Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Almost turn 70 with Teclis. Enjoying myself so far. I am trying to avoid confederations for now.

One good strategy is just to hire a lord on turn one and dedicate it to picking up treasure around the sea. Most of the time it is junk items and some decent gold, but sometimes you find a 10,000 treasure chest. The treasure respawns too, and so you never have to stop. It helps around a lot when you are trying to tech up.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I just noticed the Skaven music includes what I can only describe as "Skaven throat singing". CA doesn't get enough credit for their music I feel. Sure, it's not something you'd actively listen to outside the game but certain tracks stick with you.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the looks of it,the game is a flop. Not a big one,but still a flop.
The first one have around 1,800,000-1,900,000 owners,while this one have 420,000.
Here is steamspy:
http://steamspy.com/app/364360
http://steamspy.com/app/594570
Also here is Rome II https://steamspy.com/app/214950
You are forgetting that the development cost of the second installment is likely A LOT of smaller.
The engine was already developed. Maybe a few optimizations and smaller changes, but nothing major.
Parts of the assets are also no doubt reusable from the first game, etc.

Besides, the first game has been on a number of sales already, which is when most "units" are sold.
It is also the known law of sequels, I doubt they expected anything different.

However, I also kinda doubt how clever it is to basically put out three times the same game in short succession...
Works for FIFA, though :lol:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
From the looks of it,the game is a flop. Not a big one,but still a flop.
The first one have around 1,800,000-1,900,000 owners,while this one have 420,000.
Here is steamspy:
http://steamspy.com/app/364360
http://steamspy.com/app/594570
Also here is Rome II https://steamspy.com/app/214950
You are forgetting that the development cost of the second installment is likely A LOT of smaller.
The engine was already developed. Maybe a few optimizations and smaller changes, but nothing major.
Parts of the assets are also no doubt reusable from the first game, etc.

Besides, the first game has been on a number of sales already, which is when most "units" are sold.
It is also the known law of sequels, I doubt they expected anything different.

However, I also kinda doubt how clever it is to basically put out three times the same game in short succession...
Works for FIFA, though :lol:
Putting the same game works if the game is enjoyable. I love piranha bytes games and Warrior games. I am not saying that the game didn't make money,i am saying that it is more or less a flop. Games need time to be developed and investors wan't a certain amount of income after the game comes out. Now if the income is not very good,them money are wasted and considered a loss in a way. Because the investors could have put it in something that could make them more money. Also inflation,you see around 5% loss on your money every year. Which makes the expected income around 30%-50%,depending on the time that is needed for the product to be made.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

DeepOcean

Arcane
Lazy sequels that recycle too much always sell less, people expect a leap forward on sequels, AAA developers are being way too lazy lately.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's a pity they don't make Total War games anymore, they were quite fun for a while but I guess it's all the for the best as they stopped creating any new improvements about ten years ago

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's a pity they don't make Total War games anymore, they were quite fun for a while but I guess it's all the for the best as they stopped creating any new improvements about ten years ago
At least their older games are more or less classics.

mwnn85

Savant
I think they lost it after Medieval: Total War personally; it was a massive improvement over Shogun at the time.

Perfect sequel. I loved taking over Europe and fighting crusades in the Middle East. I don't know if I'd have the patience to win a grand campaign now.

The Risk style map, family tree and all the amusing negative traits, titles, army stacks & unit retraining, unique units with the correct building(s) in a territory, having to balance the books, the battles especially the siege battles, the three era's, etc.

The perfect mix for me.

A lot of people prefer Medieval 2 but I didn't particularly like the 3D strategy map due to the tiny zones of control plus it looks and feels really dated now.

These Warhammer games have been stripped right down to the basics. A few building slots per settlement, only a handful of generals/armies, auto-replenishment. I find the strategy map to be rather stale. The AI will move out it's one army the moment you move out yours.

Other than the Warhammer setting it's all been done before and far better. I don't think the addition of naval battles (since Empire) added anything worthy of note - if anything they remind me of the floating bathtubs from Age of Empires 3.

Attila brought back the family tree and has the migration mechanics - I kind of half like it. I've yet to play Charlemagne.

Shogun 2
is probably the most recent title that I've liked but I still prefer medieval Europe.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
The complaints you have about Warhammer are in Shogun 2. Shogun only got good, to me anyway, and like with almost all Total War games, with mods.

Warhammer is actually fairly refreshing with it's varied unit rosters, which they learned from Rome 2. But Rome 2 is poo pooed because it sucked at release, but honestly, it's not bad now. Attila is pretty decent too, good Barbarian Invasion to Rome 2. Charlemagne feels like a prototype for Medieval III, but without any fleshing out of factions. Lots of samey units for everyone.

janior

Arcane
Patron
The most weird thing to me is why the fuck did they crafted this yuge and beautiful world map and theres literally little point to it... just an eye-candy.
Same thing goes for detail on units, literally no point to it because the battle are waay too quick. Kinda wasted potential imo.
For starters i was p sure it's gonna be shit but ended up enjoying campagins as dark elves and high elves, it's casual as fuck but also fun compared to the borefest that was warhammer 1. I don't even mind armies spawning literally in the middle of my kingdom. It really has a potential to be solid game after all the dlcs. I'm gonna buy it for sure, once it's on sale and all dlcs are out.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That has honestly been a problem ever since the series jumped to 3D and campaign map became about juggling move points on top of pretty maps. I agree in many ways with what mwnn85 said about Medieval's strong points and that clear cut Risk-like presentation of the campaign was definitely one of them.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I do not know if I encountered a bug or there is some mechanic I am missing. I consistently build up a decent income only to have it suddenly plummet. I went from 4k gold to -2k over the course of a single turn, and the only thing that happened was an assassination attempt against my LL. I will check my trade income, but I do not see why it would drop without some dramatic change.

I am finishing up my Teclis play-through, and Skrolk and two other Skaven stacks performed an ambush attack. It was my army of 1k, versus nearly 5k skaven. I had 1 army infront of me, and two reinforcement armies that spawned behind me, which both had artillery. I killed Skrolk, all the lords, and mopped up the rest with Flock of Doom. I did not lose a single stack (although very close on several ), but I still got a pyrrhic victory.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I do not know if I encountered a bug or there is some mechanic I am missing. I consistently build up a decent income only to have it suddenly plummet. I went from 4k gold to -2k over the course of a single turn, and the only thing that happened was an assassination attempt against my LL. I will check my trade income, but I do not see why it would drop without some dramatic change.

I am finishing up my Teclis play-through, and Skrolk and two other Skaven stacks performed an ambush attack. It was my army of 1k, versus nearly 5k skaven. I had 1 army infront of me, and two reinforcement armies that spawned behind me, which both had artillery. I killed Skrolk, all the lords, and mopped up the rest with Flock of Doom. I did not lose a single stack (although very close on several ), but I still got a pyrrhic victory.
Out of curiosity can you say, without using google, how many men Pyrrhus lost per killed enemy?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The free campaign set across the Old World and the New World, requires you to own both games to play:

Total War: WARHAMMER II – Mortal Empires

This content is a massive free expansion to owners of both Total War: WARHAMMER & Total War: WARHAMMER II, and requires ownership of both games to play.
  • A new grand scale campaign set across the Old World and the New World.
  • Play as any Legendary Lord from both games and any owned DLC.
  • Thousands of hours of gameplay.
  • 295 conquerable settlements.
  • 117 starting factions.
  • Up to 35 playable Legendary Lords.
  • Free to owners of both Total War: WARHAMMER & Total War: WARHAMMER II.
Mortal Empires is a new grand-scale campaign, free to owners of both Total War: WARHAMMER and Total War: WARHAMMER II. Once downloaded, the campaign is accessible through the Campaigns Menu in Total War: WARHAMMER II.

Encompassing the vast combined landmasses of both the Old World and the New World, Mortal Empires enables you to embark upon colossal new campaigns playing as any Legendary Lord from both games, including any introduced Free content packs and any you own as DLC. Players will be able to embark on campaigns as any of the 35 existing Legendary Lords from both games. This includes the Dwarfs, Greenskins, Empire, Bretonnia, Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Vampire Counts and Lizardmen.

Unlike the Eye of The Vortex campaign that shipped with WARHAMMER II, Mortal Empires doesn’t focus on one overarching narrative. Instead, it offers the classic sandbox Total War experience in the Warhammer Fantasy Battles world, expanding your empire in any direction you choose with no limits. You’ll still experience the escalating Chaos Warriors invasion from the original Total War: WARHAMMER Old World campaign, but with an exciting new twist: the forces of Chaos don’t just attack from the Chaos Wastes, but from other, unexpected directions as well…

Mortal Empires also features many of the new campaign features introduced in Total War: WARHAMMER II. These include treasure-hunting in ruins and encounters at sea; rogue armies, loyalty, rites and army abilities for the four New World races; new chokepoint battle maps; storms at sea; reefs and shallows; universal territory capture; plus numerous UI improvements and enhancements.

Mortal Empires is a bespoke new campaign map, not an exact reflection of the Old World and Eye of The Vortex campaign maps. As such, certain factions have unique new starting positions. The Skaven warlord Queek Headtaker of Clan Mors, for example, begins with ownership of Karag Orrud in the south-eastern Badlands. This puts him in the heart of Greenskin territory in the Old World.

PLEASE NOTE:

The Norscan factions, introduced in the Norsca Race pack for TW:WH1, are not yet playable in Mortal Empires. They will become playable to owners in a free update later in 2017, bringing the Legendary Lord count to 37.

kris

Arcane
I think his point is that Pyrrhus didn't actually go on losing more men than his enemy, he just couldn't afford losing as many as the Romans.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Romans were the Skaven of ancient Italy.
Do you know that some goats from Italy were preffered? It was because there was so much pollution in the area from Roman era, theirs intestines were heavily toxic and they tend to be free of parasites. (and of course people didn't ate intestines of these goats.)

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I meant that Romans had the ability to create Legions out of thin air field more men than other nations of comparable size, even after devastating losses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom