Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Archibald

Arcane
Why would you want to buy something that is with DRM? And get lesser experience than torrenting?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why would you want to buy something that is with DRM? And get lesser experience than torrenting?
There are a lot of steam-exclusive games out there, mostly smaller indie titles*. In my opinion, there's no real advantage for buying steam, except maybe quick patch releases (some GOG releases take forever to get a patch through, for whatever reason) and multiplayer.

*Though, most of them were easily cracked and are able to torrent.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
GOG is pretty weird alright. I mean why would I want to buy something that is DRM free? I can just torrent the GOG installers and get exactly the same experience as paying customers.

Why would you buy ANY game then? You can pirate almost anything.

Some of us just pay for stuff we buy in stores and shops. Weird, I know. As for why GOG and not Steam. Mainly because I want to support the company which created a store which has almost all of the Classic games of old on it. Also it is more convenient sharing my GOG library with my brother or with a friend.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would you buy ANY game then? You can pirate almost anything.
I prefer original versions above all else. No hacks, no repacks, no bullshit.

For older games you're better off with a CD/DVD version, for newer ones it's Steam (and sometimes Origin), so that's what I actually buy.

I couldn't give two fucks about legal issues or some moral high ground. Why would I buy Quake 1 on GOG when they were dumb enough to not know what is pregap and all the music tracks are cut off by 2 seconds. Your typical GOG game is often just a rip of the original retail + a scene crack and maybe some simple DDraw/Glide wrapper and/or a fan made patch so it works for your average Joe with his shitty Windows 7 laptop.

I'm a bit of a collector, I have a lot of 90's games, perfect, verified CD images, which I can install and patch myself. I don't want to trust some random pollack from GOG to do this for me and take my money in process.

Steam on the other hand is a completely different beast. You get access to all builds of a game, old and new, all untampered, multiplayer and workshop support, and you can install a game in minutes. So that's why I own 700+ games on Steam.

GOG business model is also incredibly stupid. There should be SOME incentive for actually buying into the system, not just because you want to be a good boy. But as it stands:

Buy a game on GOG = get an .exe package that you manually download and manually install
Pirate a GOG game = get an .exe package that you manually download and manually install

So why spend the money? Just for bragging rights? And GOG is really shitty with updates, you have to redownload the whole thing again, while Steam just patches DIFFs in background while you're jerking off to some girl's gaping asshole.
It's not like Steam is perfect in this regard. I have games (like Majesty Gold HD) which runs like shit on Steam, but the GOG version is perfect. I don't know what kind of versions do GOG have, all I know that all of their games worked for me, and I appreciate that. I'm sorry if you had problems with GOG games, thankfully I never encountered any.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There should be SOME incentive for actually buying into the system, not just because you want to be a good boy.

The incentive is owning the game legally, if you care about that, rather than renting it which is what you do with Steam.

Also, I'll never give a cent to Steam and its fat pig of an owner.

pippin

You get access to all builds of a game, old and new, all untampered,

Many games have the same builds in both GOG and Steam. And also many games available for purchase in digital stores were cracked by the publishers and given to Steam or GOG.
I don't really see much substance to your arguments, but if you were a "true" collector, you'd avoid digital distribution in every shape or form. Don't try to pull off a holier than thou image than can be blown away by a faint gust of wind.

Callisto

GOG is pretty weird alright. I mean why would I want to buy something that is DRM free? I can just torrent the GOG installers and get exactly the same experience as paying customers.

A cloud storage for old game installers? I dunno, you could torrent the whole redump database and then pay a couple of bucks to store it on MEGA or w/e. If you're a collector and/or a retro game enthusiast the GOG versions will probably not interest you that much, they're pretty much rips/repacks with various hacky fixes applied.

So yeah, my GOG/Steam ratio is like 40 to 700, lol.

Excuse me , but now i understand why did you choose a Homo Erectus Steamtardis picture for your profile .

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

A cloud storage for old game installers? I dunno, you could torrent the whole redump database and then pay a couple of bucks to store it on MEGA or w/e. If you're a collector and/or a retro game enthusiast the GOG versions will probably not interest you that much, they're pretty much rips/repacks with various hacky fixes applied.

So yeah, my GOG/Steam ratio is like 40 to 700, lol.

Excuse me , but now i understand why did you choose a Homo Erectus Steamtardis picture for your profile .
Mate if he could erectus even a wee bit he'd have uploaded that video long ago.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm a bit of a collector, I have a lot of 90's games, perfect, verified CD images, which I can install and patch myself.

You're no collector, you're just a thief. If you were a collector you would at least own the original CDs and/or boxes for those games, because that gives you a solid (and legal) foundation for most of the bullshit you've been spewing in this thread.

A lot of criticism can be aimed at GOG for their business model, but right now you're a bigger douche than they are, so you're the one getting shit-kicked around instead.

EDIT Tuesday: Well well well, look who has deleted his posts. Moderators, anything you can do about that?

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Endemic

Arcane
Cool. There weren't that many servers on Gameranger, so this is a welcome move. :)

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Ok, here is a dumb question, but whatever: Why wouldn't Steam (or EA, or MS, or Bethesda) just buy GOG? Steam may not necessarily need it, but there are a lot of bigger game purchase/download sites that need help. GoG has a shit-ton of games you can't get anywhere else, has a lot of cred, and has a pretty active community. I'll be honest, the only way I'd ever load up garbage like Origin is if they had the type of content GoG has.

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Ok, here is a dumb question, but whatever: Why wouldn't Steam (or EA, or MS, or Bethesda) just buy GOG? Steam may not necessarily need it, but there are a lot of bigger game purchase/download sites that need help. GoG has a shit-ton of games you can't get anywhere else, has a lot of cred, and has a pretty active community. I'll be honest, the only way I'd ever load up garbage like Origin is if they had the type of content GoG has.

Because CDProjekt owns it, and, most of all, because the first mission of GOG is not really to have plenty of old games, but to sell CDProjekt games without the 30% of steam or Origin. So, they aren't selling GOG to other big pubs anytime soon, unless they are also selling CDProjekt with it.

Edit : Also, this is loosely related to your question, but some forum members were invited by GOG and made this thread about it :

https://af.gog.com/forum/general/6_community_members_went_to_gog_hq/page1?as=1649904300

Just the first three points very related :
1) Economy: Financially, CD Projekt Group is doing very well. GOG is not in any kind of danger and shouldn't be for the foreseeable future.
2) DRM-Free: DRM-Free is here to stay. Even if the industry moves towards online or mixed experiences GOG will continue to offer fully offline installers and single player experiences that will not depend on any kind of network or client connection (though there might be an optional use of such capabilities, if the player wishes).
3) Market share: GOG is currently at a decent position (we did get numbers but we can't disclose them). They are not irrelevant but they also need to grow for more publishers to be invested in bringing DRM-free titles day 1 on GOG and assure updates the same time Steam is updated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
3) Market share: GOG is currently at a decent position (we did get numbers but we can't disclose them). They are not irrelevant but they also need to grow for more publishers to be invested in bringing DRM-free titles day 1 on GOG and assure updates the same time Steam is updated.

The latter part of this is a KEY element: They need to be able to keep up with Steam on the update front.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Freindly reminder to anyone who is considering of getting New Vegas: Obsidian gets exactly 0 dollars and 0 cents from this transaction.

Because they were a contractor and Bethesda paid them up front instead of a percentage of sales? A deal's a deal.

Also, who cares? It's not like they're using their money to make good games now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom