Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
blah blah blah I suck anonymous dick at gay night clubs
shut the fuck up homo

OOOUCH! YOU GOT ME BUT GOOOD!

Why don't you do something useful for once and make the fucking post in site feedback I've been asking for. This is your chance to get rid of this homo and then you can turn your staggering wit on someone more worthy.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Should this be played in German or English? The story writers were German but it looks like from the credits they put more effort in the English version. Not sure.
Is it possible to have different spoken audio and subtitles/UI?

C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\ELEX\data\ini

Open: ConfigDefault & ConfigDefaultNew.xml (not sure if both are actually needed but I did both)

Edit the line to desired VO:

<LanguageVoiceLanguage="English"

Save.

Just keep in mind, the localisations this time are not word-for-word like Gothic 1 & 2, so you may have characters moving on before you've finished reading the subs.
I haven't gotten the game yet, but I'll try it out and see how it works when I get a chance. Thanks a lot. I've just been playing with the idea of having the sound in German and text in English, to get into the habit of actually using and training my German.
blah blah blah I suck anonymous dick at gay night clubs
shut the fuck up homo

OOOUCH! YOU GOT ME BUT GOOOD!

Why don't you do something useful for once and make the fucking post in site feedback I've been asking for. This is your chance to get rid of this homo and then you can turn your staggering wit on someone more worthy.
No but seriously, shut the fuck up homo.

Raapys

Arcane
Has anyone found a
Crafting trainer who lets you train anything other than Hacking? Or do you need the Crafting ability from the Personality tree first? Anyone having the same problem?

WjXuuvs.jpg

Ah, never mind. I'm getting +5 dexterity from a ring, which apparently fools the UI but not the underlying mechanics, which sees I still just have 10 dexterity.
t8gmM

Last edited:

jaelkeiset

Educated
I've set AI to weak and passive and enjoy the exploration part of the game. I think it delivers except there's not many NPCs to interact with. I'm still in the Berserker area.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/119821-elex-reviews.html

Eurogamer Scoreless:

For more serious is the underwhelming and manufactured premise, a narrative progression that seems to follow, more or less, the same path as many of Piranha Bytes' previous games, and a combat system that seems focused on quantity rather than quality. If you can see past these issues, perhaps even embrace them as many people will, it becomes easier to appreciate the game's open world web of unscripted interactions and interconnected quests. Indeed, those that persevere will at times experience a world so rich with choice and consequence that it can sometimes make The Witcher 3 seem like a Fighting Fantasy gamebook.

One can't help but wonder what game might one day arise were Piranha Bytes ever given the development resources of Bethesda, because with less than a quarter of the numbers that worked full-time on making Fallout 4, Piranha Bytes have cobbled together an RPG that in some areas comes close to matching it. Yes, Elex is far, far scrappier overall, the lore is clumsy and unconvincing, and there's enough grit in the combat, presentation and parts of the narrative to have you running for the nearest GOTY Edition chart-topping RPG. But, if you give Elex the benefit of the doubt, it's many freedoms will start to win you over - to the point that on completion you may subsequently find yourself thumbing through this developer's undervalued back catalogue before cracking the seal on the Next Big Thing.

WCCFTech 6.4/10:

ELEX is pretty much the gaming incarnation of a mixed bag. While exploring the massive world of Magalan is an enjoyable experience and the lore easily pulls players in with lots of interesting quests, the mediocre combat, poor companions AI and severe balance issues prevent it from securing a spot in the ever more crowded RPG limelight.

Gamereactor 6/10:

There was an awful discord, however, with regards to Elex's music and visuals. Its open-world remains a visual marvel with tons of detail poured into the architecture of the faction strongholds and sprawling locals of the map. This clashed heavily with the weak voice acting and poor character animations though, which remained out of sync with the dialogue. The score was also worthy of merit, although on occasion it would creep up and get too loud during conversations, and it was near impossible to hear what was being said. These issues, along with a plethora of technical bugs, really worked to detract from the immersion that we longed for the open-world to create.

At times Elex may have had us firmly hooked with its blend of fantasy and sci-fi RPG elements, but its overall lack of polish with regards to presentation and combat ultimately holds it back from being a memorable experience. We can't fault its varied with regards to its open world, player choice, and its selection of weaponry, but its scope doesn't feel fully realised as it struggles to maintain a solid grasp of its fundamental elements.

COGconnected 65/100:

I gaze upon the vast tangle of interconnected systems bristling inside this game and I recognize that I am not the target audience. In spite of my boundless patience and unusual fascination with pointless minutiae, the measured pace of this game failed to grip me. I know that others will take great pleasure in the hours-long journey required to master this world and each of its factions. Certain kinds of players take immeasurable joy in solving a nested series of hidden puzzles before each and every step of real progress forward. The subtle branching and division in the conversation trees will tickle the fancies of many gamers. I can’t muster the same enthusiasm, however. I’ve been spoiled and fattened off the streamlined systems of western RPGs. I prefer clearly-laid paths or total freedom, with little love for what lies between the two. Elex demands a certain species of patience, a particular brand of mental acuity. I realized what sort of work was required to attain power and success within the confines of this game and I recoiled in horror. There was never any confusion as to what would allow me to succeed. It was always plain as day what I was doing wrong, and equally obvious what I had to do right. Yet I found no joy in the undertaking. Others may yet crack Elex open to feast on the succulent rewards inside. I will not be among them. If you’re looking for a sizable action RPG with a host of systems to master, Elex may be exactly what you need. Be warned, though: I went in with similar hopes and was left somehow wanting.

Entertainment Buddha 6.5/10:

The decisions you make affect your gameplay experience as well. NPC characters will remember decisions that you make and they will affect the outcome of different quests. Doing these side quests is what you will need to do to get enough experience and Elexit to gear yourself up for the main quests. Elex, in it’s core, has a solid RPG hiding out somewhere. Hiding behind all of it’s issues lies something with a lot of potential. I can respect what the team over at PB has done with this title. It seems as though it is going to ride the coattails of it’s more successful brothers in the genre though. I plan on dropping the difficulty down a tad and trying to trek through more of the game in my free time because I can appreciate the RPG that they are trying to convey here. I would definitely recommend trying this one out, or picking it up at a cheaper price. Needless to say, I am upset that Elex turned out the way it did, here’s to hoping PB will patch through some updates to fix somethings. This definitely caters to the more hardcore fans of this subset of role playing games.

GamingBolt 5/10:

It’s clear that there’s a core of an ambitious game in ELEX that wants to build a world to stand beside darlings like The Witcher and Skyrim, but technical issues and horrid writing hamper nearly every aspect of the game, well past the point of enjoyability. ELEX might have been truly special if only it saw the polish it desperately needed. Unfortunately, the grand world of Magalan and the diverse factions residing in it can be boiled down to one thing: Boring.

Windows Central 3/5:

Overall, Elex is a great game marred by technical issues on Xbox One. It needs more work on the console, but if you can look past the occasional problems, it's a rewarding role-playing game. Hopefully, the developers will issue an update soon which fixes the remaining grievances because the day one patch didn't do enough. It's a shame that despite having great content, it's hard to recommend because the problems are that noticeable. Piranha Bytes have a potentially great franchise here, but they need to make it work properly if they want a following.

PlayStationLifeStyle 5/10:

There are clear delineations on the map of which faction owns a certain region, and I loved the open nature of their various camps and settlements. You can just waltz in and begin to be assaulted by an armada if you aren’t already on friendly terms. The creatures that inhabit the land are useful allies if you can get them to focus on your enemies while flinging arrows their way from a safe distance. While most enemies are quick and annoying, some of the larger variants like robots and trolls are a blast to do battle against. And for jet-pack fans like me, ELEX has just about the most over-powered one I’ve ever seen that resulted in some hilarious platforming.

There’s a lot of fun to be had in ELEX at higher levels, but the game opens far too slowly and spreads itself out too thin to make any sort of impact. It’s a game that begs to be smaller in scope, and richer in depth. And while its animations and visuals are mostly uninspiring, there are some real moments of beauty that are found in its caves and crevasses if you choose to explore the land of Edan.

GameSpace 7/10:

All in all, if you’re a fan of open world exploration and complex combat, ELEX may be the game for you, though I would add the caveat that you may want to see how things improve over the coming months. There’s already a plan for a Day 1 patch (see below) that may take care of some of the game’s most glaring issues.

Part of me feels guilty for liking something that’s such a mess in many ways, but the bottom line is that ELEX is a game that grows on you. I just wish they’d spent another 6 to 9 months working on it. Still, given enough time and attention, it may become something truly special.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Has anyone found a
Crafting trainer who lets you train anything other than Hacking? Or do you need the Crafting ability from the Personality tree first? Anyone having the same problem?

WjXuuvs.jpg

Ah, never mind. I'm getting +5 dexterity from a ring, which apparently fools the UI but not the underlying mechanics, which sees I still just have 10 dexterity.
t8gmM

Berserker village has at least two trainers that train a bunch of stuff.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Has anyone found a

WTF? Alrik does not offer me almost anything for training he is offering you. He does lockpicking and pickpocketing but not chemistry or hacking.

Edit: yes, there are trainers for everything in Berserker village. Shop lady near the entry gate trains charisma shit. Alrik trained rogue shit for me and some crafting. The clan chief near Ragnar trains combat. Some guy near the houses near the blacksmith trains survival. I think the plant/gardening supervisor trains some shit too, but maybe not. I could be getting shit mixed up in my confusion of why your Alrik trains different shit.

Alrik is the guy who talks in a whisper and wants you to steal shit for him, like Ragnar's sword, right?

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Raapys

Arcane
That's weird... in my experience, all trainers have 'offered' the entire skill tree for training. And it should be visible even if stats aren't met.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
All the trainers offer all the skills to me (in their respective trees).

Are you remembering to SCROLL DOWN? This tripped me up.

If it's still not showing, are playing in English? There's your problem. Simply learn German and play the game in German. Only encountered one bug so far 16 hours in. Master race.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This game is a more clunky Risen 3 and the only noticeable difference are the hp and dmg spikes and changing the general feel of combat

If you can't see how this game is objectively (yes, objectively) much better than Risen 3, then you're either a cretin or blind.

It has much less handholding, there are no invisible walls, the gameworld is one solid instance instead of being chopped up into bullshit islands, and it's also much better crafted instead of being just a set of network-connected corridors. This is all visible almost instantly the moment you leave the tutorial observation station (i.e. in some 5-10 minutes).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got denied from joining the Beserkers. I didn't follow their laws close enough. I thought I could... maybe work around some of the laws to earn a bit of extra cash on the side, you know. Well, turns out that was a bad call.

:negative:

I love it :)

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Well I'm impressed and these are just my initial impressions.

I've only spent a few hours but made it to the first City with Duras and can't wait to play again.

I'm already very absorbed in this game like I haven't been very often for the last ten or fifteen years. So far, it's really awesome.

First, I'll nitpick, then give some tips that might help people new to this kind of game.

I can't stand the interface. We had a doll in Dungeon Master with an inventory. You could drag and drop. Fucking console menus are shit.

I don't like that you can't remap your keys (oh you can but a bunch are locked). So good luck getting ESDF working. You can remap your keys as long as it doesn't interfere with the locked ones so it's pointless. I could go on about that for a long time but I won't (we have a few threads for that here somewhere).

What I did, is just relex and let the ELEX flow. I feel better now. I am not quite yet 'at one' with the interface but I am no longer struggling. I have accepted it.

As to how to approach this type of game. Think of it as more of an adventure RPG. You can do what you want but it's not Quake 3, it's not whatever Fallout is now or whatever Ubisoft makes these days. You need some simple player skill and a lot of character skill. Pretend you're on an adventure that is using a 3D environment as the interface.

You're not in a rush, if take your time to learn the interface you too might be able to relex and enjoy your time in this world. A few pointers that were mostly already explained here before and you don't need math or anything, just a normal brain.

I took the difficutly one notch above 'Normal'. When you get to the first house, go climb up to the left and keep going left until you find the Turkey. Go die a million times. This is a good chance to learn the interface instead of raging against it (did I say I hate WASD?). Just do it.

Watch your circular green stamina in the upper left. Fuck animations, who cares? Watch that bar. At the lower left you will have a combo bar? I'm not sure of the terminology. As far as I can tell you only have three attack keys you have to worry about, your main (quick?) attack, your 'heavy' attack and your 'special' attack. Work it out on that giant chicken. Yeah, you need some timing but watch the bars.

I don't roll around much because it takes stamina but double-tap the direction you want to go or just bind the EVADE key (I haven't tried that yet). I just back off and try and time stuff. Hit with a combo when the blue bar is full or just run like hell.

Once you get that all sorted out you're ready to move on in the world, after grabbing the Adventure Amulet.

Sure things might seem wonky later on but that's because you're a pussy, so go explore and get some stuff. You have unlimited inventory so grab it all. I don't know what any of it does but if I find a better weapon, I use it. But take your time, there's no rush. You're in a brutal new world that nobody knows about, including us here. Take your time analyse the situation.

Once you find your first 'companion' let him do the dirty work. And ignore him and explore when you want to. He'll probably still be there when you get back, you'll get lots of loot that you don't know what do do with, possibly some weapons you can use and some you can't, because you're a wuss.

Don't forget to use the jet pack after you get it, I always do. You can climb all over the place here, so explore like crazy but the jet pack is great. Very simple to use and get the hang of but you can't really abuse it either. Abuse it when you can, I don't see why anyone wouldn't. There's lot's you can find. Don't forget to look up and down all the time. Climb and jet!

Take half an hour to sit there and slowly learn the interface, read the descriptions. I've seen questions posted asking about stuff that is clearly described in the inventory (as horrible and clunky as it is) but it's there. Soak it all in. You don't have to absorb it all in one sitting but at least take a look.

I didn't find this game difficult at all except for learning the interface, which is spelled out to you and should be easy for default WASD faggots. The combat isn't that hard once you learn what you're doing. Yes, I died to the turkey about twenty times, that's what F5 is for. Then I realized what the stuff on the screen meant and how it works with your keys.

My guess is to just start cranking STR/CON/DEX at first. In fact in almost all cRPG's I play a mage but in PB games I just go with the flow and hack my way through them, enjoying the adventure.

And that's what this is. To reiterate, it's more of and adventure/story/rpg with a 3D interface and some half decent action than a twitch, player-skill Q3 based system. It's a delicate balance what they attempt to do but it's working for me so far. I think if you give it time it might work for you.

Let the ELEX flow through your veins and ELEX will reward your patience with pleasure.

(I'm only at the first town so experiences my differ after prolonged use. Damage to various body organs could occur including mind damage, kidney failure, psychosis, loss of brain tissue, and various other calamities to body and soul. All legal disclamers apply)

Please use ELEX responsibly.

Raapys

Arcane
ELEX is what Gothic 3 wanted to be.

Only thing I've found somewhat lacking from the Gothic series is the atmosphere. Almost everything else seems to be either up to par or actually improved, so far.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Only thing I've found somewhat lacking from the Gothic series is the atmosphere. Almost everything else seems to be either up to par or actually improved, so far.
ELEX is what Fallout should have been. This game have more in common with Fallout than with any PB game until now.

Raapys

Arcane

ELEX is what Fallout should have been. This game have more in common with Fallout than with any PB game until now.
Fallout 1 is what Fallout should have been and is.

Played Elex.
The combat looks like ti is in pre-alpha.
Quite a few quests can be broken very easily; suddenly completing them out of nowhere.

But yeah, exploration environment and CnC gives Gothic 1/2 vibes.

Overall, i would wait for patches to fix the hitbox/animations before continuing.

PrettyDeadman

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finally knocked the shit out of Drog.

Now that was satisfying.

Speaking of this however, the fact that you still can't loot knocked out dudes is 100% derp.

There are several such Risen 2/3 leftovers in this game, and all of them are fucking dumb.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom