Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
From what I've read so far this game seems like massive incline and a return to form for Piranha Bytes. I'm very glad about it.

PrettyDeadman

So can anyone tell me what the deal is with the Outlaws? What's their gimmick? Not magic, not high tech. Then what?
As far as I know they use various stimulants (think of mentats and psycho frm fallout 3).

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
So far the game is 6/10, i guess in next year they will add it to cereal boxes as a bonus xD, or to some pc game magazine. Or just sell it for 5 bucks on some sale.
Terribly unbalanced, getting a one level in ranged weapons gave me whooping +10% damage xD. And there's only 3 levels. I hope weapons will deal more than 40-50 dmg, because the sponginess is unbearable.
Ranged is useless at least that's the first impression. Shitton of arrows that i have to use, i can't get them back, so after few enemies i have to buy like two stacks of 80, for a lot of elexit. I don't see much interesting builds in this game, the lack of spells, lack of skills, even with faction skills it's bad.

Boy i was nitpicking the D:OS 2, but hell the game looks better, runs better[even on a crappy laptop], have better character creation, better plot. The only thing that is going in this game is intriguing world, but it's not a sandbox game it's an ARPG open world game. ARPG because your own dexterity and skill, and not the skill of PC determines the efficiency of combat, so it's NOT A CRPG, where character stats affect rolls, and you don't have any influence how well the character behave in battle.

People who love grinding for 200 hours will be delighted though. It's like skyrim, you will be exploring every nook and cranny, finding the same loot, repeating this thousand of times. Only the landscape and landmarks to admire will change. Great open world hiking simulator i have to say. Still witcher 3 is way better in that regard.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So can anyone tell me what the deal is with the Outlaws? What's their gimmick? Not magic, not high tech. Then what? Why would I pick them over the other two factions? (aside from the fact that I think outlaws are cool d00ds)

Also, if I don't choose to join the clerics does that mean I won't have access to the best high tech goodies? Or can I still get some laz0r guns somehow? Speaking of guns, are they complete ass? Or are they actually worth using?

Granadas from what I understand.

----------

f96vLKT.jpg

Decided it was time to run.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Watched a Let's Play of this.

Player approaches some sort of commotion occuring in the distance.

Game transitions to a cutscene in which the protagonist walks up to the scene, which turns out to be some power armour wearing guys fending off wild life with their laser guns.

Cutscene ends and game resumes with the player standing right next to the power armour dudes. With the wild life killed, they turn their attention to him. He tries to run away and is promptly killed.
:prosper:

You get a sub-quest off the main initial Survival quest that talks about Albs in the area. If you go into the 1st city and complete the Survival quest it goes away so I turned back before going in to find these guys. When I got there I received 800xp, got to watch a cut scene, and was promptly killed in one shot the 3 times I tried. Anyway I'm pretty sure that quest was a trap.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I played enough for some first impressions (hard difficulty with a melee character).

- difficulty-wise it's close to Gothic 1/2, everything can kill you, there's only a few enemies you can tackle in the beginning and it's usually weaker versions of a regular mob
- most indoor/outdoor transitions are annoying due to lighting (see the screenshots a few pages back in this thread)
- the setting might seem odd, but it works for me so far
- companions seem to be too strong, the first one I got (Duras) can take quite a few hits and dishes out more damage than me
- characters and the language they use are all very much in the Piranha Bytes vein (German version)
- combat is a bit clunky, just like in Gothic, enemies like to get stuck if the terrain is very uneven
- the jetpack is fun, you can descend sheer cliffs no problem if you time it right, there also seem to be lots of places that were designed with it in mind
- there's a fuckton to see and explore, the world does seem massive
- in a few hours of playing there were already quite a few instances of c&c

The above is of course subject to change as I get further along. But ELEX already seems way closer to Gothic 1/2 and Risen 1 than PB's other games.

Elex

Arbiter
Watched a Let's Play of this.

Player approaches some sort of commotion occuring in the distance.

Game transitions to a cutscene in which the protagonist walks up to the scene, which turns out to be some power armour wearing guys fending off wild life with their laser guns.

Cutscene ends and game resumes with the player standing right next to the power armour dudes. With the wild life killed, they turn their attention to him. He tries to run away and is promptly killed.
:prosper:

You get a sub-quest off the main initial Survival quest that talks about Albs in the area. If you go into the 1st city and complete the Survival quest it goes away so I turned back before going in to find these guys. When I got there I received 800xp, got to watch a cut scene, and was promptly killed in one shot the 3 times I tried. Anyway I'm pretty sure that quest was a trap.
ohhh it's like the guy in the old camp that wanto to share a treasure.

Moink

Cipher
I'm still trying to work out if people are ebin rusing or the game is actually good before I buy, I can never tell.

youhomofo

Augur
I'm still trying to work out if people are ebin rusing or the game is actually good before I buy, I can never tell.

Grab it off Steam and play for a couple hours. Return if you don't like it.

I haven't started playing yet (waiting until after work), but I am familiar with PB games. They are brutally hard. You're just some dude. Not the great and powerful hero. A bum on the street can kick your ass and rob you blind. You start out very, very weak, BUT you get stronger, and eventually you ARE a BAMF (Bad Ass Mutha Fucka). For me it's such a rewarding experience. I'm cool with it. In Gothic a couple brigands shook me down and took my money. Nothing I could do about it. They were too strong, and I was a half-naked dude swinging a tree branch. Eventually I came back in a full suit of armor with a giant two-handed sword crackling with mystical energies and I obliterated them. Fuck yeah.

Also, the PB games are buggy as HELL. If you can't tolerate bugs don't pick it up. The graphics manage to be both beautiful and crappy. Some aspects of the environment will be really nice. And then you'll see a bunch of weird, blocky hills and bad textures.

In short, PB games are janky, buggy, and hard as fuck. But they're actually a lot of fun if you can overlook those faults and you enjoy a challenging experience and a believable world.

Moink

Cipher
I do like eurotrash RPG's, but I'm banned from refunding on steam because I refunded like 10 games in a week, does GOG have a good refund policy?

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So is this better or as good as Risen 1 at least, or will everyone have to go back on their words once they find out the endgame turns out to be a massive festering pile of shit?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
It's definitely a Gothic game. I think people complaining about difficultly don't understand PB's concepts of being weak in the beginning and no scaling. Could stand to be better balanced maybe but it's not unexpected. I've also seen quite a few comments by people who are skipping quests and content for the other factions, when the ideal strategy has always been to do all the bitchquests for each group to maximize your XP gains before choosing who to commit to.

I'm also going to do the gothic thing where you see how far you can get without spending any points, and then keep a backup save before choosing a faction. We'll see how that goes. So far it looks like the factions are:

Berserkers - "Paladins," Melee + Buffs/heals, classic Gothic faction, but no tech makes this a WTF choice for a sci-fi game

Outlaws - "Mercenaries/New camp rogues," Ranged + Crafting/Stims. Sounds interesting but spamming consumables is never real fun

Clerics - "???" No Gothic analogues? - Swamp Camp cultists?, laser guns + swords sounds awesome though. The clear choice.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
As for the "boob physics". Boobs are not flying around, it's the clothes. In general, clothes in this game are slightly ripple from the breeze/movement. This just looks extremely disturbing on boobs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom