Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline 250 shitty RPGs over 15 shitty years: 1996-2010

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The best years for PC role-playing games: The Role-playing Game Renaissance (15 consecutive years: 1996-2010)

Untitled3.jpg

tl;dr: 2000.

Excerpts from the yearly entries:

It could just be wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to think that if Diablo was released as per its initial pitch of turn-based roguelike instead of realtime roguelite, it would have been untouchably great. Also, for those wise old owls that know about copper and hardware scrolling, it is obvious that this game would have looked even better on the Amiga.

Fallout's influence has also been incalculable; for example, there would be no Arcanum, no Planescape: Torment, no Mask of the Betrayer, and no New Vegas or Alpha Protocol without it.

Deus Ex is an almost perfect game; it's why Y|yukichigai referred to his Shifter mod as 'removing what little of the "suck" there is in Deus Ex'. So yeah, when you have a hardcore modder trawl through a game's code and find almost nothing wrong with it, that right there is proof.

Tarant has its own subway system, diplomatic negotiations, gang warfare, orc uprising, thieves' underground, telegraph office, university court, shipyards and sprawling sewer system. It hosts 60 addresses, 15 sidequests, multiple pathways for exploration and quests (dependent on character build), loads of quality stat-based dialogue, and its own newspaper that publishes headlines based on how the player solved quests.

ToEE is also one of the most beautiful isometric RPGs. Take Hommlet for example: streams are animated to give the impression they're gently flowing, trees wave in the wind and leaves fall from them, chimneys plume smoke, the waterwheel rotates gently at the mill, the blacksmith strikes hammer to anvil, and lanterns flicker by night.

Not just famous for its reactivity and peerless dialogue, Bloodlines is also infamous for its bugs and annoying graphical glitches. There are two options available to the player that address such complaints and both of them demand equal footing: the Unofficial Patch by Wesp5 and the True Patch Gold Edition by Tessera. The former is controversial among purists in that its Basic patch goes beyond bug fixing and into the realm of "unnecessary changes". Thus, they favor the latter. Unfortunately, UP has been officially bundled with the GoG version and thus will need to be uninstalled before applying TPGE.

To the disgust of all, Oblivion introduces extreme level scaling, leveled loot and a UI gimped for console controllers. It even manages to disappoint Elder Scrolls fans, who aren't hard to please. But the aggressive marketing campaign conducted by Bethesda leading up to Oblivion's release drowns out criticism and ensures its financial and critical success.

Oblivion With Guns - the most pernicious RPG in history along with Oblivion - is released. Pure poison to the genre, it drives veteran Fallout fans into unbridled buttmadness. It wasn't enough for Bethesda to shit on their own franchise, you see: for chump change, they had to acquire the Fallout franchise from a bankrupt Interplay and soil that, too.

Thank you for reading, and don't forget to vote on the poll!

The best years for PC role-playing games: The Role-playing Game Renaissance (15 consecutive years: 1996-2010)

Poll is at 2300+ votes and counting.

2000%2Bvotes.jpg

Poll extended to around 2030. Vote while you can :lol:

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
No 1989, 1992 or 1993? :decline:
But I agree with 2000 for those years listed.
Also, for 1999 you could add Age of Wonders. It's more of a cRPG than HoMM 3 is.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Ok, added it in and credited you. But yeah, this is just for my blog's treatment range.

PrettyDeadman

Most of the games in the list aren't even turn-based. What a shame.
Obv. 2003 is the best: Silent Storm and TOEE are the kangs. The rest should be laughed off stage.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Really great write-up, but I'll be damned if I can choose the best year. I forgot how many games were spread out over those 15 years.

wyes gull

Savant
'99
PS:T, JA2 and SS2 is arguably the strongest trio in there (by year). Surprised by '10, though- Warband, F:NV and Alpha North Col is pretty respectable. If only the latter 2 were as fun to play as they are to fuck around in...

laclongquan

Arcane
2000. Its sheer number of great tittles just beat other downs like a pack of redheaded stepchildren.

No Silent storm sentinels and Hammer & sickle entry? Not that the years they appear would get much strength against 2000's magical appearance.

A sidenote: the problem of KNighs of chalice is the sheer idiocy of its code. I still can not run it once ~ I am an idiot, I meant Massive Chalice, not KotC. Never did interest me, KotC. It is Massive Chalice that I cant get it to run :tehe: :oops:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
A sidenote: the problem of KNighs of chalice is the sheer idiocy of its code. I still can not run it once ~

Are you sure that's not your computer's fault rather than the game's? You seem to be the only person who ever mentions this. I feel sure if there was a problem with the code it would be the only thing everyone talked about.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Certainly there are individual favourites amongst other years, but if we're talking about the quantity of great RPGs, the legacy they established, and how they hold up today, it's got to be the year 2000.

Cross

Arcane
The period of 1988-2004 would have been a far better choice to highlight as a decade and a half of great RPG releases. It would have spanned the release of the first D&D-based game (Pool of Radiance) all the way up to the demise of Troika. The period from the mid-2000's and onwards is very barren by comparison (and it's telling that half of the descriptions are complaints about the likes of Oblivion and Bioshock). It also would have prevented gaffes like this:

Strife is notable for being a precursor to Deus Ex.
The Ultima Underworld games and System Shock are the actual precursors of Deus Ex, with all four games even sharing the same producer.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I went with 1999 because JA2 and PS:T but 2000 is the strongest contender after that. 98 With BG and FO2 also for me.
I'd like to be able to see what people voted so far though :P

wyes gull

Savant
Just noticed, no Silver on that list? Surely it deserves the nod.

Silver_Coverart.png

And despite being described as a "survival simulator", I'd jot down Deus as worthy too ??? Then again "complicated FPS" would probably be a more apt description. Haven't played it in years but don't remember any character progression.

f2udzqte38fgj9nyoyde.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom