Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Game runs poorly in my computer. :negative: Guess I'll have to pull a Witcher 3 and wait until I have a proper videocard to play ELEX in all its glory. :cry:

You shamed yourself with copious begging and you don't even have a computer that runs modern games? Bwhahaha, that is so :stupid:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Game runs poorly in my computer. :negative: Guess I'll have to pull a Witcher 3 and wait until I have a proper videocard to play ELEX in all its glory. :cry:
Specs?

Cc5cVQJ.png

My videocard is really shit, I've had it for the past three years.

Parabalus

Arcane
Anybody here read German?

Looks like the devs did an interview about the attribute concern:

http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/elex-attribute-ohne-wirkung-feature-und-kein-bug,3321408.html

I do not read German, but the poster on the original site says they confirm the game is working as planned.

TLDR. is attributes doing nothing is PB's intention. Game is 'HUGE' so for difficulty to remain relevant throughout only gear (weapons) does shit. Some skill descriptions are garbage but deal with it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Specs?

Cc5cVQJ.png

Tried turning down everything? Make sure to turn down scaling in video to 100%. Scaling is a FPS killer. What model card is that exactly? RX 570 in my country is 120€ and should easily run it with flying colors.
miknvd.png

I can run the game with most things aside from render range, texture size and shader quality on low at 40-60FPS with stuttering at times.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Tried turning down everything? Make sure to turn down scaling in video to 100%. Scaling is a FPS killer. What model card is that exactly? RX 570 in my country is 120€ and should easily run it with flying colors.
miknvd.png

I can run the game with most things aside from render range, texture size and shader quality on low at 40-60FPS with stuttering at times.

I turned down everything and still feels slightly sluggish. Even then, though, I'd rather just wait and play the game as it is meant to be played. Money isn't a problem in the sense of "how much it is worth", I just don't have a source of income (I should get around getting a job ASAP for reasons other than ELEX).

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Like who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have quickslots 1-9/0 and be unable to reassign them in 2017? Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have spells work as equippable items since, like, fucking Morrowind? With my 1-3 taken up by a melee weapon and two ranged weapons I regularly use, and my main PSI Amplifier on 4, you've basically ensured that I'll never be able to effectively use anything else in combat, because I need to let go completely of my movement keys, which is a big fucking nono, especially in a game where you fucking dodge by double-clicking for some godawful fucking reason.

This wasn't even OK 10 years ago.

I know this is heresy, but melee in this game is way, way, way better with a controller. Switching from K&M to controller got rid of a lot of the frustration and "jankiness." I suspect Piranha Bytes designed it with a controller in mind.
And that's fucking unacceptable, considering that K&M are objectively superior. If you play with a controller, you're retarded, and if you accept this as some kind of developmental excuse from PB, you belong in the gulags.
Anybody here read German?

Looks like the devs did an interview about the attribute concern:

http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/elex-attribute-ohne-wirkung-feature-und-kein-bug,3321408.html

I do not read German, but the poster on the original site says they confirm the game is working as planned.
"Attribute(s) without effect, feature and not a bug".

Lmao, PB confirmed for utter fucking rejects.

Kitchen Utensil

Like who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have quickslots 1-9/0 and be unable to reassign them in 2017? Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have spells work as equippable items since, like, fucking Morrowind? With my 1-3 taken up by a melee weapon and two ranged weapons I regularly use, and my main PSI Amplifier on 4, you've basically ensured that I'll never be able to effectively use anything else in combat, because I need to let go completely of my movement keys, which is a big fucking nono, especially in a game where you fucking dodge by double-clicking for some godawful fucking reason.

I know this is heresy, but melee in this game is way, way, way better with a controller. Switching from K&M to controller got rid of a lot of the frustration and "jankiness." I suspect Piranha Bytes designed it with a controller in mind.
And that's fucking unacceptable, considering that K&M are objectively superior. If you play with a controller, you're retarded, and if you accept this as some kind of developmental excuse from PB, you belong in the gulags.

PC masterrace retards who think everything else than mouse and keyboard sucks belong in gulags. Or are you one of those geniuses who insist on playing their fighting games, flight and racing sims with mouse/kb? Consoletards who buy FPSs belong in gulags. But guess what, even PC players are so retarded nowadays that some of them prefer to play FPSs with gamepads—they also belong in gulags.

I agree though, a game like ELEX should have been developed for mouse and keyboard. But it's been obvious for a while, since they first showed the UI to be precise, that this game was developed for controllers. Retarded decision on PB's end, but technically this game sucks anyway, so that's just one little aspect of that.

imweasel

Cc5cVQJ.png

My System: Ryzen 1600X + RX480 + 32GB DDR4

I am averaging about 60 FPS with everything maxed out @1080p. A new GPU should solve your problems.

ArchAngel

Arcane

PC masterrace retards who think everything else than mouse and keyboard sucks belong in gulags. Or are you one of those geniuses who insist on playing their fighting games, flight and racing sims with mouse/kb? Consoletards who buy FPSs belong in gulags. But guess what, even PC players are so retarded nowadays that some of them prefer to play FPSs with gamepads—they also belong in gulags.

I agree though, a game like ELEX should have been developed for mouse and keyboard. But it's been obvious for a while, since they first showed the UI to be precise, that this game was developed for controllers. Retarded decision on PB's end, but technically this game sucks anyway, so that's just one little aspect of that.
Fighting games can be played on Keyboard easily. And it is better than standard console controller but not better than fightsticks.

Murk

Arcane
IMO KB + M is fine once you get used to it. I wouldn't want to use a gamepad when aiming with long range weapons, though it explains why they have aim-assistance (aka autoaim) built into the game.

The biggest consolization travesty is the damn interface. Really 9 steps back on that one.

imweasel

The Inventory UI is pure consolized garbage and much easier to navigate with a controller.

But you can switch between KB + M and controller on the fly, so that is what I am doing depending on the situation.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The glib definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. As you yourself pointed out, lots of combat is messed up with keyboard and mouse in this game. I tried to play it the “right” way but I dislike giving myself rage attacks. So I grabbed a controller and what do you know, I can dodge! My melee attacks are more responsive and connect more frequently. I only have eight hotkeys but they’re swappable and easy to access.

What can I say? They totally made this game for a controller (also explains the lousy inventory system/general UI issues). I don’t defend them designing Elex around inferior tools, but they did. Given that fact, I’d rather use the inferior tool and have the game work better. You seem to really dislike Elex’s control scheme so I don’t know why you’d object other than a pseudo-autistic aversion to anything that feels like a console.

Would you eat soup with a fork?

In the scheme of things I just can’t make myself care about PB pandering to the console crowd. I’m sure they thought they had good business reasons, even if by most accounts it barely runs on some older consoles.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
IMO KB + M is fine once you get used to it. I wouldn't want to use a gamepad when aiming with long range weapons, though it explains why they have aim-assistance (aka autoaim) built into the game.

The biggest consolization travesty is the damn interface. Really 9 steps back on that one.

You are dead right about bows/guns. I swap back to the mouse whenever I’m shooting something from a distance.

Kitchen Utensil

Fighting games can be played on Keyboard easily. And it is better than standard console controller but not better than fightsticks.

Yes, bad example.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Holy Crap, Animal Trophy rank 3 makes a bunch of mutants drop natural Elex

Whoa. Now thats tempting

They drop with trophy rank 2 as well.

Not the humanoid Mutants or Bug Mutants.

Yeah, I cannot recommend getting three ranks of animal trophies strongly enough. Great way to make money from the increasingly valuable junk and also save money on raw elex.

Has anyone else had an issue with Alrik and Rat no longer restocking raw elex? Other merchants still restock—doc and the general goods merchant in the Fort off the top of my head—and someone in the Hort although I’m still learning the layout of cleric’s homebase (haven’t been to origin yet).

ortucis

Prophet
So, just spent like half an hour reloading quicksaves and manual saving (managing) during a quest where a Cleric guy (some guy called EBIHASDFJkhHBT) assaults Alb converter after I picked a commander for him.

So there I was effortlessly clearing every enemy with my maxed out blackhole, along with Nasty, when we come to the end game where all Clerics along with EBICHSTJHT are making their stand.

Good luck using ANY cleric power in that clurseterfuck cause it WILL end up hitting one of the fellow Clerics and what's their logical response while duking it out with 3 Alb mechs and multiple soldiers? Turn around and try to kill me, ALL OF THEM, for hitting them even once. Also, they were so hell-bent on martyring that EBIAUSDHGFO guy that no matter what you do, you cannot save him. I reloaded and tried over and over replaying that fight, but they just kill him as fast as possible to make him a hero in the story.

After spending 46 hrs in this game, THIS is what has made me just stop. AI is just fucking stupid, controls are shit and game forces choices upon you, even in dialogues where you are never given an option to use your Jedi Mind Trick in majority of sections for no reason at all. This is like sitting through Supergirl TV show and wondering why Martian Manhunter won't just control the minds of his enemies (but in Supergirl case, they come up with a moronic "His mind is blocked").

Meh. Gonna stop playing for now. I think I've squeezed all the entertainment out of it anyway. Maybe I'll continue after the patch.

PS: BTW, that quest was so easy, the challenge was me trying not to hit any of my own allies cause they turn around and try to kill me instead.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Level-scaled respawning mobs in my PB game :argh:

I teleported to the Abessa converter (drone one) and there was a mountain troll 30 feet from me. That was definitely not there the first time around.

Jinn

Arcane

I teleported to the Abessa converter (drone one) and there was a mountain troll 30 feet from me. That was definitely not there the first time around.

Just out of curiosity, have you progressed in terms of chapter since the last time you had been to Abessa?

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

Just out of curiosity, have you progressed in terms of chapter since the last time you had been to Abessa?

Nope (I did join a faction though, but still on chapter 1)

I began suspecting this when I saw packleaders in the area around Goliet in abundance but this seals the deal.

Tigranes

Arcane
Good luck using ANY cleric power in that clurseterfuck cause it WILL end up hitting one of the fellow Clerics and what's their logical response while duking it out with 3 Alb mechs and multiple soldiers? Turn around and try to kill me, ALL OF THEM, for hitting them even once. Also, they were so hell-bent on martyring that EBIAUSDHGFO guy that no matter what you do, you cannot save him. I reloaded and tried over and over replaying that fight, but they just kill him as fast as possible to make him a hero in the story..

I hit allies plenty of times while fighting in other contexts, and they seemed to be pretty forgiving of a few hits here and there, similar to previous PB games. I wonder if you hit them too many times, or if there's something different about that fight, or something?

Jinn

Arcane
Nope (I did join a faction though, but still on chapter 1)

I began suspecting this when I saw packleaders in the area around Goliet in abundance but this seals the deal.

That is truly sad to read, but I must say that it seems to be handled better in this than pretty much anything else I can think of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom