Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

COGMIND - Turn-Based Sci-Fi Roguelike - now available on Early Access

Iznaliu

Arbiter
It's good.
6C6D10EF39FB37EE950A819B6AA1CF0CF347CEB9

It's good to have someone actually taking about the game.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Things we learned in this thread: Wizardry 1-5 are games without content.

You just learned that today?

YES! suffers from the same retardation as all those noobs who ask where's the roleplaying in Wizardry and then start talking about larping and shit, same as Sawyer saying that he wouldn't consider Wizardry an RPG if it were published today, it shortchanges the roots of the genre in favor of elements that only came in play much later, fun elements to be sure (everyone loves Fallout) but they aren't essential to a large number of games and labeling them as the only content shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the CRPG genre

tl;tr YES! is a moron

So, if a game has traditional rpg content and no rpg mechanics is it still an rpg? The roots of crpg are pen&paper rpgs. Because of the lack of ability to make other content than more dungeon in the early days of crpgs we got what we got. Then we got more and more. Just because I played and liked games that had very lite and shitty rpg mechanics and no content when there were no alternatives it doesn't mean I need not expect better when there are. The same goes for rpg mechanics. I can't play most of the child filth that comes out because it is just rpg-lite shit for retards. It doesn't matter if most of these games have far more robust mechanics than early rpgs. I can and do expect good, or at least tolerable for adults.

Just because you have an issue with understanding what things are doesn't mean you are smart or right. You aren't and aren't, I assure you.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's like looking into the face of incoherence mated with the living embodiment of dunning kruger

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
It's a Roguelike. Says so right in the title.
As a Roguelike it is absolutely great.

I agree it is a roguelike. What are roquelikes with traditional rpg content called?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

I agree it is a roguelike. What are roquelikes with traditional rpg content called?
Roguelike is traditional rpg. So it's by definityion have traditional rpg content even if it's purely about dungeon crawling.

No, they don't have traditional rpg content. They have the mechanics. Remove the mechanics and you have nothing. Same with dungeon crawlers. Jrpgs have some of the mechanics made to be understood by three olds and shitty content. Console action games with rpg elements have the content but are even more lacking in mechanics and even more childlike than jrpgs.

At least Aweigh was swart enough to understand this basic shit, but he sides with you guys and hates content and thinks it ruins games. I hope he is alright. I haven't seen him preaching about the evils of content lately. Its too bad Puerto Rico didn't have a better disaster plan than have everyone flee to the US.

PrettyDeadman

Roguelike is traditional rpg. So it's by definityion have traditional rpg content even if it's purely about dungeon crawling.

No, they don't have traditional rpg content. They have the mechanics. Remove the mechanics and you have nothing. Same with dungeon crawlers. Jrpgs have some of the mechanics made to be understood by three olds and shitty content. Console action games with rpg elements have the content but are even more lacking in mechanics and even more childlike than jrpgs.

At least Aweigh was swart enough to understand this basic shit, but he sides with you guys and hates content and thinks it ruins games. I hope he is alright. I haven't seen him preaching about the evils of content lately. Its too bad Puerto Rico didn't have a better disaster plan than have everyone flee to the US.
But they do have traditional rpg content - character system, dungeons, enemies, items and etc.
All of this is core rpg content. Some developer experimented with splicing rpg with adventure games and as a result we got rpgs with more focus on npc interactions and storytelling - but it is not traditional rpg content.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Roqua took the wrong turn to the Adventure Codex forum and ended up here. It's hard for him to quite get what RPGs are, so all that he's left with are empty buzzwords like content and stuff. We should direct him to the proper forum or prosperland

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

But they do have traditional rpg content - character system, dungeons, enemies, items and etc.
All of this is core rpg content. Some developer experimented with splicing rpg with adventure games and as a result we got rpgs with more focus on npc interactions and storytelling - but it is not traditional rpg content.

So, an rpg does not need to have any rp? If the game ahs no interaction it isn't an rpg. Its a game that used rpg mechanics.

You are using the same argument people who claim games with no rpg mechanics as being rpgs. An rpg is an rpg. Period. Rpgs have content that takes thought and time to make. This content isn't the mechanics because almost every half baked p&p system thrown together in half a day usually have far more meaty mechanics then in most of the games you love.

I don't care if the content sucks, or is lite, or shitty. I don't care of the story is well written. I don't care. But if all a game has to offer is combat and more combat it isn't an rpg. It doesn't matter if the combat is great. It doesn't matter if the rpg mechanics are great. If there is no chance for interaction in the most basic sense, like shops and shit, it isn't an rpg. The same goes with Zelda and Metal Gear and and the million other games that show up in steam as rpgs that have no rpg mechanics. No amount of wishing or hoping or longing will ever change that.

Roqua took the wrong turn to the Adventure Codex forum and ended up here. It's hard for him to quite get what RPGs are, so all that he's left with are empty buzzwords like content and stuff. We should direct him to the proper forum or prosperland

Why don't you, being the super smart genius you are, take the opportunity to solve this hideous problem and make the thread I've been asking for? Here are the details - http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-roqua-yes-to-elex.118745/page-2#post-5341454

The last handful of posts. Do us all a favor and lets get this shit started.

PrettyDeadman

So, an rpg does not need to have any rp? If the game ahs no interaction it isn't an rpg. Its a game that used rpg mechanics.
Most computer games have roleplay elements since you usually play as some kind of character in an environment different than your own.
In cogmind you play as a robot in some kind of military/science base/storehouse.
Non of computer games have roleplaying in pen&paper context since it's impossible to give player neccesary tools to play a role. The player will never have enough agency to play a role, only chose from a predetermined paths of narative content created by someone else. He will always be consumer of content and not have any creative input in what he does.

This content isn't the mechanics because almost every half baked p&p system thrown together in half a day usually have far more meaty mechanics then in most of the games you love.

RPG is defined by it's mechanics, not its content. If you take away rpg mechanics from rpg and replace it with something else - it will stop being rpg even if all the content remains the same. It will become a shooter - if you replace rpg mechanics with shooter mechanics or adventure or visual novel...

Last edited by a moderator:

Palikka

Arcane
Grauken
Most of the time I start with treads, fighting my way through first couple levels. I dont bother with stealth until I can find some better flight units and some scanners.
I try to find couple large storage units, carrying as much spare parts as possible. The spare parts are an absolute must in this game, you WILL lose your stuff. Extra propulsion/engines/weapons/protection.

Also positioning. Dont fight in the open. Retreat back to a corridor/behind a door. Most enemies wont shoot through each other so the first guy who comes in starts shooting at you and blocks the rest of the guys from getting to you.

If you have extra propulsion slots, equip some legs/treads on them. Disable them and you can carry them without penalties and they will act as an armor for you.
Also if you disable all your propulsion you will hover with your core. You will have only 3 support but you will be much faster that way.

The maps have two kinds of exits, the main exit and the branch. The main one will take you through the game and the branch to awesome places you dont wanna be unless you are prepared for them. You can identify an exit with a signal interpreter, which can be found from scouts.

Stealth is a lot of fun in this game, you just have to know what you are doing. Detection is the key.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Most computer games have roleplay elements since you usually play as some kind of character in an environment different than your own.
In cogmind you play as a robot in some kind of military/science base/storehouse.
Non of computer games have roleplaying in pen&paper context since it's impossible to give player neccesary tools to play a role. The player will never have enough agency to play a role, only chose from a predetermined paths of narative content created by someone else. He will always be consumer of content and not have any creative input in what he does.

This content isn't the mechanics because almost every half baked p&p system thrown together in half a day usually have far more meaty mechanics then in most of the games you love.

RPG is defined by it's mechanics, not its content. If you take away rpg mechanics from rpg and replace it with something else - it will stop being rpg even if all the content remains the same. It will become a shooter - if you replace rpg mechanics with shooter mechanics or adventure or visual novel...

Holy shit. I rest my case.

Please just make that post for me in the site feedback place please.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm having fun just reading the manual and looking at the massive slab of game options.

Man, this is a beautiful game.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Do you have some good tips to survive the early game. I try to play sneaky, but sooner or later I get into combat and get massacred

- Stop using terminals BEFORE you're fully traced and locked out. Once that happens, an enemy squad is dispatched to your location.

- Equip gear with high cover value so they'll act as ablative shielding. Having four legs or tracks (though those are slower, which is its own disadvantage) provides good cover for your core.

- If you're quick, running the fuck away IS an option against most enemies.

- If you must fight, position yourself so they have to come through the door one by one.

- It's better to catch a few shots while you're moving for cover or a bottleneck than to stop and exchange fire with several enemies. Especially since moving also makes you harder to hit.

- Early on, loot dropped by enemy is usually worse than what you can find lying around. It's a bad idea to fight and get damaged just for inferior gear.

- It's perfectly fine NOT to explore the level before moving on.

Palikka

Arcane
- Early on, loot dropped by enemy is usually worse than what you can find lying around. It's a bad idea to fight and get damaged just for inferior gear.
Taking out haulers on the other hand can net you very good stuff early on.

- It's perfectly fine NOT to explore the level before moving on.
One of the most important decisions one makes in this game. For those who havent played this yet; unlike majority of roguelikes, once you go up to the next level you can never backtrack to the previous level. Staying on the level might get you better eq to survive the next one but you might also find absolutely nothing and then get shot up by a random patrol. Considering the speed you lose your items in the game makes this extremely important. The levels are also massive in size so you will most propably never explore them fully anyways.
Moving to the next main level will reset the alert level, heal up your core damage, remove all corruption and add two equipment slots.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
For those who havent played this yet; unlike majority of roguelikes, once you go up to the next level you can never backtrack to the previous level.

This is actually the same as Rogue (once you got the Amulet of Yendor, you had to go up)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom