Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Flamethrowers are OP as fuck. Set that bitch to fireball mode and with enough ammo you can kill anything at any level without it even touching you.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yeah, flameballs are absolute bullshit and completely break the balance. Have problems killing something? Oh, just spam fireballs and have your enemy be permanently stunlocked while he slowly ticks down. The flame jet mode is completely pointless too because I think it even deals less damage while taking up more ammo and having no knockback.

Raapys

Arcane
Flamethrower fireball attack, PSI Black Hole, Plasma energy rifle and presumably also Berserker Fireball spell are all the same. They all do at least as much damage as their single-target counterparts, but do it in an area while knocking over everything within X radius of explosion. Which means that as soon as you can breach enemy's DR, you can kill any enemy without getting hurt using said weapons/skills.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Ebessa Dispute would have been a nice C&C feature if everything about it wasn't bugged and broken. Some people just have that quest unclosed like me, while others get results actually opposite to what they were doing, like outlaws winning while player worked against them or whole place destroyed even if you didn't give the part and armed city with robocops :shittydog:

I didn't understand what happened in my game either, I tried giving separatists a chance but they joined with outlaws in rebellion, although I didn't give outlaws any guns and weakened them in all quests. In the end clerics just painted everything red with murderbots when idiots rebelled and city left standing with clerics & berserkers, sooooo I guess this is fine.
I just got done with it. I screwed it up though.
I'm playing as Outlaw so my goal was to get Outlaws and Separatists to take over as they'd need Separatists to maintain the shield. I gave Riley the shield generator so he screwed it up. Outlaws rebelled and took over but shield came down when Albs attacked and they murdered everyone. A few Outlaws escaped to tell me what happened and that was it. Not sure what would have happened with the Separatists. I helped Fenk and got the Clerics to let them stay and gave Nyra the engineer job.

Just got done murdering all the Albs in the city, but nothing has changed.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Flamethrower fireball attack, PSI Black Hole, Plasma energy rifle and presumably also Berserker Fireball spell are all the same. They all do at least as much damage as their single-target counterparts, but do it in an area while knocking over everything within X radius of explosion. Which means that as soon as you can breach enemy's DR, you can kill any enemy without getting hurt using said weapons/skills.
What's interesting is the DoT which goes through enemy armor. I made an energy sword from my regular sword using cleric upgrade skill and it does same DoT as black hole spell. You just need to hit enemy once and then wait and hit him again. Eventually he will die regardless of his skullfag nature.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Yeah, flameballs are absolute bullshit and completely break the balance. Have problems killing something? Oh, just spam fireballs and have your enemy be permanently stunlocked while he slowly ticks down. The flame jet mode is completely pointless too because I think it even deals less damage while taking up more ammo and having no knockback.
It's not just fireballs. It's also plasma shots, black hole PSI, etc., etc., etc.

The issue isn't that these things are overpowered, it's that the combat is so bad that disabling tactics like that is basically the only thing you can do with it. It's either that, or violently smash your keyboard as you double-tap and do the repetitive combat mambo for 10 minutes in a fight that by all rights should've been over in a few seconds. Unless, of course, you already hit hard enough to actually have the combat be over in just a few seconds, in which case you don't use disables anyway.

The fact that they all do AoE so that you won't have to deal with the fact that shots travel so fucking slow that the enemy can literally walk out of the shot's way is a godsend, too. Just shoot in their general vicinity and stunlock them and it'll all soon be over.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah, it's ironic. PB did magic best in Gothic 1, mostly due to low hp enemies which made several spells viable. Since then, starting with G2, it's been all downhill. Either magic is useless due to hp bloat(G2), or there's just a single damage/mana efficient spell(G3, Risen series, ELEX).

Magic in Gothic 2 is actually very strong right off the bat, but only if you know what spells to go for. Gothic 1 is certainly heaps easier for people who wish to just lob projectiles at enemies and watch them die. Ice Lance is alright as a damage spell for the damage it does and how early you can get it (2nd circle), but you'll be starved for mana at that point of the game. You can kill shit more reliably with your attack spells once you get Large Fireball which is a 4th Circle spell. Actually, the strongest way to start a Magic-User in Gothic 2 is to grab the Create Goblin Skeleton spell. I've written about this before in the Gothic thread, but it's an incredibly strong spell. There isn't a limit to how many you can summon. You can easily kill Trolls, for example, by summoning a bunch of Goblin skellies while chugging pots (so you can summon more) from a safe distance as your horde whacks away at the poor troll. It's too slow to reliably hit any of your goblin skellies so they'll die most likely due to time decay rather than getting killed with damage.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Ebessa Dispute would have been a nice C&C feature if everything about it wasn't bugged and broken. Some people just have that quest unclosed like me, while others get results actually opposite to what they were doing, like outlaws winning while player worked against them or whole place destroyed even if you didn't give the part and armed city with robocops :shittydog:

I didn't understand what happened in my game either, I tried giving separatists a chance but they joined with outlaws in rebellion, although I didn't give outlaws any guns and weakened them in all quests. In the end clerics just painted everything red with murderbots when idiots rebelled and city left standing with clerics & berserkers, sooooo I guess this is fine.
I'm playing as Outlaw so my goal was to get Outlaws and Separatists to take over as they'd need Separatists to maintain the shield. I gave Riley the shield generator so he screwed it up. Outlaws rebelled and took over but shield came down when Albs attacked and they murdered everyone. A few Outlaws escaped to tell me what happened and that was it. Not sure what would have happened with the Separatists. I helped Fenk and got the Clerics to let them stay and gave Nyra the engineer job.

I don't understand why separatists join outlaws against clerics. What's their motive? I also wasted meh 500 credits on Nyra.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sure there were some complaints, but even on the codex the den of mentally ill, autistic unsufferable people it was choosen in the poll as best RPG of 2015[or best rpg of all times? dont remember exactly]

That's because the 'Dex has 2 "audiences", one is the very vocal kind which shits on everything bad, while the other is peacefully coexisting in the decline threads or lurking in the shadows, pushing action games like Twitcher 3 high on the RPG polls. It should say something that Age of Decadence and Twitcher 3 were both voted for GOTY of that year, they had like 2-3 vote difference.

But government should invest the money in something that is promising, and can bring monetary gains. Very expensive art that appeals to very narrow group, should be left to be sponsored by private individuals, since it's very niche.

That's the opposite of true. The governments should invest in the "niche" arts because there is almost nobody else to do it. And they do do that btw, the strong Polish musical school of the 20th century was only possible due to the intervention and aggressive investment from the government. We wouldn't have composers like Penderecki or Lutoslawski if that wasn't the case. The age of aristocratic patronage of the arts is long gone, so there is no realistic possibility of wealthy individuals sponsoring anything like that in the current zeitgeist. The government shouldn't be a collective business that invests in anything with the sole intention of making more money out of it, the collection of taxes is where it makes money from.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I'll give the game this - I fucking love how it fucks you up for doing stupid shit. Like:
The fucking guy straight up tells you that dude, this shield is fucking bonkers, unstable as fuck, and it's about to go fucking boom, and we need to fix it. Here, you go get this to the maintenance guy. And what do you do? You hand it over to be tinkered with by a retard toaster repairman because he wants to open up just a small part of the shield so he can get out if things heat up. Serves you the fuck right for being retarded.

This isn't the only time the game fucks with you for operating on popamole Skyrim gaming logic, though. There's a quest in Edan to find a group of separatists, and - retarded as I am - I decided to tell the guy that gave me the quest that they're peaceful and that he should send someone there to negotiate with them, because they're looking for allies. I did this despite him straight-up telling me repeatedly how much he fucking hates Albs. That was me being a retard, because go figure, when I finally meet up with the separatist leader, he blames me for the death of these dudes and I'm like "Wait, what the fucking fuck?", and I go back to Edan and 'lo and behold, the fuckers are dead, sent by the guy that initially gave me the quest.

I mean, I exacted revenge on that asshole right then and there, but I love how the game does that. Most of the quests are shit, but I've really started to appreciate how the quests are interwoven and affect eachother and almost all can be done out of sequence. The dialogue almost universally is a fucking travesty, it's a bug-ridden fucking mess, a bunch of sentences make no sense at all, and sometimes I can't react to it properly (like in the situation with the separatist leader), but the idea is great and the fact that they got it all working so well on a more fundamental level is actually really cool.

That and the exploration, the environments, etc., completely carries the game. It doesn't redeem it by far - the fact that the character development is shit, the crafting is shit, the combat a complete fucking travesty on a level unforgivable in 2017, the controls and animations clunkier than soviet-era Lada, and the UI is worse than a hatefucked lovechild of Skyrim and Fallout 3, is enough to sink it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well that viking basically ranted how he wants to kill all the albs and rape their corpses so I lied to him and thus seps were alive when I checked on them. Although their quest kinda ended there without any real closure.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I don't understand why separatists join outlaws against clerics. What's their motive? I also wasted meh 500 credits on Nyra.
In this particular case, I can't say for sure (because I haven't played that out), but:
The separatists are quite up front about their intentions and how they will play the factions against eachother to avoid any one getting the upper hand and thus be capable of stopping them. Which most of them would be willing to do, since they're still very much Alb supremacists and believe in reaching the next stage of evolution - they just hate the Elexetors and The Hybrid. They're still all about the Elex and shit.

It's honestly weird as shit that they don't seem to mind at all when you shut down their own Converter, like, right after they give you the codes. If they wanted to do it themselves, they could've just taken the elevator up.
Well that viking basically
ranted how he wants to kill all the albs and rape their corpses so I lied to him and thus seps were alive when I checked on them.
Although their quest kinda ended there without any real closure.
Yeah, I was retarded. I was still operating on nu-RPG logic where everything works out if you're just honest and then everyone can get to live together and there's never any unforeseen consequences because you're a dumbass.

I was a dumbass and I paid for it. It was awesome.

Grimlorn

Arcane

I got all 500 back from Vivian when I talked to her after giving Nyra the job. Although I paid her up front.

The Separatists might want to rebel if they are about to get kicked out because Jorg testifies against them. This may be necessary if you want them to rebel along with the Outlaws, although I simply convinced him not to testify and helped Fenk. So not sure which way it would have went.

Well that viking basically ranted how he wants to kill all the albs and rape their corpses so I lied to him and thus seps were alive when I checked on them. Although their quest kinda ended there without any real closure.
I gave the Berserker the coordinates and he murders them, then if you criticize him for murdering them, he'll attack and try to kill you. He's an asshole. The leader of the Separatists will accuse you of having something to do with the Separatists death. I'm not sure it changes anything though.

Murk

Arcane
New patch should fix the haggle bug. Since money is basically endless in this game, I never bothered with it.

Potentially spoilery question about Falk.

Is he a cyborg/android/robot?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
So I finally decided on joining the Berserkers, and the recruiter that walks around Abessa and daterapes you unless you have suggestion unlocked and takes you to the Hort told me that I am a disciple of mana and blah blah blah and that I corrupt my body with Elex? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Is putting some Elex technology brain chips in your body any different?

Is he a cyborg/android/robot?
Complete the quest and find out. But just to answer your question.....
Yes he is.

kain30

Cipher
My god, now I understand why jax is called an Alb. everytime I go from inside somewhere to outside I get fucking blind!. Is there an config file to tweak this?

Elex

Arbiter

there is soo many trigger form that quest that i have no idea if is bugged or working as itended.

the guard cleric guy is supposed to massacre the outlas at the entrance but all the time i try he get massacred and killed if i don't help him.
I'm Polish and I very much wanted the Witcher to be good. I freaking LOVED TW1.
And sure, some aspects of TW3 are good. But itemization is terribad and pure, distilled decline.
Chardev... CDP RED never really got this right. But, comparatively speaking, this system was most impactfull in TW1. In TW 3 it's far worse.
-"take this legendary weapon owned by my family for generation"
open inventory
look at weapon stat
it's 20 level underlevelled, instant merchant trashed.

Elex

Arbiter
Turns out mutants are pretty resistant to radiation damage. Keep that in mind when changing the damage type of your weapon via the upgrade system. Bleeding doesn't work against robots I assume. The additional socket might be the best choice.
i love stuff like that.
i die inside when "kill the fire elemental with fire spell" happen.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Just checking in to inform that this game is indeed great despite its minor problems. Every time I launch it I'm genuinely excited. It was years ago when any game could excite me at all. I don't even remember what that would be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom