Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

tet666

Augur
And how do I shot web update .iso with the update in .pkg?
In PPSSPP you simpy had to put an update /dlc file in the proper emu folder.
Does it work in RPCS3?

All I get is info about doing this on real hardware:

http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/integrate-ps3-pkg-updates-in-iso-files.31899/

And stuff like this:

http://www.ps3hax.net/2013/05/psn-pkg-decryptor-extractor-v1-71-released/

:?

Nah you install pkg's with Rpcs3 (file->install .pkg) it does everything on it's own just like a real PS3.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Recent progress has inspired me to try the PS3 emulator. However, although the game seems to run quite well, I'd rather not play Dragon's Crown without the 1.06 update. Any help? Trying to search for the update file itself just brings up discussion of the patch or at best, the files for the vita version.

https://ps3packages.herokuapp.com/

(it's legal, updates are directly from the source, it's just a search ui for them)
Well that part worked, but sadly the game doesn't run as well as I initially thought. Spirites started vanishing for several seconds at a time near the end of the first stage, and the audio is stuttering and slowing a ton when basically anything on screen is moving at all. Might just be a lack of hardware on my end. Running an amd 6300 processor and GTX 750 card. FPS stays around 55-58 with occasional dips lower but the audio slows down way more than that, as though it's running at like 20fps.

tet666

Augur
Recent progress has inspired me to try the PS3 emulator. However, although the game seems to run quite well, I'd rather not play Dragon's Crown without the 1.06 update. Any help? Trying to search for the update file itself just brings up discussion of the patch or at best, the files for the vita version.

https://ps3packages.herokuapp.com/

(it's legal, updates are directly from the source, it's just a search ui for them)
Well that part worked, but sadly the game doesn't run as well as I initially thought. Spirites started vanishing for several seconds at a time near the end of the first stage, and the audio is stuttering and slowing a ton when basically anything on screen is moving at all. Might just be a lack of hardware on my end. Running an amd 6300 processor and GTX 750 card. FPS stays around 55-58 with occasional dips lower but the audio slows down way more than that, as though it's running at like 20fps.

Well your CPU might be a bit slow but you also don't mention how you configured the emulator, have you set the Renderer to Vulkan? Preferred SPU threads shouldn't be left on auto either it's the worst performing setting which causes the audio to stutter set it at least to 1, use strict rendering mode in the GPU tab to fix the vanishing sprites.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That helped a ton, thanks! Still have to test the worst areas, but I think it'll be basically playable now.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have a beast of a threadripper here - that is, 16 actual CPU cores - and I find it pretty odd that RPCS3 performs worse the more SPU threads you grant it.
Which is to say, at the moment, you get the best performance out of it if you give it exactly 1 SPU thread.

tet666

Augur
Yeah i heard of that dunno i doubt it will change till the SPU LLVM is finally ready and replaces the current SPU ASMJIT recompiler, should also give games which rely on it a lot like Persona a good boost.

I finally decided to try RCPS3 to play Dragon's Crown - something I've wanted to play since release but couldn't justify buying a shitty console for.

Luckily it works well for the most part, I get some audio crackling but nothing too terrible. Doesn't v-sync work with Vulkan? I'm getting crazy screen tearing even with it on. I haven't tried forcing it at the driver level yet. edit: forcing it at the driver level works. Awesome.

dcrownp1sne.jpg

edit: holy shit, this emulator works for a lot of stuff I didn't expect it to: it runs Resogun perfectly, which is a really fucking awesome game (by the makers of the even more amazing Nex Machina):

resoguny1sdq.jpg

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Last edited:

tet666

Augur
Audio should be mostly fixed by setting SPU threads to at least 1 as i posted above, KD-11 was working on the v-sync for vulkan as far as i know and implemented some kind of adaptive mode but apparently it still doesn't work correctly (or the frame limiter might be be overriding it dunno), but yeah driver level v-sync should always work.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, OP has been declined.
  • Amiga: added FS-UAE
  • NES: added Mesen
  • Snes: added Higan core (Byuu alert!)
  • n64: added m64p
  • VBA: added mGBA
  • DC: added Reicast (replaced nullDC) LOL, no GUI, no proper Win port = GTFO
  • PS1: added PGXP (teachings of Brother Gragt finally found their way into the Official Doctrine)
  • PS2: added list of games supporting alternate display modes (progressive scan, 16:9, etc.)
  • PS3: added RPCS3
  • PSP: added link to 60 FPS patches
  • Wii U: added Cemu
  • Xbawx 1: added links to EmuGen wiki, 'cuz all emus still suck ass.
  • Xbawx 2: added Xenia
If you have any other suggestions, please let me know - I'll probably ignore them anyway.

:rpgcodex:

Last edited:

tet666

Augur
Since you are doing it for other emus maybe add Cemuhook and Slashiee's Community Graphic Pack Github to Cemu since both add some basic functionality to the emulator like support for h264 movies, full motion sensing support, higher rendering resolutions and some fixes and patches, i really wouldn't want to use Cemu without them.

https://sshnuke.net/cemuhook/
https://slashiee.github.io/cemu_graphic_packs/

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
So, it turns out the "PGXP Vertex Wobble Reduction Thingie" in PCSXR-PGXP can actually be useful...

The only things still wobbling are Hana's boobs:

NRAV07X.jpg

:incline:

Software mode via Retroarch - Mednafen core:

pViPKeJ.jpg

:prosper:

TBH some small texture wobbling is still there, but greatly reduced when compared to vanilla settings.
Fucking Z-buffer, how does it work?
Well, in case of PS1, it doesn't...

spekkio Have you tried the PGXP options in Beetle PSX HW? It does a great job at reducing texture wobbling/polygon warping and has been implemented for a year now:

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/mednafenbeetle-psx-pgxp-arrives/

edit: I got all hot and bothered when I could boot into Ni No Kuni with RCPS3, but unfortunately it's doesn't run very well and crashes a lot. Such a pretty game, though... I've always wanted to play it, the 2nd one is coming for PC, but I don't think a port of the first one has been announced, has it?

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
spekkio

The retroarch/mednafen PSX info is out of date. It has a 2 HW accelerated modes (opengl and vulkan) and has a bunch of wobble reduction settings now.

spekkio

Arcane
Great Deceiver said:
Have you tried the PGXP options in Beetle PSX HW? It does a great job at reducing texture wobbling/polygon warping and has been implemented for a year now.
Sure. Problem is, going over 2x internal is too much for me ATM (slowdowns). PCSXR-PGP is faster and has more filtering options than Beetle-HW core. But for people with beefy rigs it's probably just as good as PCSRX-PGXP or even better (superior gui, audio, sync, aspect ratio detection and you don't have to fuck around with plugins).

tuluse said:
The retroarch/mednafen PSX info is out of date. It has a 2 HW accelerated modes (opengl and vulkan) and has a bunch of wobble reduction settings now.
I know, but I'm not sure if Beetle-HW core is as reliable as regular Beetle core. At least ATM. That's why I went with following order in OP:
1) Retroarch-Beetle (SW),
2) PCSXR-PGXP (for people wanting hi-res, filters, PGXP, plugins and shit),
3) epsxe (oldfags and casuals).

This:

Best accuracy, only software mode, but you can increase internal resolution now.
Is indeed misleading, imma change it soon.

Let's hope that in the (near) future, the only thing needed for PS1 emulation will be Beetle core and/or Beetle HW core.

spekkio

If you're getting slowdown with over 2x internal resolution try fiddling with the hard GPU sync under video settings in Retroarch, if you have it on - maybe put it at 1, 2 or even 3 frames, maybe it'll help.

flyingjohn

Arcane
spekkio Have you tried the PGXP options in Beetle PSX HW? It does a great job at reducing texture wobbling/polygon warping and has been implemented for a year now:

edit: I got all hot and bothered when I could boot into Ni No Kuni with RCPS3, but unfortunately it's doesn't run very well and crashes a lot. Such a pretty game, though... I've always wanted to play it, the 2nd one is coming for PC, but I don't think a port of the first one has been announced, has it?
Ni no kuni would probably disappoint you anyway.The combat system is atrocious and the game never let's go of landholding mode.
But it does look pretty.

spekkio

Arcane
OP has been declined, concerning Wii U and PS1. :obviously:

ePSXe has been removed. Let's put the old dog to rest. In latest version (2.0.5) devs forgot to set a default value for CPU speed (100%), so the emu won't lauch till user sets it himself. Quality fucking QA... :roll:

No Great Name

Arcane
spekkio
Is the Beetle PSX more accurate than Mednafen on Retroarch?
Also, is the PGXP texture wobbling reduction comparable to playing on the original hardware, or is it more of an enhancement and the wobbling is how it originally was?

spekkio

Arcane
Is the Beetle PSX more accurate than Mednafen on Retroarch?
Beetle PSX core = Mednafen-PSX core.

EmuGen said:
The RetroArch fork of Mednafen PSX (known as Beetle PSX) has several experimental modifications and enhancements that aren't present in the standalone version, including a widescreen hack, CPU overclocking for smoother framerates, and increasing the internal resolution up to 8x. Increasing the resolution carries a heavy performance cost, however, since graphics are rendered in software; an alternative core exists for hardware rendering.

is the PGXP texture wobbling reduction comparable to playing on the original hardware
No.

or is it more of an enhancement and the wobbling is how it originally was
This. That's why hardcore emufags frown upon it.

For the most part, I prefer playing PSX games at native resolution with a good CRT shader, having high resolution polygons clashes really badly with the low-res sprite elements of the background (most PSX games were 3d/2d hybrids) and texture scaling never looks decent enough to compensate.

There are exceptions to this rule (Einhander and Roll Away, for example). But the most 'authentic' experience is definitely CRT shader + native res.

And yes, Mednafen = Beetle (both PSX and Saturn).

spekkio

Arcane
GD said:
having high resolution polygons clashes really badly with the low-res sprite elements of the background
Like here for example:

NRAV07X.jpg

Still, went with HW because of BOOBS!
OFC, using some scaler / filter could make 2D backgrounds look less shitty.

But in the end, it always will be a 320x240 image:

fE9uQAK.png

Scaled to high heavens. No way of making it look really good. Even back then on a CRT screen it looked... :?

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Ni no kuni would probably disappoint you anyway.The combat system is atrocious and the game never let's go of landholding mode.
But it does look pretty.

I wouldn't have played Ni No Kuni except that it was made with support of Hayao Miyazaki's studio. Since I am a big fan of Spirited Away, The Wind Rises, and Howl's Moving Castle, I decided to give this game a try. It's a mediocre CRPG, but I got more out of it by appreciating the anime within.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom