Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game made you give up on Bioware?

The game that made me quit Bioware forever was...

• Total voters

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Choose the option that better reflects your "fuck it, I'm not playing anything from these hacks ever again" moment. Your choice doesn't imply the previous games were great, it only implies whatever you chose is, in your opinion, the straw that broke the camel's back and made you go "FUCK BIOWARE FROM NOW ON!!!!".

Eg: Mine is Dragon Age 2. That game conviced me Bioware was dead. ME 2's ending left me a poor impression, but it was DA2 that made me quit Bioware games forever. I have no opinion on whatever came after DA2 because I played none of that crap.

Anyway, VOTE.

Will edit the poll if an unlisted game gets enough votes.

KOTOR is just plain good, and most of these games have at least some redeeming qualities. The first game that had none is Inquisition, so I didn't play it for more than 6 hours. But the game that finally made me give up is, of course, Andromeda. I could explain why, but I don't think it's necessary.

Deleted member 7219

The demo for Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Then finding out that they're now making a Destiny clone.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Played Dragon Age and completed it, and threw my DVD's over the fence. So I completely wrote that series completely off.

However since I LOVE SCI-FI, and had an absolute BLAST with Mass Effect 2, I held out for Mass Effect 3....

And then the 100% focus on multi-player gaming started to show up in all the design decisions. Finished it and that was the end of BioWare for me. I didn't give a shit about the ending stuff, that was of little to no concern compared to the rest of the damage the focus on multi-player had on the game (among other things).

And that's when I said good-bye and good riddance. Because you are now completely and utterly dead. :salute:

JasonNH

Augur
I put DAO, not so much for the experience of the game itself, which was okay, but when they failed to support the modding community as promised and when they pushed out low effort DLC that completely contradicted established lore and story because they wanted to re-use assets and make a quick buck. The writing was on the wall that the cash cow milking had commenced.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The quality of their games has been deteriorating for well over a decade, but DA:O really killed all hope I've had left. Previous games still had some redeeming qualities. Even DA:2, while incredibly half-assed, managed to do some things well (combat was the tits). Mass Effect 3 I quite liked and I always felt it got too much hate because of poor ending.

DA:O though? Just one poor design decision piling on another, and another, and another, all around garbage game with literally nothing interesting about it. Andromeda I didn't even bother to pirate.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
tbh, I never really gave a shit about Bioware, but Dragon Age 2 reminded me to never look in their direction again.

It's a bit misleading though, cos Bioware and EABioware are two completely different entities.

polo

Magister
DA2, then ME3 confirmed it. And then i tried dunno why DAI for 10 minutes, and confirmed for a 2nd time.

Falksi

Arcane
Dragon Age: Inquisition was the final straw for me.

I really enjoyed a lot of their games in some way or other up until around 2010. For all it's fault, I thrived on Dragon Age:Origins for the overall experience (music was especially stunning in areas), and I also had a superb time with Mass Effect 1 too (again, despite the flaws, it still managed to really give me something of a "space jock" experience).

Then came the sequels of ME:2 & DA:2 which both left me underwhelmed. ME:2 was OK, just a bit boring and - for a game with actually fairly poor shooting mechanics - relied too much on it's combat. But DA:2 really, really rammed it home how tard-focussed they were now. I pretty much hated all the DA:2 experience. Hearing Mike Laidlaw get excited by the "new" Darkspawn - something out of a fucking 70's Kung-Fu Ghost film - left a very sour taste in the mouth. "Wow, what is that fat cunt thinking?" were my thoughts, as he turned menacing looking enemies into plastic comedy peices. And I fucking pissed myself at his GILF-fettished Flemeth :hahano:.

So I was very skeptical about the 3rd installments in both series. I found ME:3 utterly awful and dumb beyond belief, and I actually feel the all the hoo-ha about the ending helped mask how poor the actual game itself was. But as a crap shooter I could see why GOW fans would like it. I hated it, it was nothing for RPG fans, but as much as it annoyed me I could understand the more "shootery" game they had taking that direction.

But DA:I was when the last glimmer of hope died. Mainly because I'd read a few peices were Bioware claimed it was gonna be more like Origins than DA:2, and that it'd learned it's lessons from DA:2, only to release a game which kept all the worse elements of DA:2, ignored most of the best ones from Origins, and added loads of new wank in the proccess. They'd claimed that they were learning and returning to form, and did totally the opposite instead, moving even further away from the elements which had held such franchizes together for years.

DA:I was simply stunning at how much it had failed, but the fact it was billed by some Bioware staff & reviewers as "a return to form" made it even more of a shit pill to swallow.

I haven't even played a demo of Andromeda, and won't entertain DA:4 either. Bioware have simply forgotten how to make good games now. They're a none-entity.

Neanderthal

Arcane
NWN OC really buried em for me. I wasn't much impressed wi BG as it were a massive decline from Ultima series in so many ways, but BG2 at least built on it in some ways. NWN really showed how unoriginal, tedious an bound by convention they could be, that increased in every game after to lesser or greater degrees, until now thats all there is left.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I wanted to say ME2, but by ME2 I think I was still hoping that it wouldn't all turn to absolute shit, at least initially. I think I gave up on Bioware completely during ME2, when I realized how much it was fucked up just so it could work on consoles, and that they had no intention on ever releasing some form of enhanced edition or rectify shit in DLC:s, and instead made poorly implemented cash-grab DLC:s, such as Zaeed and Kasumi.

But I think that it was by the time DA2 rolled around that I truly gave up and stopped caring what happened to EAWare, and that they had broken every promise they ever made.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Mass Effect 2 was when I realized they just didn't give a shit about the story anymore. They didn't care if it made any sense. They just wanted to throw whatever they thought was cool on the screen, and what they think is cool (faux Cigarette Smoking Man, Terminator robot) is not cool to me. So I knew then that Bioware would never again be what it once was, but I still thought their games would be worth playing.

It was the ending of ME3 that did it for me. I would have rather gotten to the end and just found a giant middle finger and hear "Fuck you, player!" instead of the Star Child. When they destroyed that galaxy, they destroyed any interest I had in playing their games in the future.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
DA2 was the last BIO game i bought. The absolute faggotry of that game was the final straw.

I did demo ME3 though. Figured bio owed me one for putting up with their bullshit for years.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
DA:O. Underwhelming. I would perhaps have tried something else but really, real-world agenda pushing games means an instant go fuck yourself from me. I have games I have Kickstarted that I now refuse to play on principal alone. I will never pay for someone to push an agenda on me and Bioware is the epitome of what is wrong with the games industry.

I did try Inquisition as it was free to me, but it was creepy as fuck, with NPCs and companions overtly created to make certain types want to fuck them. Has no place in RPGs and Bioware can fuck off and die.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
For me the last nail in the coffin was Dragon Age: Origins and especially its Feastday Gifts DLC. There were so many things wrong with the game that it'd take the whole day and night to list them all, but that embarrassing piece of DLC was the point of no return. Either that or Leliana's song, I'm not completely sure. Nothing about the game resonated with me in any way, and the aforementioned moments were so fucked-up and alien that it was like entering some kind of a prosperian nightmare.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Neverwinter Nights and Oblivion are the bad turning points for Bethesda and Bioware for me, but this is preaching to the choir.

The problem was the market trends of the time, gamers simply wanted less smarts and more button mashing so they had to work with their publishers or be left homeless. Honestly, the real problem was trying to compliment mash and glitz with smarts so the result a poor mixture of both. If NWN and Oblivion just dropped stats completely and focused on visuals object materialism they probably would have been better GAMES and then a few years later people would decide they want smarts again. Everything shifts.

Last edited:
DA:O for me. And not because the game is particularly bad by the standards of its siblings. It's because DA:O confirmed to me beyond any shadow of a doubt that Bioware was committed to developing talking simulators. Endless talking. It might take up to forty hours to finish the game. But this "epic" fantasy game is really about eight hours long if you just skip the dialogue. The other thirty-two hours is listening to overgrown adolescents talk about their feelings around a camp fire. It's like the entire development process is just one big therapy session for Bioware's writers. And those writers have issues. Creepy issues.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Mass Effect.
Got a copy as a gift and haven't tried it yet, but IIRC it has some kind of DRM which means it can only be installed 5 times.
And wasn't ME the first Dating Simulator?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'll post this again, but when I saw this in Dragon Age Origins, I never felt gayer in my life. I put the game down, and while I returned about a year later and finished it, the damage was already done. I just started questioning all the games I was playing and now have lost all enthusiasm for newer rpgs...

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'll post this again, but when I saw this in Dragon Age Origins, I never felt gayer in my life. I put the game down, and while I returned about a year later and finished it, the damage was already done. I just started questioning all the games I was playing and now have lost all enthusiasm for newer rpgs...

Lhynn

Arcane
ME3 made me realize just how bad things had gotten. I saw DA2 as a quick cashgrab and nothing more, so i wasnt too susprised with the end result. But ME3 just showed me they had nothing to offer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom