Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Geckabor

Savant
Alright, after leaving it to download overnight I think I'm ready for ELEX! Just one question for those that have started: Is the default difficulty recommendable or should everything be turned up to the highest possible?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Combat in Elex is not janky ! It's the only real time turn based combat in a rpg game !

Paul_cz

Arcane
So does the scifi/fantasy/post-apo work together without feeling moronic? I am still not sure about it.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
One thing that's odd is when you go somewhere or pick something up you get a quest update and XP without any obvious explanation. You have to look in the completed quest tab to see what happened and it really doesn't make any sense. It makes me feel like there is a correct order to doing things and I'm not following it.

Jinn

Arcane
So does the scifi/fantasy/post-apo work together without feeling moronic? I am still not sure about it.

I've spent most of my time with the Berserkers, but the bit of crossover I've experienced has been fun and interesting. It's particularly cool to see how the different approaches to life on Magalan (post-apoc, fantasy, and sci-fi) kind of encroach on one another's territory. It's not only apparent through their philosophies, but it's reflected by the environment as well. Interesting to see Outlaws stalking around Edan, as well as coming across some Albs blasting mutants by a sci-fi monolithic processing facility that has been overrun. It's DIFFERENT.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Even the falling "animation" has that Gothic feel, where you fall in the same pose and after you land he just crouches a little, no movement above the hips.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Am I the only person who feels that combat is not clunky?

I just started playing it, made it to my first village, and the fights so far are trivial, and I am playing on Ultra, granted I die in 2-3 hits from anything, but parrying seems to negate all damage so far.

I love the (actual) open world. Can't wait to find all kinds of crazy shit by exploring.

Doktor Best

Arcane
3) This game was released for consoles with a preload prior to the non-preload release of the civilized PC. This shows that PB, as was obvious from their Gothic days, is and wants to be a console only dev, with the PC as the monkeys they just shit on. This is unacceptable and if I had anything else to play I would return this game in protest and only buy this console filth when it went on sale for $10. But I don't so I won't. But my rage is roaming frothily. Fucking savage console devs. Fuck you.
This is clearly the decision of the publisher, considering how sub-par the performance of the console versions are - PB have always shown apathy towards console port quality. Unless you think it's been their plan as a "console only dev" to create under-performing products on their "favourite" platform? They do it because they have to, when you're under a big publisher, you rarely have a say these days either.

I don't care about who made the call, just that the call was made. And yes, the certainly favor the console since it is clear and has been clear since Gothic 1. Compare any game developed with only the PC in mind and compare it to any PB game. You will see the difference between console and good.

Neither Gothic 1, nor 2 nor 3 were released for console. The first game they released for console was Risen.

Also lol at your claim that Gothic is a console game with light roleplay elements. Just shows you never really played one of the most presticious rpg series while you have time to play fucking mass effect andromeda.

Maybe it is time for you to stop trying to lecture people.

Gothic was certainly developed for the console. Even if I didn't know that to be true I'd still know it to be true. You should change your name to Dr. Wrong.

Only if you change your name to "guy who loves gay sex with angry toadpeople more than gothic"

odrzut

Arcane
I'm kinda afraid of using my tablet and jet-pack in there. They keep getting angry when I open my Ipad ELEXpad.
They got progressively more mad, but did nothing about it for 6 hours, so I think i'm safe? Also jetpack is no problem apparently :)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So it seems weapons on bandit enemies are random. Tried fighting that lone guy close to the starting point just for the kicks, reloading showed him to have 4 or 5 different weapon combinations.

Also, is anyone else here getting the impression that damage resistance rises automatically with level? It's so hard to tell wtf increasing things actually does since resistances and HP aren't listed anywhere ffs.

flyingjohn

Arcane

And this is why the game will probably flop.
This guy complains about ai and bugs yet gives fallout 4 a buy rating.
I am starting to see why game are companies abandoning "game journalist" and going for you tube twich streamers.

Doma

Augur

And this is why the game will probably flop.
This guy complains about ai and bugs yet gives fallout 4 a buy rating.
I am starting to see why game are companies abandoning "game journalist" and going for you tube twich streamers.

That guys is actually pretty positive. He says its a great game, just the usual PB clunk like AI, controls and Sound gets in the way.

He pretty much recommends the game compared to other critics.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
3) This game was released for consoles with a preload prior to the non-preload release of the civilized PC. This shows that PB, as was obvious from their Gothic days, is and wants to be a console only dev, with the PC as the monkeys they just shit on. This is unacceptable and if I had anything else to play I would return this game in protest and only buy this console filth when it went on sale for $10. But I don't so I won't. But my rage is roaming frothily. Fucking savage console devs. Fuck you.
This is clearly the decision of the publisher, considering how sub-par the performance of the console versions are - PB have always shown apathy towards console port quality. Unless you think it's been their plan as a "console only dev" to create under-performing products on their "favourite" platform? They do it because they have to, when you're under a big publisher, you rarely have a say these days either.

I don't care about who made the call, just that the call was made. And yes, the certainly favor the console since it is clear and has been clear since Gothic 1. Compare any game developed with only the PC in mind and compare it to any PB game. You will see the difference between console and good.

Neither Gothic 1, nor 2 nor 3 were released for console. The first game they released for console was Risen.

Also lol at your claim that Gothic is a console game with light roleplay elements. Just shows you never really played one of the most presticious rpg series while you have time to play fucking mass effect andromeda.

Maybe it is time for you to stop trying to lecture people.

Gothic was certainly developed for the console. Even if I didn't know that to be true I'd still know it to be true. You should change your name to Dr. Wrong.

Only if you change your name to "guy who loves gay sex with angry toadpeople more than gothic"

I'm not following. This reference is over my head. Would you please explain?

Jinn

Arcane
Also, is anyone else here getting the impression that damage resistance rises automatically with level? It's so hard to tell wtf increasing things actually does since resistances and HP aren't listed anywhere ffs.

This is my number one problem with the game right now. It would make sense if the design was geared towards an intuitive and ambiguous character progression like a straight action game, but no, everything is very much so rooted in number. What the fuck. Hope it's fixed really soon.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
w3izDfY.jpg

LET THE LIGHT OF ELEX ILLUMINATE YOU BROTHERS, STEP INTO THE LIGHT AND JOIN US, IN ELEX.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gotta say, I enjoyed the hour I played last night.

The combat is clunky, but the exploration/world feels like a true PB title.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
There are Cleric skill checks in the Berserker town. Is it possible to run all the way to the clerics at level 1?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
There are Cleric skill checks in the Berserker town. Is it possible to run all the way to the clerics at level 1?

Yes, they have a small base next to the area where you collect the five cleric weapons. They are very friendly and welcome strangers with open arms. Their name tags say reavers or something like that but don't let it fool you.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Fuck all of you guys being positive about it. I was convinced to wait for sale due to my backlog but I will have hard time resisting.

Don't you dare posting some nice ultra high-res screenshots.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Does anyone know what the suggestion skill is,and where to find it? I have Charisma of 5 and still can't use it in dialogue. Wouldn't mind some help here.

Dexter

Arcane
The combat is clunky, but the exploration/world feels like a true PB title.
What exactly is "clunky" about it? I finally got the game, but the physical copy is arriving later today and I keep hearing this but people don't seem to explain what they mean by it.

I remember people said that Risen combat was "clunky", but most of them somehow didn't realize that you weren't supposed to do expert attacks with a metal rod right at the beginning of the game and it was purposefully "clunky" that you just swung it around you hoping to hit things with it, for instance with Swordfighting you unlocked and upgraded many skills as you leveled up and talked to NPCs that could teach you new stuff:
With Level 2 you got a Counterattack that did work if you timed it right with the RMB (and you were standing close enough).
With Level 3 you got sidestrokes, with which you could attack an enemy from both sides by pressing A or D while attacking.
With Level 4 you got longer Strike Combos.
With Level 5 you got Faster Attacks and yet another longer Strike Combo.
With Level 6 you could wield a Bastard Sword as an One-Handed Weapon and use a shield with it.
With Level 7 you got a Power Strike which did lots of Damage and broke the Parry of your enemy by holding LMB to charge (one of the most helpful things).
With Level 8 you got a Saving Blow that broke enemies Counter and used it against them if timed right.
With Level 9 you could wield a 2-Handed sword as One-Handed Weapon and use a shield with it.
With Level 10 you got infinitely long Strike Combos.

Last edited:

odrzut

Arcane
The blinding effect when you enter/leave buildings and whatnot is ridiculous. Feels like the game was made by mole people.

It's to hide loading times, right? Like door opening in TW2? Gives time to switch models to high-poly versions when you enter a building.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom