Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Elex

Arbiter
I cannot believe what I am reading. I honesty thought that Piranha Bytes was just a shell of a former glory, unable to ever produce anything of value anymore. Is it just a honeymoon or they had came back from the grave?
PB was never dead it seems.
German/Austrian publishers are just the vilest scum on this planet.
i imagine that during risen 2 and 3 the directive from the pubblisher was: "larger boobs and more pirates"

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I love this crappy excuse that is often said on steam forums:
>looks like many people bought the game who don't know how PB-games work

It's the duty of the game to explain mechanics whether by tutorial or to have ingame encyclopedia/manual, and not expect the player is a psychic. And on top of that, they expect the player will adapt to the shoddy mechanics, or do workaround around stupid things/mechanics.Or often advise to "have a certain frame of mind" when approaching PB games, and try to "immerse in the atmosphere/mood to understand the game and have more fun". I swear too many people[presumably fanboys] use this excuse to cover PB incompetence.

Still the best is "play for X amount of time, it gets better" xD And bam there goes the refund timer hehe xD Then it's swamp cam...ELEX FOR LYFE ! xD You will stay with us and like ELEX whether you want or not :P

Oh and another complaint. The factions don't feel like they are at war with eachother at all. No skirmishes, no clash quests as the story progress. No camp raiding, no battles of recon units, nothing. It's like a one stay-at-home happy family , that give PC a fetch quests.
but when a dark soul game do the same suddenly it's all about getting gud.

I was going to say the same thing. You have to understand for these kids the hipster factor and being told what to like is very important. That's the difference between a game being difficult but fair and obviously a cherished piece of art versus being a shitty game with combat that is difficult and like totally unfair.

Raapys

Arcane
Only thing I've found somewhat lacking from the Gothic series is the atmosphere.
Turn your colour saturation down to about 70%, (through gpu settings or directly on your monitor) helps a little I found haha.
Yeah, I'll give it a try.

PSI is incredibly powerful if someone is interested in going for a mage build. Chose the PSI Amplifier when I joined the Clerics and the Black Hole spell is really broken. It sucks all enemies in, knocks them down, gives them a DoT and does a heap of damage. You can just stunlock a group of enemies easily. Just gotta be careful since it can hurt you as well. The PSI AMP also has a chain lightning spell which was super disappointing and an EMP spell that is supposed to be effective vs mutants and machines.

For those interested in Clerics: I suggest you consider investing in chemistry to make potions for stats / skills, since you have to spread yourself across all the stats in this faction, and you'll be starved for stat points.
Yeah, the Black Hole thing is insane, and is a great reason to max the PSI skill asap; with +50% extra damage it's approaching the absurd due to the way damage threshold works. The EMP stuff doesn't do much damage, but does disable a robot for a few seconds. Can be useful on the big ones, since the black hole thing doesn't always block their shots.

For Chemistry, it looks like PSI regen potion crafting is currently kinda bugged; any version, even the lowest, can be upgraded 1:1 into the highest version without any additional cost.

Was wondering though, have you found a way to get a hold of the other PSI thing, the Thrower? Haven't found a place to buy it. I'll get lvl 15 and next rank soon, so I'm hoping I'll receive it then. Would be nice to check those three spells out with high PSI.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
So 5 stats, 90 points or 9 levels to max, that's 45 levels (46, since you start at 1) to max all stats. Is that reachable?

That would make the Attributes skill even more of a waste. If you get it at the earliest possible point (level 5), you'll get 40 extra stat points out of it, allowing you to cap 4 whole levels earlier. Whoop de do. Taking it any later is an utter waste. That's not even including the skill that lets you trade a learning point for 10 stat points or the stat-increasing potions.

bataille

Arcane
So 5 stats, 90 points or 9 levels to max, that's 45 levels (46, since you start at 1) to max all stats. Is that reachable?

That would make the Attributes skill even more of a waste. If you get it at the earliest possible point (level 5), you'll get 40 extra stat points out of it, allowing you to cap 4 whole levels earlier. Whoop de do. Taking it any later is an utter waste. That's not even including the skill that lets you trade a learning point for 10 stat points or the stat-increasing potions.

The cost of stats doubles after reaching 30 or 40 points.

ortucis

Prophet
Guys, I made a comic..

On the side note, I had to set the music to 10% and only then, it became "normal". It's way too fucking loud drowning out poor voice acting, which I am enjoying a lot.

Also, first 3-4 hours just spent talking to people and occasionally dying cause I got caught robbing mugs. :obviously:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

>Not even the first deathclaw you encounter in fallout 4 on the hardest difficulty gave me this much of a problem. I'm clueless here.
Pack it up guys. This game sucks, way too hard. The deathclaw fight in Fallout 4 where you had a set of power armor and a minigun was so difficult but this ELEX game is just insane.

That’s because Fallout 4 has level scaling. In Elex, you need to run away from everything that’s not a runt until you hit like level 7 (where it really opened up for me) and have a companion for a meatshield. If some fights are unwinnable early on, that’s because they’re supposed to be unwinnable at a low level. The developers don’t want you to bash your head against a wall fighting obviously unbeatable enemies, they want you to run away—that’s why they gave you a damned jet pack.

Raapys

Arcane

Yeah, it costs 2 points after 30, then 5 points after 60. The best shit(spells, weapons, etc.) seems to require around 65-70 in relevant attributes.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

There is a lot of elex potions that you could make,they give 2 attribute points. The recipes are sold by an alb dude in the domed city his name is flex or something like that. Oh and to max a attributel you need 180 points.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love this crappy excuse that is often said on steam forums:
>looks like many people bought the game who don't know how PB-games work

It's the duty of the game to explain mechanics whether by tutorial or to have ingame encyclopedia/manual, and not expect the player is a psychic. And on top of that, they expect the player will adapt to the shoddy mechanics, or do workaround around stupid things/mechanics.Or often advise to "have a certain frame of mind" when approaching PB games, and try to "immerse in the atmosphere/mood to understand the game and have more fun". I swear too many people[presumably fanboys] use this excuse to cover PB incompetence.

Still the best is "play for X amount of time, it gets better" xD And bam there goes the refund timer hehe xD Then it's swamp cam...ELEX FOR LYFE ! xD You will stay with us and like ELEX whether you want or not :P

Oh and another complaint. The factions don't feel like they are at war with eachother at all. No skirmishes, no clash quests as the story progress. No camp raiding, no battles of recon units, nothing. It's like a one stay-at-home happy family , that give PC a fetch quests.
Koniec urself.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
8g1fmJH.jpg

So much for having to grind INT to get that skill. :lol:

Unless it actually stacks and gives you 2/1, which I somehow doubt since 1 rank is the max. you can normally get.

You can get it very early too, it's at

the World Heart guarded by Thorgal, just south of the Domed City. Hunter's Bow also at the same place.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
20 Hours impression: I like it.

The exploration, open world level design, economy and progression are ace. Having quite a bit of fun. PB actually did good after 8 years.

The atmosphere and writing vary from meh to cringe. The world feels stupid rather than tongue-and-cheek.

Sadly melee is downright carcinogenic but there plenty of ranged weapons and magic attacks to have a serviceable combat experience.

Elex

Arbiter
That’s because Fallout 4 has level scaling. In Elex, you need to run away from everything that’s not a runt until you hit like level 7 (where it really opened up for me) and have a companion for a meatshield. If some fights are unwinnable early on, that’s because they’re supposed to be unwinnable at a low level. The developers don’t want you to bash your head against a wall fighting obviously unbeatable enemies, they want you to run away—that’s why they gave you a damned jet pack.
maybe they should rename it NOPEpack.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Oh that changes a lot I guess.

T. Reich

Arcane
Summoning most monocle codex members to answer my query

Is ELEX good?

I, uh, did a "full download trial" yesterday, and got lost in the lavish world of Elex for 4 hours instead of doing some really important IRL stuff.
Exploration is top-notch, difficulty is unforgiving, combat is all sorts of messy, very heavy G1-2 vibez.
I'll be back in 3 weeks, and then I'ma buy it fo reals and play the shit out of it (until the next PoE expansion comes out). Hopefully, it'll get some of dem polish patches by then.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am a bit worried this falls into the Gothic 2 trap of "Spend 40 hours in Chapter 1 doing every quest, then pick a faction, then spend 5 hours doing chapter 2-4 until the game is over."

Anyone play that far yet and have opinions?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am a bit worried this falls into the Gothic 2 trap of "Spend 40 hours in Chapter 1 doing every quest, then pick a faction, then spend 5 hours doing chapter 2-4 until the game is over."

It only came out 48 hours ago, so getting that far would be physically impossible without a large quantity of stimulants (that’s some hardcore outlaw roleplaying). Elex is really good, but not quit your job and smoke meth to play it nonstop for days good.

Seems like a lot of stuff gets unlocked once you join a faction so the late game will probably take a while.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I am getting that feeling as well (Risen another example) but not far enough in

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom