Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Quest - Enhanced Edition of iOS RPG now available on PC

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yup there are several cases of npc reacting to your race, for example if you are the same race as the agent recruiter in the starting town he gifts you some money to start off. It is not very oftent you get it but when you do it is cool

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Game's genuine IOS material. Played a bit last night. It's like Daggerfall meets M&M. The UI is rather intuitive for the genre tho.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Digging this one a lot. At first it felt really simple, which was pretty fine in itself as I was not expecting much more than simple turn based exploration fun, but the non-linear quests and the writing have been really surprising. Easy to pick up before/after work and play for 20-30 minutes and get something done, but just as easy to sink 4-5 hours into in one sitting.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Expansion Islands of Ice and Fire is available now:

Last edited by a moderator:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Heh, just noticed that the Steam version also includes an old version of the PC port. There's a folder named "old-game" that has the full version of the older PC port.

readme for the old version said:
In this folder you can find the original development version of The Quest for PC.

It was not really intended for release, it was mainly used for developing the game,
while we created the Palm and PocketPC versions of the game in 2006. Even the iPhone
version is newer, with updated content relative to this version.

Nevertheless, we offer it as a glimpse into the past (and original graphics) of The Quest.

To run it, just unzip TheQuestOld.zip into any empty folder, then start TheQuest.exe.
You might need to run it as administrator.

The game is fully playable, from start to finish, but the save files it creates are not
compatible with either the iPhone version or (especially) with regular PC version.

IMPORTANT: We offer absolutely no support for this version. You are on your own. :)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I picked this up during the latest Steam sale. It's alright, feels very much like a M&M3 4/5 Lite game, but to be honest it's too shallow to keep my interest. I started playing as a Warrior and quickly learned that just smashing the enemy with a weapon doesn't get you very far. You will need ranged attacks and magic, to learn crowd control and to use what little terrain is available to your advantage.

On that note, I'm running intro trouble with hostile spellcasters. Closing the gap is obviously in my best interests, but unlike archers their damage output doesn't go down once I'm in melee. Is there a way to close the distance faster than just advancing forward and taking damage with every step? Is there a Jump spell or something similar?

Playing as a Thief, however, seems pointless. The Law is omniscient in this game, if you commit a crime EVERYONE knows about it. People will badmouth you, guards will arrest you and throw you into jail, but the worst part is that the loot doesn't seem to cover the costs of avoiding justice. Even lockpicking seems redundant as I've yet to come across a dungeon door that didn't have its key somewhere nearby.

And then, of course, monsters respawn on maps if you stay away for more than a week. I approach games like this with a completionist attitude, and this is one reason why I prefer the older M&M games to the newer ones.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
On that note, I'm running intro trouble with hostile spellcasters. Closing the gap is obviously in my best interests, but unlike archers their damage output doesn't go down once I'm in melee. Is there a way to close the distance faster than just advancing forward and taking damage with every step? Is there a Jump spell or something similar?

I've been facing every single spellcaster with a magic resistance potion. Which is one reason why alchemy is mandatory.

In fact several of them, one for closing the distance, and one for the fight itself (this shouldn't be needed anymore once I get better potions)

Deleted Member 16721

It is really good. Check the new video I uploaded about it if you want to know more about the game. It's on my YouTube channel.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
This one is not a bad little game. Unlike most other transferred from rubbish phone game, this one seems to be a smooth operation.

Quite basic in fact but has quite a lot of the stuff I would expect to have in my RPG.

Have to buy arrows.
Can pick plants and herbs and then according to your skill make potions.

FC4A5B5C05E40CC83F92922B99B4BB8D6B1C3F23

Wearing Heavy Armour without that skill does JACK for protection.
Repair items.
Food and drink required for camping.
Nice and simple turn based combat. Can cast magic and quaff a potion. Some range and resistances.
Some quest outcomes can depend on your sweet talking skills.

Quite nice music.

I like the fact that conversation takes up the whole screen which I regard as INNOVATION and a step forward. Has a nice little flurry that goes with it.

29253D0B09C4ADADA854C51597D2DB6DA7A159A7

Some of the quests have an A or B option and maybe not knowing which is the "right choice".

There is a little depth in character creation where you can choose pre-defined classes or choose your own - ala Arena/ Daggerfall.

A MAP THAN CAN BE ANNOTATED. DECENT INVENTORY SYSTEM.

There is also a little card game at the local tavern I have not had time to get into - yet.

184311421229CA6B9ACA19D1732AD4F88CFD4FB5

Camping in the rain means you don't heal and recover as much as normal - interesting!

But this is no ARENA, but I can understand why some people say it is similar.

Main criticism of the game is that you only have one character and I can't find any evidence of 99 of anything.

9-bard_009.png

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It is a great game with a lot more "grown up" mechanics than most games released these days
I had a review for it but nobody from the powers that be seemed to be interested here in the Codex for reviewing it and posting, I guess they rather just use reviews of users who suck up to them or make threads over butthurt and shit
Oh well so much for their supposed love of Incline... this game was incline 5 6 years ago before kickstarter and yet gets almost no support here

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New expansion and updated editor with Steam Workshop integration: http://steamcommunity.com/games/thequest/announcements/detail/1271550370790700625

Steam Workshop & new expansion from Zarista!

The Quest now has Steam Workshop integration! Expansion worlds can be created with the newly available editor and released on the Workshop. (Tutorial)

If you are more interested in playing, a brand new world, "Thor's Hammer" from Zarista Games is also available!

Or you'd rather have a vacation? The tutorial world "Vacation" is also playable. Short but fun!

Looks like they're looking for premium modules as well as free mods: http://steamcommunity.com/app/428880/workshop/

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Picked this up on iOS with the discount when looking for something to do with my new Apple device. Played a little bit, and it's a surprising amount of fun. It really is like a stream-lined MM3+Daggerfall. Not a super deep RPG, but well built and easy to play in bursts.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
This game is so much fun, I have been playing it for almost 2 years and it is still entertaining plus the new version with the new PC graphics made me roll back a new char
Alongside the odd Final Fantasy this makes my commute time so much better

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Too bad it's just a single character. They should do a sequel with a full party.

Speaking of which:

Elendil / Redshift [developer] 22 Feb, 2017 @ 8:51am
Glad you are enjoying the game!

We are working on The Quest 2 already. :)

You can find more information on our forums (link is on the main menu of the game ;). And if you follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook, you'll know about any developments.

We expect to be finished in this year, if everything goes really well. If not, next year.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/428880/discussions/0/135509758529011989/

Even better:

The gameplay will be similar to Quest's prequel, Legacy: you will be able to control a party of heroes.

http://linux.redshift.hu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3862

The Quest 2 with full party!

:bounce:

Some artwork from The Quest 2:

TQ1vsTQ2-shop-magic.jpg

TQ1vsTQ2-shop-blacksmith.jpg

TQ1vsTQ2-portraits.jpg

Except:

Re: The Quest II

by Elendil / Redshift » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:25 pm

We are working. It'll take a very long time. We'll write when appropriate.
icon_e_wink.gif

Sylon might write some more, I prefer not to. (Even if there are plans or even things done, a lot can change. We'll definitely try and give more information, but I think we prefer to work to talking about the work.
icon_e_smile.gif
)

Re: The Quest II

by Sylon / Redshift » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:44 am

Sorry for not posting any news since a while... We are working on it, of course. Sometimes it's faster, sometimes it slows down because other tasks in our life. But we're working on it with Elendil. Only two members and a huge-huge game. It will be bigger than TQ1 of course, and TQ1 still took 2 years to complete with 3-4 members and no other tasks.

For Elendil, it means that he's alone with programming the whole game engine with the world editor from the very beginning, no reused TQ1 stuff this time, it will be a brand new, much more flexible and modern game. For me, just drawing all the graphics in such a high resolution means years of work, for example (partly because this time anything will be much better animated), but at last I can see the light at the end.
icon_e_smile.gif
And it's just a part of my task, I have to finish the writing and build the whole world with the editor.

Some details for the graphics, just to let you see the amount of work I have to put in: TQ1's monsters just had one animation, from the front, as you see them walking and attacking - 1-2 attack frames, one hurt frame, and that's all. It doesn't look too realistic... So in TQ2 I drew and animated them from all sides, also they have at least 3-4 different, smooth attack animations (for better strategy variations and gaming experience), etc. To take it to numbers: one TQ1 monster had about 10 animation frames, while one TQ2 monster has about 80-100 frames.
As for NPCs: in TQ1 you can see 2 men, 2 women and 1 child walking on the streets. In TQ2 you'll see at least 25-30 totally different NPC types. Also you will see (and hunt) animals here and there, etc. I have to draw them all.
icon_e_smile.gif
But I'm near the end, fortunately, I think on this Summer I'll finish all the graphic work at last, and on this Autumn I'll start to build the world itself with the editor - so don't expect screenshots before Autumn.
icon_e_smile.gif

http://linux.redshift.hu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3862&start=200

:negative:

It will be another Grimoire. They've already been working on it for 5 years and "it will take a long time for such a big game and only two people".

Modron

Arcane
I don't know what he was expecting but I enjoyed The Quest, rogue-like turn based combat, classless character system (granted choice of race basically were archetypes for mage/archer/fighter but you could build however you like), towns had decent amount of quests in them such that you're not just walking around killing shit with no breaks whatsoever, I liked that graphic style, and enchantment of items was nice if not a little overpowered on the highest quality items. Game is basically a roguelike Daggerfall which worked for me, I will probably replay it a few years down the road as an undead character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom