Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Update #44: Camping System in Action

LOL, check out the bro-fist in the UI. It is in the lower center/right of the screen right above the last couple portraits

Because it's shaping up nicely along with other parts of the game? And devs actually have a very solid track record, so there's a good chance it might be actually decent?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Oh boy, so much naivete in one line...

1) No, they don't have a "solid track record". That some of them worked on Evil Islands, which is PRETTY OBSCURE (that most people here didn't play), doesn't even mean they can make a mediocre game 20 years later, as some studios have demonstrated recently.
And they made HOMM V which was shit.

2) That mechanics are "shaping up nicely with other parts of the game" is expected of EVERY game that ever ships. Doesn't mean it'll be good. What they show you is a fucking camp with NPC's saying voiced lines and you get your bed wet with excitement? You can see more mechanics on #ScreenshotSaturday twitter than in their update.

1) No, they don't have a "solid track record". That some of them worked on Evil Islands, which is PRETTY OBSCURE (that most people here didn't play), doesn't even mean they can make a mediocre game 20 years later, as some studios have demonstrated recently.

2) That mechanics are "shaping up nicely with other parts of the game" is expected of EVERY game that ever ships. Doesn't mean it'll be good. What they show you is a fucking camp with NPC's saying voiced lines and you get your bed wet with excitement? You can see more mechanics on #ScreenshotSaturday twitter than in their update.
I think they made silent storm too

PrettyDeadman

How do you explain that fact that Pathfinder looks like the best rpg on the market right now other than by prestigious pedegree of the developers?
Surely you are not proposing that some random people with zero experience just came together and accidently created the greatest rpg ever made?

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alexander Mishulin: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/alexander-mishulin/credits/developerId,45934/

Production
Allods Online (2011) (Manager)
Blitzkrieg 2: Liberation (2007) (Directors of Development)
Blitzkrieg II: Fall of the Reich (2006) (Directors of Development)
Blitzkrieg 2 (2005) (Directors of Development)

Design
Allods Online (2011) (Creative Director)
Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East (2007) (Creative Director)
Heroes of Might and Magic V (2006) (Lead Designer)
Night Watch (2005) (Creative Director)
S3: Silent Storm - Sentinels (2004) (Lead Game Designers)
Etherlords II (2003) (Game Design)
S2: Silent Storm (2003) (Lead Game Designers)
Etherlords (2001) (Game Design)
Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul (2000) (Level Design)

ArchAngel

Arcane

How do you explain that fact that Pathfinder looks like the best rpg on the market right now other than by prestigious pedegree of the developers?
Surely you are not proposing that some random people with zero experience just came together and accidently created the greatest rpg ever made?
That is a bold statement considering nobody has seen any real gameplay yet except what they made to pitch the game to KS and publishers.

What we get in the end might be better but also might be much worse.

Just to show you what I am talking about lets compare with Xcom Enemy Unknown.
This is their pitch video before game release:

This is what we got:

If you look close enough you will notice how the first video has proper time units while second one has 2 action system.

That is a bold statement considering nobody has seen any real gameplay yet except what they made to pitch the game to KS and publishers.

What we get in the end might be better but also might be much worse.

Just to show you what I am talking about lets compare with Xcom Enemy Unknown.
This is their pitch video before game release:

This is what we got:

If you look close enough you will notice how the first video has proper time units while second one has 2 action system.

damn that original movement/action mechanic looked awesome. I guess they decided millennials might rage quit though if they had to consider any numbers beyond 1 and 2 in their 'tactical' planning.

HOMM 5 was solid mechanics wise, shoddy engine and art direction ruined it. This looks nothing like it. Evil Islands was very good for it's time. Silent Storm is one of the best game in the genre and so on.

All of the games they worked on except the last two (MMOs) were good design wise, so idk what's your point is. Besides, them mmos are the way they are because of suits, not incompetent devs. A few people I know worked on Skyforge and that shit was a mess.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I smell Darkest Dungeon and I like it. I detest pathfinder setting but should they appy this to Pillars of Eternity II it'll be awesome

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Alexander Mishulin: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/alexander-mishulin/credits/developerId,45934/

Production
Allods Online (2011) (Manager)
Blitzkrieg 2: Liberation (2007) (Directors of Development)
Blitzkrieg II: Fall of the Reich (2006) (Directors of Development)
Blitzkrieg 2 (2005) (Directors of Development)

Design
Allods Online (2011) (Creative Director)
Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East (2007) (Creative Director)
Heroes of Might and Magic V (2006) (Lead Designer)
Night Watch (2005) (Creative Director)
S3: Silent Storm - Sentinels (2004) (Lead Game Designers)
Etherlords II (2003) (Game Design)
S2: Silent Storm (2003) (Lead Game Designers)
Etherlords (2001) (Game Design)
Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul (2000) (Level Design)

I'm sorry, you must either be an exquisite connoisseur or you just cite games that you haven't played. Because I only tested Allods Online and HOMM5 from that list and it was shit.

But let's not turn blind eye on that list, let's all play Night Watch and see how masterfully they must have adapted the Russian marvel-try-hard franchise into the game. Considering I only heard about it today, it must have some truly amazing dame design and creative direction, correct? What Night Watch has, your Pathfinder game will have. If NightWatch is 54% on metacritic, don't just ignore it and say that Owlcat has a nice track record.

2e34b836e5bd1592b983138574fa7237.png

Turn based? Yummy!

fd6c4c9c0bbcae07511ba224777c9b60.png

because of suits
Sorry, "evil publishers" is a trademark registered by Brian Frank Fargo. You can't just use it anywhere you like.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wasn't trying to make a point, just providing information. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Sorry, "evil publishers" is a trademark registered by Brian Frank Fargo. You can't just use it anywhere you like.

Fair enough. But in this particular case I have some first hand experience with suits in question. Mail.ru is every stereotype about big publishers thrown together and then some.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This looks fucking awesome...
How can you get SO hyped from a video of a party taking a rest. That doesn't even remotely make or break the game. What do you see in this that I don't?

One of the problems with 'rest' in the Infinity Engine-influenced lineage of RPGs is that you can spam it. Pillars of Eternity "solved" this by limiting the number of rests a party can have before going back to town, effectively punishing the player with a busywork timer. This is also a timer, but with the addition of 'elevator music' party banter and possibly other events.

How can you get SO hyped from a video of a party taking a rest. That doesn't even remotely make or break the game. What do you see in this that I don't?

One of the problems with 'rest' in the Infinity Engine-influenced lineage of RPGs is that you can spam it. Pillars of Eternity "solved" this by limiting the number of rests a party can have before going back to town, effectively punishing the player with a busywork timer. This is also a timer, but with the addition of 'elevator music' party banter and possibly other events.

well and possibly dying. Otherwise we might call every combat encounter, or dialogue 'busy work' unless it was hand placed and part of the plot.

I would not actually mind playing a game like that though, with 90% less combat encounters and nearly all of it hand placed (with some minor variation or wandering monsters, but not trash mobs-- instead actually difficult). It would remind me of how we used to play actual AD&D modules back in the day. Now we all think trash mobs are just part of RPG, but I would love to see someone move away from that. As well as move away from endless magic items. I liked when a +2 longsword/ +3 vs. lizard-men was an exceptionally rare and named item with back story instead of color coded 'magic' item pinatas.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

well and possibly dying. Otherwise we might call every combat encounter, or dialogue 'busy work' unless it was hand placed and part of the plot.

I would not actually mind playing a game like that though, with 90% less combat encounters and nearly all of it hand placed (with some minor variation or wandering monsters, but not trash mobs-- instead actually difficult). It would remind me of how we used to play actual AD&D modules back in the day. Now we all think trash mobs are just part of RPG, but I would love to see someone move away from that. As well as move away from endless magic items. I liked when a +2 longsword/ +3 vs. lizard-men was an exceptionally rare and named item with back story instead of color coded 'magic' item pinatas.
Did you enjoy TToN?

Did you enjoy TToN?

Did not play it. Too edgy and tries too hard.

Besides What I wrote above about preferring less trash mobs and less loot magic pinatas , I also generally prefer 'simple' and more grounded adventures where you are not 'saving the world' or some special 'chosen one', or the offspring of a god; but more akin to a mercenary, or involved with local conflict, small wars, local political intrigue or hired to explore some faraway place for a specific purpose and not saving the entire universe but more like accomplishing a task for somebody who wants to increase their wealth or power or whatever.

Its for this reason that I often will play the beginning of many RPG's but around the 70% mark I find myself not interested anymore because I have magic everything and do 686 damage when I hit.

I prefer the levels 1-10 to put it in DnD terms, and tend to become less interested the higher the levels go.

Its why I never played Baldurs gate throne of Baal, and found it hard to even want to finish Baldurs gate II..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom