Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The combat is clunky, but the exploration/world feels like a true PB title.
What exactly is "clunky" about it? I finally got the game, but the physical copy is arriving later today and I keep hearing this but people don't seem to explain what they mean by it.

I remember people said that Risen combat was "clunky", but most of them somehow didn't realize that you weren't supposed to do expert attacks with a metal rod right at the beginning of the game and it was purposefully "clunky" that you just swung it around you hoping to hit things with it, for instance with Swordfighting you unlocked and upgraded many skills as you leveled up and talked to NPCs that could teach you new stuff:
With Level 2 you got a Counterattack that did work if you timed it right with the RMB (and you were standing close enough).
With Level 3 you got sidestrokes, with which you could attack an enemy from both sides by pressing A or D while attacking.
With Level 4 you got longer Strike Combos.
With Level 5 you got Faster Attacks and yet another longer Strike Combo.
With Level 6 you could wield a Bastard Sword as an One-Handed Weapon and use a shield with it.
With Level 7 you got a Power Strike which did lots of Damage and broke the Parry of your enemy by holding LMB to charge (one of the most helpful things).
With Level 8 you got a Saving Blow that broke enemies Counter and used it against them if timed right.
With Level 9 you could wield a 2-Handed sword as One-Handed Weapon and use a shield with it.
With Level 10 you got infinitely long Strike Combos.

I actually really enjoyed combat in Risen (the first one that is).

The biggest issue with Elex combat from what I've seen is the hit detection is off, and also the combat doesn't feel very responsive. The latter part might improve with more levels/skills.

PrettyDeadman

The blinding effect when you enter/leave buildings and whatnot is ridiculous. Feels like the game was made by mole people.
It's nice to see a game which accomodates for mole people players needs!

:incloosive:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The combat is clunky, but the exploration/world feels like a true PB title.
What exactly is "clunky" about it? I finally got the game, but the physical copy is arriving later today and I keep hearing this but people don't seem to explain what they mean by it.

I remember people said that Risen combat was "clunky", but most of them somehow didn't realize that you weren't supposed to do expert attacks with a metal rod right at the beginning of the game and it was purposefully "clunky" that you just swung it around you hoping to hit things with it, for instance with Swordfighting you unlocked and upgraded many skills as you leveled up and talked to NPCs that could teach you new stuff:
With Level 2 you got a Counterattack that did work if you timed it right with the RMB (and you were standing close enough).
With Level 3 you got sidestrokes, with which you could attack an enemy from both sides by pressing A or D while attacking.
With Level 4 you got longer Strike Combos.
With Level 5 you got Faster Attacks and yet another longer Strike Combo.
With Level 6 you could wield a Bastard Sword as an One-Handed Weapon and use a shield with it.
With Level 7 you got a Power Strike which did lots of Damage and broke the Parry of your enemy by holding LMB to charge (one of the most helpful things).
With Level 8 you got a Saving Blow that broke enemies Counter and used it against them if timed right.
With Level 9 you could wield a 2-Handed sword as One-Handed Weapon and use a shield with it.
With Level 10 you got infinitely long Strike Combos.

I actually really enjoyed combat in Risen.

The biggest issue with Elex combat from what I've seen is the hit detection is off, and the combat doesn't feel very responsive. The latter part might improve with more levels/skills.
Yeah combat is not very good, hate it when enemy charge and endup killing me even if they are 5 meters form me. Also shooting with bow is not very good, my arrows constantly fly trough the enemy. And it is not like in Gothic 3 when even if the arrow past trough he enemy,you still can kill him with the next. Most enemies here are arrow sponges.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The blinding effect when you enter/leave buildings and whatnot is ridiculous. Feels like the game was made by mole people.
I think it might be a way to hide despawning exterior assests.

Yeah, it's definitely a loading "effect".

Does anyone get really dark buildings when you first enter them as well? I'm guessing it's for the same reason.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Does anyone get really dark buildings when you first enter them as well? I'm guessing it's for the same reason.
I think that is an effect to simulate your eyes getting used to darkness and light.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

I think that is an effect to simulate your eyes getting used to darkness and light.

Makes sense, though it seems a bit extreme.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Soooo does anyone knows about the "suggestion" skill? I constantly encounter it in dialogue but cant find it in the skill trees.

Elex

Arbiter
Also, is anyone else here getting the impression that damage resistance rises automatically with level? It's so hard to tell wtf increasing things actually does since resistances and HP aren't listed anywhere ffs.
this sound like the classical gothic HP progression.

at level zero/one you have something like 40 hp and the character get around 20 hp each level or something similar.

in early levels you get 3x 4x your starting hp pretty fast.

also armor is a strong stat that reduce a flat amount of damage so more armor mean almost immunity from certain enemies until reach a minimal damage per hit (and you get 50 orcs smashing the nameless hero and only inflict 5 damage because he wear paladin armor)

so wearing some armor amulet/ring can drastically increase damage resistance more than starting armors.

non faction armor also don't have elemental/magic resistance and early faction armor have low elemental/magic resistance and that mean certain enemy that use stuff like flamethrowers and radioactive stuff will apparently deal more damage until you find a "mage armor"

the same apply for enemy "going full strenght" so you can easily kill certain early enemy and get better hidden cave loot is a good bet in pb games.

recent risen games was less drastic with that while gothic 1/2 was extremely drastic.

when i watched some let's play i noticed many enemy basically immune to player damage like a troll that is a tipical monster with tons of armor

so i suppose that elex use an armor/HP systel closer to gothic.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Soooo does anyone knows about the "suggestion" skill? I constantly encounter it in dialogue but cant find it in the skill trees.

It's in the cleric skill tree iirc

Jinn

Arcane
I am sad to report that there is daily respawning going on. The good news is that the monsters are usually weaker than their original counterpart, and also easily avoided. You'd also have to put serious hours into grinding these respawned enemies to make any headway in leveling up. Only a fool would do that when there is so much other content to take advantage of.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I found soft toilet paper. It is way better than regular old toilet paper. It gives my clerk dingle berries.

I'm safe selling all items market valuables and junk - they aren't ever used in crafting, right?

Astral Rag

Arcane
3 hours in and last time I played such a decent RPG was New Vegas 10 years ago. :salute:

ullaqld.jpg

Elex

Arbiter
I am sad to report that there is daily respawning going on. The good news is that the monsters are usually weaker than their original counterpart, and also easily avoided. You'd also have to put serious hours into grinding these respawned enemies to make any headway in leveling up. Only a fool would do that when there is so much other content to take advantage of.
well at least there is no need of rushing certain skill like "animal thropy"
you are sure is not a respawn based on certain quest?

Jinn

Arcane
well at least there is no need of rushing certain skill like "animal thropy"
you are sure is not a respawn based on certain quest?

Pretty sure, but I haven't tested it extensively or anything. I'll get back with whatever I noticed in the future.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
how is the game on resources? If Witcher 3 had barely 20 FPS can I play this?

At fixed 30 I would imagine.

How are people finding guns later into the game? The bows seem pretty aids just from the start, way too much going on there to describe them but the feel is pretty bad. If guns/ranged weapons had a good feel I'd love to have a simple combat model if/when I throw a fit about the melee hitboxes and just ragequit melee combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom