Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

flushfire

Augur
I'm just talking about melee here, but the attack animations in Risen 1 were actually alright, including the feel and sound of hits, blocks and misses. Staves were alright too, and dodging was pretty tight and responsive. Not extraordinary or anything like that, but not too shabby either. I'd even rank Risen 1 melee above TW2. Then came Risen 2 where swings seemed and hit like the PC is holding an aluminum sword or something. Risen 3's melee was an improvement, but then again anything is compared to Risen 2.

v1rus

Arcane
On the contrary, I'm the ultimate storyfag. And one of biggest Gothicfags in the world, at that. I dont know, it just looks kinda clunky. Way too clunky and choppy. Those jumps, and fake slashes.

For me, it's honestly part of the charm - love that Gothic run animation! A slower paced combat with heavy hits is definitely what I'd prefer for a game like this, and jerky, clunky animations is almost a PB staple now. It certainly doesn't excuse them, but I'm not sure how I would feel if I was playing a PB Gothic-like game with AAA animations and fluid combat. They are also still developing on the same engine they've been using for years, so that would explain it too. Regardless, what's really important to me is that the combat is actually reliant on RPG mechanics, and not just the action.

If you're one of the biggest Gothicfags in the world, such as I am, then I don't see any reason not to get this.

Well Gothic has the complete clunky estethic and look, thus it fits. Sorta how that extremely weird running animation in Morrowind help the atmosphere. But Elex has got that polished, new graphics look, and as such, the two dont seem to go together, at least for me. That aside, Gothic combat looks better to me than this, even, maybe cause I got so used to it. I mean, in Gothic, most of the times you swing your weapon left and right, then perform the combo if there is an opening. This looks different.

Then again, in 2/3 of my playthroughs through both games i joined the Fire Magicians, thus I'm probably not the expert on meelee combat.

Jinn

Arcane
Well Gothic has the complete clunky estethic and look, thus it fits. Sorta how that extremely weird running animation in Morrowind help the atmosphere. But Elex has got that polished, new graphics look, and as such, the two dont seem to go together, at least for me. That aside, Gothic combat looks better to me than this, even, maybe cause I got so used to it. I mean, in Gothic, most of the times you swing your weapon left and right, then perform the combo if there is an opening. This looks different.

Then again, in 2/3 of my playthroughs through both games i joined the Fire Magicians, thus I'm probably not the expert on meelee combat.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I still think that Gothic has better combat than this. I just think that it could be much worse and still looks like something I'll have a lot of fun playing with and being challenged by. I look forward to trying out all the different weapon and magic types through my multiple play-throughs.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Common misconception. You only think of it as "Polish" because Poland literally consists of ~50% German soil & soul.

Did you get Germany and Poland confused?

Common misconception.

Germany and Poland get mixed up a lot.
Poland and Ukraine get mixed up a lot.
Ukraine and Russia get mixed up a lot.
Russia and Mongolia get mixed up a lot.

It's one long-ass chain of confusion and firendly shenanigans.

Jinn

Arcane
Where is my preload? 3rd world internet cannot handle elex in one night and i wanna play it after work immediately.:negative:

Yeah, PB and THQ Nordic have been kind of dickish about not commenting at all about this. It's important to a lot of people. Hopefully it will be available for pre-load within the next 24 hours or so, or they will at least let people that it won't be so they can plan for that.

ortucis

Prophet
From what I saw from that stream Doma linked it looks like a good RPG with jank and pretty old graphics, the budget was probably mostly spent on actual content rather than making it look good like certain developers, this is just reinforcing my feelings from day one.

No idea why people are complaining about graphics. The only thing that bothered me in the beginning was the clash between sci-fi and medieval.. stuff.. but the graphics look really nice now. They seem to have worked really hard on polishing the game and at least, it looks varied and fun to explore, unlike Andromeda (seriously, I still can't fucking remember anything that stood out in that game).

Where is my preload? 3rd world internet cannot handle elex in one night and i wanna play it after work immediately.:negative:

Same. It's going to be out tomorrow, let us download it FFS. It'll take me like a whole day to download the damn thing.

Well, on the plus side. By the time I'm done downloading, they would've released the first patch. :lol:

Z5kfkAl.jpg

:negative:

Jinn

Arcane
No idea why people are complaining about graphics. The only thing that bothered me in the beginning was the clash between sci-fi and medieval.. stuff.. but the graphics look really nice now. They seem to have worked really hard on polishing the game and at least, it looks varied and fun to explore, unlike Andromeda (seriously, I still can't fucking remember anything that stood out in that game).

It might not be executed in the best way, but I also really like how the game looks. The environments are very pleasing to my eye, and the contours and design of them have that slightly-off-in-a-good-way look to them that Gothic 1 and 2 had. So excited to explore the world of Magalan. Also think the character models, armor, and equipment look genuinely great.

On a side note, also really enjoyed the concept art for ELEX too. I see a fair amount of it emerging successfully in the engine.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I meant from the technical side, I think this game looks great from an actual artstyle and environment feeling, but you can't deny that there are some really low res textures that look pretty awful, not that it matters too much for me because I certainly will not be running the game on highest settings since I don't meet CPU requirements by a millimeter. Strange that the game recommends 16gb of RAM memory power, I have yet to see a game that uses more than 5gb (Rust), even Larian's SJW memory leaking shitfest, D:OS2 only used 4gb at most.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

[

People aren't complaining about the graphics they're concerned about the gameplay loop being boring and dull by the standards of 2017 open worlders

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"standards" of the CURRENT YEAR "open worlders" - so much oxymorons in one such short sentence...

they are all just empty and barren sandboxes compared to any PB game (excluding Risen 2/3), not "open worlds" - and if exploration is your concern, the PB games set the golden standard for that FIFTEEN YEARS AGO, which no one ever managed to even come close to all this time, let alone set any new and/or better "standards"

P.S. not sure if trolling, or stupid

ortucis

Prophet
Strange that the game recommends 16gb of RAM memory power, I have yet to see a game that uses more than 5gb (Rust), even Larian's SJW memory leaking shitfest, D:OS2 only used 4gb at most.

I have 16 GB of ram since like 2011 on this system, but I think PB is trying to make sure that they recommend something people won't be able to bitch about. A lot of PC gamers want "NEXT GEN" graphics in games and when those "NEXT GEN" graphics don't run at 60 fps, they start whining, not realizing that the whole point of PC gaming is to customize your visuals according to your system/performance needs. So developers just list a high-end requirement just to make sure people wouldn't bitch about performance when it doesn't run at 60 fps on their systems.

People aren't complaining about the graphics they're concerned about the gameplay loop being boring and dull by the standards of 2017 open worlders

Seriously? Cause from Witcher 3, all I remember are forests, forests and more forests.. then suddenly, SNOW. ELEX has shown different varied locations in every possible shot, way more than Witcher.

Oh and, there are no 2017 standards. There weren't any 2016 standards as well. Most open world games (like Skyrim) have some of THE most generic level design. PB games in comparison always have had hand-crafted areas which you can recognize easily (like in New Vegas).

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Strange that the game recommends 16gb of RAM memory power, I have yet to see a game that uses more than 5gb (Rust), even Larian's SJW memory leaking shitfest, D:OS2 only used 4gb at most.

I have 16 GB of ram since like 2011 on this system, but I think PB is trying to make sure that they recommend something people won't be able to bitch about. A lot of PC gamers want "NEXT GEN" graphics in games and when those "NEXT GEN" graphics don't run at 60 fps, they start whining, not realizing that the whole point of PC gaming is to customize your visuals according to your system/performance needs. So developers just list a high-end requirement just to make sure people wouldn't bitch about performance when it doesn't run at 60 fps on their systems.

Seriously? Cause from Witcher 3, all I remember are forests, forests and more forests.. then suddenly, SNOW. ELEX has shown different varied locations in every possible shot, way more than Witcher.

Oh and, there are no 2017 standards. There weren't any 2016 standards as well. Most open world games (like Skyrim) have some of THE most generic level design. PB games in comparison always have had hand-crafted areas which you can recognize easily (like in New Vegas).
I actually preferred the Witcher 3 approach. It felt natural. I really always hated the theme park feeling of going from one relatively (geographically speaking) small area to another, and suddenly there's a completely different biome. I saw the map of ELEX and I thought to myself "Not this shit again". Witcher 3 at least has you travelling far between the major locations. My first thought when I saw the ELEX map was "World of Warcraft". Oblivion did pretty much the same, too.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I don't mind a diversity of biomes in a relatively small area, it's a game and many things are compressed (e.g. character development), so why not the environment as well. And even Witcher 3 compresses its environments. KC : D is the only game, which - from what I've seen - doesn't.

ortucis

Prophet
I actually preferred the Witcher 3 approach. It felt natural. I really always hated the theme park feeling of going from one relatively (geographically speaking) small area to another, and suddenly there's a completely different biome. I saw the map of ELEX and I thought to myself "Not this shit again". Witcher 3 at least has you travelling far between the major locations. My first thought when I saw the ELEX map was "World of Warcraft". Oblivion did pretty much the same, too.

I like Witcher 3 and its visuals, but even then, the whole game is pretty small. It loads new areas which don't feel connected to the older ones. WIth Gothic 3 (for example), you kept running it slowly loaded in different areas without just loading in a new world. That felt more realistic despite drastic change in the biome.

With Witcher 3, you try to move beyond the edge of the first map itself and the game won't let you. It just feels like a one small map loaded in, not series of world connected to each other. Reminds you of the first Witcher game. And still, I can't recall anything memorable from the game world while I can still remember Gothic's world changes or Risen's first big town.

If you're going to make an open world game, make an open world game. Teleporting from one map to another isn't really "travelling".

Volken

Scholar

I like Witcher 3 and its visuals, but even then, the whole game is pretty small. It loads new areas which don't feel connected to the older ones. WIth Gothic 3 (for example), you kept running it slowly loaded in different areas without just loading in a new world. That felt more realistic despite drastic change in the biome.

With Witcher 3, you try to move beyond the edge of the first map itself and the game won't let you. It just feels like a one small map loaded in, not series of world connected to each other. Reminds you of the first Witcher game. And still, I can't recall anything memorable from the game world while I can still remember Gothic's world changes or Risen's first big town.

If you're going to make an open world game, make an open world game. Teleporting from one map to another isn't really "travelling".

Yeah, W3 is shit and Elex is top tier open world RPG. I get it. W3 has no memorable locations at all while G1 and G2 are widely acclaimed masterpieces with so much unique content that it is simply unreal. Elex will trump it all because it's made by Devs touched by divine God Emperor of Mankind.

Why bother with pretending that people are using real arguments instead of biased bullshit in this joke of a thread? :D

And yeah, Germany is the most powerful country in the universe.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Yeah, W3 is shit and Elex is top tier open world RPG. I get it.

Actualy it's true, in w3 all money went into writing, voice over graphics and animation.

In Elex all money went into world building and rpg mechanics, while Elex might have clunky combat animations, the combat is way more rpgish than in witcher 3 because rules determine the outcome and not how fast you can dodge or click mouse button like in witcher 3.

That's like morrowind combat vs skyrim combat, where morrowind has the dice roll combat which is how rpg combat should be compared to skyrim where it only matters how fast you click the mouse button and how fast the animations are.

That's why newfags in morrowind complain about 'clunky combat' where they 'miss' even when they are in the face of opponent, little do they know, this is how a proper rpg combat should be.

So yes, compared to Witcher 3, Elex is a top tier RPG.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Actualy it's true, in w3 all money went into writing, voice over graphics and animation.

In Elex all money went into world building and rpg mechanics, while Elex might have clunky combat animations, the combat is way more rpgish than in witcher 3 because rules determine the outcome and not how fast you can dodge or click mouse button like in witcher 3.

That's like morrowind combat vs skyrim combat, where morrowind has the dice roll combat which is how rpg combat should be compared to skyrim where it only matters how fast you click the mouse button and how fast the animations are.

That's why newfags in morrowind complain about 'clunky combat' where they 'miss' even when they are in the face of opponent, little do they know, this is how a proper rpg combat should be.

Have you actually watched Elex combat? It's just non stop rolling and backpedaling while shooting shit at mobs.... even mass effect managed more engaging and rpgish combat.

ortucis

Prophet

Have you actually watched Elex combat? It's just non stop rolling and backpedaling while shooting shit at mobs.... even mass effect managed more engaging and rpgish combat.

Really? Cause all I remember from all Mass Effect games is hiding behind a cover and popping up every now and then to shoot at enemies.

Yeah, that was really challenging.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Really? Cause all I remember from all Mass Effect games is hiding behind a cover and popping up every now and then to shoot at enemies.

Yeah, that was really challenging.

Better than walking backwards and shooting at enemies... with brief periods of rolling and dying.

Combat looks worse than almost any other modern rpg i remember playing these last few years.

ortucis

Prophet
Better than walking backwards and shooting at enemies... with brief periods of rolling and dying.

Combat looks worse than almost any other modern rpg i remember playing these last few years.

So, just to be clear, standing in one place and shooting at enemies from behind cover, is MORE fun than walking, dodging, running around, dying while rolling around?

Kay..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom