Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News South Park: The Fractured But Whole Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: South Park: The Fractured But Whole; Ubisoft

It was quite a surprise back in 2015 when Ubisoft announced that they were going to develop the sequel to Obsidian's well-received South Park: The Stick of Truth, the superhero-themed South Park: The Fractured But Whole, at one of their in-house studios. It was an announcement that elicited a great deal of Obsidian mockery at the time, particularly since Ubisoft also decided to adopt a sophisticated-looking grid-based tactical combat system in place of the first game's JRPG-style combat. That mockery fell away as it became clear over time that The Fractured But Whole was almost as vaporwarey as its predecessor, with the release date pushed back several times. But today it's finally out. Here's the launch trailer:

The game seems to be reviewing about as well as The Stick of Truth did, perhaps a tad worse. The reviewers like the new combat system, but some disapprove of the Ubisoft-style item collection or are just tired of the whole South Park thing. If you're not tired of South Park and you're not too busy playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 ELEX, you can grab the game on Steam now for $60.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I enjoyed the tie-in episode and was considering getting this, but the season pass and uplay, meh, I'll wait for a complete collection or when it's half price in three months.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only people that would play this game are those that watched all South Park and want more South Park or people that don't care they are playing a bad game with bad combat. Also goes for last South Park game.
If I want South Park I can watch many episodes I didn't watch yet and for gameplay fix, there are so many better games around.

Deleted member 7219

I've played about 3 and half hours so far.

Impressions: it's basically more of the same, combat is now party based (you can have four in your party rather than just two) and the movement does make it a little bit more tactical. I set my combat difficulty on medium and fights do take a lot longer than they did in the previous game. Not sure if that means it is harder - probably not. In some of the Sixth Grader fights, one of my party is usually knocked out but I haven't lost a fight yet.

As for everything else - a lot of the magic is gone but I think a lot of the appeal of Stick of Truth was the fact you were playing in the South Park universe, properly, for the first time, so we weren't going to get that feeling again. One positive though is that in Stick of Truth, the kid stuff of pretending to be medieval warriors got dropped pretty quickly, but they're making a good go of it here and I like that. The best episodes of South Park were always the ones when the kids were just kids.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played it for a few hours.

Leave it ubisoft to make a game looks complex, but actually tje mechanics are dumbed down from before.

You only have 3 skills /attacks you can use. Equipping artifacts are stupid.

Because of only 3 skills, combat gets boring although the tactical grid is good, everything else is a step down.

even i feel the jokes and scenarios are much boring than stick of truth. Thats one is up to matt and trey.

It is like 1 step forwarf, 5 step backwards thing

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Typical Ubisoft. The game's full off boring menial fetch quests, mini-games and collectibles, the main story is weak, main premise is copypasted from Stick of Truth. The combat's okay.

It can still be a sort of fun casual game for a South Park fan, but it's a shit RPG through and through.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
It was ok. I didn't rush through it by any means and wandered around looking for a few of the collectibles since I didn't use anything to look them up and still only clocked in around 24 hours. I wouldn't spend sixty dollars on it. Agree that the combat is still pretty basic because of the 4 ability limit (and one of those are an "ultimate" ability, so it's more like a 3 ability limit).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
It was ok. I didn't rush through it by any means and wandered around looking for a few of the collectibles since I didn't use anything to look them up and still only clocked in around 24 hours. I wouldn't spend sixty dollars on it. Agree that the combat is still pretty basic because of the 4 ability limit (and one of those are an "ultimate" ability, so it's more like a 3 ability limit).
they butchered the combat for sure. SoT was a fun lite rpg with paper mario like combat.

In this you only have 3 skills with variety as much as the green vegetation in antartica.

In the end they let you to unlock every class (because fuck choices) and tjere is only 3 abilities anyway it doesnt fucking matter.

Picking class in SoT was at least decently meaningful as you obtain different skill and spells.

Oooooh ubisoft

jaydee2k

Savant
I pirated it because of no Obsidian anymore and Uplay. Gee those idiots are rly thinking anybody will buy this ?!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I pirated it because of no Obsidian anymore and Uplay. Gee those idiots are rly thinking anybody will buy this ?!
the drm are just so overkill that the pirated version are easier to play.

Legit copy: have steam account, login to steam, buy game, install game, have ssd raped by denuvo, forced to makr uplay, login to uplay. Thrn you play game.

Pirate: go to torrent site, download, install, play

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom