years listed.
Also, for 1999 you could add Age of Wonders. It's more of a cRPG than HoMM 3 is.

Agreed on the timelines. 89-93 there are some real classics. The issue generally comes down to age.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
And lol at people saying ELEX and Grimoire is incline. Both shit games.

Repent, you filthy heretic, and return to the soothing embrace of the Golden Baby at once. Only beneath his lustrous wings of incline can you find salvation, lest you shall be cast into the unfathomable depths of the Abyss where your naked body will be molested by Todd Howard, Robert Sirotek and Evil Chris for all eternity.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The whole era of 1985-1995 needs some kind of site dedicated to providing meaningful routes into that era of gaming.

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/

Yeah, no, not what I'm talking about. That's just a guy going through all the games and then writing a fuck-off massive spoiler-ridden review for all the games. Good for when you've finished a game, but a huge drag when just researching.

The whole era of 1985-1995 needs some kind of site dedicated to providing meaningful routes into that era of gaming
Home of the Underdogs reviews were usually very spot-on and informative. There are legacy sites out there (e.g. http://homeoftheunderdogs.net/genre.php?id=7), but they added some new user reviews that might not be up to old standards.

Yeah, just a list. It has one sorting choice, that of sub-genre and the ratings could be useful, but I chose one sub-genre and they were all rated between 8.51 and 9.14, even IGN isn't that stupid.

IncendiaryDevice
Check first part of my list.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-the-must-play-games.55367
Decide that you want to play. Something closer to Fallout? Try Dark Sun. Something short and good blobber? EoB or AoD. And so on. Ask if you want to know more.

Yeah, ok, next time I look around I'll spend a few howeverlongittakes posting in that thread and badgering you. Sounds like a plan. But that's not really helping the cause beyond preaching to the choir, if you know what I mean.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom