Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Dexter

Arcane
That's why Dark Souls is extremely satisfying when you git gud while this game is like a puzzle challenge with correct path where you avoid instagib shit until you are strong enough to press I win button.

Ofc people who haven't played any Souls game / Ninja Gaiden know shit about proper action combat and are easily impressed by sad turds like Elex. Western action RPGs are fucking space years behind in proper exection of simple combat mechanics.

And don't you fucking tell me about good combat system when I have beaten all Souls games on SL 1 run. I know when shit combat is shit and when it's good.
That's funny seeing as one of the first Dark Souls tutorial missions is teaching players to recognize when a boss might just be too much for them and to evade certain dangers and come back later, there's also pathways also open in the game that new unexperienced players are expected to avoid, which they might recognize by them being fucked by the Mobs there quickly and some Minibosses which merit skipping and coming back to later with better gear and more experience. That aside, Dark Souls is a pure H&S ARPG with its focus purely on combat and the systems around it and as such has more in common with other pure ARPGs like Diablo but is even closer to 3rd person action games like Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers or God of War than what most people consider Open World RPGs with dialogue, faction systems, quest hubs and lots of quests. Dark Souls has even more minimal dialogue than Diablo.

Other than that I don't get how you don't get that it's an Open World game and some mobs are beyond your abilities before you manage to get back on your feet, get some equipment together and improve your skills while getting support from the respective factions and that running away from a fight or using companions is a purposeful design choice in early game where your character can only wear an iron pipe or a rusty axe or that you should be able to defeat every enemy with these things just because you'd like to.

To be fair to the whiners tho....it does seem they have possibly overdone it this time around? I haven't really started my Elex playthrough yet but in all Gothics and all Risens there were SOME enemies at the start that you could kill pretty comfortably. Is every single starting creature in Elex a crushing machine of death?
No. They're just idiots.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
rVzSMXz.png

He's just standing there. Spinning in place.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That aside, Dark Souls is a pure H&S ARPG with its focus purely on combat and the systems around it and as such has more in common with other pure ARPGs like Diablo but is even closer to 3rd person action games like Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers or God of War than what most people consider Open World RPGs with dialogue, faction systems, quest hubs and lots of quests. Dark Souls has even more minimal dialogue than Diablo.

Not entirely true, structure-wise DS actually has pretty traditional quests, sometimes very elaborate too, it's just they embody very whimsy, poetic forms. They're also the pinnacle of the non-handholding approach, sometimes to an absurd point (NPCs disappear and appear in different places so on your first run you have to basically sweep all corners of the map after every interaction to find them). But the focus of From games is definitely on combat, true.

That said tho, it's irrelevant. The fact a traditional RPG like Elex is not focused primarily on combat doesn't mean it can't have the best combat ever. Problem with melee combat is Dark Souls probably invented the perfect formula and anything that deviates from it always inevitably feels inferior, whether it's Witcher, Elex, Skyrim or anything else. Question is whether we really want that perfect Dark Souls formula in every real-time RPG from now on till the end of time. Seems to me developers think it would get old pretty soon so they rather implement something inferior but different. Myself, I don't really know.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
That's why Dark Souls is extremely satisfying when you git gud while this game is like a puzzle challenge with correct path where you avoid instagib shit until you are strong enough to press I win button.

Ofc people who haven't played any Souls game / Ninja Gaiden know shit about proper action combat and are easily impressed by sad turds like Elex. Western action RPGs are fucking space years behind in proper exection of simple combat mechanics.

And don't you fucking tell me about good combat system when I have beaten all Souls games on SL 1 run. I know when shit combat is shit and when it's good.
That's funny seeing as one of the first Dark Souls tutorial missions is teaching players to recognize when a boss might just be too much for them and to evade certain dangers and come back later, there's also pathways also open in the game that new unexperienced players are expected to avoid, which they might recognize by them being fucked by the Mobs there quickly and some Minibosses which merit skipping and coming back to later with better gear and more experience. That aside, Dark Souls is a pure H&S ARPG with its focus purely on combat and the systems around it and as such has more in common with other pure ARPGs like Diablo but is even closer to 3rd person action games like Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers or God of War than what most people consider Open World RPGs with dialogue, faction systems, quest hubs and lots of quests. Dark Souls has even more minimal dialogue than Diablo.

Other than that I don't get how you don't get that it's an Open World game and some mobs are beyond your abilities before you manage to get back on your feet, get some equipment together and improve your skills while getting support from the respective factions and that running away from a fight or using companions is a purposeful design choice in early game where your character can only wear an iron pipe or a rusty axe or that you should be able to defeat every enemy with these things just because you'd like to.

To be fair to the whiners tho....it does seem they have possibly overdone it this time around? I haven't really started my Elex playthrough yet but in all Gothics and all Risens there were SOME enemies at the start that you could kill pretty comfortably. Is every single starting creature in Elex a crushing machine of death?
No. They're just idiots.

There's no such thing as ''too much'' in Darks Souls,if you are good and have the ability to press more than one button at a time you finish the game without any items.But look at that video,it's challenging,you still do damage but you can get insta-gibbed the moment you get hit.

Elex

Arbiter
First patch live on GoG.

Patch 1.1 (20 October 2017)
  • Added Czech language support
  • Spanish language selection issue fixed.
  • Fixed crash on systems with min 18 virtual (logical) CPU cores
  • Fixed a memory leak
Crafting
  • You can now upgrade shields.
  • Bugfixes for socketing weapons.
AI
  • Improved awareness when sneaking.
  • Improved navigation for NPCs and monsters.
  • Better party behavior from NPCs.
UI
  • Missing icons added.
  • Connection bugfixes.
  • Bugfixes for the world map.
  • Bugfixes for the skills display.
Gameplay
  • Bugfixes for item interactions.
  • Sleep will now also replenish energy.
  • Lock picks will break more often.
  • Reduced fall damage with the jet pack.
  • Appropriate behavior when you receive damage on a ladder.
  • Additional slots for autosaves.
  • Monster traps no longer have a focus.
Cutscenes
  • Slight optimization of cutscenes.
Story
  • Caja accompanies the player to all locations.
  • Both PSI amplifiers are now distributed.
  • Minor quest and display fixes.
NPCs
  • Aesthetic improvements to some armor.
  • Improved control of dialogue gestures.
  • Improved facial animations for women.
  • Improved transitions for motion sequences.
Combat
  • Shields can now block ranged weapons.
  • Improved targeting behavior from NPCs.
  • Fixed the situation where companions were not helping with battle in certain situations.
  • Grenades will now always ricochet off of obstacles.
  • Ball lightning will now always jump to the next target.
Dialogues
  • Improved camera in dialogues.
  • Improved placement of conversation partners.
Text
  • Updates and fixes.
Engine
  • Improved shadow mapping to sun position.
  • Eliminated flickering mist when the camera was too close to obstacles.
  • Subtitles are now deactivated by default when the same language is selected for voice and text.
it's the day one patch already on steam?

edit:
First patch live on GoG.
Patch 1.1 (20 October 2017)

FYI the Steam version is already updated to this since day 1. GoG is just slow.

TY that explain a lot in particular why i have less issue than other people and why my female npc tits are calmer.

Jinn

Arcane
There's no such thing as ''too much'' in Darks Souls,if you are good and have the ability to press more than one button at a time you finish the game without any items.But look at that video,it's challenging,you still do damage but you can get insta-gibbed the moment you get hit.

The very point is that damage is achieved through stat progression in ELEX. That's why we like it. It's comparable to the satisfying feeling of defeating a boss like that with nothing. It's two different senses of progression.

Elex

Arbiter
This thread is fantastic.
Let me summarize: people encounter their first real RPG and are confused why you need to level up and learn skills to wield better weapons and kill harder enemies.

It doesn't make any sense you dumb fuck,Jax was one the best commanders of the albs,he was favored by the hybrid because he was a fierce fighter,every alb you will encounter will recognize you immediatly and ask you how such a great fighter like yourself got betrayed.How the hell does that translate in Jax not having the capability to equip something better than a dildo on a stick,half a day later before I get ''shot'',are you fucking kidding me?
I get it,you lost the elex from your system but I still found some more and still consume it,how the hell does the other alb defectors still have the capability to wear great equipment while I can't wear a pair of undies without raising my strength to 100.

Jax should be stronger and I don't mind getting one shot,but to have me degrade myself to hack at a chicken lookalike for 30 minutes and still not do more than 20% of it's health,is a pathetic design 101 and cheaper than an mmo done in a chinese factory,jesus christ you people make me sick.

i have a theory about that: jax was dead or near dead, jax body reacted to that and processed the elex for heal the body basically consuming himself for survive/revive.

that in addition to being elex free and rediscover all the emotion, that is traumatic.

maybe it's a process similar to elex>mana transformation: in only 2 day jax is "elex free" with no need of assume more elex but if he use elex he have all the benefit while the other alb rebel still have problem in manage elex.

edit: that or xardax stolen all the elex from jax

Volken

Scholar
Jax Jax Jax.... JAX??!! Speaking about Jax. Isn't this game a Mortal Kombat tribute? It has good kombat after all.

The mysterious white Jax from Magalan-realm:

df108288-04df-42f0-8d26-7dabec1d1620.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's not. It's a good game, but anyone claiming this to be a good followup to Gothic 1 & 2 is crazy. It is a (big) step in the right direction, however

brofisted

and I think it's way better than Risen 1. For me ELEX is PB's 3rd best game.

brolapsed :rpgcodex:

Maybe my opinioun will change later but so far IMO Risen 1 is still much better and Gothicy than ELEX.

Also, lolololo misogyny, female bandits have less hp and damage than male ones :troll:

And speaking of HP and damage, it really puts into perspective how terrible is the damage you do once you provoke some infighting among the munsters. I have to whack a bandit for a bunch of full combos to keal him, but when I lured one to a hornwolf, it murdered him in 2 or 3 hits :hmmm:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's not. It's a good game, but anyone claiming this to be a good followup to Gothic 1 & 2 is crazy. It is a (big) step in the right direction, however

brofisted

and I think it's way better than Risen 1. For me ELEX is PB's 3rd best game.

brolapsed :rpgcodex:

Maybe my opinioun will change later but so far IMO Risen 1 is still much better and Gothicy than ELEX.

Risen 1 is a better game if you want a more Gothicy experience, yes. But that's why I rate ELEX higher. I'm not saying that Risen 1 sucks, but it's too much of a Gothic derivative without being as good as Gothic. ELEX is trying to be more of its own thing while retaining the elements that PB is known and loved for.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Risen 1 is a better game if you want a more Gothicy experience, yes. But that's why I rate ELEX higher. I'm not saying that Risen 1 sucks, but it's too much of a Gothic derivative without being as good as Gothic. ELEX is trying to be more of its own thing while retaining the elements that PB is known and loved for.

I'd probably rate ELEX higher if not for a bunch of Risen 2/3 leftovers that have made it to the game and which are all stupid. Not being able to loot KO'd enemies, the tarded lockpick minigame, skill-locked chests (although this one is much less of a bother than in those two for sure), human enemies not leaving their weapons behind, the fucking interface, etc.

Still, make no mistake, it is certainly Gud and a much-awaited return to form for PB. It seems that this time "The Publisher Kept Them Down" (tm) has actually turned out true.

Elex

Arbiter

I'd probably rate ELEX higher if not for a bunch of Risen 2/3 leftovers that have made it to the game and which are all stupid. Not being able to loot KO'd enemies, the tarded lockpick minigame, skill-locked chests (although this one is much less of a bother than in those two for sure), human enemies not leaving their weapons behind, the fucking interface, etc.

Still, make no mistake, it is certainly Gud and a much-awaited return to form for PB. It seems that this time "The Publisher Kept Them Down" (tm) has actually turned out true.
at least minigame have a separate difficulty setting!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's definetely not Risen, which is why I liked the little I've played so far

i still have no idea why you didnt like r1sen, and now i have even less of an idea when you like this game's opening

It might just be that I was playing Dragon Age: Origins at the time and liking it so much more and since you hated on that game incessantly I ended up focusing more on Risen's flaws, or I might end up disliking Elex for its jankyness in the end, or it might just be that I was very young when I played it and still hadn't really gotten into walking simulators. It's always been my least favourite RPG genre. I remember our beef about it much more explicitly than my reasons for not liking it

EDIT: In fact I registered at RPG Codex because I didn't get the biofags' uncritical love of everything derp in Dragon Age, but then found out the Codex had just as much irrational hate for the good things about it

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I too miss looting KO'd enemies out of their valuables and weapons.

Sjukob

Arcane
Problem with melee combat is Dark Souls probably invented the perfect formula and anything that deviates from it always inevitably feels inferior, whether it's Witcher, Elex, Skyrim or anything else.
I say Severance is still unmatched . Dark souls melee seems like a more straight forward version of Severance combat .

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
And talking about the shitty interface and inventory management again,because I just can't let it go dude.Fucking Arcania Gothic 4 or whatever the fuck its name was,has better ui and inventory by eons,I mean how can you degrade yourself so much by fucking the ui so bad.

Just look at this shit

And then look at this abomination

What the fuck is that,barely any information about your char,barely any information about abilities and items,no way to sort your items by stacks,no way to sort anything.

How the fuck did those retards from Spellbound and Blackforest managed to do a better job than you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom