Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
What I learned about target lock is it slows your movement down.
With it the only reliable way to dodge is roll.
Without it you can just step aside.
So I don't know should I use it, I can't reliable do combo - at least against turkey, they interrupt often.

I went for the somewhat predictable charisma-based Int build
That's what I want to do too.

All those "more experience for the foes killed/ quests done / books read" turns out to be 5%. Which means that it probably doesn't even pay for itself (and for the tempo you lose on reaching that 50 int fast). Likewise, Attribute is shit because it gives very, very mediocre payoffs for literally castrating you in the early game.
Yeah, I think the only thing that is worth to take is Health Something that gives you more HP on per level - you can take in on lvl 3 if Goliet hav Survival Traner (I don't know, only got there).

Jinn

Arcane
I don't know about ELEX specifically, but in Piranha Bytes games gear usually matters a lot. Getting even a single new piece of armor or a new weapon or upgrading your fighting skills at the various Trainers, which was always the most important thing about improving in combat skills can change the dynamic of the game dramatically and the changes are very noticeable.

Factions still have their hierarchical armor sets, which is awesome. There definitely is more equipment in ELEX, but it is still really noticeable and a huge improvement when you gather enough Elexit to make that upgrade you have been planning on. Or when you find some amazing loot while getting sidetracked on a quest and start aimlessly exploring some beautiful environment. Loot and equipment has been handled extremely well from what I've seen so far.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
What I learned about target lock is it slows your movement down.
With it the only reliable way to dodge is roll.
Without it you can just step aside.
So I don't know should I use it, I can't reliable do combo - at least against turkey, they interrupt often.

I went for the somewhat predictable charisma-based Int build
That's what I want to do too.

All those "more experience for the foes killed/ quests done / books read" turns out to be 5%. Which means that it probably doesn't even pay for itself (and for the tempo you lose on reaching that 50 int fast). Likewise, Attribute is shit because it gives very, very mediocre payoffs for literally castrating you in the early game.
Yeah, I think the only thing that is worth to take is Health Something that gives you more HP on per level - you can take in on lvl 3 if Goliet hav Survival Traner (I don't know, only got there).

I don't use target, it messes everything up for me. And that crazy slow down only seems to happen with target enabled too.

I disagree significantly on attributes, since taking that is the only way to equip better weapons or even train better things

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, lol.
Beware! To bathe in this pond is forbidden!

YIfj.jpg

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also - I heard that perks that increase damage for some weapon works like that - just add +1 or something on every level, so the sooner you'll take it the better.
Can someone confirm it?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also - I heard that perks that increase damage for some weapon works like that - just add +1 or something on every level, so the sooner you'll take it the better.
Can someone confirm it?

It’s not per level. One rank in melee combat, for example, increases melee damage by 10%. But that is very misleading and after you account for armor it’s much stronger.

Pretty sure this is how it works. Melee combat skill increases your base damage by 10%, then you subtract the enemy’s damage resistance and get the actual net damage number that actually hits them (like revenue versus profit). So if your weapon deals 30 damage and your enemy has 25 points of DR, taking that melee combat skill—the ten percent boost—increases your base damage to 33. But the actual damage that 25 DR enemy takes goes from 5 to 8, which is a 60% increase. I would take these combat skills early and often.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Can someone confirm it?

It’s not per level. One rank in melee combat, for example, increases melee damage by 10%. But that is very misleading and after you account for armor it’s much stronger.

Pretty sure this is how it works. Melee combat skill increases your base damage by 10%, then you subtract the enemy’s damage resistance and get the actual net damage number that actually hits them (like revenue versus profit). So if your weapon deals 30 damage and your enemy has 25 points of DR, taking that melee combat skill—the ten percent boost—increases your base damage to 33. But the actual damage that 25 DR enemy takes goes from 5 to 8, which is a 60% increase. I would take these combat skills early and often.

Or, taking abilities you could get a weapon that goes from 30 points of damage to 60, or a two hander that does 75. 60-25= 35. 35-25=10. 5 to 10 is a 100% increase. 75-25=50. 50-25=25. 5 to 25 is a 400% increase.

Plus, as soon as you can equip better armor with stats, the faster your parry becomes nice. Chest armor seems to be the core source of parry.

In my opinion, attributes are superior as a primary in early levels with equipment making everything better. Only take combat abilities after you take the attribute ability, and get the second one asap too. That gives you some charisma points, some combat points, and probably some survival points too because of the stats diminishing returns at tiers.

Some of the higher tiers of everything have very steep attribute costs so you'll have plenty of game time to play catch-up on whatever once it starts costing 5 attribute points for a one point attribute increase.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm Level 6, I can't afford anything or kill anything, and I wandered up to the dome city doing scavenger / quest XP hunter life. Uh, is there a fucking teleporter around here or do I need to get inside the city for it?

jungl

Augur
lol its pointless playing hard mode in these piranah byes games. You have a good feel for the clunky combat? congrats you mastered the game kiddo. Having the combat set to where you get 2 shotted while like you have hit the enemy 15 times is stupid.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
lol its pointless playing hard mode in these piranah byes games. You have a good feel for the clunky combat? congrats you mastered the game kiddo. Having the combat set to where you get 2 shotted while like you have hit the enemy 15 times is stupid.

So unlike the super mega hipster hits Dark Souls and Darkest Dungeons, this game is not difficult in a good way? Its just plain old difficult? And that's bad?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
So unlike the super mega hipster hits Dark Souls and Darkest Dungeons, this game is not difficult in a good way? Its just plain old difficult? And that's bad?
Dark Souls is hard, but fair - so it is satisfying when you succeed, because the computer is playing against you using the same rules. But here, the combat is unpolished, and not in the player's favor - e.g: your character's hit box is inconsistent at times, and it's hard to determine any pattern of why it does this - so you can't even try and adapt your playstyle to the bug(?). Also I've noticed with ranged, enemies have no trouble hitting you (crits inc) through walls - very frustrating.

It's disappointing, because I do think at a base level, the structure here is better than most of PB's prior attempts. Hope they get some time to tune things up - because I am really enjoying the game as a whole.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm Level 6, I can't afford anything or kill anything, and I wandered up to the dome city doing scavenger / quest XP hunter life. Uh, is there a fucking teleporter around here or do I need to get inside the city for it?
If by dome city you mean the one with the clerics,then yes. It is in a bush before the bridge/walkway leading to the guard. Most teleporters are in bushes in the green aria.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Eh, started the first character and, in the end, totally screwed him. In the end, all that visibility of the skill chekcs is just that - visibility. The core of the game is absolutely combat based and even more so, since the game is all about breaking through enemy damage reduction. It's all about building up your STR or DEX, depending on whether you go melee or ranged. Nothing but that.

I went for the somewhat predictable charisma-based Int build and boy, does it suck sweaty balls. First, the payoffs are pathetic. All those "more experience for the foes killed/ quests done / books read" turns out to be 5%. Which means that it probably doesn't even pay for itself (and for the tempo you lose on reaching that 50 int fast). Likewise, Attribute is shit because it gives very, very mediocre payoffs for literally castrating you in the early game. You just won't be able to win any combats (outside of relying on cheesing it with your companion), meaning that you'll be wasting a helluva lot of a time (which you can invest into grinding in quite the same fashion). I'm talking about Ultra difficulty, of course.

And barely any quests have satisfying charisma resolutions. You know, the ones in which you actually do something (instead of earning, like, +25 experience and saving some pocket change). There's also too many alternate solution so you're never really missing out anything.

To put it simply - charisma here is worse than in Fallout 1. Don't spoil your build - invest in combat. Combat is teh king.
Yeah, I did the same thing and my dude sucks balls. Maybe it'll start paying off by the time we hit level 40.

In addition, you can socket gems into your equipment that allow you to gain additional experience for quests and monsters. These extra experience skills really aren't worth it in light of the gem sockets.

I did find an Amulet of the Prospector, which gives an additional 5% experience per quest, at the world heart south of the domed city. This actually is worth it, I've gotten a lot of additional experience from this. I think there was a berserker there named Thorgil or something.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
done a bunch of quests in the berzerker area and have two companions, duras and falk... still have a few quests in that barbar city but I'm not strong enough for them yet.. haven't done any main missions except the contact one.. not sure what to do now, go after other factions? I should probably get a talent or two from the bersekers before I do that... I was playing and got kidnapped by clerics but had to leave the house so I just quit, no idea what's up with that lol

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Eh, started the first character and, in the end, totally screwed him. In the end, all that visibility of the skill chekcs is just that - visibility. The core of the game is absolutely combat based and even more so, since the game is all about breaking through enemy damage reduction. It's all about building up your STR or DEX, depending on whether you go melee or ranged. Nothing but that.

I went for the somewhat predictable charisma-based Int build and boy, does it suck sweaty balls. First, the payoffs are pathetic. All those "more experience for the foes killed/ quests done / books read" turns out to be 5%. Which means that it probably doesn't even pay for itself (and for the tempo you lose on reaching that 50 int fast). Likewise, Attribute is shit because it gives very, very mediocre payoffs for literally castrating you in the early game. You just won't be able to win any combats (outside of relying on cheesing it with your companion), meaning that you'll be wasting a helluva lot of a time (which you can invest into grinding in quite the same fashion). I'm talking about Ultra difficulty, of course.

And barely any quests have satisfying charisma resolutions. You know, the ones in which you actually do something (instead of earning, like, +25 experience and saving some pocket change). There's also too many alternate solution so you're never really missing out anything.

To put it simply - charisma here is worse than in Fallout 1. Don't spoil your build - invest in combat. Combat is teh king.
Yeah, I did the same thing and my dude sucks balls. Maybe it'll start paying off by the time we hit level 40.

In addition, you can socket gems into your equipment that allow you to gain additional experience for quests and monsters. These extra experience skills really aren't worth it in light of the gem sockets.

I did find an Amulet of the Prospector, which gives an additional 5% experience per quest, at the world heart south of the domed city. This actually is worth it, I've gotten a lot of additional experience from this. I think there was a berserker there named Thorgil or something.
By the looks of it ,i doubt that we will hit level 40. I am killing animals for the past hour and my exp bar had barely moved and i am level 11. The levelling is one of the worst i have seen in a rpg. It feels like mmo,endless grind. Also insult to injury is the fact that companions kills don't have the exp bonus.By the way where is that amulet that gives you exp and do you need skills to socket gems?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

By the looks of it ,i doubt that we will hit level 40. I am killing animals for the past hour and my exp bar had barely moved and i am level 11. The levelling is one of the worst i have seen in a rpg. It feels like mmo,endless grind. Also insult to injury is the fact that companions kills don't have the exp bonus.By the way where is that amulet that gives you exp and do you need skills to socket gems?

I hate to say this, but you’re playing it wrong. Go to new locations and get more quests—much more efficient way to get EXP than combat.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I hate to say this, but you’re playing it wrong. Go to new locations and get more quests—much more efficient way to get EXP than combat.
Yeah i know mate,that is what i am doing. I was just exploring in search for quests in the wild,sadly there isn't any. Also i found a useless legendary weapon.
bow1.png

To put in perspective,you need a 13 levels of points to be able to use that shit. I need at least 10 more levels. The balance in the game is shit. If the levelling was fast like in other PB games then i wouldn't have had a problem. Still the game is better than Fallout 4.

Jinn

Arcane
To put in perspective,you need a 13 levels of points to be able to use that shit. I need at least 10 more levels. The balance in the game is shit. If the levelling was fast like in other PB games then i wouldn't have had a problem. Still the game is better than Fallout 4.

This is called good itemization. Part of the fun is knowing you have weapon waiting for you, and you can find other good weapons along the way to using it. It adds another layer to character progression.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't have any problems with combat system... sure it's a bit "janky" but I'm dodging animals to the left and right. Actually it has never been this easy since they very clearly show their attack movement in this game.

I do wish they would use the Risen 1 system instead of 3.

PrettyDeadman

OK, I've decided to restart the game. Pump all stats into int and get +1 attribute per level up at 3rd level. Pump all communication/thievery skills.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
OK, I've decided to restart the game. Pump all stats into int and get +1 attribute per level up at 3rd level. Pump all communication/thievery skills.

Sadly, the thievery skills haven't really given me anything worth it in all the berserker city so I went back and skipped them. I don't know if chests and pickpocketing yield better/more unique stuff later, but all the good shit I've gotten I got with just plain old stealing and not pickpocketing or a chest. Chest shit seems pretty blase from all the ones I've opened. Maybe hacking is a better investment?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

This is called good itemization. Part of the fun is knowing you have weapon waiting for you, and you can find other good weapons along the way to using it. It adds another layer to character progression.
I whole heartedly agree with you mate. The problem is that there is not much of a weapons in between. I still use the first weapons because most weapons need a lot of points in them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom