Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
What's the UI thing in the lower left corner with vertical bar in the middle of the horizontal bar? It fills up when i swing weapon, but it's not stamina that's in the upper left corner, near the health bar. So what is it?
Combo bar. If it is half full you can make a strong attack using Q.

Nice, but not nice that it wasn't explained in tutorial. I've seen that Q is for "special attacks" but never tried it on enemies[my bar never go even half full, because enemy would hit me before that on ultra diff].

it's explained.. it was for me when we were attacked by 2-3 creatures near the first teleporter you come across.

IIRC i've only got the messages about "attack/E" combo. Must have closed the window prematurely before reading. But the tooltips were fucking annoying popping during combat lot of times, until you've done what they've told you to do,so i might mindlessly closed one from irritation.

And i expect that next patch WILL adress the issue of rolling with double tap of WSAD keys. ITS annoying as hell.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
How treacherous is the journey to the Clerics volcano base? I can't stand these savages that get angry when I use my kickass jetpack

odrzut

Arcane
So, walking around is dangerous, even though you have jetpack. Exploration actually feels like you earned it. Seems to me once you have ranged weapon it will be much easier, because there's some place to jetpack to every few hundred meters.

Quests are somewhere between Skyrim and Witcher, but closer to Skyrim. But the companion quest for Duran was interesting. Still they should do what Witcher series did with dialogue choices - make the consequences delayed, so you can't simply load a quicksave from 10 seconds before.

And yeah there are "give me 50 of these" quests.

Also - the barbarians weren't angry at me for using jetpack, just for the pipboy clone.

Anyway, going to sleep, already 3 AM :(

Last edited:

youhomofo

Augur
So how are the Outlaws? I get that the Berserkers are technophobic mages and the Cleric dudes have laz0rs and mechs. I like the sound of Outlaws. What makes them stand out? Do they have phat guns? Spells? Or what?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
How treacherous is the journey to the Clerics volcano base? I can't stand these savages that get angry when I use my kickass jetpack

Yeah fuck these homo rapists, doing their lurid pelvic thrusts at the innocent newcomer.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
UI is heavy on the console side, which isn't good. Still lots of categories so it's easy to find where stuff go. Lack of miniature icons though makes it hard to pinpoint the stuff with just a glance. Minimap is useless[since there's no topography displayed], especially in cities, have to constantly open map by pressing M. Lots of stuff to pickup, i don't like a games that are garbage collector simulator, i hope all items that i pickup are somehow usefull. Good thing though, that it seems there's no carry limit so you can pickup all stuff and not to be concerned with stashing it somewhere.

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
UI is heavy on the console side, which isn't good. Still lots of categories so it's easy to find where stuff go. Lack of miniature icons though makes it hard to pinpoint the stuff with just a glance. Minimap is useless, especially in cities, have to constantly open map by pressing M. Lots of stuff to pickup, i don't like a games that are garbage collector simulator, i hope all items that i pickup are somehow usefull. Good thing though, that it seems there's no carry limit so you can pickup all stuff and not to be concerned with stashing it somewhere.

All the misc. items have their own categories, I would imagine valuables and junk at least you can just pawn off whenever convenient.

Assuming there's no douchebag questgiver that wants you to collect 50 spoons, of course.

Jinn

Arcane
Alright, I've played for about 6 hours, so I'd like to give some quick initial impressions.

- Movement and controls are pretty much exactly how I'd imagine they'd be. I like how it feels, and has me feeling quite nostalgic for trotting over the lands of Khorinis. The movement can certainly be awkward at times, but overall the game moves well. This includes use of the jet pack, which I have enjoyed far more than I thought I would.

- Exploration feels full and rewarding. There are all sorts of little areas that were beautifully handcrafted for the chance that the player might find them. Itemization has been nice too.

- A lot of people are going to find fault with the combat, but I've been enjoying it's challenges and general feel a lot. Only used melee weapons so far, so it could vary in quality a fair bit. Clearly one of the weaker parts of the game, but not nearly as bad as it looks or has been made out to be.

- Love the stat system and how many skills there are. It's not too many to make them seem trivial either. You can tell right away that if you're playing on a harder difficulty, you're going to need to have an idea of where you want your character progression to be going. Really impressed by that.

- Likewise, equipment requirements are present in their full glory. I've always enjoyed having stat requirements for equipment, as it adds another layer of your planned character progression, and the rewarding feeling you receive when you can finally equip that badass twohander.
- Have already noticed a good amount of varied skill checks present in dialogues. True :incline:

- Early game economy seems really good. You have to work hard for you money, and you'll spend it just as fast. Always a good sign. I have no indication that this will change as you get further, but chances are it will.

- Have explored most of the Berserker camp and am really happy with the "lived-in" feeling it has. This place has been in operation long before you arrived, and it certainly feels like it.

- Haven't been able to play around with other factions yet, but there seems to be a lot of freedom to play many different sides for a long time until you decide who you want to become chummy with (or not).

- Quest markers on the world map are defaulted to OFF, and that is a great thing. Quests are nicely contextualized within conversations, and you are given directions or land markers if someone sends you somewhere specific. AWESOME!

- Aesthetically, I find the world to be interesting and often times beautiful to look at. Great world building so far.

- Music is hard to comment on this early. I've only heard a few tracks. They have served well in creating a good atmosphere, but lack some of the more melodic pieces that I've been spoiled with by Kai in the past. I like it, but don't love it so far.

- Ingame HUD and Menu UI are a couple of the worst things about the game so far, but it's manageable. Much preferred the HP/MP/Stamina bar look from the early Alpha.

- Game can be brutal in the best possible way!

And that's all for now. Sounds overwhelmingly positive, right? Well, for me it has been. I'm probably biased as a big pre-Risen 2/3 PB fan, but these past 6 hours have actually been better than I expected. We'll see if that can hold up in the coming hours.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Jinn
Are there some skills/perks/abilities activated by button that would make more special attacks with melee weapons[and even better if attached to diff weapon types, like axes, maces, swords]? Time based cooldown, or stamina/mana based? Or only magic users have spells/abilities?

Edit: Oh and i can already see a lot of grind to get necessary amount of elex to pay trainers and buy stuff. Will see if the amount of grind is obscene or reasonable, and if the rewards are satisfactory and worth it.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
My initial impression, and the only relevant initial impression-

Good
1) The first non monkey combat fight I had was against these two animal things when I decided to check out the trapped clerics. The guy ran into the building with one, and I had the other. It took my a bunch of reloads to figure combat out, and on the normal difficulty level it is far better than Dark Souls and took me much longer to figure out. I reloaded probably 10 times until it clicked. It loads very fast so that is nice too. I died to quickly to realize the fucking exclamation icon meant I was out of stamina, which is the green circle around the hp bar. Then it just comes down to not getting hit while stamina regens, which is tricky since parry regens it slowly and at least at base doesn't deflect much damage, and diving costs stamina.
2) The chardev seems to have some promise. There are lots of choices, and the faction differences in abilities seem pretty significant. I don't know what scale the attributes are on, or how they go, or what max level is, but so far so good, besides the attributes not really having much oompf when you raise them (or so it seems so far).
3) Controls are way better than Gothic.
4) You can rebind a good amount of keys.
5) Itemization seems important and well done from the limited amount I've seen so far.
6) Different enemies require different tactics.
7) So far the rpg systems have been pretty meaty, and everything is far superior and far improved from the rpg-lite Gothics, from combat to controls to all the rpg systems.

Bad
1) I can't rebind all the keys, and a lot of important ones are bound to the most annoying out of the way buttons like backspace and enter. To add insult to injury the keymapping is still based off of the savage layout of whatever savage country this game was made in. If you try and rebind something to tilde it gives you savage hieroglyphics with squiggles and wavey lines the native savages use to communicate, and worse, the key doesn't do anything either.
2) I rebound alt as the sprint key, because I'm civilized, and in the native savage land this game was created in alt is also the windows key, so my cursor pops up whenever I sprint.
3) This game was released for consoles with a preload prior to the non-preload release of the civilized PC. This shows that PB, as was obvious from their Gothic days, is and wants to be a console only dev, with the PC as the monkeys they just shit on. This is unacceptable and if I had anything else to play I would return this game in protest and only buy this console filth when it went on sale for $10. But I don't so I won't. But my rage is roaming frothily. Fucking savage console devs. Fuck you.
4) This game was clearly developed as a console game and has very shitty UI and the inability to completely control my actions with rebindable keys makes it way more annoying than it could be.
5) There is no superficial character customization so like with other shitty console games you are stuck with what the devs think you should look like, which in this game is a rundown kindly clerk. This guy should not be adventuring. He should be asking Marge for this week's numbers to enter into the system as he thinks bout how comfortable his sneaker-shoes are, or faux-shoes, or whatever the sneakers that look like dress shoes are called. The only good points are his voice is way less Canadian and gay than the new ME:A guy's voice and he does not have an emo haircut. He also isn't wearing peter pan skinny pants like a fucking piece of shit. He is very pail and pasty white. What do console kids have against me being able to make a normal looking person who I want to play? I don't understand.

Jinn

Arcane
Are there some skills/perks/abilities activated by button that would make more special attacks with melee weapons[and even better if attached to diff weapon types, like axes, maces, swords]? Time based cooldown, or stamina/mana based? Or only magic users have spells/abilities?

I think the majority of that stuff is handled with trainer skills, but I'm not sure. Still familiarizing myself with everything.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

I think the majority of that stuff is handled with trainer skills, but I'm not sure. Still familiarizing myself with everything.

Yes, but you are still left with just basic "fast swing/E/Q" mashing combat for melee weapons. No skills, no activatables, no weapon type based abilities. Seems pretty limited that you will just have basic attacks with melee weapons until the end of the game.

Jinn

Arcane
Yes, but you are still left with just basic "fast swing/E/Q" mashing combat for melee weapons. No skills, no activatables, no weapon type based abilities. Seems pretty limited that you will just have basic attacks with melee weapons until the end of the game.

Ah, I get what you're saying. I can't say for sure, but I remember hearing at some point that you do get special attacks for your melee weapons as you progress.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
3) This game was released for consoles with a preload prior to the non-preload release of the civilized PC. This shows that PB, as was obvious from their Gothic days, is and wants to be a console only dev, with the PC as the monkeys they just shit on. This is unacceptable and if I had anything else to play I would return this game in protest and only buy this console filth when it went on sale for $10. But I don't so I won't. But my rage is roaming frothily. Fucking savage console devs. Fuck you.
This is clearly the decision of the publisher, considering how sub-par the performance of the console versions are - PB have always shown apathy towards console port quality. Unless you think it's been their plan as a "console only dev" to create under-performing products on their "favourite" platform? They do it because they have to, when you're under a big publisher, you rarely have a say these days either.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I got high on Elex.
YBkX.jpg

YBkZ.jpg

I have to say this spent the last six hours nailing this thing, and I honestly feel overwhelmed with the amount of content which is a good thing. Combat is difficult in certain spots that I have went to. Being chased by a single monster back into a city to get there help was sure fun.

I really don't see the negative issues, no crashes, and no major bugs here so far. Just a fun game shurgs

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm 2 hours in, so not too long into the game, but so far I really enjoy it. Still have to get used to the combat, the combo attacks throws me off a bit. I got to the first city and man, the game feels alive old school Piranha Bytes style. Walked into a tavern and it felt busy, people leaving, eating and chatting about relevant things in the world. Graphics are good for what it is and it runs like a dream on my GTX 1060. I have everything on high and hovers between 70-80 FPS so far. Story seems interesting but a bit weird. It seems ELEX made everyone a bit eccentric :)

One question though!

How do you see your health stats? I have increased constitution but I have no idea on what my actual health is!

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
This is clearly the decision of the publisher, considering how sub-par the performance of the console versions are - PB have always shown apathy towards console port quality. Unless you think it's been their plan as a "console only dev" to create under-performing products on their "favourite" platform? They do it because they have to, when you're under a big publisher, you rarely have a say these days either.

I don't care about who made the call, just that the call was made. And yes, the certainly favor the console since it is clear and has been clear since Gothic 1. Compare any game developed with only the PC in mind and compare it to any PB game. You will see the difference between console and good.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm kinda afraid of using my tablet and jet-pack in there. They keep getting angry when I open my Ipad ELEXpad.

Doktor Best

Arcane

I don't care about who made the call, just that the call was made. And yes, the certainly favor the console since it is clear and has been clear since Gothic 1. Compare any game developed with only the PC in mind and compare it to any PB game. You will see the difference between console and good.

Neither Gothic 1, nor 2 nor 3 were released for console. The first game they released for console was Risen.

Also lol at your claim that Gothic is a console game with light roleplay elements. Just shows you never really played one of the most presticious rpg series while you have time to play fucking mass effect andromeda.

Maybe it is time for you to stop trying to lecture people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom