Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Heretic

Cipher
I just pumped 190 arrows into an enemy until they went down.

Are all enemies relentless bullet-sponges in this game or something?

So far, I laugh at anyone retarded enough to pre-order this shit.

This is the whole game if you don't follow the ''exact'' path,like someone else said,it's like a puzzle,you have to follow the pattern and never stray from the path otherwise you will encounter bloated corpses even worse than D;OS 2.It's bad,mmo korean bad,Gothic 1-2-3 never had this kind of problem,you still did some mild damage even when you were a little pip-squeak,but if you ever got hit you were mince meat.

In Gothic 3 you could go mano a mano with Orks from the start,it was believable and I never felt overpowered at all at the start,but it made sense you knowing how to fight after what you encountered in Gothic 1-2.They could have done something similar here,but the AI is so bad that I think they had to compromise by HP bloat and cheesy one shoting.
Either they are incompetent to make games anymore or maybe some key people left from the studio,but this is embarassing.
I just wanted to correct your statement re Gothic 1, which I've been replaying the last days. I have a beginner char, level 5, strength 15, weapon with 20 dmg and I absolutely cannot damage mid-tier enemies like swampsharks or snappers. The hits do absolutely nothing to them. So this element has been there since PB's very first game.

Elex

Arbiter
One of the companions had an interesting opinion on the Berserkers idea of growing the world hearts. Sure they grow up everything around them, but what is the end result? Will they get so big that they just engulf the entire planet and ruin the ecosystem?
go in the exile valley i have seen some scary stuff connected to world hearts

Xeon

Augur
Is there a new game plus? Kinda want to halt my current playthrough and do another playthrough with a different faction but if there is a NG+ then I'll wait.

I like the outlaws, their skills kinda sucks tho but I like their personalities and quests. I developed quite the dislike for Berserkers, jackasses keep complaining every fucking second.

Not much opinion on the Clerics since I didn't do a lot of questing on their turf but from watching a stream, Guns seems to do very little damage and their spells aren't that great. Streamer was playing on Ultra tho so that might be why.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
- The combat mechanics are utter garbage. The game is unplayable once the PC enters combat. There is no excuse for this shit. 1st Gothic had better combat.

Whenever I read comments like this I wonder: is it someone who took time to understand and master the system and STILL thinks is garbage or someone who just mashed the Space key or left mouse furiously as he is used to from traditional action games, screaming from frustration and ragequitting after five minutes?

I remember similar reactions when Gothic 2 came out, all the wailing it's retarded and bad and stupid controlz and never again. I installed, started the game, played for half an hour and thought I had never played an action RPG with a more engaging, fun and carefully thought out melee combat. Then Gothic 3 shat the bed a bit (tho it got much better with the community patches) and Risen 1 pushed the combat envelope even further, becoming hands down the best action combat in any RPG for me before I played Dark Souls.

Fuck I just wanna play this game already.

I know I should not do this but fuck it.

I have 50+ hours in the game, my character is lvl 35 and I'm using the same weapon and tactic from lvl 10. Reason? There are no combat mechanics to be learned. At least not for a melee build.

Tactic 1. Turtling behind the shield until the opponent stamina is gone and then click left mouse button until he is dead.

Tactic 2. Use jetpack, attack from above and then click left mouse button until stamina is gone, dodge until jetpack is available and rinse and repeat.

Yeah, I know there are a lot of smart-asses out there but these are the only working strategies for me. I wish I would be able to lie about how parrying and dodging are working and shit but the truth is: THEY DON'T WORK because the KEYBOARD CONTROLS ARE BROKEN. /Sorry for Caps Lock

If you left click then sometime the player's character attacks or he doesn't ... you never know.

If you press SPACE then sometimes he jumps or he flies ... you never know.

If you try to dodge then sometimes the character dodges or simply walks slowly ... you never know.

Sometimes you press a key and then it takes 2-3 seconds until the character does something.

Note: The shit above doesn't happen because the stamina is gone. The shit above happens because PB did not properly test the mouse + KB controls.

I'm a peasant using a Logitech mouse and a 150 Euro keyboard (Filco Majestouch-2) which were perfectly suitable for all of the Dark Souls games. Which were far more engaging than the shit combat from ELEX.

Bottom line: Please play the game and then tell me how you mastered shit with broken controls. Until then fuck off.

Tigranes

Arcane
My dude attacks when he's told to attack, he jumps with space and flies with double space, he dodges with double tap and moves with single tap, he doesn't respond if I'm spamming click 80 times a second.

That's for Elex. Similar rules apply to G1/2/3 & R1.

No idea what particular combination of errors is causing your butthurt but I don't really care (although I wonder why anyone plays 50 hours of anything in that way without quitting)

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Whenever I read comments like this I wonder: is it someone who took time to understand and master the system and STILL thinks is garbage
I mastered all three gothic games combat and I made a thread saying that combat is garbage in all of them. It is possible.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
YZRQeQb.png

game over, men

sullynathan

Arcane
maybe possible, but more probable that you are simply just garbage at combat...
I don't know, it's very easy to progress in early parts of Gothic without fighting then just stomping enemies around because combat is garbage in all three games especially when you play as a mage/wizard and just spam high level spells.

One thing that Gothic 1 had though is the glitch that allows you to negate fall damage which just let me run away from every enemy when I wanted to speed through the game

Seethe

Arbiter
maybe possible, but more probable that you are simply just garbage at combat...

The combat is objectively garbage, at least in ELEX. That it looks and feels clunky is one thing, but if it's dodge based and it has severe hitbox issues, that's a HUGE problem. It's irrelevant whether you are good or bad at the combat, if you're good at it, you're good at something that's shit. Not exactly worthy of a medal.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
What do you guys think of Arx? Should I help him and tag him along? Will other factions freak out seeing him?

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
When I was discussing with a friend regarding buying the game, he said "Did you ever buy a Gothic or Risen game for the combat?" When I said no, I bought the game. I am very happy and pleasantly surprised with the combat. It serves it's purpose much better than I initially expected.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
What do you guys think of Arx? Should I help him and tag him along? Will other factions freak out seeing him?

He's a cock and seems impossible to please. Good for an evil/high cold character I guess. No one cares when you bring him along but you may get extra dialogue sometimes.

I had Caja ask Ragnar "Where do you get your shards?" and he said "From my magic shard hat." lol

YZRQeQb.png

game over, men

Where dat? Gimmeh!

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
In grand Gothic tradition you can easily abuse the hell out of the trolls by running behind them after they attack and stabbing their butts. Rinse and repeat for how many thousand of strikes it takes.

ortucis

Prophet
If you left click then sometime the player's character attacks or he doesn't ... you never know.

If you press SPACE then sometimes he jumps or he flies ... you never know.

If you try to dodge then sometimes the character dodges or simply walks slowly ... you never know.

Sometimes you press a key and then it takes 2-3 seconds until the character does something.

Note: The shit above doesn't happen because the stamina is gone. The shit above happens because PB did not properly test the mouse + KB controls.

I can confirm, all this shit is happening regularly for me too. I've confirmed this before as well.

Game has way too many bugs, from visual glitches to controls on PC that just stop working. It's like PB went out of its way to piss of their fanbase on PC with broken controls and shit UI combo.

Oh and they can maintain same difficulty while replacing the combat with Fable's. They keep experimenting with combat in every fucking game and every time, majority of people still say the same thing. Combat is shit.

Naraya

Arcane
By watching random ELEX streams, I gather that:

- this is not a game, it is a looting simulator
- loot everything including toilet paper and hammers, as things are apparently weightless
- (mature) players have a problem with doing elementary math - they don't know the difference between > and < signs and will rather click randomly on numbers until the combination works
- twitching boobs - I want to know why developers thought it'd be a good idea?
- pointless lockpicking and "hacking" minigames are so innovative and immersive
- so far it feels like a much worse futuristic Witcher

- more to come...

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
If you fail the timing mechanism very badly you won't attack. That's by design. I have never had a problem with anything that you both are saying in the 50 hours I've played, so I can confirm that your guys problems are either bugs or you are doing it wrong.

Edit: If you are falling you only have to hit space once to start jetpacking. If you are starting from the ground you have to hit it twice. You can only dodge if you are not in an attack animation and you have 1 or more stamina.

Last edited:

odrzut

Arcane
I kinda like hacking minigame, but I only did it like 10 times so far, so maybe it gets tedious.

Regarding combat - I'm level 18, I usually cheese the shit out of everything (go on nearby mountain/roof, shoot once, let your companion shoot 5 times, shoot again, etc). Some enemies have much smaller range (for example Fighting Collosus mechs) - so if you choose apropriate hill/roof to shoot them - you can do it with 0 risk. Their plasma shots just disappear before they hit you. It might be a bug, because I think I remember shooting some mech from hill and getting wrecked, reloading, doing it the same way, and then his shots had too small range to reach me. But I'm not sure.

I'm using laser rifle, but even with cultivator's bow you can hit them from that range if you shoot in an arc (taget a spot above them, depending on the distance - that's kind fun BTW).

I only melee if there's just one enemy, or if the enemies are really, really weak. I haven't had problems with non-registering keys, but I had problems with attacking not the enemy I wanted (and I refuse to use broken lock-target system). I noticed that the controls feel much more responsive now, than on level 1 - I think it's because I have like 60 dexterity, and 40 constitution, but it may be placebo effect. Anyway - I don't mind going melee vs 1 opponent, you can dodge (jump+side is better than rolling, and when no stamina just fly away and wait). It's even fun vs enemies that are your level. Also I haven't bothered to time my melee to get the best combos, I just click as soon as possible to ensure that I keep the initiative, and fly away when I have 0 stamina.

Also - why the fuck does laser rifles have such big recoil in auto mode? If light worked like this the best 1-stage rocket to orbit would be a flashlight.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Big time streamers are kind of dick-holes most the of the time it seems, but I liked what CohhCarnage said about it. I hope it's helping PB out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom