Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Playing styx 2 co op(never figured i woudl be playing a stealth game co op).
The game is a buggy mess.Bodies glitch through containers,enemies come back to life as zombies which walk back and forth,i sometimes die when falling from 1 cm,loading causes frequent disconnects,etc...
Everything else is fucking awesome.

Tired of stealth game utilizing the boring one man walking in a similar pattern so you can easily kill him?
Well in styx most rooms and locations have multiple guards and their patrol options require actual memorization.

To compensate for the enemy numbers styx has multiple ways to enter rooms and multiple tricks.
You can poison food,drop items,use distraction items,etc...
Also a clone ability lets you plan out actions without worrying about life costing consequences.

Tired of ai being stupid and giving up because you hid in a corner?
Well styx ai checks corners,closets and everything else when alerted meaning you better choose an actual good hiding spot or you are dead.
The complaining from my friend when he hid under the table and the guard dragged him out was priceless.
Bonus points for the ai lighting back up extinguished torches if it sees it go out.

Tired of shit "power fantasies" masquerading as stealth games?
Well styx has both power and upgrades and they are all useful and not broken in terms of making the game piss easy.
Skill give you more tools and upgrade your abilities but their mana usage still limits you from outright abusing them.
Invisibility lasts for a small mount of time and later you can turn the target invisible ,cloning is self explained.

Basically the levels feel great and are designed for ghosting.

From what i have seen there is only one collectible ,so no worry about plaguing the map with useless garbage.

Unfortunately,my co op partner hates the "actually have to stand in the darkness and memorize patrol part"(he is a big fan of thief 4 and dishonored) so i guess i am gonna continue this game solo now.

I would recommend this game to any stealth fan if you can stomach a few crippling technical issues.(zombie guards are a big one).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Played Path of Exile last night.

Played enough to see that it's shit.

I've now learned that when game developers boast about how they think they know better than both the industry and the playerbase, then that's my cue to back the fuck away.

I'll rather recommend Torchlight than this thing.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Dawn of War Soulstorm campain with Necrons and let me tell you the faction stronghold assault is a pain thanks to the objectives that force you to run around the map and not rollstomp main base. Bonus for cringe briefring made by people who did not gave a single fuck in developement.

@up
Hi, I'm triggered PoE fanboy and lemme tell you how much you're wrong
Played enough to see that it's shit.

Or maybe not since you did not reached latest part when the game get better and beginning in general suck donkey balls. I can't imagine how people beat 4 acts 3 times to reach endgame content before PoE 3.0...

I'll rather recommend Torchlight than this thing.
Or Diablo3 for maximum edgyness
Or play Diablo1 again for same shit over and over.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Since acquiring an "Expert" degree in Diablo-cloneology requires substantial brain damage, it goes without saying that I don't hold such a degree. But of the Diablo-clones that I've played, Torchlight was the most enjoyable one, therefore it defaults as the "recommended" choice from me.

I played Diablo+Hellfire when the Hellfire expansion was released, and in the 20 years since then I've tried my hand at various clones trying to cash in on the craze. Diablo 1+2, Titan Quest, both Torchlights, probably a couple of others I'm forgetting, etc. Combine that with the fact that gamers tend to "optimize the fun out of everything" and that devs respond to that by optimizing the effort out of everything, and we're left with an entire game genre that's all about grinding for loot drops - not exploration, not story, not for the game world, not for the combat challenges (except for overpowered bosses) and most importantly, not for the fun. It's ALL about the loot drops, and how to get as much of them as possible. At least Torchlight made that aspect fun, all the others (Torchlight sequel included) made it feel like busybody work.

PoE actually takes this a step further by eliminating a standardized currency and makes the equipment upgrade consumables instead count as currency. This leads to the player having to make some interesting choices - does he try to improve his pre-existing gear, or use it as currency to buy stuff from the merchants? This would actually be an interesting dilemma were it not for the fact that the game has no "quality of life" equipment management features - in this regard PoE actually regresses all the way back to the original Diablo... and beyond. There's no autosorting of inventory, there's no pack mule, no "send pack mule to town to sell this crap"-option and finally the game has this bizarre "feature" that if you Town Portal back to town and spend too much time there, the map you were on gets reset and switched out, meaning whatever progress you made (and whatever loot you may have missed out on) is lost. This was seemingly done to save on server resources, and to my utter amazement most PoE players seem perfectly fine with this.

(There's Evidence #1 of why people need to be brain damaged to enjoy these games, and PoE in particular.)

But wait! As seeing that one man's opinion is enough to trigger butthurt in even the most brain-damaged of players:

Hi, I'm triggered PoE fanboy and lemme tell you how much you're wrong

Or maybe not since you did not reached latest part when the game get better and beginning in general suck donkey balls. I can't imagine how people beat 4 acts 3 times to reach endgame content before PoE 3.0...

I had been warned that the beginning would be a little dull, so I was prepared for that. Despite reaching the conclusion that PoE is a Piece of Shit, I at least got an evening's entertainment out of it. But now you're telling me that a large portion of the game sucks and is not worth playing, just to reach a fraction of the game that is worth playing?

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Why don't the devs just... cut out the boring parts of the game? Just let people right in at "the good stuff"?

Or, maybe I'm asking for too much here, just maybe... you make the entire game worth playing? Is that so hard?

(Evidence #2 of why people need to be brain damaged to enjoy PoE.)

I'm feeling extra grateful now that I only spent an evening on this.

I had been warned that the beginning would be a little dull, so I was prepared for that. Despite reaching the conclusion that PoE is a Piece of Shit, I at least got an evening's entertainment out of it. But now you're telling me that a large portion of the game sucks and is not worth playing, just to reach a fraction of the game that is worth playing?

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Why don't the devs just... cut out the boring parts of the game? Just let people right in at "the good stuff"?

Or, maybe I'm asking for too much here, just maybe... you make the entire game worth playing? Is that so hard?

(Evidence #2 of why people need to be brain damaged to enjoy PoE.)

I'm feeling extra grateful now that I only spent an evening on this.

If the whole game was good the devs wouldn't be able to induce stockholm syndrome to their players.

Jazz_

Arcane
Arpgs suck as a concept, wtf is the appeal to click on a mob and watch your character bash it to death? it's that over and over again pretty much, the gameplay in arpgs is just so utterly braindead and shallow to me, there are no tactical layers to it, at least in the few I played, I didn't try the newer ones. I tried replaying Diablo 2 some time ago and I was like ''did I really enjoy this shit when I was 14?'.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Arpgs suck as a concept, wtf is the appeal to click on a mob and watch your character bash it to death? it's that over and over again pretty much, the gameplay in arpgs is just so utterly braindead and shallow to me, there are no tactical layers to it, at least in the few I played, I didn't try the newer ones. I tried replaying Diablo 2 some time ago and I was like ''did I really enjoy this shit when I was 14?'.
Two reasons:
1)Hamster wheel syndrome.
Basically they introduce boring stuff on purpose(killing boring enemies) and then give you fancy loot to keep you going.This works for most people.
2)Builds.
Most arpg give you plenty of build variety either with skill trees or items.This is the only actual from of game play in them and is mostly handled well by even below average arpgs(like sacred and silverfall).
Basically make your own murder machine designed to clear mobs most efficiently.

But the biggest problem with them is that random loot directly contradicts a reward system.Getting garbage does not reward you and makes you quit the game because the boredom sets in.

Personally,they are horrible,considering there is not a lot you can do with just mouse clicking with a limited skill tree.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished my third attempt to finish Dragon Age: Origins. I uninstall it after entering oppressed elfs forest this time. Fuck the caracters, fuck the writing, fuck the script, everything so bland and boring. How people could compare this to BG back in the day?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
But now you're telling me that a large portion of the game sucks and is not worth playing, just to reach a fraction of the game that is worth playing?
Actually, the decent size of the game sux (Part 1 with 4 acts and Part 2 with 4 recycled acts from Part1, at least they threw new enemies) just to reach endgame content where you can do more activity (that include dealing with more bossfights, labirynths, even more bossfights and clearing massive Atlas of the Worlds). That's the good and bad thing in PoE - endgame content looks promising but reaching it might be difficulty despite the fact that you level up really fast.
Unless you get stuck because your build suck. It's not hard to make decent build and reach endgame. But to make good build that can deal with endgame content - that's something to achieve by making good combo of getting advantage of rare items and planning skill tree investing in mind, skillgems combos/

the map you were on gets reset and switched out, meaning whatever progress you made (and whatever loot you may have missed out on) is lost.
That's the Diablo2 curse, never liked it yet people praised and defended this. And even aped that crap in the Diablo1 via Tchernobog/Belzebub mod.

And yes action RPGs are all about slaughtering countless mobs, there is nothing new. Might as well criticize FPS titles for shooting. Comparing with other action RPGs is a bit awkward since PoE devs wanted their own niche with dozen concepts and ideas, some of them never used in other games.
PS. Torchlight 1&2 were boring. I rather return to Diablo: The Hell (sequel is coming) which is still best of them all.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
Some games I've been definitely wasting time on, recently. :lol:

As for Dragon Age: Origins, it was the last good game from BioWare and the only thing it suffered from was the visual downgrade cause of console port they decided to do like 12 months before the release.

While we're at it, Arkham Knight ran just fine for me. Finished it, but not 100% cause the "true ending" is tied behind shitty Riddler trophy bullshit, which I ALWAYS ignore since the first game (I like how they wasted a good villain on this shit). I only played his bullshit challenges to save Cat Woman, after that, never went back. Other than this Riddler bullshit (btw, if you wanna see the true ending, just see The Dark Knight Rises, it's the same stupid ending), game is pretty fun and worth playing. I am thinking of replaying all Batman games just to finally play them with PhysX on cause of new card I bought for ELEX.

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
I've been playing PONG on the Atari.
fd723e10676f761953ad5c1cf91e1b28--retro-ads-vintage-advertisements.jpg

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Felt like some pirate gaming, so I tried a few of them- Swashbucklers Blue vs. Grey, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Blood and Gold Caribbean!, Man o' War Corsair and now finally gonna roll with City of Abandoned Ships.

Bought the expansion for Grim Dawn, playing a necromancer. It's fun and to me it's by far the best Diablo-style game out there as it strikes a balance between being full sperglord and actually having some atmosphere. There's a lot of class combinations to try out and the setting is cool.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS MY SON IS SUOER INTO STAR WARS SO BEEN PLAYUNG THE OLD BATTLEFIELDS TOO

TONS OF MODS OUT THEIR BOTH GRAPHICS AND CONTENT

SOME GOOD SOME SHIT

ANYWAYS BROS BEEN BUSY LATELY JUST TURN OUT MY BRIAN AND SHOOT SHIT

No Great Name

Arcane
Finished Shadow Hearts for the PS2.

I liked the dark atmosphere of the game where messed up and tragic things happen frequently, but I think the translation is a bit off at certain points. Dialogue doesn't really flow well sometimes. The battle system is pretty interesting and status effects are very threatening, which is nice. If you don't know what's coming, then bosses can be pretty tough to beat. Voiceovers are hilariously bad and most sidequests require some incredibly specific action at a specific point in the game in order to activate. Needless to say, I got the bad ending and I have no idea how on earth anyone is supposed to get the good ending without looking at a guide.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I have recently taken a crack at modding Doom, so I have been rather busy. I have several mods in various states of completion, but I am currently working on massively expanding TrumpDoom. Once I become a little more familiar with ACS I plan on working on a small Fallout Total Conversion, but that won't be for some time.

beat infamous 2nd son. it's ok.

playing mgsv, don't remember what was wrong with the game or why it was hated

The story mainly. Also there are no decent interiors to infiltrate in the game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom