Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Elex

Arbiter
Yeah I'm gonna call bullshit on that.

Enemy placement seems to be random. If you manually place enemies you don't go from level one to level ENDGAME right next to it. In Gothic and Risen games, enemy placement makes sense, in this game, it feels random. They have basically set up regions for specific enemies and enemies just randomly spawn in those regions, that's why they are going around getting mixed up with each other. There is no sense in creature placement, no reason for some creatures to be in an area at all (like trolls).

They have cut corners like Bethesda and enemies have been randomly placed, just like that ugly grass texture that's floating around randomly on rocks and edges in "hand crafted" world. How do you mess up grass in a town which needs to be manually created? Obviously towns are not random, so someone actually had to do a half-arsed job of decorating the whole place.

Game is fun, but trying to excuse stupid shit in-game as "PB charm" is just dumb. This is how you end up with three Risen games.

Also, this patrol just passed by that chicken, which proceeded to attack me instead. Even in Gothic 3, humanoids would get attacked by creatures, in ELEX, they just directly aim for the player. Wow lazy AI regression in an RPG, must be that PB charm and difficult curve herp derp. :roll:

there is a skill that make certain animals not aggressive maybe guards have that.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The same Risen 3 that was objectively a finished, functional game while this really isn't? But there are "no invisible walls", so I guess stuff like UI that is the worst console nightmare made flesh + has design and aesthetics of a russian game from 2006 + doesn't even give absolutely basic info or entire dialogue system and trees that "works" like it wasn't playtested at-fucking-all doesn't matter.

I have absolutely no idea how Elex is supposed to be a "non-finished, non-functional game" compared to Risen 3. Everything works for me so far and I haven't run into any major bugs. Hardly even any minor ones. Smooth performance and no crashes. I'm also puzzled as to how the dialogue system is supposed to not work at all.

Also please, you talk about the UI here being a nightmare YET THE ONE IN RISEN 3 SUPPOSEDLY WASN'T? Holy shit man. It's just about the same one but with a different paintjob, FFS.

Then again, aren't you the guy who seriously claimed R2 is better than R3?

They are both equal pieces of trash. R2 has only a modicum of an advantage because it has a few more funsies.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The interface is pretty bad though: Always wind up hunting through like 6 tabs to find the item I am looking for.

R1sen did it better, as did gothic2 (it's basically the same)

ArchAngel

Arcane
LOL game has a hilarious bug I seen on stream. When you talk to girls their boobs seem to wiggle all the time for no apparent reason :D

puppyonastik

Augur
So would you all agree that waiting for patches, community mods, and expansions to come out before getting the game is the best course of action? or is the game decently polished enough that waiting probably won't make that much of a difference?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally got enough dex for muh laser and plasma guns! Except the damage is shit, I've wasted 31 points on Dex to use weapons that do shit damage and my PSI spells do incredible damage (in comparison) despite mediocre stat and skill investments. :negative:
I think I'm gonna have to restart and just go with a full melee or melee magic hybrid, because ranged weapons aren't really doing it for me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So would you all agree that waiting for patches, community mods, and expansions to come out before getting the game is the best course of action? or is the game decently polished enough that waiting probably won't make that much of a difference?

It's playable enough that I don't think patches are going to change it in any significant way. I also wouldn't bet on any mods appearing at all (although I sure wish someone disabled the fucking mole people effect).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'd recommend buying it now. I have only encountered 1 bug in my 20 hours so far, and it was a minor bug that made me miss out on maybe 100 elex.
That said, it seems like the English version might be buggier than the German one for ... no reason?
Or maybe I am just getting lucky.

Also, I really suggest anyone who remotely understands German to play in German - the writing is much better (still nothing amazing) and the voice acting is basically the same six guys that voiced Gothic. The German used isn't very difficult at all (as far as German goes) so you should be okay with school / beginner level German and a dictionary by the side.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
The enemies are not randomly placed, they were hand placed to create exactly this experience.

Negative. I've seen a biter change into a critter after reloading. I'm p. sure these are spawned dynamically from some list.

Regarding the randomization:

I thought two alps at one point and they both had hammers but after dying and reloading one had a hammer and the other a sword :M

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Also, I really suggest anyone who remotely understands German to play in German - the writing is much better (still nothing amazing) and the voice acting is basically the same six guys that voiced Gothic. The German used isn't very difficult at all (as far as German goes) so you should be okay with school / beginner level German and a dictionary by the side.

Volles Pfund aufs Maul just doesn't have the same vibe in English.

Elex

Arbiter
http://steamcharts.com/app/411300
look like the game is doing fine, so if this time the pubblisher do the right thing PB will have time (and money) for polish the game and work on an expansion.

maybe one day PB will also have animators a man can dream.

Achilles

Arcane
Having super powerful creatures and enemies appear close to a game's safe zones and settlements seems like bad design to me. Shouldn't the sense of danger escalate the further you get from civilization?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

Volles Pfund aufs Maul just doesn't have the same vibe in English.
I'd go so far as to say none of the Gothic games (counting this one among them) really work in English. English is a great language for a lot of things. It's not a good language for ... okay, the jokes really write themselves, but: being shit on. German is perfect for the Gothic-experience where you're the lowest of the low at the start; everyone is mouthing off at you, everyone is a brash asshole, and you slowly have to fight, inch by inch, for respect. German is a perfect language for this kind of gritty, rough around the edges, dirty world.

Russian/Polish/Czech would also work I bet.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Having super powerful creatures and enemies appear close to a game's safe zones and settlements seems like bad design to me.

yeah like snappers and a shadowbeast and an ork warrior right outside the khorinis walls (from the direction of the starting area)

beati2.jpg

Kahr

So am i right that ELEX potions will destroy the whole system?

Edit: Somewhere was a text about feelings and losing freedom of choice.
So am i trading c&c for exp?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Alrik restocks natural Elex in his inventory... this will prolly be patched. Basically unlimited/skill attribute potions.

Drinking the potions doesn't even raise Cold for whatever reason.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Having super powerful creatures and enemies appear close to a game's safe zones and settlements seems like bad design to me.

yeah like snappers and a shadowbeast and an ork warrior right outside the khorinis walls (from the direction of the starting area)

beati2.jpg

To be fair that one ork was a SUPER SECRET NINJA STEALTH ORK SCOUT and killing him was a major quest.

But idk what people are saying, Toliet seems pretty safe to me. The mobs are a huge danger to the player but not really to the guards.

Elex

Arbiter
i'm confused by a detail during the game intro, how much time is passed since jax is shooted and he wake up?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
What do you need explained? He's saying dangerous enemies next to the starting areas have been part and parcel of the Gothic series since the very beginning; it's not much different. Khorinis especially has some killer goblins if you go one way, killer orcs the other way, killer bandits the third way and a killer shadow beast somewhere else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom