Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Elex

Arbiter
Review from a greek site in english, don't know if it's been posted:

http://ragequit.gr/reviews/item/elex-pc-review-english

It might look like a lost title from the year 2010, but for those that want a pure exploration experience, real role-play, even with some unpolished aspects by our advanced age's standards, this is the place to be. I for one couldn’t wait to get home from work to lose myself into Magalan. Just like when I was young, playing Morrowind.

83%
in current year, the era of "we sell again the same rpg from 2011 in 10 different version and on all platforms" review really use "it's a game from 20xx"?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Combat experience is more of a supplementary thing in this, much like the other PB games.

No dude, in previous PB games combat XP was a font of XP wealth, precisely bc there wasn't any respawn. It was so satisfying to see those juicy numbers pop up when you whacked some tougher monsters.

The effort-reward ratio is so goddamn crucial in any game and devs just keep not getting it, whether it's in itemization or monster XP or anything else.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was wandering around and found a town of a factionless faction who wanted me to be their leader and then I looked in the quest log and it was added to the main mission area and there are missions there to do and I still have not even started on any of the outlaw are aside from going there to check it out and talk to the leader, still all the missions there to do and I haven't even looked at the clerics place so at this point I still have no idea what faction to join..

rpg goty 2017

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I am running the game maxed out without any issues but, is it just me or the textures up-close (or medium zoom), completely shit?

When the opening cinematic started, I thought I accidentally set the textures to low. Even restarted the game and ALL armors, even surfaces, look like a blurry mess. It looks like a engine bug because some textures look alright, here and there.

I think it's only the intro for some bizarre reason - I had the exact same reaction as you did, but afterwards the game started looking fine. Or maybe I'm just not paying attention anymore in closeups.

Jinn

Arcane
No dude, in previous PB games combat XP was a font of XP wealth, precisely bc there wasn't any respawn. It was so satisfying to see those juicy numbers pop up when you whacked some tougher monsters.

The effort-reward ratio is so goddamn crucial in any game and devs just keep not getting it, whether it's in itemization or monster XP or anything else.

Of course I know that you got more exp in general from enemies in Gothic 1 and 2, and I clearly much prefer a non-respawning system. But the point I'm making is that even though this poor system is in place, they handled it better than I've seen it before. I've also noticed that as I get stronger and more able to handle myself in battle, I'm gaining more experience from just natural encounters while out exploring.

Last edited:

odrzut

Arcane
Some minor spoiler Qs on early Berserker quests out of curiosity
-I questioned 5 dudes, Duras agreed we should look up 1 of them, he joined my party, there was some weird dialogue back and forth, now the quest is complete?
-The poisoned basement, come back later once I find equipment to deal with it or is it meant for immediate explore?

- the murdered guy messed with the seedling he was supposed to protect, and the seedling died, Duras seen that and the guy tried to murder Duras not to tell anybody, Duras killed him in self-defence and tried to make it look like it was someone outside of Berserkers' town. I had a choice to tell the leader but then they probably kill Duras so I just lied that it was someone else, not berserkers, and duras joined me cause gratitude.

You had different resolution probably because you took duras to see that 1 guy. I went alone because I suspected Duras will be meddling, and it turned out guy's innocent, then I talked to Duras.

EDIT: Oh, also I went to recover the hidden chest with the dead seedling (but he told me not to open the chest, but I did), then I talked Duras to admit that he killed the guy, then went to leader but I spared Duras and lied that it was some outsider.

Also one of the suspected guys told sth about "you should be more concerned about what happened with the seedling". He knew that it was Duras and was blackmailing him I think? Near the end Duras tried to put the blame on that young guy that wants to escape to Bandits, kinda low of him.

-there's a nice sword i nthe poison basement (but too good to use it for now, requires like 40/30?), I explored it poison-diving with 2 antidotes that lie nearby and a lot of health potions and energy drinks :) But couldn't get very deep, will return later

Cyberarmy - yeah I want Clericks probably but they are nowhere to be found so far, and I'm kinda already behind on skills. From the Berserkers the only guy that makes sense is the Corman (or whatever, the magic guy). Others are too orthodox for my liking. Also Duras is an asshole, but he's a good XP machine so whatever.

Last edited:

Incantatar

Cipher
Should this be played in German or English? The story writers were German but it looks like from the credits they put more effort in the English version. Not sure.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Compare to USA (sorry - it uses different methodology, so stats aren't directly comparable, but the general picture is obvious - consoles rule with twice the market size of PC gaming).

https://newzoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Newzoo_US_Games_Market_2016.png

And you have your answer.

Anglosphere and Japan, and to some extent certain Euro countries with high incomes, are the only countries that buying a 400 dollar box to play 120 dollar games for 15 dollars a month to just connect to the internet has really caught on as a business model. It's really evident when it comes to the cheaper gaming options like CSGO how non-console centric the gaming market is, it's just the purchasing power of those other countries is not high at all for the AAA publishers because the price of console games cannot be regionalised.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wut, gaem doesn't let me join the Clerics. My dood keeps saying that he still isn't sure even though I fulfilled all the necessary requirements. Am I supposed to meet up with all the other faction leaders first or what?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Really strange that Europeans love inclinelex while Burgers jack off to shit like D:OS2. Puts me to ponder.

Just inherent familiarity. Remember that NA was originally late to Gothic train and PB didn't really build such an extensive fanbase in comparison.

How was NA late to Gothic? How old are you? When Gothic was released in English in was all the rage on all the rpg sites. It was released in Germany and some other unimportant countries and then a little bit later in English. If you count three or four (no possible way five) countries in Europe as Europe you are insane. That's like considering the a game released in only Washington State, Oregon, and Idaho as being the NA release. Those states aren't important and no one from real states give a shit about them and they certainly aren't equivalent to NA.

Since you are most likely a young child you probably think the gaming industry at large matters. When it comes to actual good games, and more importantly actual good or popular rpgs, it isn't. Gothic was and is popular in rpg crowds, in the unimportant and important US states and and the same for Europe. I don't think Gothic 1 or 2 were good, but they were fucking popular. If you consider being late to the party buying the game when it is released in a civilized tongue then NA and most of Europe, including the important countries, were certainly late. But that is a retarded way of viewing it.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Wut, gaem doesn't let me join the Clerics. My dood keeps saying that he still isn't sure even though I fulfilled all the necessary requirements. Am I supposed to meet up with all the other faction leaders first or what?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Should this be played in German or English? The story writers were German but it looks like from the credits they put more effort in the English version. Not sure.
Is it possible to have different spoken audio and subtitles/UI?

C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\ELEX\data\ini

Open: ConfigDefault & ConfigDefaultNew.xml (not sure if both are actually needed but I did both)

Edit the line to desired VO:

<LanguageVoiceLanguage="English"

Save.

Just keep in mind, the localisations this time are not word-for-word like Gothic 1 & 2, so you may have characters moving on before you've finished reading the subs.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I am running the game maxed out without any issues but, is it just me or the textures up-close (or medium zoom), completely shit?

When the opening cinematic started, I thought I accidentally set the textures to low. Even restarted the game and ALL armors, even surfaces, look like a blurry mess. It looks like a engine bug because some textures look alright, here and there.

I think it's only the intro for some bizarre reason - I had the exact same reaction as you did, but afterwards the game started looking fine. Or maybe I'm just not paying attention anymore in closeups.
No, I have read that someone set vegetation on High but trees didn't changed ti it, and remained the same squared trees, look at trees - if theey are squqred-like, and options is High, it is same bug.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Really strange that Europeans love inclinelex while Burgers jack off to shit like D:OS2. Puts me to ponder.

Just inherent familiarity. Remember that NA was originally late to Gothic train and PB didn't really build such an extensive fanbase in comparison.

How was NA late to Gothic? How old are you? When Gothic was released in English in was all the rage on all the rpg sites. It was released in Germany and some other unimportant countries and then a little bit later in English. If you count three or four (no possible way five) countries in Europe as Europe you are insane. That's like considering the a game released in only Washington State, Oregon, and Idaho as being the NA release. Those states aren't important and no one from real states give a shit about them and they certainly aren't equivalent to NA.

Since you are most likely a young child you probably think the gaming industry at large matters. When it comes to actual good games, and more importantly actual good or popular rpgs, it isn't. Gothic was and is popular in rpg crowds, in the unimportant and important US states and and the same for Europe. I don't think Gothic 1 or 2 were good, but they were fucking popular. If you consider being late to the party buying the game when it is released in a civilized tongue then NA and most of Europe, including the important countries, were certainly late. But that is a retarded way of viewing it.

My mistake, actually - I was under the impression the first game took a year to get over to NA the same way Gothic 2 did.

No reason to get so riled up about it.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

My mistake, actually - I was under the impression the first game took a year to get over to NA the same way Gothic 2 did.

No reason to get so riled up about it.

Sorry, you damn kids just annoy the shit out of me. I apologize for being riled and short. Will you please go to the site feedback forum and make the new thread with the poll I have been asking for? I just don't understand what the problem is? Its simple request and everyone who runs their fucking retarded mouth a million miles an hour are now somehow post shy. Its fucking crazy.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
YES! reminds me of this character from Bloodborne. (Yeah, I'm a Soulsborne fag in addition to cRPGs)
The character was a social commentary by the lead designer about "the internet as a whole".

Just a little clip for ya

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Sadly, quests are often broken, or everytime.
I mean, if you plooted something, you have this quest completed, with description what it all about out of thin air, that's literly the worst thing in game.

Jinn

Arcane
Sadly, quests are often broken, or everytime.
I mean, if you plooted something, you have this quest completed, with description what it all about out of thin air, that's literly the worst thing in game.

A couple of you have brought this up, but I don't believe I've experienced this myself. Very strange. I'll keep my eye out for it more closely, but it seems there is always some kind of resolution to a quest through dialogue and experience/quest notificationss.

odrzut

Arcane
Dialogs often don't make sense if you don't click everything in order, and don't use all dialog options that are available as soon as they are available. Like I met a guy but only traded with him. Then I found some letter or tape that says "such and such is dead". Then I went to the previous guy and had dialog option "I found the guy you wanted me to save - he's dead".

I had no idea I was supposed to search for him, I had no quest to do so, and I didn't read the letter when I found it, so I had no idea he was dead :). Still finished a quest :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom