Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Is the definition of Janky - "I suck real bad."?
It actually is pretty janky if you play on Ultra and fight hard monsters. A lot of running around due to doing zero damage & dying in 2 hits make you really feel it.

Why are you playing on Ultra then? Wouldn't it make more sense to play the game at the default settings the combat was designed for and around to judge it?

On a side note I really enjoy that I am proven more and more correct on my theories and summations on game difficulty and player response based on the hipster level of the game. Since this game doesn't have the hipster stamp of approval the combat sucks.

Is this hipster enough for you,you dumb piece of shit?

PrettyDeadman

Why are you playing on Ultra then? Wouldn't it make more sense to play the game at the default settings the combat was designed for and around to judge it?
Hardest difficulty if the best way to test combat and other game mechanics. Playing it on easier difficulty would make combat more serviceable (aka easier), but it won't make it better.
If the game is not designed to played on harder difficulties they probably shouldn't have included them.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I met Bigby. He told me to not mess with him or he'd fuck my shit up. I didn't believe him. I threw two grenades at him and I felt proud about it. I turned around and walked away happily, only for Bigby to come out of the smoke and fuck my shit up. I now believe him. I'll see you in another 25 hours, sir.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Hardest difficulty if the best way to test combat and other game mechanics. Playing it on easier difficulty would make combat more serviceable (aka easier), but it won't make it better.
If the game is not designed to played on harder difficulties they probably shouldn't have included them.

That would be true if the game was designed and balanced around that difficulty. How can you justify a game not playing best at the settings it was designed and balanced around?

PrettyDeadman

That would be true if the game was designed and balanced around that difficulty. How can you justify a game not playing best at the settings it was designed and balanced around?
It is true regardless.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

It is true regardless.

So, in your opinion, the combat is great and you only suck when playing the game at the highest difficulty and fighting the toughest monsters. Good to know.

Also, this is why difficulty levels should be removed or have significant mechanical differences. How can anything be critiqued by a group if the group does not share the same experience?

Please tell me, why should I, the normal person who wants to play the game at the settings it was specifically and purposefully designed for and balanced around play at a highest difficulty? The game was made for a specific demographic, and the default levels have a decent challenge unlike most console games made for idiots. Do I get more experience on Ultra? Better loot? What tangible benefit is there for me?

Raapys

Arcane
Gods how I've missed a game world where you can go around exploring, cheese, brute force or avoid some really tough fights way out of your level, then be rewarded by finding what's probably one of the finest weapons in the game.

That simply doesn't happen anymore in any RPGs, including Larian's, Obsidian's, and all AAA devs. Feels great.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gods how I've missed a game world where you can go around exploring, cheese, brute force or avoid some really tough fights way out of your level, then be rewarded by finding what's probably one of the finest weapons in the game.

And proceed to faceroll the next 60% of the content? Yeah, must be awesome. Almost as awesome as to type "God mode" in the debug console.

People are weird.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Eh, started the first character and, in the end, totally screwed him. In the end, all that visibility of the skill chekcs is just that - visibility. The core of the game is absolutely combat based and even more so, since the game is all about breaking through enemy damage reduction. It's all about building up your STR or DEX, depending on whether you go melee or ranged. Nothing but that.

I went for the somewhat predictable charisma-based Int build and boy, does it suck sweaty balls. First, the payoffs are pathetic. All those "more experience for the foes killed/ quests done / books read" turns out to be 5%. Which means that it probably doesn't even pay for itself (and for the tempo you lose on reaching that 50 int fast). Likewise, Attribute is shit because it gives very, very mediocre payoffs for literally castrating you in the early game. You just won't be able to win any combats (outside of relying on cheesing it with your companion), meaning that you'll be wasting a helluva lot of a time (which you can invest into grinding in quite the same fashion). I'm talking about Ultra difficulty, of course.

And barely any quests have satisfying charisma resolutions. You know, the ones in which you actually do something (instead of earning, like, +25 experience and saving some pocket change). There's also too many alternate solution so you're never really missing out anything.

To put it simply - charisma here is worse than in Fallout 1. Don't spoil your build - invest in combat. Combat is teh king.

Elex

Arbiter
Muh factions, muh consequences, so i've joined a faction and i still can enter other faction cities unmolested. Duras didn't left my company after i've joined clerics...
this is a classic, not diego and not gorn will always be your friends.

mwnn85

Savant

Really poor quality. 5 minutes of testing should've flagged that straight away.

You'd think they'd have learned after the mess that was Gothic 3. (sort of got fixed with the community patches but it still felt vastly inferior)

In an ARPG which predominantly features combat - it's just got to be perfect - no excuses. Especially when we've got alternatives like Dark Souls, Mount & Blade, etc.

There's literally nothing wrong with the combat dance/system from Gothic/NOTR/Risen 1.

Still it looks like Piranha Bytes are almost back on track; it looks that there's some quality/artistry mixed in there.

I never even heard of this until yesterday. I thought they were forever lost making shovelware like Risen 3: Titan Lords.

harhar!

Augur
I'm playing on Ultra right now and feel just slightly retarded having to watch Duras kill some trash mobs while I stand in the corner jacking off. Do STR and DEX strongly affect damage on lower difficulties or is it more about the weapons? It feels like it's doing nothing at all. Also the Berserkers only have one other bow than the worst one to sell, which is odd.

Parabalus

Arcane
Started game, first chicken promptly killed me . :bounce:

Following Duras at the start, tried the ol' Lares trick and pulled some "Reavers" into him, he gets promptly turned into mincemeat - guess no essential NPCs here :incline:.

Really liking it so far. The jetpack is great and there is a ton of stuff hidden on ledges.

Kahr

The quest with Rat, the beggar in the Outlaw Fort is nice.
Has something of Militiades.

Jinn

Arcane
So, I've observed how respawning enemies works a little more. It seems to be tied not only to game time passing, but proximity of the player as well.

For example, if you kill an enemy that is near a bed, then sleep, a new monster will not have respawned. But if you go far away from that point, sleep, then return, you will find a monster in that place again. Also not sure how it works with human enemies, as I haven't actually killed any yet.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be a big problem in this game. First time I've seen respawning in a game that didn't really bother me. Still a negative feature though. Also, PIRAHNA BYTES PLEASE GIVE US A STAT SHEET. I need to know how much health I have/mana/stamina/charisma, etc. How ELEX managed to release without this is truly baffling to me.

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
Fascinating. I finished a quest for the Clerics and once he'd rewarded me, he stood up and called some people over. He told them to go secure the area I'd just been to, and they did. I followed them and they actually made the entire 10 minute walk, killing multiple animals(and losing one guy) on the way. It's like Radiant AI 2.0.

Raapys

Arcane

And proceed to faceroll the next 60% of the content? Yeah, must be awesome. Almost as awesome as to type "God mode" in the debug console.

People are weird.
Not sure exactly what you're arguing here. Are you arguing for level scaled loot? Arguing against open-ended design? Or just arguing against using high level items at an early stage in the game?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fascinating. I finished a quest for the Clerics and once he'd rewarded me, he stood up and called some people over. He told them to go secure the area I'd just been to, and they did. I followed them and they actually made the entire 10 minute walk, killing multiple animals(and losing one guy) on the way. It's like Radiant AI 2.0.

Yeah, I told one guy in the Berzerker city that one of the other elders was fucking with his people and he said he was going to take it to the leader... he walked all the way over there and I followed and listened to the conversation between the two where he told him what happened and how this other clan leader was being an ass... and there were people in the tavern area carousing, NPCs coming and going... amazing how 25 people can create reactivity and a simulation while hundreds of bethesda employees get lauded for having NPCs stay in one spot for the entirety of a game and models that are eternally sitting enjoying their ale

Dexter

Arcane
Elex looks almost like modded Gothic 2

1-0-1498748982.png
Man I love the sense of place in most PB games, most of their towns and a lot of other places look like they could actually exist, none of that random generated Oblivion/Skyrim shit or just orderly placed buildings along a street because there's supposed to be houses there. They always had the power to create actual worlds that look lived in and their carefully designed Open Worlds never get boring or feel like filler.

They pull the same story and shit from Gothic, and Risen, you would expect them to evolve during that 15 years, but they serve the same reheated meal.
Maybe people don't want them to "evolve", since that barely ever means anything good nowadays. Maybe they just want a similar experience to that of 15 years ago with a new coat of paint since there was nothing wrong with it back then and it was in many ways a lot better than your Skyrims and Dragon Age: Cisquisitions and like the "story and shit" just fine the way it is.

I'm playing on Ultra right now and feel just slightly retarded having to watch Duras kill some trash mobs while I stand in the corner jacking off. Do STR and DEX strongly affect damage on lower difficulties or is it more about the weapons? It feels like it's doing nothing at all. Also the Berserkers only have one other bow than the worst one to sell, which is odd.
I don't know about ELEX specifically, but in Piranha Bytes games gear usually matters a lot. Getting even a single new piece of armor or a new weapon or upgrading your fighting skills at the various Trainers, which was always the most important thing about improving in combat skills can change the dynamic of the game dramatically and the changes are very noticeable.

Seethe

Arbiter
Is the definition of Janky - "I suck real bad."?
It actually is pretty janky if you play on Ultra and fight hard monsters. A lot of running around due to doing zero damage & dying in 2 hits make you really feel it.

On a side note I really enjoy that I am proven more and more correct on my theories and summations on game difficulty and player response based on the hipster level of the game. Since this game doesn't have the hipster stamp of approval the combat sucks.

Is this hipster enough for you,you dumb piece of shit?

Literally Dark Souls level of hitboxes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom