Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantom Brigade - Frozen Synapse with mechs

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://braceyourselfgames.com/phantom-brigade/

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/phantom-brigade/home

At least, it is their punchline (or should be), as they promise tactical turn based battles with mechs, base building, and a strategic layer.
http://tetragonworks.com/
The lead developer worked on Kerbal Space Program and Universe Sandbox before. The game seems to use a lot of procedural generation.
The game promises a lot of customization and terrain destruction.

Image Dump:
pax2.jpg

pax3.jpg

pax31.jpg

Compared to BattleTech, the main differences would be:

- Smaller mechs (6m high)
- Focus on base building
- Action Point based game

The UI we can see on the screenshot seems pretty helpful(AP indicator...).

The few devlog entries were pretty interesting.

On TigSource

Latest video devlog:

Last edited by a moderator:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The game takes place in an alternative reality setting and tells the story of a resistance force fighting the occupation of their homeland. You have walker platforms (mechs) at your disposal, which can be customized down to the smallest detail: from weapon loadouts to individual armor pieces, from paint and camouflage to performance tuning.
Known characters are "Ingrid Lund" (Player controlled) and "Hilde Jonsdottir" (enemy)
So what is the plot here? Iceland invades Sweden and you control the Swedish resistance forces?

Anyway, this looks really interesting.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That UI is too big with too much shit on the screen at the same time.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Honestly, any game with giant robots will make me at least take a look at it.

X-COM-like strategy game? Definitely interested in seeing where this goes.

Jinn

Arcane
Damn, this looks like a PC version of a more complex Front Mission. Looks cool as hell.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Looks interesting. I like the detailed destruction on the mechs etc. Too many games of all sorts of genres forego that sort of thing and thus make their combat feel less satisfying.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
It has 2-digit APs! :bounce:

But seriously, my interest is piqued. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the mechanics. Hopefully they go for simulated ballistics (though what are the chances).

ArchAngel

Arcane
It has 2-digit APs! :bounce:

But seriously, my interest is piqued. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the mechanics. Hopefully they go for simulated ballistics (though what are the chances).
You mean 3 digit?

Cross

Arcane
I was expecting a nuXCOM clone when I saw the topic title, but this looks like it could be something special.

Suicidal

Arcane
I always wanted a game that's basically a mix of Front Mission and X-Com. We're getting Battletech, and now this. Was there ever a Kickstarter or some other fundraiser for this game? It looks great but it's worrisome that it's getting barely any exposure - the youtube vids about this game have 2k views at most.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't really have a hard on for mechs, but the game seems interesting anyway. The UI clashes with the rest, yes, but I'd suspect that is bound to change.
Subscribed to their newsletter.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Looks pretty good if that's just early builds of it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been watching a short LP and what it shows looks much better than Battletech to be honest. Especially the combat. Like for an example trees actually is an object on the map and can and will stop bullets.

The running animations looks a bit retarded though with the arms swinging around.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Buy it before they get sued by Harmony Gold. :D

Mechanics look interesting, will definitely watch this.

Just the mechs themselves look kinda bleh, like a nondescript lump of something generic, can't even tell where one part ends and another begins.

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
They need to hire a japanese or at least just copy some old front mission mech desings, those mechwarrior legos are ugly as sin.

slide-frontm3.jpg

Really, go for a swag robot, not a pretentious bypedal tank.

Good gameplay, nice use of the enviroment, but what about the melee? No shields?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom