Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

v1rus

Arcane
Well, I actually agree. Witcher 3 is fantastic, but it has lots of wrong in it, main plot being one of those things. In case of the base game, not only all does "weak antagonist" stuff stand, but biggest offender is the fact that story is not properly structured. Now, Hearts of Stone plot is far better and far more concise (its way shorter tho, so far less opportunities to mess it up), but i found B&W main quest to be even better than HoS. While there is not a single thing thats wrong with Hearts of Stone plot execution, I just grew tired of the old Faustian problem set-up. I found almost nothing wrong with B&W main quest too tho. As such, if anyone could go into moar specific details of plot problems, I'd be thankful. With
spoilers!
ofc, we dont wanna spoil some poor sod up, like you fuckers spoiled me.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CruduxCruo

Unwanted
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
but of course the english subtitles are not a translation of the original polish but rather a transcript of the god-awful english localisation

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
but of course the english subtitles are not a translation of the original polish but rather a transcript of the god-awful english localisation
Could you give some specific examples, out of curiosity? Would you say this problem applies to all 3 games? And is there any way (including 3rd party) of getting a better translation?

Atomkilla

Arcane
IIRC TW3 (and TW2) script was written in English and Polish simultaneously, so it's not a real translation from one to other, more of a two different takes on a same thing. I don't see why people consider English localization to be bad.

passerby

Arcane
It was just marketing, lead writer barely speak English on this video ffs.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Was bored, tested new versions of stlm and hd reworked

4awgl328chsz.png

witcher3_2017_10_18_0f9l1y.png

witcher3_2017_10_18_0zmyp9.png
witcher3_2017_10_18_0q2bdu.png

witcher3_2017_10_18_057xxk.png

Frozen

Arcane
All those filters reskins etc. whatever are waste of time...most look like nothing has been done, like a fraud or if they do something its for the worse.
I could make stronger impact by just changing picture mode on my TV from cinema to gaming.

Paul_cz

Arcane

Honestly I don't like it, that lighting looks really generic. Plus the way the lighting interacts with Geralt reminds me somehow of the alpha build.

STLM is specifically designed to make the game look like it did in the old trailers, and it suceeds admirably.

Whether anyone like vanilla or STLM is down to personal taste. I like both, vanilla is more consistend but STLM looks fucking amazing quite often.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, that's something you can tell yourself, but nothing can make the game look like in the E3 demos. The models and the polygon count were different there. All these mods can do is change textures, with questionable improvement, change the color gamma and increase the viewing distance, so you can see console-grade trees farther ahead.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Nah, that's something you can tell yourself, but nothing can make the game look like in the E3 demos. The models and the polygon count were different there. All these mods can do is change textures, with questionable improvement, change the color gamma and increase the viewing distance, so you can see console-grade trees farther ahead.

It depends what you are comparing. If you are comparing the 2013 debut trailer, it looks different significantly, if you are comparing E3 2014 demo, then STLMed final game looks almost identical.
STLM does not change "color gamma", it fundamentally change entire lightning. It also has nothing to do with foliage distance...in fact it seems to be like you are speaking about things you know nothing about.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

It depends what you are comparing. If you are comparing the 2013 debut trailer, it looks different significantly, if you are comparing E3 2014 demo, then STLMed final game looks almost identical.
STLM does not change "color gamma", it fundamentally change entire lightning. It also has nothing to do with foliage distance...in fact it seems to be like you are speaking about things you know nothing about.
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/657/? :

mimic the original art direction pre downgrade ( mostly the 2014 build ), this is the only purpose of this mod, it does not add anything or remove anything, this is not supposed to be " better " than vanilla, this is specifically made for those who preferred the original look of the game pre downgrade like me

Can't happen, period. For reasons, see above.

Paul_cz

Arcane

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/657/? :

mimic the original art direction pre downgrade ( mostly the 2014 build ), this is the only purpose of this mod, it does not add anything or remove anything, this is not supposed to be " better " than vanilla, this is specifically made for those who preferred the original look of the game pre downgrade like me

Can't happen, period. For reasons, see above.

I feel like you are just trolling me at this point. He is saying the same thing I am, and you did not provide any facts for your position.
Let's just drop it. Use whatever the fuck you want or don't want.

Falksi

Arcane
Can someone post some pics of TW3's most "epic" environments?

I was just thinking back to Morrowind and things such as riding a Silt Strider, discovering Ald'ruhn's massive crab shell building, the lush vegitated buildings of Sadrith Mora etc.

Then I was thinking back to TW3, and all I seem to remember finding were boring huts/villages, and samey caverns.

It's a big game, so maybe there were things I missed? There was that one evil tree, but whilst noteable it was hardly epic. I just remember loads of grassland with little to really see.

Honestly I don't like it, that lighting looks really generic. Plus the way the lighting interacts with Geralt reminds me somehow of the alpha build.

Only HD Reworked is worth using, lighting mods can suck it. Only things from SweetFX that are worth using in W3, in my opinion:

FXAA - to use on top of in game AA. In game AA is a weak temporal AA that doesn't do a good job with edges. If you can afford downsampling you may wanna ditch in game AA altogether as it also creates slight ghosting. And I say FXAA because it's much better at being mixed with other types of AA than SMAA. It's also a bit less of a performance hit.
Vibrance - lowering it by 5-7 % makes things look bit more natural in my opinion. Set value to -0.05 to try out.
Lumasharpen - can be used instead of in game sharpen for better control if you aren't satisfied with two in game choices.

All the "Super Mega Ultra" lighting presets are cancer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom