Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You Spam Click to the beat of the timing bar in the bottom left hand.

i dont even look at it

(primarily because its half-obstructed by hotkey slots on my 5:4 screen FFS)

bataille

Arcane
Also, Jax had been mind controlled by the Hybrid prior to the raider incident, so he didn't have a will of his own, nor was he utilizing his own skills.
From what I've gathered so far, the albs are some sort of a hivemind with a centralized nerve center called the Hybrid which distributes the ranks and positions and objectives among its subjects and bestows them with brainpower accordingly. (I may be wrong, I'm not that far into the game.)
So there's that as an excuse for starting as a blind kitty.

frajaq

Erudite
So what's the best way to use the ELEX potions? Using the small ones for XP is a straight up waste, correct? At the very least I should refine to a better version once

CreamyBlood

Arcane
how great the Commander Jax is in the art of war
WAS not IS.
Are you reading text with your butt?

Played DS and intend to play DS3 later, Elex impressed me - what I'm doing wrong here?

You stupid russian inbreed,I know it's hard for you mutants out there in Siberia to comprehend but let me explain it again.

Jax was on the aircraft going on a mission,he got shot down,then he was barely grazed by a some mumbo jumbo elex gun and somehow in half a day,mister Jax forgot everything,from holding a gun to being incapable to even equip a sword and a pair of pants,are you fucking kidding me.
This has to be the most retarded premise I have ever seen to start as a weak protagonist and some of you are too thick in the head to swallow this shit.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but are you bitching about the back story to an intro to a game? Obviously this has been done a million times, introducing an amnesiac as a level 1 character and inserting them into some framework of a story and then 'the game'.

Have you ever been a DM in a DnD campaign? I mean, I suppose they could have inserted him as a Level 19 with armour then scaled everything up, and just ignored the tutorial and cut initial exposition and familiarity with the keys, discarded any introduction and made him uber then let him ROLFstomp everything.

It can work. My first introduction to DnD was in the seventies, Tomb Of Horrors. Go look it up. Yes, super high level, massive party wipes. Never finished it. Never played that through to the end, ever. I think Homlet might have been a better introduction but sure, I was hooked, I loved RPG's forever after that horrible night. 10' poles. Yep.

Anyways, I'm used to the trope. Perhaps you should make a game where you start off in a rational universe and are super tough. Vin Diesel or something, but tougher, then jump right into the politics and kill all the underlings. Could be fun.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn pickpocket is OP. Got the level 1 skill, and now got pretty good amount of money, i finally can buy better weapon, train and better ammo

You run out quick though. You know those nice looking armors on high ranking members of any faction? You have to take out a small loan to be able to afford them :)

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You don't need to look at the bar. Just click at the end of each swing animation, the timing takes like five minutes to get right for each weapon.

ortucis

Prophet
WAS not IS.

Played DS and intend to play DS3 later, Elex impressed me - what I'm doing wrong here?

You stupid russian inbreed,I know it's hard for you mutants out there in Siberia to comprehend but let me explain it again.

Jax was on the aircraft going on a mission,he got shot down,then he was barely grazed by a some mumbo jumbo elex gun and somehow in half a day,mister Jax forgot everything,from holding a gun to being incapable to even equip a sword and a pair of pants,are you fucking kidding me.
This has to be the most retarded premise I have ever seen to start as a weak protagonist and some of you are too thick in the head to swallow this shit.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but are you bitching about the back story to an intro to a game? Obviously this has been done a million times, introducing an amnesiac as a level 1 character and inserting them into some framework of a story and then 'the game'.

Have you ever been a DM in a DnD campaign? I mean, I suppose they could have inserted him as a Level 19 with armour then scaled everything up, and just ignored the tutorial and cut initial exposition and familiarity with the keys, discarded any introduction and made him uber then let him ROLFstomp everything.

It can work. My first introduction to DnD was in the seventies, Tomb Of Horrors. Go look it up. Yes, super high level, massive party wipes. Never finished it. Never played that through to the end, ever. I think Homlet might have been a better introduction but sure, I was hooked, I loved RPG's forever after that horrible night. 10' poles. Yep.

Anyways, I'm used to the trope. Perhaps you should make a game where you start off in a rational universe and are super tough. Vin Diesel or something, but tougher, then jump right into the politics and kill all the underlings. Could be fun.

Is someone wants all the blanks filled in for the beginning, Jax was in a craft going at top speed, he crashed. He survived, but most likely has suffered from selective amnesia cause of brain damage. He can remember to fight and run or use basic equipment, but more advanced uses need to be re-learned. While you play, his body heals, he remembers more (the flashbacks you get).

There, blanks filled, now play the fucking game.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
WAS not IS.

He's not amnesiac you fucking retard,he remembers everything,the elex withdrawl from his system is also a crap excuse because I'm chugging elex like coca-cola every time I get the chance.So no,it doesn't work because the elex withdrawl does nothing to you,if you are strong willed,if you read the journal in the first berseker town,you will realise this.You will lose some strength agreed, but to lose the capability to wipe your own arse,give me a fucking break.

Also why the fuck are you making a comparison between a DM,DnD and an Arpg,you stupid mongrel,why do you come with these vapid arguments that make no sense.Stop replying to me,you embarrass yourself.No wonder devs get away with shit writing and stories,morons like you will eat shit no matter what.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Glad they understood. Next time will test the translation in Google and Bing beforehand though :lol:

TOv7sIG.png

TOv7sIG.png

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Just gave a small test to stats.

I have 20 CON and a bunch of spare attribute points. Went against the battlemech at the converter and got shot. Took screenshot.

Reloaded, raised CON to 32, got shot again, took screenshot.

The HP bar is in the exact same spot.

CON confirmed for not raising HP.

I'm pretty sure this also means the other stats don't raise anything at all either and are only there to act as skill/gear gates...

CreamyBlood

Arcane
[

That said tho, it's irrelevant. The fact a traditional RPG like Elex is not focused primarily on combat doesn't mean it can't have the best combat ever. Problem with melee combat is Dark Souls probably invented the perfect formula and anything that deviates from it always inevitably feels inferior, whether it's Witcher, Elex, Skyrim or anything else. Question is whether we really want that perfect Dark Souls formula in every real-time RPG from now on till the end of time. Seems to me developers think it would get old pretty soon so they rather implement something inferior but different. Myself, I don't really know.

So, is it possible for me to use a keyboard & mouse in this superiour 3D melee combat game that "invented the perfect formual" with my almost three decades of muscle memory or would I need to buy a console controller and learn how to use a completely and new (to me) interface to fully appreciate this amazing game called Dark Souls? I just find it interesting how after a couple of decades of using a PC to interact with 3D games that Dark Souls completely fails at translating it to that medium. I use ESDF and right mouse button for movement and bind the rest depending on the game. I've never had any luck with Dark Souls trying to do that with AutoHotKey or anything else. Am I DOOMed to using a controller for this particular 3D action game?

And if so, then maybe comparing an action fighting game that requires a controller to play compared to an adventure RPG isn't really that fair? I'm not sure. Maybe the hybrids amoung us could explain it better. Perhaps I should be playing ELEX on a console and 'get guten' for a better 'experience'?

I'm quite a few hours in, have more quests than I can handle leaking out of my ying-yang, have gotten my ass raped and also fought the battles that I could. I'm still having fun. I'm sorry that this isn't Dark Souls, but if it had been advertised as that, I wouldn't be playing it right now and thank god it isn't.

At the moment, after a decade of mostly shit games, I'm quite happy that I'm not driving down the highway listening to Sante Fe talk radio while trying to back trucks into parking stalls, for fun! Do you have a wheel asshole? Would that work for ELEX or Dark Souls?. Mine works great for American Truck Simulator. Can Dark Souls park a truck for me? Yeah, I didn't think so. Or maybe it can. Perhaps Dark Souls can park trucks with precision, using a Thrustmaster F430 wheel. You never know. Maybe I can drive Jax around with my wheel, I never considered the possiblilty before but perhaps it's possible. I think there's like nineteen buttons I can configure plus I can steer left and right. Could be fun!

I'm looking at the patch notes right now and don't see a single thing they've 'fixed' that affects me in any way, including the combat. Should I be pissed off about the combat for some reason, other than getting my ass kicked on many occasions?

Anyways, best game of my last decade, I'm so happy they made this for me. I feel special. I also hope that you are happy with your games too!

EXLAX!

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

I have 20 CON and a bunch of spare attribute points. Went against the battlemech at the converter and got shot. Took screenshot.

I'm pretty sure this also means the other stats don't raise anything at all either and are only there to act as skill/gear gates...

It's just a great simplified UI dude,you dont need to know how much hp,mana,exp,resistance you have,just go with flow and experiment.

I still can't believe they got away with this shit,absolutely no fucking information about your char,just a bunch of non-sense attributes that show absolutely nothing beside being an excuse for level gated items and some mumbo jumbo skills.Even the worst console games have better UI and detailed char sheet,but here we are,the great PB is bringing back the hope.

Even fucking Andromeda had better UI and detailed char sheet,fucking pathetic.

bataille

Arcane

Maybe it raises the amount of health that's given on level ups? One way to test it is to equip the amulet that gives 20 hp, measure the darkened portion of the health bar (it raises the max health, so the red portion visually shrinks) then level up with and without con boosts, and finally unequip the amulet, equip it again and measure the black area again.
Too much hassle, yes, but the science demands it.

Last edited:

CreamyBlood

Arcane
He's not amnesiac you fucking retard,he remembers everything,the elex withdrawl from his system is also a crap excuse because I'm chugging elex like coca-cola every time I get the chance.So no,it doesn't work because the elex withdrawl does nothing to you,if you are strong willed,if you read the journal in the first berseker town,you will realise this.You will lose some strength agreed, but to lose the capability to wipe your own arse,give me a fucking break.

Also why the fuck are you making a comparison between a DM,DnD and an Arpg,you stupid mongrel,why do you come with these vapid arguments that make no sense.Stop replying to me,you embarrass yourself.No wonder devs get away with shit writing and stories,morons like you will eat shit no matter what.

I'm sorry, I don't know the ending of this story but are you saying that the game sucks because you don't like the intro to the game because it has thrown you for a loop? The 'narrative' has fallen apart and you can't continue any farther because it didn't quite 'gel' with the actual game that develops shortly after? That's the impression I was getting from you but it's quite possible that I missed your point.

We're talking about video games here right? Fiction? Movies? High literature?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I just pumped 190 arrows into an enemy until they went down.

Are all enemies relentless bullet-sponges in this game or something?

So far, I laugh at anyone retarded enough to pre-order this shit.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

I just found this myself in Tavar. It's cute, reminds me of the days when games were made with love and the developers weren't a nameless evil jew megacorporation with talking heads who show up on stage like Todd Howard. Note that the picture I found was picture 8, so there's quite a few of these scattered around Magalan.
WmmjW.png

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I am still waiting to hear how this game is mechanically better than Andromeda or Fallout 4 to reap so much praise, when those games are completely despised.
So what's your explanation of this phenomenon then? People didn't like Andromeda and Fallout 4 out of spite?

None of the points in your article couldn't be applied to any Bioware game of the last 6 years.
Right.

- Instead of starting you off as a mighty Chosen One, you played the role of a convict with a very short life expectancy in a world where nearly every living thing could kill you in two hits
- Factions played a large role in the game, but instead of blessing a local faction with your attention, you had to convince a faction of your choice that you’re worthy and work your way up the ladder
- Somehow PB managed to conjure a living & breathing world which became an instantly recognizable trademark
- The first half of the game (until the faction choice) was amazingly non-linear and full of choices and multiple solutions, which were still a rarity in 2001.​

Which Bioware game of the last 6 years do these points describe? I didn't play Andromeda or Inquisition, but Bioware's been peddling heroic fantasy from day one. Their games are about wish fulfillment: do you want to be a mighty hero, a total badass, the best of the best? Do you want to be sexually attractive to every member of your team, men, women, aliens, bullheaded dudes? Do you want to save the world, nay, the universe? In such games the universe revolves around the player and you don't have to prove shit to anyone or follow anyone's rules.

Gothic and Elex are pretty much the opposite in terms of design and I'm surprised you can't see that.

bataille

Arcane

The damage mitigation in this game is simple addition and subtraction. So you probably have too few points in combat skills and a weak weapon. From what I can see, even the stronger enemies don't have a lot of health, you just need to pass a certain threshold to start dealing damage. At the game's start I couldn't damage reavers, but once I changed a 24 damage bow for a rifle with 45 damage and got 2 levels of ranged combat, the reavers started to die in 2 shots.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

Different enemies have resistances to different attack types I think. My stats with ranged and melee weapons are basically the same, but I can deal at least 3x the DPS against rotboars with my chainsabre. The beginning ranged weapons suck shit too so if you want to go ranged you'll have to join a faction for better weapons because I think no one sells you any of the good ones unless you join them.

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

This is the whole game if you don't follow the ''exact'' path,like someone else said,it's like a puzzle,you have to follow the pattern and never stray from the path otherwise you will encounter bloated corpses even worse than D;OS 2.It's bad,mmo korean bad,Gothic 1-2-3 never had this kind of problem,you still did some mild damage even when you were a little pip-squeak,but if you ever got hit you were mince meat.

In Gothic 3 you could go mano a mano with Orks from the start,it was believable and I never felt overpowered at all at the start,but it made sense you knowing how to fight after what you encountered in Gothic 1-2.They could have done something similar here,but the AI is so bad that I think they had to compromise by HP bloat and cheesy one shoting.
Either they are incompetent to make games anymore or maybe some key people left from the studio,but this is embarassing.

ortucis

Prophet
Has anyone found out who that little ghost girl near Cleric area is? I am still exploring, trying to find her, I keep hearing her voice every now and then.

Unless, it's not in-game..

Checks the basement..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom