Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ELEX RELEASED

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's painful watching streamers use two sword moves during the entire game. It's fucking decline, there's no way around it. Writing is typical hollywood cringe in the same vein as Bethesda and Ass Effect.

Everything from button-mashing combat to UI, writing, bland factions points to the fact ELEX was made for console casuals. Shocking how low expectations have dropped.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's the honest truth. Nonlinear exploration and challenging difficulty are the only things of interest here. Either pirate this or go back to your backlog, either is better than paying fucking 50 euros for a B-class consolizated/casualizated RPG.

Elex

Arbiter
It's painful watching streamers use two sword moves during the entire game. It's fucking decline, there's no way around it. Writing is typical hollywood cringe in the same vein as Bethesda and Ass Effect.

Everything from button-mashing combat to UI, writing, bland factions points to the fact ELEX was made for console casuals. Shocking how low expectations have dropped.
what is the number of sword moves required to be incline?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
R1cuNWx.jpg

7SdGFlF.jpg

DAlMHxR.jpg

what is the number of sword moves required to be incline?

Uh

buffalo bill

Arcane
I would love to have charmed NPCs that follow me for days or be able to store my soul in a gem and then take over other's bodies so when they die I just go back to my own body. I would love to be able to teleport to anyplace I visited or reverse gravity in area so my charmed companions I gave bows to can finish them.
Wake me up when someone makes a proper open world rpg.

Edit:
Or how about being able to set up traps, use Stealth to take out enemies one by one or even do things like *gasp* climb trees to use your bow vs melee enemies.

Also meeting enemies that do the same.
Caves of Qud is an open world RPG that satisfies most of these requirements to some extent—no stealth or tree climbing though (but you can fly and use bow on melee enemies from above).

ArchAngel

Arcane
I would love to have charmed NPCs that follow me for days or be able to store my soul in a gem and then take over other's bodies so when they die I just go back to my own body. I would love to be able to teleport to anyplace I visited or reverse gravity in area so my charmed companions I gave bows to can finish them.
Wake me up when someone makes a proper open world rpg.

Edit:
Or how about being able to set up traps, use Stealth to take out enemies one by one or even do things like *gasp* climb trees to use your bow vs melee enemies.

Also meeting enemies that do the same.
Caves of Qud is an open world RPG that satisfies most of these requirements to some extent—no stealth or tree climbing though (but you can fly and use bow on melee enemies from above).
You know we are talking about games with graphics? Because you know this is a topic about a game that has graphics.
Caves of Qud has zero graphics, not even basic ones. I know some people don't care but I need at least some basic level of graphics to be able to play a game.

buffalo bill

Arcane
You know we are talking about games with graphics? Because you know this is a topic about a game that has graphics.
Caves of Qud has zero graphics, not even basic ones. I know some people don't care but I need at least some basic level of graphics to be able to play a game.
If you can't get into minimal graphics, that's fine. But it is not true that Caves of Qud lacks graphics—I'd say they are on par with classics like Dark Sun: Shattered Lands or even Darklands (fewer animations than Darklands and no scenery images, but more variety of tiles and more dynamic visual effects). I really do understand being turned off by minimal graphics (though I detest 3D in basically any form, I must admit), but Caves of Qud is really, truly a great game mechanically and setting-wise.
Effusive Codex enthusiasm about Elex, while probably merited to some degree (I haven't played the Gothics, but plan to at some point), is sort of a bummer when a great game like Caves of Qud gets relatively little attention, solely due to its graphics.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you can't get into minimal graphics, that's fine. But it is not true that Caves of Qud lacks graphics—I'd say they are on par with classics like Dark Sun: Shattered Lands or even Darklands (fewer animations than Darklands and no scenery images, but more variety of tiles and more dynamic visual effects). I really do understand being turned off by minimal graphics (though I detest 3D in basically any form, I must admit), but Caves of Qud is really, truly a great game mechanically and setting-wise.
Effusive Codex enthusiasm about Elex, while probably merited to some degree (I haven't played the Gothics, but plan to at some point), is sort of a bummer when a great game like Caves of Qud gets relatively little attention, solely due to its graphics.
I cannot go into games in 2017 if they are below Xcom 1994 or BG. Most ugly game I played in last 10 years was Knights of the Chalice but mostly because of graphics and its UI I could not make myself replay it once I finished it.

buffalo bill

Arcane
*Goldbox games and top-down stuff like Wasteland, also, but I actually think Caves of Qud looks better than most of the games from that era.

buffalo bill

Arcane
I cannot go into games in 2017 if they are below Xcom 1994 or BG. Most ugly game I played in last 10 years was Knights of the Chalice but mostly because of graphics and its UI I could not make myself replay it once I finished it.
Well, each to their own I guess. I'd say your loss, but again, I do understand why minimal graphics turn some people off.

Btw, minimal =/= ugly, imo. There are pretty minimal graphics and ugly ones. Caves of Qud is one with pretty ones (again, imo of course).

Au Ellai

Educated
Three pages in and apparently no one's actually played the game? Are we all just judging a game by screenshots, videos, and streamers? I don't care if it's awesome or shit, but would be nice to actually hear a judgement from someone who's actually played the thing. Or do we not play games anymore here? Did I join the forum too late?

Tigranes

Arcane

Au Ellai

Educated
The reactions in this thread and the reactions in that thread are so different they may as well be from different forums. Most people who've played it seem to dig it though.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
And also uh Bethesda's game are first person
I've always seen people playing them in third person.

You judge a game series you've never played by comparing them to a game series you've never played but have watched because for some reason you spend your time watching other people play games

:hmmm:
I've seen a friend play skyrim. I know that skyrim is an objectively shitty game and a prime example of decline.

Jinn

Arcane
The reactions in this thread and the reactions in that thread are so different they may as well be from different forums. Most people who've played it seem to dig it though.

We don't use the news forums for the bulk of our game discussion here. That's what the dedicated gaming forums are for.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm about eight hours in and I'm enjoying it immensely. Exploration is amazing. Dialogue is inconsistent stylistically and often a little wooden, but generally okay and skippable with subtitles. The actual content is great though. Factions (greenpeace vikings, cowboys, and high-tech religious fundamentalists) are SURPRISINGLY believable. I personally like the combat, although I still need to run away from anything that's not pretty weak if I'm not hiding behind a companion. But if you want to hear from more people who've played it, definitely read the other thread.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
So, anyone playing it on a non-pro PS4? How does it run?

Dude, it runs at ~70 fps (maximum settings) on a gtx1060 and a non-toaster cpu. PB just releases on consoles since Risen, but doesn't really give a shit about them.

And to ^, I agree. It's Piranha Bytes back in action after their Risen 2/3 catastrophes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom