Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Parabalus

Arcane
Some minor spoiler Qs on early Berserker quests out of curiosity
-I questioned 5 dudes, Duras agreed we should look up 1 of them, he joined my party, there was some weird dialogue back and forth, now the quest is complete?
-The poisoned basement, come back later once I find equipment to deal with it or is it meant for immediate explore?

- the murdered guy messed with the seedling he was supposed to protect, and the seedling died, Duras seen that and the guy tried to murder Duras not to tell anybody, Duras killed him in self-defence and tried to make it look like it was someone outside of Berserkers' town. I had a choice to tell the leader but then they probably kill Duras so I just lied that it was someone else, not berserkers, and duras joined me cause gratitude.

You had different resolution probably because you took duras to see that 1 guy. I went alone because I suspected Duras will be meddling, and it turned out guy's innocent, then I talked to Duras.

EDIT: Oh, also I went to recover the hidden chest with the dead seedling (but he told me not to open the chest, but I did), then I talked Duras to admit that he killed the guy, then went to leader but I spared Duras and lied that it was some outsider.

Also one of the suspected guys told sth about "you should be more concerned about what happened with the seedling". He knew that it was Duras and was blackmailing him I think? Near the end Duras tried to put the blame on that young guy that wants to escape to Bandits, kinda low of him.

-there's a nice sword i nthe poison basement (but too good to use it for now, requires like 40/30?), I explored it poison-diving with 2 antidotes that lie nearby and a lot of health potions and energy drinks :) But couldn't get very deep, will return later

Cyberarmy - yeah I want Clericks probably but they are nowhere to be found so far, and I'm kinda already behind on skills. From the Berserkers the only guy that makes sense is the Corman (or whatever, the magic guy). Others are too orthodox for my liking. Also Duras is an asshole, but he's a good XP machine so whatever.

I managed to beeline to the "Doomed City", following the biggest road north from your "Small Camp". The teleporter there unlocks the Cleric HQ on the other side of the map where I talked to the recruitment guy and there is another companion who instantly joins you along the way, might be worth it to try.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sadly, quests are often broken, or everytime.
I mean, if you plooted something, you have this quest completed, with description what it all about out of thin air, that's literly the worst thing in game.

Melee combat on a sloped plane is by far the worst thing about this game.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Sadly, quests are often broken, or everytime.
I mean, if you plooted something, you have this quest completed, with description what it all about out of thin air, that's literly the worst thing in game.

Melee combat on a sloped plane is by far the worst thing about this game.

I can survive the melee

with a bow :troll:

but who can survive broken quests?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Have some questions...

1. Why do npc's share the same faces? It's like talking to an army of clones

2. Why is the dialogue read like it was written by a fucking idiot?

3. Why do the voice-overs sound like they are done by a bunch of fucking idiots?

4. Why do i go blind everytime i enter and exit an interior area?

5. Why does shooting a gun or an arrow feel like its an afterthought barely implemented into the game?

After spending 4 hours with it last night, it just looks like another Risen 2 or 3, with an even sillier setting, the character introduction makes no fucking sense, his motivations make even less, the story and writing is fucking terrible so far. The only thing it managed to do with any competency was the exploration.

Last edited:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Serious question: what makes this game better than Risen 2 and 3 or even 1?

Just two single sentences will suffice.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dialogs often don't make sense if you don't click everything in order, and don't use all dialog options that are available as soon as they are available. Like I met a guy but only traded with him. Then I found some letter or tape that says "such and such is dead". Then I went to the previous guy and had dialog option "I found the guy you wanted me to save - he's dead".

I had no idea I was supposed to search for him, I had no quest to do so, and I didn't read the letter when I found it, so I had no idea he was dead :). Still finished a quest :)

Yeah this is definetely a problem - more evidence for the jank file. Feels like unpatched NV

Elex

Arbiter
I really love that PB made all three playable factions so repellent—there’s something for everyone to hate about each of them. And the two with the most powerful abilities are both cults. Just like in real life, or any plausible fictional universe, obedience to authority (especially a corrupt or degenerate authority) comes with really tangible benefits.

They did a great job of subtly integrating moral compromise as almost a gameplay mechanic.
Really strange that Europeans love inclinelex while Burgers jack off to shit like D:OS2. Puts me to ponder.

Just inherent familiarity. Remember that NA was originally late to Gothic train and PB didn't really build such an extensive fanbase in comparison.

How was NA late to Gothic? How old are you? When Gothic was released in English in was all the rage on all the rpg sites. It was released in Germany and some other unimportant countries and then a little bit later in English. If you count three or four (no possible way five) countries in Europe as Europe you are insane. That's like considering the a game released in only Washington State, Oregon, and Idaho as being the NA release. Those states aren't important and no one from real states give a shit about them and they certainly aren't equivalent to NA.

Since you are most likely a young child you probably think the gaming industry at large matters. When it comes to actual good games, and more importantly actual good or popular rpgs, it isn't. Gothic was and is popular in rpg crowds, in the unimportant and important US states and and the same for Europe. I don't think Gothic 1 or 2 were good, but they were fucking popular. If you consider being late to the party buying the game when it is released in a civilized tongue then NA and most of Europe, including the important countries, were certainly late. But that is a retarded way of viewing it.

My mistake, actually - I was under the impression the first game took a year to get over to NA the same way Gothic 2 did.

No reason to get so riled up about it.
yes gothic 1 was late in NA almost a year maybe 9 months or something like that, and it was 2001-2002 people buy game in the shops in that year.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm most impressed by character models and faces - they actually look very nice, and better than anything Bethesda's ever put out.

I agree in principle, the base is very well done, but there's a real World of Clones things going on

All women seem to look the same. I guess they are keeping up with PB tradition there.

PB got it right, it would be a better world if all women would look the same.

Elex

Arbiter
Have some questions...

1. Why do npc's share the same faces? It's like talking to an army of clones

2. Why is the dialogue read like it was written by a fucking idiot?

3. Why do the voice-overs sound like they are done by a bunch of fucking idiots?

4. Why do i go blind everytime i enter and exist an interior area?

5. Why does shooting a gun or an arrow feel like its an afterthought barely implemented into the game?

After spending 4 hours with it last night, it just looks like another Risen 2 or 3, with an even sillier setting, the character introduction makes no fucking sense, his motivations make even less, the story and writing is fucking terrible so far. The only thing it managed to do with any competency was the exploration.
1- maybe they are all clones from a pre-apoc experiment.

2-3: they are all clones so they reproduce in a close gene pool.

4- commander jax is an Alb, the lack of elex damaged the eyes.

5-because coldness, you even get bonus to firearms with coldness, shooting people is something empty.

Jinn

Arcane
the character introduction makes no fucking sense, his motivations make even less

Jax is a commander of the Albs, or an "Elexitor." He was sent on a scouting mission in order to spy on the Berserkers, but his aircraft got shot down and his brother was there waiting to kill him for "failing his mission." In other words, he was betrayed by his brother so he could take his place. His motivation now is to survive as an outcast who is presumed dead, and probably find out why his brother fucked him over. Yeah, not particularly amazing, but not difficult to understand either.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Has anyone found the Charisma trainer in the Hort? I wanna track down that fucker but they don't seem to be anywhere

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm most impressed by character models and faces - they actually look very nice, and better than anything Bethesda's ever put out.

I agree in principle, the base is very well done, but there's a real World of Clones things going on

All women seem to look the same. I guess they are keeping up with PB tradition there.

PB got it right, it would be a better world if all women would look the same. like Monica Bellucci.
Fixed it for you.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
the character introduction makes no fucking sense, his motivations make even less

Jax is a commander of the Albs, or an "Elexitor." He was sent on a scouting mission in order to spy on the Berserkers, but his aircraft got shot down and his brother was there waiting to kill him for "failing his mission." In other words, he was betrayed by his brother so he could take his place. His motivation now is to survive as an outcast who is presumed dead, and probably find out why his brother fucked him over. Yeah, not particularly amazing, but not difficult to understand either.

I blocked out all that silliness because it sounded like some nerd making up names while taking a dump. "Jax" "elexitor" "Magalan" "Albs" "Elex"... maybe its the voice overs, but i just cant take any of that seriously.

Jinn

Arcane
I blocked out all that silliness because it sounded like some nerd making up names while taking a dump. "Jax" "elexitor" "Magalan" "Albs" "Elex"... maybe its the voice overs, but i just cant take any of that seriously.

Maybe switch to German voice acting. While the game really shouldn't be played for the story, I've actually enjoyed the Faction setup and backgrounds. Dialogue has made me unironically chuckle a number of times, but it's clear the writing suffered from some missteps in translation. Not too surprising, it being a long-standing problem for PB.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Serious question: what makes this game better than Risen 2 and 3 or even 1?

Just two single sentences will suffice.
Nothing.

This game is a more clunky Risen 3 and the only noticeable difference are the hp and dmg spikes and changing the general feel of combat from clicky h'n's to poor man's Souls which I assume is the main cause behind people calling it a new Gothic or whatever.

Risen 1 was a superior game in every way, at least in the initials acts.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Incline,it is soft!
SHIT.png

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I really love that PB made all three playable factions so repellent—there’s something for everyone to hate about each of them. And the two with the most powerful abilities are both cults. Just like in real life, or any plausible fictional universe, obedience to authority (especially a corrupt or degenerate authority) comes with really tangible benefits.

They did a great job of subtly integrating moral compromise as almost a gameplay mechanic.
Really strange that Europeans love inclinelex while Burgers jack off to shit like D:OS2. Puts me to ponder.

Just inherent familiarity. Remember that NA was originally late to Gothic train and PB didn't really build such an extensive fanbase in comparison.

How was NA late to Gothic? How old are you? When Gothic was released in English in was all the rage on all the rpg sites. It was released in Germany and some other unimportant countries and then a little bit later in English. If you count three or four (no possible way five) countries in Europe as Europe you are insane. That's like considering the a game released in only Washington State, Oregon, and Idaho as being the NA release. Those states aren't important and no one from real states give a shit about them and they certainly aren't equivalent to NA.

Since you are most likely a young child you probably think the gaming industry at large matters. When it comes to actual good games, and more importantly actual good or popular rpgs, it isn't. Gothic was and is popular in rpg crowds, in the unimportant and important US states and and the same for Europe. I don't think Gothic 1 or 2 were good, but they were fucking popular. If you consider being late to the party buying the game when it is released in a civilized tongue then NA and most of Europe, including the important countries, were certainly late. But that is a retarded way of viewing it.

My mistake, actually - I was under the impression the first game took a year to get over to NA the same way Gothic 2 did.

No reason to get so riled up about it.
yes gothic 1 was late in NA almost a year maybe 9 months or something like that, and it was 2001-2002 people buy game in the shops in that year.

What does it matter? The NA release was the world release. The German release was a small, insignificant release of a console game that couldn't get published on the console. Let me tell you, English speaking people who like rpgs all over the net went loopy for Gothic. And they did the same for Gothic 2. Probably 3 too but I stopped paying attention. Very few people had good taste and took my side saying it was rpg-lite shit. I was younger and less of a gentleman aficionado of fine rpgs so I kept playing it to see what all these internet folk were gushing about. It was shit controls, no chargen, a gay lead character who I enjoyed see dying and did not like at all, rpg-lite mechanics, crap combat, and crap everything.

How many of you kids were even born then?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I really wished it bother anyone else but me that these so called rpgs can't even bother including a superficial chardev so I can make my character look like something other than an emasculated fish with pasty white clerk skin and build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom