Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Steam brought me this.

-Talking to Duras freezes the Game
->Solution: Pressing L to open your Logs should unfreeze

Kahr

5Dlxxtk.jpg

Outlaws just rule. Game gets better once you leave the treehuggers.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
While being a good game and all, they need to overhaul their UI in general asap.

Also, I've just got my first T-pose :D
Xd6yHfH.jpg

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Is there more music beside that sad motiff, or is it just because im hanging in eden with tree hippies?

Edit: And how can you make an open world game with lot of enemies, and not make combat gained XP rewarding enough just to make you incentive to hunt enemies? The main XP gain is through quest, and the disparity is huge, why bother fighting creatures when you can get 20x more xp by quest. The only worth fighting are those that guard some resources, the rest i just run by. I'm still torturing myself on ultra diff, just to see how shitty the balance is.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Well I guess I'll be a spoil sport seeing as everyone is celebrating in this thread.

I spent 30 minutes analyzing the combat system by fighting the same biter again and again trying to see if I can kill it without getting hit once.

Result: It is terrible.

The lack of basic feedback is aggravating , there is barely any blood or hit effect at all when connecting a strike, the recoil animation is so jerky it looks more like an attack and the sound design makes it feel like I am hitting a wall rather than rending flesh.

Trying to get a flow going is a nightmare, sometimes I manage get in a Quick-Quick-Heavy-Heavy after the biter's far too long 3 hit dash but sometimes it just snaps backs and hits me, there are serious consistency issues in how enemy animations flow into one another, plenty of "snapping" into position going on.

But the biggest issue by far is the hitboxes:

This is unacceptably bad, even for a 25 man team or how many devs PB has.

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Well I guess I'll be spoil sport seeing as everyone is celebrating in this thread.

I spent 30 minutes analyzing the combat system by fighting the same bitter again and again trying to see if I can kill it without getting hit once.

The lack of basic feedback is aggravating , there is barely any blood or hit effect at all when connecting a strike, the recoil animation is so jerky it looks more like an attack and the sound design makes it feel like I am hitting a wall rather than rending flesh.

Trying to get as flow going is a nightmare, sometimes I manage get in a Quick-Quick-Heavy-Heavy after the biter's far too long 3 hit dash but some times it just snaps backs and hits me, there are serious consistency issues in how enemy animations flow into one another, plenty of "snapping" into position going on.

Not even Gothic 2 or even 1 had such terrible hitboxes or jerky combat and you can cleary see it here

The combat is in a terrible state and whoever defends this should be ashamed

Elex

Arbiter
Is there more music beside that sad motiff, or is it just because im hanging in eden with tree hippies?

Edit: And how can you make an open world game with lot of enemies, and not make combat gained XP rewarding enough just to make you incentive to hunt enemies? The main XP gain is through quest, and the disparity is huge, why bother fighting creatures when you can get 20x more xp by quest. The only worth fighting are those that guard some resources, the rest i just run by. I'm still torturing myself on ultra diff, just to see how shitty the balance is.
the actual reward of killing certain hard enemies is finding loot inside some cave or opening up some new area or shortcut.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well I guess I'll be spoil sport seeing as everyone is celebrating in this thread.

I spent 30 minutes analyzing the combat system by fighting the same biter again and again trying to see if I can kill it without getting hit once.

Trying to get a flow going is a nightmare, sometimes I manage get in a Quick-Quick-Heavy-Heavy after the biter's far too long 3 hit dash but sometimes it just snaps backs and hits me, there are serious consistency issues in how enemy animations flow into one another, plenty of "snapping" into position going on.

Combat - at least on the lower levels - can pretty much be summed up with one word: janky

Hardly a surprise with PB though and it's something that patches can fix fairly easily. The question is whether the content can carry this game for the long haul IMO

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Combat - at least on the lower levels - can pretty much be summed up with one word: janky

Hardly a surprise with PB though and it's something that patches can fix fairly easily. The question is whether the content can carry this game for the long haul IMO

It's a pretty fucking big surprise,none of their games had such amount of ''jank'' when it comes to combat,hell Risen 3 is a fucking masterpiece compared with this clunky shit.

It's ridiculous that we have to defend these second handed devs which abilities to make a decent game seem to degrade with every release,it's fucking pathetic.

Tigranes

Arcane
Also I wouldn't really hold out for patches changing anything substantial

Tigranes

Arcane

Isn't stuff like hitboxes fairly simple to change..? I mean it's not exactly like you have to revamp anything

I suppose they did fix/include dodging for R2/R3 after release, so maybe. It's hard to figure out why it's so janky right now, though, I mean does it extend 3m wide?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Isn't stuff like hitboxes fairly simple to change..? I mean it's not exactly like you have to revamp anything

I suppose they did fix/include dodging for R2/R3 after release, so maybe. It's hard to figure out why it's so janky right now, though, I mean does it extend 3m wide?

I think there's two things at play: poor animation (the animation meshing work is simply too shoddily done - the attack animations of two characters have next to no blend, meaning no consideration was put into making everything gel) and too wide hitboxes. Together, those two problems create some fucking chaotic combat scenarios. Hitboxes seem simple to fix - the animation perhaps not so much.

Also, I think this game might get a much wider audience than Risen, which might mean more support after launch. We'll see. Either way, I feel like PB has always been about scope at the cost of polish, and this time, the scope is vast.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
And the enemies can just spam the grenade launcher,guns,bows all day long

Yep, they should have limited ammo, and when they run out, they should switch to secondary like sword [which should be weaker? up to debate], since its secondary stat/weapon. This way, enemies could be powerful first, but when you strip them from their advantages, eg. dodge their grenades, neuter their best magic shots etc. etc. then you could kill them easier.

This would require VERY good AI, though. It's very easy to bait enemies into attacking you and missing their shots in most videogames (if not every game I've ever played), so unlimited ammo is to balance stuff.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Some patch for Elex was downloaded and I can't start the game. :prosper:

Maybe it's because I modified ini before, to make save work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom