Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The review scores are so bad that it's hard to understand if it's only because most people are used to hand-holding or because the game is also shit apart from being old school (aka "the Grimoire phenomenon")

JDR13

Arcane
Pirahna Bytes haven't made a good game since Risen so I think my concerns over Elex are justified. I won't be judging it based on game reviews - fuck game reviews - but I won't be buying it until I see some impressions on here from people I respect.

Nah.. Risen 2&3 had their moments. My biggest complaint was that they were too easy, but they weren't shit or anything.

PrettyDeadman

The review scores are so bad that it's hard to understand if it's only because most people are used to hand-holding or because the game is also shit apart from being old school (aka "the Grimoire phenomenon")
You can usually tell if person is retarded or not if you read the review.
Also, grimoire is not shit, it's great.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can't read french reviews :P
But ok we're talking about scores like 2 and 3 out of 10 which indicates there might be significant technical issues in the game or some really broken mechanics.. Exactly like Grimoire....

*I will reserve my judgement until prestigious codex individuals play the game

PrettyDeadman

Can't read french reviews :P
But ok we're talking about scores like 2 and 3 out of 10 which indicates there might be significant technical issues in the game or some really broken mechanics.. Exactly like Grimoire....

*I will reserve my judgement until prestigious codex individuals play the game
If the score is 2 or 3 you don't even have to know french to tell that those french reviewers are retarded. It's pretty obvious that ELEX is not 2 or 3 unless it is being judged by a retard in rage induced coma after he had a fit about game not being assassin's creed or something.

I don't think the review scores are hard to get at all. People expect to be held by the hand and push the awesome button for 50 hours while watching the newest Netflix series on their 2nd monitor.

I've no doubt that Elex has made a lot of concessions to new design sensibilities, but it's never enough for these people - if the game doesn't constantly positively reinforce their Pavlovian rodent prefrontal cortex with cheap stimuli, it's shit 3/10.

Note that this isn't a defense of Elex at all - it might be shit for all I know; but this is a pattern that repeats itself. People don't want to play games that challenge them anymore, in any way.

Also, Grimoire is fucking great.

Jarmaro

Liturgist

This video was most shocking thing I've ever watched about gaming. When I was playing R3 I thought this game is retarded... beceause it hadn't got ANY difficulty. If I din't know who he was, I'd think he is mentally retarded.
I farmed entire islands with basic equipment, I spammed to death everything. It was one of the easiest games I've ever played.

ortucis

Prophet
40 mins left to unlock here.

Also, kinda obvious from reviews so far, that these reviewers are the types that think Mass Effect series has challenging combat and AMAZING game world with best leveling up system ever created (you know, how series progressed and it became simpler and simpler to accommodate every retard playing ME). These retards make up the audience for people like Jim Sterling, demanding lower difficulty in games like Cuphead as well.

Most of us who are waiting for this game haven't even started posting reviews on places like Steam and Metacritic as well. You will see the REAL changes in scores after we are all done playing.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

This video was most shocking thing I've ever watched about gaming. When I was playing R3 I thought this game is retarded... beceause it hadn't got ANY difficulty. If I din't know who he was, I'd think he is mentally retarded.
I farmed entire islands with basic equipment, I spammed to death everything. It was one of the easiest games I've ever played.

Ironman?

Also how do you know angry joe isn't retarded?

Tigranes

Arcane
Of course. "Challenging" means "really easy but with just the right illusion that my superpower handsome but also brooding loner popular with the ladies' penis beam may not destroy all the enemies at once", while "stupid hard" is any kind of difficulty that makes them stop pressing buttons for a moment and think. What they really want is for every game to give them the same masturbatory curve.

Jinn

Arcane
Just wanted to do a quick re-post of something I posted in July for any newcomers to this thread. This consideration is a part of why I was able to look at ELEX with fresh eyes. Just feel it's relevant when people use R2 and R3 as absolute examples of why PB is beyond redemption.

I understand people's skepticism with Piranha Bytes and ELEX. Risen 2 & 3 were clearly garbage shadows of the past glory of the studio, and I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise.

What people who shit on ELEX don't seem to understand is that the studio was also going through major changes and challenges during the development of those games. Piranha Bytes had a tumultuous and dysfunctional relationship with their publisher of the time, Deep Silver. They had a three game contract with them that they had to fullfil, and Deep Silver was forcing them to go in a direction with the games that they didn't want, and knew that their fans didn't want. This is why a lot of the charm of earlier titles was absent: because that charm didn't appeal to a wider audience. Piranha Bytes have even stated that they didn't enjoy working with Deep Silver and have since changed to a publisher that will give them the freedom to make a game they actually want to make. In regards to how many people from the past era are still present at Piranha Bytes: as far as I know 12 out of the 25 employees at the studio worked on at least Gothic II.

It's easy to look at a few screenshots and a 12 minute trailer that only shows combat and say that the game will be shit, but if you look a little further and check out the 3 hour preview and actually watch some of the gameplay, you'll quickly begin to see a lot of that former charm and love has been applied to ELEX. Exploration, world design, factions, character interactions, satisfying equipment progression, reputation system, player progression, and even trainers are all in. Yes, the combat doesn't look like the most amazing aspect, but if you enjoy the overall way combat is done in Gothic I and II, I don't see how you would dislike what you see. There are powerful enemies everywhere that will wipe the floor with you, You have to think tactically about your engagements and sometimes lure enemies away from one another. You have to understand how to sometimes keep your distance in battles. These are all things that I love about Gothic combat, and I see all of them present in one way or another in ELEX.

I don't think any Gothic fan really wants that much actual innovation at this point. We want to see something that calls back to those great games we all remember and love. ELEX is definitely a game for Gothic fans.

ortucis

Prophet
So, this is the third game I preordered (other are Witcher 2 and 3), and it's all because of you. If it sucks you owe me.

If it sucks, then you're getting a free blowjob from a GOTY called ELEX.

You should be happy, 2 for 1 deal here.

Also, 9 mins left.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

B1A.gif

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Can't wait to see all your impressions, the moment you realize how shit this game is.
Btw, there are people actaully people who think gothic 3 is a good game. I despise you.
Even if yes, waiting for this game was more exciting then Orcs from the Box, or Wicher3. For me of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom