Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mike Laidlaw leaves BioWare

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Did Andromeda fail economically too or was it only a shit game? Because they don't understand without the moneys

Well they won't release sales figures, decided not to release any DLC, gutted the studio that made it, and shit-canned the BioWare General Manager. All that would not have happened (especially the DLC) is it was just a shit game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Did Andromeda fail economically too or was it only a shit game? Because they don't understand without the moneys

Well they won't release sales figures, decided not to release any DLC, gutted the studio that made it, and shit-canned the BioWare General Manager. All that would not have happened (especially the DLC) is it was just a shit game.
Basically, the story of DA:I

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Leaving the ship at the right time.
PhdRn0u.gif

Rev

Arcane
What use is BioWare to them if not for the RPGs? They have dozens of better studios when it comes to shooter or action games, they needed BW to cover the RPG segment of the market, but they've been outshined by Bethesda and CDP and their latest games have been shit even for some of the mainstream press and gamers.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
What use is BioWare to them if not for the RPGs? They have dozens of better studios when it comes to shooter or action games, they needed BW to cover the RPG segment of the market, but they've been outshined by Bethesda and CDP and their latest games have been shit even for some of the mainstream press and gamers.

EA doesn't have perfect business sense.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think it means the end of BioWare as RPG developers. Gaider, Hudson, Laidlaw - despite their flaws, they still made games which at least resembled RPGs (which the old BioWare used to make). Now, with Anthem announced, it seems to be the logical end of their evolution from RPGs to action RPGs and now to shooters.

Probably the end of BioWare as a whole. Say what you want about Bethesda, they still make games they used to, just adapted them for modern trends. Bio was unable to do that, and I don't think they will stay in business for long. EA will shut them down eventually.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
This isn't incline, it's a dead canary in a coal mine.

Oh, I meant it in a "if he had left sooner, maybe things would've been better" as in, leave right after Dragon Age Origins. Instead he was promoted and we got DA2, with its "super hot graphics" and "awesome buttons". His DA2 interviews were pure cringe. It is too late for Bioware, but him leaving was something I wanted since DA2 happened. Hence, the small incline.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Wow, a small :incline: over Bioware? Shocking news for a change.
I can't see how the people who love RPG,leaving Bioware is incline.

Maybe cuz they didnt make any games that anyone liked lately?
Killing companies and communism might actually be good for gaming, redistributing franchises etc.
I bet IT companies of the nepalese mountains would have a better chance of making a good Thief game than whoever shat the last one into existence.
A new Hexen by tibetan throat singers, if they fuck it up you can always get it to someone else.

Falksi

Arcane
This vid always makes me chuckle........

A sales pitch for one of the wankest, dullest, most tiresome combat systems I've ever played. Turn based? Argueably. Action orientated? Maybe. Shit? Definitely.

It'll make no difference to Bioware now, but looking at his credits.......

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,135411/

The higher up the heirachy his role, the shitter the game.

Fingerrs crossed he won't poison any other gaming company with his wankness.

RepHope

Savant
Just a couple days ago he was dropping hints about DA4 on his Twitter. Christ EA must've tried to force him to do some really dumb shit if Laidlaw, a personification of Bioware's decline, jumped shit. Wonder if DA4 will have loot crates.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh, I meant it in a "if he had left sooner, maybe things would've been better" as in, leave right after Dragon Age Origins. Instead he was promoted and we got DA2, with its "super hot graphics" and "awesome buttons". His DA2 interviews were pure cringe. It is too late for Bioware, but him leaving was something I wanted since DA2 happened. Hence, the small incline.

Laidlaw was in charge of the execution of a vision, but the vision wasn't his to dictate (Knowles left and was replaced with Laidlaw because he no longer agreed with the vision after all). An old quote from a now-dead forum:

Mike Laidlaw said:
Woah woah woahhhh there.

I will not have my love of RPGs called into question without retort. As I type this I am looking at my displayed original boxes of Wasteland, Ultima 4, 5, 6, and 7 and the original Phantasie for the C64.

I like RPGs. I like them a lot. So much so that I will fight tooth and nail to keep party-based mechanics and gameplay viable in todays market, when it would have been infinitely easier for me to move Dragon Age to a single-character RPG or action game.

Now, as to this thread, which I find illuminating, let me quite clear: I am absolutely, positively, all about expanding the audience for party-based RPGs. I am shameless in wanting the entire planet to enjoy a genre I am passionate about. It is not an easy task, and I do not think we made a perfect move to do so in DAII; I have said as much already.

I suppose with someone else in charge of execution, we may have had a single-character action game with role playing that played better. It could have also played worse. Guess we'll find out with the next Dragon Age. :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The awesome button guy (David Silverman) was an EA marketing drone, not an actual BioWare dev.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Dragon Age 4 Confirmed?

So I guess Bioware has one last game in them before fading away to the night. Sweet Dreams Little Prince.

J/K -
EA Shitcans companies with games in development all the time. Happened To Maxis on the back of Sims 4 releasing.

EDIT: Top Tweet Was Some Bantz:

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I think EA might keep Bioware around for a bit longer; they will be paying close attention to how well DA4 does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom