Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

epeli

Arcane
It will most probably get updated per-area, like in any good exploration game.
Even better, the updates are more granular than per-area. When you enter a new zone it's basically just an empty box. As Styg said in the dev log, both static features (buildings, elevators, etc) and encounters become visible on the map as you see them. Transition lines become visible as you travel through them. And, of course, certain areas won't have maps at all or only have partial ones. Old good Depot A is a nice example of the latter: Styg said it will have a map since it's a part of the lower caves layer, but the areas below Junkyard won't be mapped. Ahh, I can't wait to see a new player generation complaining that the map sucks because they got lost in the bowels of Depot A and raped by mutants.

Jazz_

Arcane
Is there another way to enter Ephaestus Research Facility if you don't have tnt with you? There are rocks blocking the passage and I don't fancy going all the way back just to buy tnt...:M

ciox

Liturgist
Is there another way to enter Ephaestus Research Facility if you don't have tnt with you?

I don't think so, the optional "TNT checks" are usually only for small secrets or alternative routes that let you get the drop on people. It's almost always a good idea to bring TNT when people send you to some bumfuck area of the Lower Underrail caves anyway.

I don't fancy going all the way back just to buy tnt...:M

http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2867.0

Jazz_

Arcane
So I'm inside now and all the gates are closed, I don't have the required hacking skills to hack them open and I don't see any alternate route. I was looking at some other guy walkthrough and the gates were open for him from the get go, he didn't have to do anything, weird?

uXLLhzy.jpg

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Man all this talk about UR makes me want to do a playthrough, but aehhhhh... gotta *RESIST* the urge and wait for the expansion + vanilla patch !

Styg you beautiful motherfucker! Hurry up ;)

ciox

Liturgist
I think you can open some of those shutters by pressing the keypads on the walls, then you find keycards and eventually open almost everything.

Jinn

Arcane
Latelistener Basically it comes down to how having a map affects gameplay. And having one does affect gameplay.
You losing yourself in a network of unexplored tunnels filled with every sort of undesirable, alone and only relying on your senses to get to where you want to go, because that network of tunnels is completely unmaped, because you can still rely on common sense to find your way.

Alsto lets not forget the effect this has is a net positive because it adds to the atmosphere the game is trying to create. Because suddenly exploration becomes trivial, and because all the tools for survival are already provided for you.

I feel like a good compromise would have been finding map sections deep within the general area you are exploring. It would combine rewarding exploration with a very rewarding piece of loot, while still allowing the player to get lost and discover the game world for himself.

EDIT: Someone probably said the same already in different words, but that's my vote!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man all this talk about UR makes me want to do a playthrough, but aehhhhh... gotta *RESIST* the urge and wait for the expansion + vanilla patch !

Styg you beautiful motherfucker! Hurry up ;)
I for one can't wait to do the replay just to check out the Hard mode renovations. Apparently now it makes enemies smarter instead of just pumping up their stats.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Nice. My pioneer attempt at getting all oddities is no longer so impressive.

Have you checked the hidden container in a pipe next to the Hardcore City Bar? There's a Train Log in there.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Also

In Evelyn's house in Foundry, there's a hidden trapdoor that leads to a different part of her bunker. There's a hidden unmarked box there that contains a dice oddity. Might need 10 PER to spot it.

Zenith

Arbiter
Tygrende :salute:
Sure enough, you're right on both of these.

For posterity then, here's all the stuff that's possible to collect before DC:
ulVzyiD.png

(that's not really the max amount either, but close enough)

Tygrende

Arbiter
Tygrende :salute:
Sure enough, you're right on both of these.

For posterity then, here's all the stuff that's possible to collect before DC:
ulVzyiD.png

(that's not really the max amount either, but close enough)
You can get the other Ancient Rathound Tooth by looting the one in the Arena. Just saying.

Lhynn

Arcane
About to start the game again.

Im going for a psi unarmed stealth character

Will be a tailor/electronics crafter with some points into chemistry and mechanics (basically a 50/50 split between the two).

My problem is that i have to drop both hacking and lockpicking, how important would you guys say they are?

Black Angel

Arcane
My problem is that i have to drop both hacking and lockpicking, how important would you guys say they are?
While it can help a lot to avoid some combat encounters, if you're not into looting every single containers you can definitely skip putting points into hacking and lockpicking well into around mid game.

Lhynn

Arcane
While it can help a lot to avoid some combat encounters, if you're not into looting every single containers you can definitely skip putting points into hacking and lockpicking well into around mid game.
And for the whole run?

Zenith

Arbiter
You can get the other Ancient Rathound Tooth by looting the one in the Arena. Just saying.
Yeah, that's my first one. There's one at Rathound King's (alive in my game), and another one (RNG-based) in the Gauntlet, but you get enough of them in DC, so whatever. Can kill a bunch of faceless to get the masks, too.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Never forget: The Underrail font used to look really good and actually added to the game's atmosphere.

a02579030e.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom