Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm mostly on blackout on this game, but I watched a gameplay trailer because terminally bored, and the game engine looks like a piece of 90s cancer with UE3 physics and UI with middleware grass and tree technology slapped on top to make it look like it's from this decade.

I'm glad Piranha are spending their time on actually worthwhile things but game seems destined for a metacritic 70 and unprofitable sales sadly

Dexter

Arcane
Can you explain me about what are they talking about? Is it because they have only experience with city women, or are they talking about something else?

Tis a joke. All PB games have really ugly, manly looking women. They're keeping the tradition alive.

Also, all PB games have no level scaling, that and you can usually complete most quests just by exploring and without triggering them from a quest giver. Makes exploration pretty fun.
Eh, Patty was alright. If clad in really retarded outfit for tropics.
QMlZAnV.jpg
Same character, Risen 1:
Risen2009-10-2004-01-55-11.jpg

But yeah, I'd agree with the video/people above that Gothic 1+2 and with reservations Risen have some of the best designed Open Worlds around for reasons stated in said video.

Jinn

Arcane
Is this really true? If so, definite incline even if you take away the memery.

I also can't find my source, but seem to remember the question being addressed in an interview at some point. No level scaling at all as far as I can recall.

Jinn

Arcane
Am I correct in that there will be no respawning of monsters in this game as in previous Gothic?

As far as I know, just like in past Gothics, mass world spawning occurs at the end of certain chapters or acts. But overall, if you kill that Scavi, it isn't coming back anytime soon.

ortucis

Prophet
So there's some tech vs magic conflict going on in this game.

Piranhabytes ripping off Arcanum. What a day to be alive.

And why not? It's not like Obsidian's going to do anything similar. They're stuck making shitty top down RPG's cause idiots keep paying them to make shitty top down RPG's and label it "OLD SCHOOOL HERP DERP".

Meanwhile, 2 Days till ELEX.

Jinn

Arcane
Hey guys, I thinking about buying ELEX.
Your thoughts?
Didn't read thread yet.

If you are a fan of Gothic 1 + 2 and Risen 1, then this is a game you should seriously consider getting. From watching a fair amount of gameplay and researching the development of this project, and from the sounds of what PB managed to do positively this time, this is going to be the closest when can get to those cherished games. This means great exploration, fun faction play, challenging - though fairly cumbersome - combat, meaningful character building, detailed "living" game world, and excellent equipment progression. From what I've seen ELEX has been shown to have all of these.

I'm happy to support PB if they are going in the right direction and listening to their true fans, which it sounds like they've done a fair amount with ELEX. As I've said before in this thread, this is a game made for Gothic fans. As a Gothic fan, I want more Gothic-like games to play. ELEX seems to be that.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

"Seemingly unstoppable, the Albs have waged a war on all who stand between them and their need to obtain ELEX"
- Elex, 2017.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Also, the PC was a medieval knight wearing chainmail, sword, shield and... a jetpack? wtf?

This sums it up for me.

• Universe set in a post apocalyptic science fantasy universe that combines the most interesting aspects of all genres

The game is a hodge podge of cheap assets. Dinosaurs / Knights / Lasers / Robots.
Bargain bin assets slapped together in another low quality Risen 2 rip off. If you couldn't get fucking pirates right, you have no hope.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Fundamentally speaking, Piranha Bytes have released the same game over and over again since 2001. Comparable to, for example, Electronic Arts with their sports games.

Nevertheless, I am still I'm going to buy ELEX, albeit not at full price, as I've been doing since the disappointment of Risen 2.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
That ps4 version runs like shit, even on the pro, these cucks will get butchered by console players and reviews if they launch it like that.

If you can't deliver a decent console version, then don't do it at all.

flushfire

Augur
Those swing animations really look like ass. Guy is swinging a steel pipe like a 20lb sledgehammer. But I'll be playing this anyway :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom