Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
First, items do not count for skill requirements.

If you have natural 30 strength and wear a +5 strength item you still can't learn a skill requiring 35 strength even if the UI says you have 35.

Second, the XP and attribute skills are completely worthless. Once you get into the midgame you can craft attribute and skill points in exchange for elex and elexite.

Thus the only skills that matter are those that make you stronger in combat and those that help you earn more money, namely hunting and pickpocketing.

I don't recommend hacking or lockpicking because I've not found anything worthwhile in a locked chest or safe even once. Mining is a little better because you can use the ores to make potions which you can sell.

Wow, you hacked the level 3 safe! Here's your reward: two cups and a spoon!

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Since attributes > all , is it worth to wait until lvl7 and dump everything on INT to take the "Attribute" skill (+1 attribute point /level) as early as possible?
First rank is well worth it, because you'll need that high Intelligence anyway, and it's a good Skill early on. Later, the costs for raising your attributes becomes much higher (after 30 it's 2 points per increase, and then it ramps up even more), so increasing your Intelligence just to get more attribute points is a complete waste unless you're already very close to the next bracket you want to get in Intelligence anyway, in which case it can be considered a form of "buyback", like "spend 10 points to raise your Intelligence 5 steps and get 10 points back by spending an attribute skill".

I was hoping to find a laz0r and start killing some stuff around level 7-8 but I guess non-combat quests carry you past 10 easily?
If you're willing to dodge absolutely fucking everything and do fetch-quests and shit, yeah, it's possible to get past lvl 10 without combat. Until you start murderhoboing skull-marked enemies like it's nothing with your laz0rs (which you should be doing at lvl ~15 or so), most mobs give fuckall experience anyway, and are massively outclassed by quest experience.

Also which companion to take in the beginning? I just float on rooftops and shoot some arrows while the companion takes the beating / dishes the damage. Any difference between them? I have Arx, Caju and Duras atm.
Where do you find Arx and Caju? I've got Duras, Falk, Ray, and C.R.O.N.Y. U4.
Falk is an absolute fucking beast with his knockdown-fire-cannon, but he's also fucking retarded because the AI in the game is shit and the collision detection even worse, so if you're standing on rooftops he'll regularly start shooting into the ground, knocking you down and wounding you, and then when you build up distance, he'll disengage the enemy, regroup with you, and do it again. And again. And then on the ground he'll walk slowly towards the enemy, knocking them down, but if they don't die fast enough, he'll get so close that he'll switch to his melee weapon, suck with it, do no damage, and then swiftly get knocked out.

It's hilariously bad. Like, this game doesn't do "average" bad. Everything is either "pretty damn good"-good (exploration, environments, quest interlacing) or "literally unplayable"-bad (everything else).

Since I obviously haven't tried Arx or Caju, I can't comment on them, but Duras is fucking useless as a ranged combatant that runs around the rooftops, because he's too fucking stupid to engage the enemy in melee if you do that, and his arrows are pretty useless. He's surprisingly good against very large targets like mechs, though, because the damage is still good and when the target is the size of a barn and about as mobile, it works out alright. I haven't seen this bad CNPC control since Fallout 1, and even Fallout 1 was better because you could at least tell them how to behave, in a limited fashion.

I read somewhere that xp potions can be upgraded to attribute potions. If thats possible where is the recipe? Should I hoard my mats for later more effective recipes or craft and use them asap?
Yes, don't drink those Small Elex Potions - you'll want to save them to make standard Elex Potions (+2 Attributes) or Strong Elex Potions (+1 Skill). No idea where to buy it, but I'd be surprised if you can't pick it up in Origin/"Central Camp in Adessa" or whatever it's called. It should be east-south-east-ish from The Dome, if you haven't got the skill that reveals all teleporters (which you should get, by the way - those things are exceptionally easy to miss and there's actually not that many of them).

Edit: lmao Felix, you're such a fucking retard.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I dunno if ELEX has level scaled monster spawns. On my Cleric I've had stuff like Moloch's and Patron's spawn in places I had gone to at some mid level, like 15. They were pretty out of my league at that point. OTOH now with my Zerker I've seen Ice Bills spawn in the same exact areas while being higher level than my Cleric. Seems like it's just random spawns (based on geography).

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
First, items do not count for skill requirements.

If you have natural 30 strength and wear a +5 strength item you still can't learn a skill requiring 35 strength even if the UI says you have 35.

Second, the XP and attribute skills are completely worthless. Once you get into the midgame you can craft attribute and skill points in exchange for elex and elexite.

Thus the only skills that matter are those that make you stronger in combat and those that help you earn more money, namely hunting and pickpocketing.

I don't recommend hacking or lockpicking because I've not found anything worthwhile in a locked chest or safe even once. Mining is a little better because you can use the ores to make potions which you can sell.

Wow, you hacked the level 3 safe! Here's your reward: two cups and a spoon!
Also noteworthy: There's at least two different necklaces that can be gotten early on that gives +1 Lockpicking, Reaver's Amulet and Adventurer's Amulet. Thus, never ever get 3/3 Lockpicking, because I have yet to even see anything that requires 4. In fact, I have yet to see ANYTHING that requires ANYTHING over -/x.

The same goes for Personality "Practitioner" Skill, that increases the XP reward from quests (which is kinda worth it, because quest XP beats the hell out of combat XP, especially in the early game). However, there are again at least two different amulets that you can make that gives you +1 Practitioner, one of them being Amulet of Charisma (I've forgotten the name of the other one, because I've thrown it away), and there is seemingly no benefit to having 2/1 Practitioner.

Grimlorn

Arcane
You can't parry 2-handers with a one-handed weapon. Can anyone confirm if you can parry 2-handers with a 2-handed weapon? Can strong attacks be parried?

Also, has anyone discovered what the hell Parry Strength ability actually does? The description is retarded.
I've had enemies with two-handers parry me when I swung my two-hander. I haven't really experimented with parrying myself though, I usually screw up the timing.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Speaking of amulets, I think the first one you find is the best one. I've yet to find anything more useful than +5 Armor.

The first one also gives you +1 lockpicking, which means you only need lockpicking 2 to open everything that can be picked.

I found the stat ones kinda pointless, since they can only be used for meeting item stat reqs.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Speaking of amulets, I think the first one you find is the best one. I've yet to find anything more useful than +5 Armor.
Amulet of Deception gives you permanent Camouflage Spell and the Friend of Beasts skill. I've found that one to be excellent. Since PB are retarded and attributes literally do not matter or do anything stated in the menus, stat modifiers are generally completely useless, unless you're just missing a few points to use a weapon. But permanent spells even when you haven't got access to those spells yourselves (because you're, say, a Cleric)? Fuck yeah.

It's in here somewhere, in a bug-infested tunnel, between The Dome and Origin:
HFlrJPH.png
I hate how predictable all of the loot is, and how easily you get stuck with one thing that's superior to everything else. I hate how after getting the Sunglasses, I can't really see myself wearing anything else unless I come up against a particularily hard fight, which seems like an incredibly remote possibility considering how enemies just melt away to my infinite PSI blackhole spam. +3 armor pales in comparison to persistent highlight of all loot ever, even through walls, allowing you to find secret areas and look for doors and shit. Or simply informing you that "Nope, you can't go in there, there's obviously nothing there, so it's not a building you can go into."

The fact that the sunglasses look ridiculous (much like Jax himself, I guess) and are still worn during dialogues, while none of the better-looking headgear (should you be wearing them for some reason, such as when dealing with poison/radiation) are.

The first one also gives you +1 lockpicking, which means you only need lockpicking 2 to open everything that can be picked.

I found the stat ones kinda pointless, since they can only be used for meeting item stat reqs.
Yeah, it takes a special brand of retarded to hand the player an amulet that completely invalidates a full skill rank for the entirety of the game.. in the start of the game, to boot.

Volken

Scholar
I'm resetting my playthrough now after 30 hours or so played. I don't want to experience the game in this state with economy bugs and stuff like not working talents. I want brutal full playthrough on Ultra with glitches making the game easy fixed.

Gonna start from 0 again in a week when I hope they will release the next big patch. Looting all that shit again will be a PITA but I guess it's worth it.

Making pure elexite much more expensive and balancing chemistry so it won't break economy will be a good start.

axedice

Cipher
Where do you find Arx and Caju?

Arx was standing on the road from the converter to dome, actually a bit close to the dome IIRC, he initiated the dialogue and joined immediately. He wants to eat the brainz of his ex-comrades so I said why not? Caja was in the domed city, I offered to help her (finding natural elex deposits seems like a nice ability for phat l00t) and she too joined without any prerequisite.

So the final verdict is the attribute skill being useless? Or say less useful than skills which offer damage / moneygrabs since attribute raising is tied to money? Makes sense with unlimited Elex supply on merchants.

I've only found the tech-sunglasses which is great for evading enemies (red dots on the minimap for all nasties). The other one seems better once you're able to wield a weapon other than the stick.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I'm using a +10 str, +10 stamina ring and a +10 Dex and Experience Hunter Anulet. I found that amulet pretty early. Great for meeting those high requirements on weapons.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also which companion to take in the beginning?

None.

Are Elex companions still your typical PB companions? Avatars of unstoppable destruction? An area too tough for you? Why not hire a friend and let him play the game for you?

I've never got PB companions tbh. In Gothic 2 Bartok and Lares annihilate half of the first map for you, including the toughest monsters. Why putting them there then? Why placing a shadowbeast or a warg outside the starter town if you can simply let NPCs kill them? Brain...thinking...coming up empty.

Jinn

Arcane
Are Elex companions still your typical PB companions? Avatars of unstoppable destruction? An area too tough for you? Why not hire a friend and let him play the game for you?

I've never got PB companions tbh. In Gothic 2 Bartok and Lares annihilate half of the first map for you, including the toughest monsters. Why putting them there then? Why placing a shadowbeast or a warg outside the starter town if you can simply let NPCs kill them? Brain...thinking...coming up empty.

Yep, you might as well have put a cheat code in with the companions in this. Travel alone unless you're doing their particular quests. Then it makes sense to have them with (sometimes).

Funny thing is, a lot of the reviewers and people who complained about the unfairness of the difficulty have probably been playing with companions the whole time.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I hate how predictable all of the loot is, and how easily you get stuck with one thing that's superior to everything else. I hate how after getting the Sunglasses, I can't really see myself wearing anything else unless I come up against a particularily hard fight, which seems like an incredibly remote possibility considering how enemies just melt away to my infinite PSI blackhole spam. +3 armor pales in comparison to persistent highlight of all loot ever, even through walls, allowing you to find secret areas and look for doors and shit. Or simply informing you that "Nope, you can't go in there, there's obviously nothing there, so it's not a building you can go into."

Sunglasses are supposed to have a hidden +10 armor value, making them the best slotted item for your head in the entire game.

Not really. Useful in the beginning of the game, but they don't scale well toward the end. Even at mid game they are less useful.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Arx was standing on the road from the converter to dome, actually a bit close to the dome IIRC, he initiated the dialogue and joined immediately. He wants to eat the brainz of his ex-comrades so I said why not? Caja was in the domed city, I offered to help her (finding natural elex deposits seems like a nice ability for phat l00t) and she too joined without any prerequisite.
Huh, weird that I hadn't met Arx on my own way to the Domed City. I guess you took the main "big" road? I took the side-roads to the west, so I guess I could've missed him. And while I've been to the Domed City, I haven't really combed through it or started doing many quests there (just the ones I initially ran into while scouting the place for the berserkers). Thanks.

So the final verdict is the attribute skill being useless? Or say less useful than skills which offer damage / moneygrabs since attribute raising is tied to money? Makes sense with unlimited Elex supply on merchants.
It's not useless, it's just that it's not worth beelining to unless you're already going for Intelligence anyway, and the 2nd and 3rd ranks should only really be grabbed if you're about to reach the prerequisites anyway.

I've only found the tech-sunglasses which is great for evading enemies (red dots on the minimap for all nasties). The other one seems better once you're able to wield a weapon other than the stick.
Do you remember where you found the Tech-Sunglasses? I've only got the "Classic Sunglasses" and the "Sunglasses". Sorry, no recollection on where I actually got them. The first highlights all enemies nearby, which I found pretty useless, while the latter highlights all loot as if you've got permanent Item Scanner spell on, which is fucking indispensable. I've re-visited areas I vacuum-cleaned prior only to discover that I must've missed over half the stuff there.

Sunglasses are supposed to have a hidden +10 armor value, making them the best slotted item for your head in the entire game.
Hahaha, what the fuck. PB are fucking retarded. :lol:

Of course, there's no way to verify, because of course, you can't actually check your armor value anywhere.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sunglasses are supposed to have a hidden +10 armor value, making them the best slotted item for your head in the entire game. Hahaha, what the fuck. PB are fucking retarded. :lol:

Of course, there's no way to verify, because of course, you can't actually check your armor value anywhere.

You can verify by testing it out, I guess. This link has been posted here before, but I'll repost it anyway, as it has the info about sunglasses (and other things, like some skills being utterly useless). https://www.reddit.com/r/elex/comme...lls_and_other_things/?st=j96quapo&sh=a577f794

odrzut

Arcane
Falk is an absolute fucking beast with his knockdown-fire-cannon, but he's also fucking retarded because the AI in the game is shit and the collision detection even worse, so if you're standing on rooftops he'll regularly start shooting into the ground, knocking you down and wounding you, and then when you build up distance, he'll disengage the enemy, regroup with you, and do it again. And again. And then on the ground he'll walk slowly towards the enemy, knocking them down, but if they don't die fast enough, he'll get so close that he'll switch to his melee weapon, suck with it, do no damage, and then swiftly get knocked out.

Yeah, cheesing with Falk is all about positioning him on the edge of the roof/cliff :) It's dumb but it works.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Apparently drinking 10 normal elex potions raises Cold by 1 point.

Ultimately it's Cold level that determines the ending of the game.

Grimlorn

Arcane
How many outcomes are there for Abessa?

Just "Clerics massacre outlaws/albs" and "albs invade"? Or is there a "outlaws win" variant?
My guess is if you help plant the bug on the transmitter tower for the Outlaws. Help Paige get weapons. Don't give Riley the shield generator. Helping Fenk could go either way. Might be better to let the Berserkers testify against him, might be better to help him. Give Nyra the technician job and pay her. Deliver the Elex into the Outlaws hands as they'll have already killed the Clerics you meet. Outlaws and Separatists should win and hold the base against the Alb attack. I mean they said they successfully took the base from the Clerics on my game before the Alb attack.

I don't know if giving Darrel or whatever the head Outlaw guy's name is the tech job helps defend the base or not. I kind of figure he'll screw things up, but something to consider.

I did pretty much every cleric quest the way you are supposed to, fucked the outlaws in the ass, got Nyra hired for the job-opening and helped the seperatists so they wouldn't get kicked out. Apparently Nyra did a bad job with the shield because the other bitch is all whiny about my recommendation, I am wondering whether the zerker-dude would've been a better choice, and maybe a couple more named NPCs may have survived if I got the albs kicked out before the insurgency?
Did you pay her in advance? When I talked to her she talked about identifying problems with their mechs. I'm not sure why she would be messing with the shield though. That's another guy's job to fix and maintain and if you don't do that quest it could lead to the shield coming down.

wait nyra is the cleric option? look more as a separatis/alb option (based on his diary)
There are no better options as far as I'm aware. There is no Cleric technician.
Both Outlaws are incompetent went it comes to tech. Berserker guy says he knows nothing. Nyra meanwhile is a crafting trainer. Just make sure to pay her so she feels better. You get the money back from Vivian.

imweasel

No.

At the beginning of the game they are very helpful and much more powerful than the PC, but their abilities decline very fast.

Jinn

Arcane
No.

At the beginning of the game they are very helpful and much more powerful than the PC, but their abilities decline very fast.

I think this depends quite a bit on which companion it is. Arx, for example, is still an absolute beast at around level 15. I also have yet to see a companion actually die. They get knocked down for a second, then get right back up.

Either way, if you want to really challenge yourself, just go without a companion unless the quest involves them somehow. That will be your best bet.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Companions are only good as bait so you can safely hump someone's ass with your weapon actually doing damage.

Not sure how better they become with leadership skill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom