Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I meant the rigger themself's useless after deploying the drones, not every PC.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried Drones in Dragonfall, I didn't find them amazing. Their hit chance is always crap. I tried Racter in some mission in HK, his drone was mostly useless. I don't know where you are pulling this drones are OP thing.

V_K

Arcane
I tried Drones in Dragonfall, I didn't find them amazing. Their hit chance is always crap.
Drones in DF are amazing in combination with shafts. Plust that one mission (you know which one - such a shame you couldn't keep it). It was rather unfortunate that HK has next to no shafts to use.
I tried Racter in some mission in HK, his drone was mostly useless. I don't know where you are pulling this drones are OP thing.
Koschei is underwhelming at range, but great in close combat, particularly with the 6 AP boost.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Is "light tactical combat" a euphemism for "an excuse for shitty AI"? While I applaud HBS for handcrafting every encounter, not having any grinding and sometimes superb encounter design, it's all for naught when it's so easy and you are so freakishly overpowered it doesn't really matter what you do. In Hong Kong, a rigger + Racter can "overclock" a drone to have 6 AP (!). Keep in mind I haven't played Dragonfall yet, so it may be different there, but Returns and Hong Kong were ridiculously easy on the hardest difficulties. The only fight in both games (I haven't completed Hong Kong yet, so can't speak for end-game encounters) I had to reload was my first mission in Hong King, it was where you had to disrupt the qi in the corporate building, the last battle was against a handful of mages who flung nasty AoEs and grenades at you and you are still a newb shadowrunner with not a lot of options.

I don't know why you skipped Dragonfall. 90% of our comments apply only to Dragonfall, not DMS or Hong Kong. Hong Kong was super-rushed and it's evident had absolutely zero testing. No one is defending Hong Kong's mix of atrociously terrible encounter design and ridiculously OP gear/ cyberware. Of the three, Hong Kong's combat is by far the worst. DMS at least had a few really great encounters.

In fact, I'm worried that playing Hong Kong before Dragonfall might taint your experience of Dragonfall, which would be a shame.

Dragonfall is lightning in a bottle. DMS and Hong Kong are not.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried Drones in Dragonfall, I didn't find them amazing. Their hit chance is always crap.
Drones in DF are amazing in combination with shafts. Plust that one mission (you know which one - such a shame you couldn't keep it). It was rather unfortunate that HK has next to no shafts to use.
I tried Racter in some mission in HK, his drone was mostly useless. I don't know where you are pulling this drones are OP thing.
Koschei is underwhelming at range, but great in close combat, particularly with the 6 AP boost.
Shafts were just stupid. I am talking about drones in direct combat without such abuse.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't know why you skipped Dragonfall. 90% of our comments apply only to Dragonfall, not DMS or Hong Kong. Hong Kong was super-rushed and it's evident had absolutely zero testing. No one is defending Hong Kong's mix of atrociously terrible encounter design and ridiculously OP gear/ cyberware. Of the three, Hong Kong's combat is by far the worst. DMS at least had a few really great encounters.

In fact, I'm worried that playing Hong Kong before Dragonfall might taint your experience of Dragonfall, which would be a shame.

Because I wanted to save the best for last. Why would playing HK taint my experience with Dragonfall? I'm enjoying HK for what it is, I don't have any overwhelmingly negative feelings towards it.

Jason Liang

Arcane

Because I wanted to save the best for last. Why would playing HK taint my experience with Dragonfall? I'm enjoying HK for what it is, I don't have any overwhelmingly negative feelings towards it.

What you're doing is the equivalent of playing Throne of Bhaal before you play Shadows of Amn.

I don't know how playing Hong Kong first will affect your experience of Dragonfall. I'm pretty sure most of us played Dragonfall first or after DMS and had a blast. I don't think Hong Kong can improve your experience of Dragonfall, so it can only do harm.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Shafts were just stupid. I am talking about drones in direct combat without such abuse.
Shafts are the whole point of drones' existence, not abuse. Otherwise riggers would make no sense as a class - they're virtually useless in combat by themselves.
My rigger was my hacker at the same time. Worked well in Dragonfall.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What you're doing is the equivalent of playing Throne of Bhaal before you play Shadows of Amn.

Not really, as every installment is a separate entity that starts from level 1, the stories also don't have anything to do with one another. Sure, HK references some events from Returns, but it wasn't anything important. It probably references some from Dragonfall, but I can follow the story just fine, so it also isn't important.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I tried Drones in Dragonfall, I didn't find them amazing. Their hit chance is always crap. I tried Racter in some mission in HK, his drone was mostly useless. I don't know where you are pulling this drones are OP thing.
With one drone, you lose 1 ap and can gain 4 ap for that, that is 3 extra ap, the problem with drones is that the low tier drones are crap with really low accuracy, while the high tier drones can have 8 attacks with 80% accuracy by the end of the game, for most of the game a rigger is pretty under powered because of the low accuracy, only shining in the end. I liked best to not go all the way rigger as you will only reap the benefit on the last missions but having enough points to get the last models, having only one drone active, gaining 2 extra AP, some late models have grenade launchers where the grenades don't occupy an inventory slot and recharge for free after each mission, all the rest of the karma on quickness and a little bit on rifles for some extra critical chance.

Nothing better to move a drone inside a vent and force the ai to be flanked by the drone or be flanked by your 24 damage sniper rifle. Even if the drone is destroyed, you will get another one for free after the mission, so you can kamikaze them on more critical fights. Later drones are like having an extra party member to setup flank shots.

Lacrymas

Arcane
With one drone, you lose 1 ap and can gain 4 ap for that, that is 3 extra ap, the problem with drones is that the low tier drones are crap with really low accuracy,

I didn't find even this a problem, because, like I said, enemies tend to ignore them, so you can literally walk up to their face, or everywhere else, with the drone and get a better chance to hit.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is "light tactical combat" a euphemism for "an excuse for shitty AI"?
What euphemism? The AI isn't supposed to be elite, was never meant to be. Enemies walk around and shoot, you use a few buffs/debuffs, take cover and shoot back. Good for you, you found an unbalanced combination of abilities. Min/maxing a game that wasn't rigorously designed and tested to be unbreakable means you will have an easy time. You broke the game and ended up hating it, yet finished it anyway. Your medal is in the mail.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You broke the game and ended up hating it, yet finished it anyway.

No, I explicitly stated that I enjoyed it, multiple times in fact. I don't hate it, far from it. I just don't give it a free pass because "the devs didn't make it so" (??). I also didn't min-max anything, I simply spent my karma on the rigger line because I thought controlling killer robots and flying death machines would be cool, and it is. This defense brigade that has infested and bred all over this thread is frankly creepy.

Sykar

Arcane
With one drone, you lose 1 ap and can gain 4 ap for that, that is 3 extra ap, the problem with drones is that the low tier drones are crap with really low accuracy, while the high tier drones can have 8 attacks with 80% accuracy by the end of the game, for most of the game a rigger is pretty under powered because of the low accuracy, only shining in the end. I liked best to not go all the way rigger as you will only reap the benefit on the last missions but having enough points to get the last models, having only one drone active, gaining 2 extra AP, some late models have grenade launchers where the grenades don't occupy an inventory slot and recharge for free after each mission, all the rest of the karma on quickness and a little bit on rifles for some extra critical chance.

Nothing better to move a drone inside a vent and force the ai to be flanked by the drone or be flanked by your 24 damage sniper rifle. Even if the drone is destroyed, you will get another one for free after the mission, so you can kamikaze them on more critical fights. Later drones are like having an extra party member to setup flank shots.

What?

Mark Richard

Arcane

Not really, as every installment is a separate entity that starts from level 1, the stories also don't have anything to do with one another. Sure, HK references some events from Returns, but it wasn't anything important. It probably references some from Dragonfall, but I can follow the story just fine, so it also isn't important.
Think he's making the comparison strictly from a quality standpoint rather than a canonical one. Otherwise I'd also add that in HK players don't start out as a Shadowrunner, so it can be a decent entry point to the series and an excuse to ask questions without breaking character.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Maybe I completely miss-skilled my Street Samurai (quite possible), but after that experience my Rigger felt like easy mode, especially once you get your second drone. Pretty sure I could have soloed the game.

Sykar

Arcane
Maybe I completely miss-skilled my Street Samurai (quite possible), but after that experience my Rigger felt like easy mode, especially once you get your second drone. Pretty sure I could have soloed the game.

Was already soloed with a mage and a shaman iirc so whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom