Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I've been working on a new web site for a while. You are all invited to take a peek at it: www.callofsaregnar.com
Good on you! Hope this didn't slow the game's development down too much. What are you looking at as far as a release date?

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I've been working on a new web site for a while. You are all invited to take a peek at it: www.callofsaregnar.com
Good on you! Hope this didn't slow the game's development down too much. What are you looking at as far as a release date?
Naah, I’ve been building web sites for 12 years now. I’ve spent about 10 to 15 hours on it.
Can’t say on a release date. It all comes down to what I can accomplish in the next year’s time. A demo in a year, then it’s all about production stuff.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
This looks great, man! I made a similar decision this year to work on my game full-time. It's a lot of work but very satisfying.

BaK is probably my favorite RPG after Fallout 1. I always thought most of that was due to nealiios' amazing prose, but some of these screenshots made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside so there must be more ingredients to the magic of that game. I hope you can capture that. Are you planning on including similar prose-heavy flavor?

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
This looks great, man! I made a similar decision this year to work on my game full-time. It's a lot of work but very satisfying.

BaK is probably my favorite RPG after Fallout 1. I always thought most of that was due to nealiios' amazing prose, but some of these screenshots made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside so there must be more ingredients to the magic of that game. I hope you can capture that. Are you planning on including similar prose-heavy flavor?

Thanks, it's nice to hear you get the vibe from it!

Prose-heavy? Oh definitely. I'm not dumbing down the game for today's illiterates.

Btw, good luck with your game, looks like fun! And speaking of fun, it's funny I haven't noticed it before!

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Release date the next december? :) :bounce:
Will work towards releasing a demo by then, ok? :)

1. Demos stop sales to people who want to try your game but won't end up liking it.

2. Demos prevent impulse decision sales.

3. Demos may delay people who will like your game from making the purchase.

4. Let's Plays have become popular and give a game publicity and let's players decide if they want to buy it.

Just some thoughts, I want this game to succeed haha

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Haha, I've been through those same thoughts not long ago. I will work towards making a demo, but I have also decided that the demo will only be for game shows, potential publishers, the media, and ultimately for myself. Will definitely work towards producing a high-quality trailer though.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Haha, I've been through those same thoughts not long ago. I will work towards making a demo, but I have also decided that the demo will only be for game shows, potential publishers, the media, and ultimately for myself. Will definitely work towards producing a high-quality trailer though.
But what about private demos for friends and family, huh, huh? (wink wink)

Last edited:

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Hey, long time no update, so I guess one is in order. I've been putting together the shopping system in the last weeks and it's almost complete.

Also, had a meeting with this bunch of ruffians (and another score of them) yesterday, and they've agreed to become the actors for the game. I couldn't be happier about it.
HETA1cl.jpg

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Everything looks great dude, it's nice to see someone taking such an endeavour out of love. Can't help with much, but I'll throw a grain of sand towards your patreon; hope you reach your goal soon.
Do you plan on allowing for font switching/scaling? The preset looks great and fits the atmosphere, but I feel like it'll be taxing to read long stretches of text like that.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Everything looks great dude, it's nice to see someone taking such an endeavour out of love. Can't help with much, but I'll throw a grain of sand towards your patreon; hope you reach your goal soon.
Do you plan on allowing for font switching/scaling? The preset looks great and fits the atmosphere, but I feel like it'll be taxing to read long stretches of text like that.

I thank you very much, every $ takes me nearer independence in developing the game(s).

I find this pixelated font quite easy on the eyes, but I don't see a big problem making an option to switch to a hi-res font. I will be considering this along with some other accessibility options as the project matures.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
A quick head's up:
This book features a lot of high quality pictures of pre-classical instruments. The book was first published in 1888 and then reedited in 1921, it's no longer copyrighted.

Colorized pictures of old opera singers in stage garments such as this or these for close-ups might save you the hassle of green-screening larpers.

It's most certainly something that should be last in the order of priorities, but I thought it might be of use to add to the ambiance of some places.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
A quick head's up:
This book features a lot of high quality pictures of pre-classical instruments. The book was first published in 1888 and then reedited in 1921, it's no longer copyrighted.

Colorized pictures of old opera singers in stage garments such as this or these for close-ups might save you the hassle of green-screening larpers.

It's most certainly something that should be last in the order of priorities, but I thought it might be of use to add to the ambiance of some places.

Thank you, will definitely take a look at it! EDIT: There is some REALLY good art in there!

Related, I am making a big photoshoot today for villagers and the three main characters, so there will finally be some portraits in those empty grey placeholders.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I'm deeply concerned by the prevalence of white skinned people in that photograph and screenshots showed so far.
None of those women look like they have a penis either, so I must wonder if Call of Saregnar actually plans to tackle the issue of misrepresented minorities in video games at all. I'm not gonna spend my hard earned dollars in supporting a project doomed from the very beginning by its retrograde leanings.

___

On a serious note, the costumes look great, good work!
An actual concern based on that screenshot posted way above: no musician would ever place an instrument above a lighted fireplace (or any source of heat/cold for that matter), it'd completely wreak havoc amongst the gut strings and the soundboard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom