Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
PoTD is generally lots of fun, especially since I know the systems and can crush through some encounters that seemed harded even in lower difficulties before.
...But I'm still wondering how the hell were some encounters in Od Nua considered "acceptable" to be in the game.
They really feel like someone just mass clicked "add monster" in a room. Like a room filled with 100 Xaurips of all sorts and some Wurms. Oh, what fun!
It'll be my third run and my opinion is pretty clear by now: Some levels of Od Nua are probably the worst of the game. They seem like "fillers"

On subsequent POTD playthroughs Od Nua can be annoying, but when I first went there on POTD I thought it was kind of cool. There are many moments when you can't decide if you should waste your last camping supplies or push on with low HP. Finally you decide to take a risk and continue, only to have 50 trillion mobs swarm from around the corner. And if you somehow survive it's like, motherfucker I did good.

Not something I'm eager to repeat, mind you, but as a one-time experience I kind of enjoyed it.

It's also important to go there as early as possible, though. If you juice up your party on the easier content and then go to Od Nua just for the lewt, then yeah, it does feel like a filler and a waste of time.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PoTD is generally lots of fun, especially since I know the systems and can crush through some encounters that seemed harded even in lower difficulties before.
...But I'm still wondering how the hell were some encounters in Od Nua considered "acceptable" to be in the game.
They really feel like someone just mass clicked "add monster" in a room. Like a room filled with 100 Xaurips of all sorts and some Wurms. Oh, what fun!
It'll be my third run and my opinion is pretty clear by now: Some levels of Od Nua are probably the worst of the game. They seem like "fillers"

On subsequent POTD playthroughs Od Nua can be annoying, but when I first went there on POTD I thought it was kind of cool. There are many moments when you can't decide if you should waste your last camping supplies or push on with low HP. Finally you decide to take a risk and continue, only to have 50 trillion mobs swarm from around the corner. And if you somehow survive it's like, motherfucker I did good.

Not something I'm eager to repeat, mind you, but as a one-time experience I kind of enjoyed it.

It's also important to go there as early as possible, though. If you juice up your party on the easier content and then go to Od Nua just for the lewt, then yeah, it does feel like a filler and a waste of time.
Yeap I completely agree with this. I guess my main issue is....well as everyone has already said about PoE.... encounter design. They could have done some of them much better and still provide the same feeling.

Parabalus

Arcane

Yeap I completely agree with this. I guess my main issue is....well as everyone has already said about PoE.... encounter design. They could have done some of them much better and still provide the same feeling.

My best experience with Odd Nua is to go there around level 9-10-11 and finish it in one go. There is some tension with supplies this way and you don't have to bother with tedious backtracking.

almondblight

Arcane

I just gave up on Od Nua after a few levels, since it was hurting my enjoyment of the game. Maybe it's a good place to hire some adventurers and screw around with different builds, though.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seeing as the second game is closing in fast, I finally decided to give the DLC a go

I guess that moving straight to the Siege of Cragholdt was not the best idea in the world. I lost my will to live after the third group of mercenary pyromancers, berserkers and such. And don't even get me started on that fucking cave.

I moved to the actual White March and the game actually became decent. Not great or anything, but it is a big improvement nonetheless, as in I am actually having fun and somewhat interested in what is going on. Looking forward to playing more of this.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I moved to the actual White March and the game actually became decent. Not great or anything, but it is a big improvement nonetheless, as in I am actually having fun and somewhat interested in what is going on. Looking forward to playing more of this.
The most accurate description of PoE possible.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finally got my groove playing Pillars of Eternity: White March.

I wasn't really enjoying it when I got back to the game and I kind of forced myself through the initial hours. Also, I started with the worst/toughest area (Siege of Cragholdt), which did not help. But even when I moved to the main content, I still wasn't really feeling it. It was just 'okay'.

And then, at some point towards the end of Malvino's Workshop, it just *clicked* with me, and I started having fun. No idea what caused this - new companions, respecing some of the characters (to be less micromanagement-heavy), soulbound weapons (the cursed estoc quest was pretty cool), or getting to 'the good part' (peaceful solution to the Ogre Matron quest was extremely satisfying) - probably all of these in some part - but since then I have been enjoying it quite a bit, much more than the vanilla game. I almost feel like I'm playing Baldur's Gate again (or rather Tales of the Sword Coast, since Durgan's Battery gives me serious Durlag's Tower vibes).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
peaceful solution to the Ogre Matron quest was extremely satisfying

How did you find that satisfying, since I didn't find that memorable at all?
Sneaking into the cave without being seen, a cool vignette allowing passage to the lower level (to get the key to the scrying chamber) and then interesting dialogue with the matron, all without killing a single ogre. It just felt right.

Dorateen

Arcane
peaceful solution to the Ogre Matron quest was extremely satisfying

How did you find that satisfying, since I didn't find that memorable at all?
Sneaking into the cave without being seen, a cool vignette allowing passage to the lower level (to get the key to the scrying chamber) and then interesting dialogue with the matron, all without killing a single ogre. It just felt right.

Plus there is later reactivity elsewhere by striking a deal with the ogre matron. The treatment of White March content, including Cragholt Bluffs, is what PoE should have been all about.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is. You can get the Ogres to help you in the Battle of Yenwood Field. And I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think they can also save you when shit goes down at the end of WM part 2.

edit: nvm, I'm retarded, misread what you wrote.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, you can solicit their help when you hold the meeting at Durgan's Battery in WM2. It's very easy to piss them off, though, so you have to watch what you say.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

I just killed them all, so I didn't get that same feeling.

Inf0mercial

Augur
Huh so i bought this on release played for maybe 5 hours? Lost interest, dropped it for (checks release date) 2 and a half years, just started it again after i bought Tyranny and finished that and it made me want to restart BG2 but i had this in my steam library just sitting there with only 5 hours played so i thought why not?

So i booted it and up and i can say either its improved a metric fuck ton or i am more in the mood for it, put 30 hours in so far, pretty good actually combat just feels a lot better than what i remember, Eder is actually pretty decent as is Grieving Mother so far, i did like sageni but she was ruining my party composition so i had to swap for her paladin lady, i like the Resting system 2 camp supplies makes it actually a somewhat interesting choice to rest or not in some dungeons, did that dungeon in dryford village that was pretty fun.

One thing that bemuses is the sheer lack of HP healing i have taken Triage skill on everyone so that i can extend my adventuring day even as my Tanks keep just getting their health chipped away till you have to rest.

I am finally moving back towards main Quest with the seemingly mandatory Sewer quest getting towards temple but i actually enjoyed the sewers in BG2 and this seems to be ok so far.

Overall from first impressions of a game i spent $60 on then never played again for nearly 3 years i have bumped it up to a game i after 30 hours playing bought the White March expansions because i have a bit of faith i will enjoy them.

I am playing on hard, i did think of going back restarting for POTD, but i am not sure if it would improve the game, if anything some of the fights are at the moment hilarious enough with 10 melee guys stuck behind their allies getting shot by Wurm summons and ranged chars, i don't think adding another 10 melee guys stuck in the back would help make it harder. That spider cave was a 10/10 entered got combat with wandering spider i move forwards get flanked by like 15 from my right, straight into my squishes as 20 more run at the front and tied up tanks, first fight i actually got wiped on, second time was piss easy but what can you do.

I have a Chanter with 18 con and 22 intel at the moment so when i throw out stuns its like 9 seconds of down time. Trying to get my passive level 1 chants to be permanent with no down time like .5 seconds off at the moment.

Accuracy seems to be a God stat just from seeing my chance to miss with invocations, i am annoyed that i can't reshuffle spells at level up, Summons Skeletons is useless and i have to go pay at a tavern to respec instead of doing it through level up but that is a minor annoyance all things considered, actually makes me look forward to Dreadfire next year.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
PotD is the only way to play the game tbh. You don't need Triage for Health, just craft and gobble up Infuse with Vital Essence potions at the end of combat. The early-game combat feels tremendously better than at release, yeah, the problem is when you get to lvl 9ish+.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

obsidian said:
Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition Arrives November 15th for PC, Mac, and Linux!
STOCKHOLM, Sweden and IRVINE, Calif. — Paradox Interactive, a publisher of games for characters of all builds, and Obsidian Entertainment, veteran developers behind Fallout: New Vegas and South Park: The Stick of Truth, today announced a new edition of Pillars of Eternity which provides the definitive experience and tremendous value to RPG fans everywhere.

The award-winning title is now available as Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition, a comprehensive version of Obsidian’s crowdfunded masterpiece that includes both White March expansions, all premium extras, and an all-new bundle of content, called the “Deadfire Pack,” inspired by Obsidian’s upcoming Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

Definitive Edition will be available for PC, Mac, and Linux on November 15, 2017. The new Deadfire Pack DLC will also be made available for free to all existing (and future) owners of Pillars of Eternity on Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs to thank them for their ongoing support of what has become one of the world’s most beloved RPGs. With these additions, fans will have the complete set of all Pillars of Eternity content ever created inside and outside of the game in the final, all-encompassing release.

On November 15, the Definitive Edition will be made available via digital distributors everywhere for a suggested retail price of $39.99, and will include:
  • The original Pillars of Eternity, a modern RPG with classic inspiration, and winner of multiple awards for its rich story, art, and world design
  • The complete, expanded world, characters, and content from The White March: Parts I & II, which adds new places to travel and quests to complete
  • All premium content originally sold with Pillars of Eternity: Royal Edition, including the original soundtrack, a digital collector's book, an original novella set in the Pillars universe, and much, much more
  • The all-new Deadfire Pack DLC, which includes new in-game items to earn and discover, and new portraits from the forthcoming sequel, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, releasing in 2018
Alongside the release of the Definitive Edition, the original Pillars of Eternity: Hero Edition game will receive a suggested retail price reduction to $29.99 on Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs.

Pillars of Eternity, originally the result of a crowdfunding campaign by over 75,000 backers, has led a resurgence in the classic RPG genre since its release in 2015. Winner of “Best RPG” from multiple critics, the game is now available for both PC and console platforms from retailers worldwide. A sequel, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, is currently in development by Obsidian Entertainment.

Deadfire-oriented DLC (some new items and char portraits) for POE, free for those who already own POE.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, this is a good excuse to replay to have a character to import. I wonder if those Deadfire items will have any special significance in the sequel if you import a character with them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom