Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it only fair to hope that the very authors who worked on the latter could at least replicate some of it.
Absolutely; it's perfectly "fair" to hope for your ideal game to be made. It's fine that you were disappointed because that didn't magically happen. You fucked up when you jumped from that to "This game is a failure in every way because it did not conform to my vision I made up". They weren't even trying to make "Radiant quests with guns", dude. That doesn't mean they failed. You bought a burger and you're complaining that it's not ice cream ... but that still doesn't make it a bad burger. Next time read the menu before you order.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
This game was awesome and everyone who didn't like it is a faggot
I can think plenty of reasons for not liking these games.
Combat, while a huge step up from its predecesors, is still repetitive as fuck. You always end up doing the fucking same thanks to the retarded character system and the inane cooldowns.
Hong kong has too many words, most of that shit doesnt even matter either, they should have kept shit brief and given us more interactions instead of making the ones we got so verbose.
The lack of content is a blessing and a curse. A curse because you want more shadowrun, a blessing because its about as much as you can take from the gameplay before it gets stale as fuck and you start dreading another encounter.
There is no real player agency. While i get this isnt that sort of game they could have given you a bit more control over your team. Maybe it should have been you going out there and getting these missions instead of them being handed to you by some prick.

Dragonfall and hong kong are overrall the best shadowrun games outthere, but they are still not good enough. This is one of the reasons im glad HB left the IP resting for a while. When they come back to it, and they will. Theyll have new technology and more experience under their belt and the games they will make will surely be better. (Inb4 :fabulously optimistic: ratings).

Saduj

Arcane
I've played mods for the new Shadowrun games that are better than the console versions.

Saduj

Arcane
Antumbra Saga (originally released as three parts) is pretty good for the original game. The Caldecott Caper for Hong Kong is the sequel and better than the original so if you're going to play one, I'd play that one. The sequel refers to some characters and events from the first mod but its really a new plot.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Let's not condemn HBS for lack of ambition. They shipped DMS with a Campaign Editor. Their ambition was to create the next NWN. That didn't happen, but the ambition was there.

As far as open world, the engine they created for SR mirrors the structure of the Shadowrun PnP adventure modules. If you've read any of them (except Renraku Arcology Shutdown), they are always presented as a sequence of encounters just like DMS/ Dragonfall. I'm pretty sure this was intentional to make it easy to convert the PnP modules to SR, or at least inspire some modders to try it.

Cross

Arcane
BkyOTXq.jpg

Silva

Arcane
What do you mean by this?
I don't get it.

branching as in dialogue tree. In some games you need to make specific choices in order to reach specific dialogue option.
You are welcome, I hope I've cleared some of you confusion.
I just remember this happening (with any relevance) once in Dragonfall? None in Returns. Sorry, but this series is far from being good at C&C. It's perfunctory at best (like everything else besides walls of text).

orcinator

Liturgist
What do you mean by this?
I don't get it.

branching as in dialogue tree. In some games you need to make specific choices in order to reach specific dialogue option.
You are welcome, I hope I've cleared some of you confusion.

I don't think those are in the new Shadowrun games.
The dialogue trees are more like dialogue stumps though.
SRR doesn't have any of that shit you dumb bastich.

Oh for fucks sake, read my post 2 pages back about C&C in Hong Kong.

Read my post about how most of the consequences (including some of those you just listed like the community center) result in nothing more than changing one paragraph of text and none of your decisions besides APEX and that one decision in HK have any sort of tangible consequence. Being barely able to come close to Skyrim in the C&C department is not good C&C.

Sykar

Arcane

Most NPCs in the SNES version had something to say about maybe 2-3 topics and just gave generic "Dunno nuffin" response to the rest so this is in no way is representation of which of those RPGs had a richer experience in terms of dialogue. There were also no skill or attribute checks, charisma merely determined the amount of runners you can hire at the same time iirc.
There was also no branching whatsoever, you go down the list and hope that one of those words will give you something.
In a way you play whack a mole dialogue style.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
You do realize most of those questions led nowhere in the old shadowrun game, right?

2015121709323779.jpg

Getting tired of this shit, old games are great, and there are a ton of lessons to be learned from them, and a lot of them hold up today. But when you are wrong you are wrong.

Cross

Arcane

By the way, notice how the responses in the Dragonfall conversation consist of the same question rephrased in three different ways, whereas the Shadowrun Snes game not only has multiple pages of distinct keywords (only one of which is visible in the screenshot), but keywords learned from one NPC can open up new conversations with other NPC's which have tangible consequences, such as this particular conversaton that clues you in on how to handle a later encounter with a vampire.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
By the way, notice how the responses in the Dragonfall conversation consist of the same question rephrased in three different ways
That definitely happened, but don't get confused that what's shown is the best example of SRR conversations.

whereas the Shadowrun Snes game not only has multiple pages of distinct keywords
98% of which are answered by "I don't want to talk about that." I sure love flipping through pages of nothing!

keywords learned from one NPC can open up new conversations with other NPC's which have tangible consequences, such as this particular conversaton that clues you in on how to handle a later encounter with a vampire.
The implication is that you don't believe that conversation options in SRR can have consequences on later plot points. You are mistaken.

Cross

Arcane
By the way, notice how the responses in the Dragonfall conversation consist of the same question rephrased in three different ways
That definitely happened, but don't get confused that what's shown is the best example of SRR conversations.
There are obviously better conversations to be found in Dragonfall, but that screenshot is definitely the best example since it's very representative of the game. I was surprised, and disappointed, by how frequently conversations in Dragonfall were structured like the one in that conversation. Having some 'fake' responses for flavor and fleshing out the protagonist is fine, but the responses in Dragonfall don't even have that going for them, they boil down to three different ways of saying hi or asking 'what do we next?'.

In many ways, Dragonfall is guilty of the same thing as Fallout 4: rigidly adhering to the same conversational structure for every bit of dialogue, no matter how poorly it fits. It bears mentioning that Planescape: Torment, the most verbose RPG of all time, frequently only allows you one thing to say (e.g. when you approach an NPC, there is just the one 'Greetings' response).

The dialogue in Shadowrun Snes is far from perfect, but it feels like a much more organic part of the game than Dragonfall's.

Zombra

Patron
The dialogue in Shadowrun Snes is far from perfect, but it feels like a much more organic part of the game than Dragonfall's.
It's certainly more "systemic", and I can see the appeal of that ... personally, I remember hating it. With swarms of NPCs and a thousand topics, matching them became a memory game, and I don't have a good head for names. Forget one piece of information and you're reduced to clicking through every topic with every NPC ... a process I would hardly describe as "organic".

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I just love that DF has turn based combat.

People will find an excuse to hate on it here as well, by saying that it doesn't suit the Shadowrun IP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom