Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Josh Sawyer wants to make a historical RPG

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Steampunk is what you make of it, and rejecting it simply because some use it in a shallow fashion hints at a very simple mind. Steampunk is merely a vehicle, and it could be either Arcanum or the Edison Bar with cogs glued to your forehead; it's entirely up to the creator

Most video-game designers don't have the time and creative energy to produce the next LoTR.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A remake of Darklands, with some gameplay and UI improvements, would be good enough for me.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Steampunk is what you make of it, and rejecting it simply because some use it in a shallow fashion hints at a very simple mind. Steampunk is merely a vehicle, and it could be either Arcanum or the Edison Bar with cogs glued to your forehead; it's entirely up to the creator

Most video-game designers don't have the time and creative energy to produce the next LoTR.
It doesn't need to be LotR, and LotR is a really shitty analogy since it already pulls primarily upon greatness in an era shock-full of great shit. Really, an average GM of an average PnP RPG can tell an awesome story and create an awesome scenario in any setting. You don't have to be fucking Tolkien to do something cool.

Tell a court drama in a steampunk setting. Have all the flying machines and all the gears and cogs and flying ships outside the window, and set the entire thing inside, above and below the Forbidden City-sized royal court of not!-Victorian Britan. Don't let the player take a single step outside, in the dirty streets of not!-London, merely allude to it, make references.

Create the scenario of a not!-German colonial soldier fighting the not!-Vietnam War in an era of post-Bismarckian not!-Wilhelminism, with the themes of colonialist supremacy and war is hell mixed in with pathological tea-drinking and an upper class of completely detached officers. Drop napalm from dirigibles.

Have a fantasy steampunk setting in which fantasy and magic is not in strict opposition, and set it in a frontier not!-America with elements of weird west; investigate a murder, become a sheriff, turn to banditry and become an outlaw, uncover a plot of cannibal indians preying on a cult of incestuous pilgrims. Kill them all.

"Steampunk" is simply a vehicle for the imagination and the narrative, and an excuse to create scenarios and situations that may not otherwise arise, and to obsess over the aesthetics - or worse, obsess over the aesthetics because others are obsessing solely over the aesthetics - is retarded. It's OK to say "I don't like the aesthetics of steampunk, and therefore I will not use it" or "I don't feel I need the narrative vehicles of steampunk for the story I want to tell or the setting I want to create, and attaching it would merely be aesthetics and therefore largely meaningless", but to say that Steampunk is only aesthetics and therefore stupid and all these other people that care all about the aesthetics and nothing else are stupid and badwrongfun means you're nothing short of a faggot.

It is what you make of it. You don't want gas-lit cities with steam cars and tesla-fueled gauss rifles and flying ships? That's fine. You can go for something else. You don't have to like the same things. But if you say that steampunk sucks because there's faggots that think of it as and use it merely as an aesthetic, gluing cogs to chimney hats and calling it steampunk, you're just another person that would glue cogs to chimney hats and calling it steampunk, if only you liked steampunk. So instead, you glue <insert preference> to <insert other preference> and call it <whatever is appropriate as determined by preferences>.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

It doesn't need to be LotR, and LotR is a really shitty analogy since it already pulls primarily upon greatness in an era shock-full of great shit. Really, an average GM of an average PnP RPG can tell an awesome story and create an awesome scenario in any setting. You don't have to be fucking Tolkien to do something cool.

Tell a court drama in a steampunk setting. Have all the flying machines and all the gears and cogs and flying ships outside the window, and set the entire thing inside, above and below the Forbidden City-sized royal court of not!-Victorian Britan. Don't let the player take a single step outside, in the dirty streets of not!-London, merely allude to it, make references.

Create the scenario of a not!-German colonial soldier fighting the not!-Vietnam War in an era of post-Bismarckian not!-Wilhelminism, with the themes of colonialist supremacy and war is hell mixed in with pathological tea-drinking and an upper class of completely detached officers. Drop napalm from dirigibles.

Have a fantasy steampunk setting in which fantasy and magic is not in strict opposition, and set it in a frontier not!-America with elements of weird west; investigate a murder, become a sheriff, turn to banditry and become an outlaw, uncover a plot of cannibal indians preying on a cult of incestuous pilgrims. Kill them all.

"Steampunk" is simply a vehicle for the imagination and the narrative, and an excuse to create scenarios and situations that may not otherwise arise, and to obsess over the aesthetics - or worse, obsess over the aesthetics because others are obsessing solely over the aesthetics - is retarded. It's OK to say "I don't like the aesthetics of steampunk, and therefore I will not use it" or "I don't feel I need the narrative vehicles of steampunk for the story I want to tell or the setting I want to create, and attaching it would merely be aesthetics and therefore largely meaningless", but to say that Steampunk is only aesthetics and therefore stupid and all these other people that care all about the aesthetics and nothing else are stupid and badwrongfun means you're nothing short of a faggot.

It is what you make of it. You don't want gas-lit cities with steam cars and tesla-fueled gauss rifles and flying ships? That's fine. You can go for something else. You don't have to like the same things. But if you say that steampunk sucks because there's faggots that think of it as and use it merely as an aesthetic, gluing cogs to chimney hats and calling it steampunk, you're just another person that would glue cogs to chimney hats and calling it steampunk, if only you liked steampunk. So instead, you glue <insert preference> to <insert other preference> and call it <whatever is appropriate as determined by preferences>.

Post of the year

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Steampunk is the worst genre of science fiction.

But Arcanum was pretty sweet and I miss it.

I somewhat agree. Steampunk could be presented very well in a video game. The setting is not the problem, it's the implementation of it that is. Of which Arcanum did a very good job of it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Steampunk is the worst genre of science fiction.

But Arcanum was pretty sweet and I miss it.

I somewhat agree. Steampunk could be presented very well in a video game. The setting is not the problem, it's the implementation of it that is. Of which Arcanum did a very good job of it.
Only good steampunk games that i can come up with,are Arcanum and Bioshock.

Prime Junta

Only good steampunk games that i can come up with,are Arcanum and Bioshock.

Bioshock is dieselpunk (1930s aesthetic). No airplanes airliners in steampunk.

edit: corrected careless use of a term, early airplanes can be steampunk

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I can see why Josh wouldn't like steampunk. It's a top heavy setting centered almost entirely around aesthetics. It doesn't have any underlying themes or conflicts or what have you. It's just people wearing monocles and cool hats. Not very interesting setting to work on if you're as autistic as he is.

Steampunk that mixes themes from classic XIX-century horrors though, that's genuinely cool.

What gave you the idea Josh doesn't like aesthetic for aesthetics sake? Josh's problem with steampunk I imagine is because it's basically absurdly reductionist, so much so that it is a parody of itself and in direct thematic conflict, perhaps ironically, with an era he is interested in namely the early industrial period.

I am fairly certain he is diametrically opposed the term steampunk itself and all the baggage it follows, and the fact it eclipsed 19th century world history and not 19th century aesthetics, nor alternative technology level industrial period aesthetics with zeppelins and what have you. That's what I deduce from his twitter messages at least.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Whenever people say they want to make an "historical" setting, or worst yet, a "realistic" historical setting, what they are really taking about is a representation of a particular era filtered through modern lenses and "reinterpreted" according to modern beliefs and ideals. It doesn't seem anyone is actually interested in representing those particular eras as people living in those times experienced them. And because of this, what you get most of the times is essentially modern society with an "historical" theme slapped on top of it. Can you really call that "history"?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Whenever people say they want to make an "historical" setting, or worst yet, a "realistic" historical setting, what they are really taking about is a representation of a particular era filtered through modern lenses and "reinterpreted" according to modern beliefs and ideals. It doesn't seem anyone is actually interested in representing those particular eras as people living in those times experienced them. And because of this, what you get most of the times is essentially modern society with an "historical" theme slapped on top of it. Can you really call that "history"?

Josh discussed this in that huge interview. :M

vonAchdorf

Arcane
That's something Sawyer is aware of and I think he has always shown interest in trying to understand the times and people and not just use them as an aesthetic backdrop. It's a given, that some things are incomprehensible to a modern point of view.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Josh discussed this in that huge interview. :M

Can I have a link for that?

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It doesn't seem anyone is actually interested in representing those particular eras as people living in those times experienced them.

Darklands did a great job of that. It wasn't even set in the 1400s. It was set in what people in the 1400s thought their world was like.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Darklands did a great job of that. It wasn't even set in the 1400s. It was set in what people in the 1400s thought their world was like.

Most historical games don't take that sort of approach now, for better or worse.

Grubba

Arcane
He wants to make something set in the 19th century? Do a goddamn Western RPG! So much potential there and yet it's been totally ignored (i think?). Why is that? Too boring and passé? Your grandfather's ideal RPG setting? Would be a refreshing change from medieval sword & sorcery or post-apoc

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I think a Westworld style RPG would be cool. SCI-FI in creation of historical. The plot could have you visit both and there would be lots of room for improvisation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom