Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

ortucis

Prophet
nu0yQsv.png

Retards on Steam trying hard to give this game a negative review.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
nu0yQsv.png

Retards on Steam trying hard to give this game a negative review.
PB games have a lot of people mindlessly hate them and then still buy them just to leave negative reviews. Pre launch I saw this one retard leave comments anywhere on YouTube he could about how this game will be shit, both new and old videos, it's like he was being paid to shit on a game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also speaking of combatings against humans, I've found it's absolutely crucial to observe your enemy's stamina bar and act accordingly. That was what turned the Drog fight from nightmare to near-easy to me - if you just break through his guard once and knock him down, you're basically on the road to a permastunlock, since your stamina will regen faster than his.

Naturally, this sorta only works against chumps, because better gits like the random bandit enemies will just riposte and shank you.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally got enough dex for muh laser and plasma guns! Except the damage is shit, I've wasted 31 points on Dex to use weapons that do shit damage and my PSI spells do incredible damage (in comparison) despite mediocre stat and skill investments. :negative:
I think I'm gonna have to restart and just go with a full melee or melee magic hybrid, because ranged weapons aren't really doing it for me.

Damn, I was aiming for energy weapons to...
Well thanks for the hands up :P, I'll just go sword and board with PSİ now.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone have any good tips or strategies to fight multiple opponents in melee? I kinda panic when it's more than one targeting me :)

I'm currently using shield and one-handed sword.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What do you need explained? He's saying dangerous enemies next to the starting areas have been part and parcel of the Gothic series since the very beginning; it's not much different. Khorinis especially has some killer goblins if you go one way, killer orcs the other way, killer bandits the third way and a killer shadow beast somewhere else.

I got that. I'd like to know if he considers it good design or not.

He does.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
PB games have a lot of people mindlessly hate them and then still buy them just to leave negative reviews. Pre launch I saw this one retard leave comments anywhere on YouTube he could about how this game will be shit, both new and old videos, it's like he was being paid to shit on a game.

Todd Howard gets bored some times, okay?

Jinn

Arcane
Well, jerky FPS in the Domed City triggered me into buying a new video card just now. It was time for an upgrade anyway. Piece of shit GTX 760 couldn't handle ELEX's glory.

The lolmedia scores are the icing on the cake.

I respect PB a great deal more now - they didn't compromise (too much) and they respected their longtime fans, instead of going down the shitty path they had taken with Risen 3. Some crummy animations are really nothing and the game looks very good (except for the nuclear bloom when leaving an indoors location, but I suspect that'll be patched out or at least made an option). Most importantly, it doesn't treat the player like a retard. First town felt like an expanded version of Gothic 1.

Lolmedia reactions are just the icing on the cake. That IGN review was pure gold. "bububu I can't buy the best wepunz in the gaym after mashing for 30 hours", "bububu I have to buy heal pots to heal", "bububu I can't press A for awesome and can't buy the best armour in the game by shelling out my credit card", bwahahahaha.

I wonder how many units they need to sell to break even. Hoping they'll manage it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also to come back to nuclear bloom:

I don't buy the explanation that this is a coverup for loading assets. Wait for night to fall and enter some buildings - all the textures are already loaded and there's no leave/enter transition whatsoever.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I wonder how many units they need to sell to break even. Hoping they'll manage it.
I don't think this game had a large budget and they did reuse a lot of assets (shit, I think one of the grass sprites was from Gothic 2), I think they already have broken even with around 20 to 30k players on PC. Piranha Bytes really deserves to have smooth sailing from here on out and I think they earned it with Elex being a reasonable success and relations being good with THQ Nordic. THQ Nordic is shaping up to be one of the best AA European publishers around, supporting ambitious projects like this.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Im not a huge Gothic fan but seeing the sheer incline of this game on some LPs I decided to buy the game (damn expensive on GOG while Steam has regional pricing for almost half the price) to support the developer
The combat looks janky but overall it is rather charming in an old school sort of way
Made me want to try playing the first 2 Gothics to get in the grove before playing this
Anybody playing with a gamepad? Is it better than K&M? I am not one of those zelots that play action based combat games without a gamepad but if there is a better option I am open to it

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The way PB keeps reusing assets across all their games shows that they have some very smart people running the company. I can't imagine how much it cuts on development costs and time when you can just recycle half the animations, models and textures from the get-go, I wouldn't even be surprised if it was one of the major reasons why PB is still around in the first place.

PrettyDeadman

Also to come back to nuclear bloom:

I don't buy the explanation that this is a coverup for loading assets. Wait for night to fall and enter some buildings - all the textures are already loaded and there's no leave/enter transition whatsoever.
They probably just mesed up with special effects settings. Hopefully it will be patched.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Im not a huge Gothic fan but seeing the sheer incline of this game on some LPs I decided to buy the game (damn expensive on GOG while Steam has regional pricing for almost half the price) to support the developer
The combat looks janky but overall it is rather charming in an old school sort of way
Made me want to try playing the first 2 Gothics to get in the grove before playing this
Anybody playing with a gamepad? Is it better than K&M? I am not one of those zelots that play action based combat games without a gamepad but if there is a better option I am open to it
I tried my Xbox 360 controller and it works fine, but I found that movement is a bit difficult. You really can't jet around and shoot and swap weapons as well and you don't have as many slots for obvious reasons, but it works well enough if you are a controller player. I'm an absolute keyboard elitist aside from very few genres and games and I really prefer my RPG with KB/M.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Good to see after the ten pages of just random trolling on the word ELEX in the middle of this thread that people are finally playing and enjoying the game. I will definitely be waiting for a couple of patches before I give it a go.

Jinn

Arcane
I've enjoyed exploring the region of Edan immensely, and am not even close to being done there (still need to visit the Valley of the Damned and the coastal region around there), but I decided to move towards Abessa. I have to say that I'm just blown away by how good this region is too. I love the Domed City and surrounding area so far. The Domed City is such an interesting melting pot, and they managed to execute it in a non-awkward way. The hills and mountain sides scattered around the area make for some great vertical exploration as well. Definitely under-leveled for this area, but I'm go to do a few more quests and do some major sneaking around enemies.

Naraya

Arcane
Hmm, it seems that this game flies very much under the radar for a lot of people. Being a Twitch hound, I see few ELEX streams and total viewers, even when compared to recent (but very well known) games like eg. D:OS2. Just wondering, is it a case of bad marketing or something else?

PrettyDeadman

I've enjoyed exploring the region of Edan immensely, and am not even close to being done there (still need to visit the Valley of the Damned and the coastal region around there), but I decided to move towards Abessa. I have to say that I'm just blown away by how good this region is too. I love the Domed City and surrounding area so far. The Domed City is such an interesting melting pot, and they managed to execute it in a non-awkward way. The hills and mountain sides scattered around the area make for some great vertical exploration as well. Definitely under-leveled for this area, but I'm go to do a few more quests and do some major sneaking around enemies.
Valley of the Damned has really high level mobs. I found them to be harder than anything around Domed City or Hort (only though a bunch of monsters there), so maybe you were right to skip it and progress in other direction.
There is some ok loot there which can be used by relatively low lewl character though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom