Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ELEX RELEASED

Tigranes

Arcane
K
O
N
I
E
C

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why the hell is the Codex so hyped for this, it looks so... meh.

Erosion of standard due to drought.

Under normal conditions this mediocre console RPG costing 50 euros would be ridiculed, shat on and torched.

Normal conditions? The RPG drought has been the new normal for years.

There’s a lot of love for Gothic on this site, so it probably would’ve been hyped regardless. I have to say I’m optimistic, but we’ll see once it finishes downloading.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know nothing about this but I'm immediately turned off by the fact that it resembles a typical bethesda third person open world """""""rpg""""""""

Have you played Gothic 1 or 2 or even Risen 1?

This is not like Bethesda’s pseudo RPGs. There is no level scaling, so while the world is open, you will get eaten alive if you try to go somewhere dangerous early on. There’s a gradual but very genuine sense of progression as your character gets stronger in Piranha Bytes’ games that’s very much lacking with Bethesda.

Stats and skills actually matter; faction choices are a big deal and the differences between factions are way more than just cosmetic. Dialogue has higher stakes and the dialogue trees are a lot deeper, although from what I’ve seen the writing quality is nothing to write home about in English. Combat requires a hell of a lot more thought than something like Skyrim or Oblivion or Fallout 3/4.

Like everyone says, Bethesda’s open worlds are a mile wide and only an inch deep. Piranha Bytes makes worlds with real depth.

Elex may turn out to be really disappointing for any number of reasons, but being too much like Bethesda ain’t one of them.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seeing as I don't even meet the minimum requirements, I could try to still
get it running with everything at ultra low settings. The ultimate old-school
visual experience. The fps even could make it close to turn-based.:cool:

ArchAngel

Arcane
And also uh Bethesda's game are first person
I've always seen people playing them in third person.

You judge a game series you've never played by comparing them to a game series you've never played but have watched because for some reason you spend your time watching other people play games

:hmmm:
Except he is right. This game is just like Bethesda shit. One or two button action 3rd person mash button simulator. Maybe after X hours you get more options but one guy I watched got to lvl 15 as a Cleric and didn't seem to have many of them.

I am still waiting for a D&D inspired open world RPG where spells don't use mana and spells allow you greater feats than few seconds of invisibility or throwing flaming feces at shit enemies that can also only do the same.

I would love to have charmed NPCs that follow me for days or be able to store my soul in a gem and then take over other's bodies so when they die I just go back to my own body. I would love to be able to teleport to anyplace I visited or reverse gravity in area so my charmed companions I gave bows to can finish them.
Wake me up when someone makes a proper open world rpg.

Edit:
Or how about being able to set up traps, use Stealth to take out enemies one by one or even do things like *gasp* climb trees to use your bow vs melee enemies.

Also meeting enemies that do the same.

Last edited:
Deus Ex.

There, that had nothing to do with anything. Not even the same genre. Didn't even mention which one I was referring to. Might have been saying "Deus Ex sucks compared to majestic Elex" before my cat sat on the keyboard (no shit, that happens a lot - got two of them, but only one is smart as fuck and knows that he can get pretty much fucking anything by repeatedly walking back over and sitting on the keyboard while I keep removing him and try desperately to guess wtf he wants this time).

But we all know that I saved one of you bastards from dropping full price on this thing while you're replaying Deus Ex again:)

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Why the hell is the Codex so hyped for this, it looks so... meh. The sci-fi-fantasy concept annoyed me in [two of the most beloved PC rpg franchises to the codex and also the rest of the world], drop it already, it's stupid.

Your argument that the codex should not be excited about this game is not supported by the evidence you provide.

I don't see how. Isn't it natural that great games which made one stupid design decision are still great games? But shooting dragons with blasters is retarded, they would have been better without it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom