Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

sullynathan

Arcane
I heard it's like Gothic 3 but new

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Witcher 3 IS traditional RPG.

tenor.gif

ortucis

Prophet
Why do people say it needs a patch? There is no bugs, performance is elexellent etc. Patches won't change their 20 year old crappy & clunky but "once you learn it, decent" gameplay/combat design.

6. Enemies would follow you indefinitely then make duels between each other.

This has happened to me so many times, along with 3 crashes I witnessed in last 3 hrs.

Enemies just follow you until you can get behind a HUGE barrier, like a whole mountain, but even then chances are that they'll follow you if there is a way around it. Worst part is, they ignore other enemies most of the time when doing this.

For example:

They ignored that Rotboar and just started chasing me. I lost them when the game eventually crashed, forcing me to load last quicksave.

Also, that double tap to roll is THE most moronic thing developers do. On my cherry MX red keyboard, keys are so soft that I keep double clicking every few seconds. I eventually stopped doing it too much but even now, every now and then I end up doing it.

PS: Melee in this game is easy. At first, I was confused not because of it being hard (it is similar to Witcher 1 and 2), but the UI is so shit, your eyes are all over trying to go from stamina to combo meter. It's like PB was trying to piss off every player as much as possible.

As I expected I'm mostly enjoy the game, but Jesus Christ if in these first hours it doesn't seem the worst game from Piranha Bytes when it comes to combat... And that's quite the achievement.

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't get people who say enemies follow them forever. Do you not sprint? If you sprint away, most enemies stop following within 30 seconds, and sometimes even crossing a river or going up a cliff on jetpack dissuades them.

bataille

Arcane
It takes 50 minutes and 27 seconds to walk across the whole map of Elex.

Scrolling through the list of this guy's videos changed my perspective on life, cured my every ailment, fed my cat, and took the trash out.
It rivals elex itself in its profoundness.

Raapys

Arcane
IT IS DONE, I HAVE SAVED MAGALAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, not really, but I did complete the game. Saved game says 25 hours. I did most of the quests I think; only had 4-5 insignificant ones left in the log, though I don't know how many I never received in the first place. Went Cleric and pure PSI, ended at level 41. Levels 25->41 are done within probably 5-6 hours though(at least with the black hole spell), due to massive xp stuff from main quest and high xp enemies.

Like with its predecessors, and pretty much all other open-world RPGs, the quality of the experience falls off rather sharply once you've cleaned out the major quest hubs and start working on the main quest. Oh well.

I will add this to my ye olde RPGs list, despite its numerous flaws. Will replay, probably several times. Not with PSI though; it looks cool and is absurdly good, but it's just same old over and over. And unlike weapons, you don't get to upgrade.

A worthy sequel to the Gothic series, especially given that it's [currentYear].

Oh, and protip about the 'Cold' thing in slight spoiler:
It does decide which ending will be available, and it's too late to change at that stage of the game

Phisto

Literate
Don't you just love it when you want to talk to someone and at that exact millisecond he decides to move his shoulder and force you to accidentally steal something of his?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I did complete the game. Saved game says 25 hours. I did most of the quests I think

Christ, You people keep an incredible pace, no stopping to loiter around. Just based on my initial experience, 25 hours would be nearly impossible to me.

I once watched some other 'dexer play DX;MD almost on fast forward and thought "Jesus is this guy on coke or something".

:lol:

Quillon

Arcane
I don't get people who say enemies follow them forever. Do you not sprint? If you sprint away, most enemies stop following within 30 seconds, and sometimes even crossing a river or going up a cliff on jetpack dissuades them.

Its like that for some NPCs I guess; got rid of accidental aggro in the town pretty easily that way but just before entering the first town accidentally hit some dude, he & his bro chased me back to the elevator, gave in and reloaded.

Raapys

Arcane
Christ, You people keep an incredible pace, no stopping to loiter around. Just based on my initial experience, 25 hours would be nearly impossible to me.

I once watched some other 'dexer play DX;MD almost on fast forward and thought "Jesus is this guy on coke or something".
I was a bit surprised at the low playtime to be honest. I read(but didnt listen to) all the dialog and wasn't in a particular rush. I even did silly stuff like teleport to a house to rest to regain PSI(instead of spending my potions). So yeah. The Black Hole spell must have cut hours and hours from the playtime though, turning every fight into a "rush in and destroy everything" routine.

Murk

Arcane
One point of high praise to the game -- loading is extremely fast for me, less than 5 seconds long (actually timed multiple instances).

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
One point of high praise to the game -- loading is extremely fast for me, less than 5 seconds long (actually timed multiple instances).

Initial loading from the main menu (Pressing "Continue", not loading from the saved games list) has taken me a few minutes every time, for some reason. Otherwise it's been fast.

Raapys

Arcane
I've chosen the psi thrower and dont have black hole spell, i wonder if somehow i can get my hands on psi amplifier, if i've chosen psi thrower.
You can, but you need next rank and level 15. Best option is to reload, cuz the spells in the thrower have very bad damage and absurd PSI point cost. If not for da Black Hole, PSI would be utter garbage. Instead it's probably the best combat approach.

Mind you, even the black hole thing needs high/maxed PSI skill to truly shine.

Men, I must bring up something important here. While most of you are running around and playing with your jetpacks, Raapys and I have been testing fundamental laws of ELEX combat.

I was pretty bummed about constant (Oblivion-like) block/parry, as opposed to Gothic/Risen timed parry. But then, I saw a youtube video today of ELEX combat, and the guy mentioned that if you hold down block and then click attack, it WILL do a timed parry. Not yet having the game, I asked Raapys who was flirting with asfasdf in Shoutbox to test this, and according to him, doing this during a guard attack causes the guard to become stunned for a short time.

Have we stumbled on a hereto unknown ELEX mechanic? I ask you all to test to this, because Raapys specced as a ranged ninny, and his ineffectual attack started a massive guard on guard riot.

P.S. linking the youtube video which talks about this: https://youtu.be/hmOk7ypdyAs?t=1647

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I've chosen the psi thrower and dont have black hole spell, i wonder if somehow i can get my hands on psi amplifier, if i've chosen psi thrower.
You can, but you need next rank and level 15. Best option is to reload, cuz the spells in the thrower have very bad damage and absurd PSI point cost.

Well i'm near the next promotion so i guess i will stick with that. PSI is not my main damage dealing, it's ranged weapons. With buying elex potions i can somehow divide the skills among two attributes. With hunter skill you can farm lot of nice trophies from creatures. And albs are great for farming i hope they will respawn. Albs robots drop energy ammo so i dont have to spend money to buy it.

If PB want success with their games on future, they just need better begginning/introduction in their games. The first impression is very important -for example the great cinematic introduction in Skyrim was on point, hooked lot of people. ELEX doesn't have that, but it opens up and gets better after the introduction/beggining, mostly after 5-10 hours of gameplay, when you actualy can play the game properly. Lack of engaging the player in the beggining, making the start area not well designed[very strong mobs just outside the city] and unbalanced is the reason why the game will discourage lot of people. You can take the level scalling out of the game, and still provide a good and engaging start -underrail is a good example, of a linear start that set you some goals, and provide a good basis to strengten your character.

Last edited:

imweasel

I now have Duras as a companion which makes the game much easier. The guy is a fucking tank. :lol:

I probably should have done the companion quest first. Yep.

:kingcomrade:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I now have Duras as a companion which makes the game much easier. The guy is a fucking tank. :lol:

I probably should have done the companion quest first. Yep.

:kingcomrade:

Companions will get utter shit very fast, unless you pick necessary perk.Basically without that, they are only a very biref meatshield on levels 15+.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom