Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Endless Space 2

Mortmal

Arcane
Did anyone mention how broken the trade routes are? I had to turn off economic victory and stop building trading HQs and subsidiaries because it's all such a broken mess. I accidentally won an economic victory by building four HQs and a few subsidiaries. Around turn 100 or so, I was raking in about 25k gold per turn and over 999/turn of a bunch of luxury resources, which I could just sell for more cash.

The computer seems to be able to use these, since I lost my first game to an economic victory on about turn 140 while I was messing around trying to learn all the game systems.
Economic victory is the easiest way indeed, stay at peace long enough and build the HQ and trade routes , it snowball so fast you are 100% sure to win, they give far too much income when upraded.You can buy out instantly invincible fleets with the profits . it should be nerfed for sure.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I remember Star Wars Rebellion had a combat system and BOY was that a complete and utter clusterfuck. Space 4x / good combat. Pick one.

Galciv is 100% passive. Here you can at least design ships to match a particular strategy and it actually makes a difference. Shame the AI sucks at keeping up and you soon hit much bigger numbers, thus making tactics almost obsolete. Still, don't pick Turtle when all you have is long range :M

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Just finished my first game as the United Empire -> Mezari. Here are my impressions:

• Surprisingly good story. Playing the role of a paranoid maniac space dictator that 100% legit believes he is doing what's best for the people was p. cool and I don't remember the last time someone did that as well as this game did.
  • Being able to drastically change your faction mid-game is cool. I wonder if other civs have a similar mechanic. If I had planed ahead I would've terraformed all my lands to boreal instead of terran/forest.
  • AI is as bad as it was in EL. Actually it seems to be worse. Not that the competition is bringing non shit AI to the table, but still...
  • Diplomacy seems very, VERY buggy. The AI is never willing to sell its resources and people whine about "muh borders, get ur ships off muh borders!!" despite you being on the other fucking side of the galaxy. Diplomacy needs some serious patching effort, because right now it is TW-tier of shit.
  • Battle cards are a weird and borderline pointless system. I found zero incentive to care about what the card says and used "Barrage Fire" all game long. Yeah, it matched my weapons...so what?
  • My biggest gripe: WHY can't I just fucking genocide those stupid space bugs (cravers)? Why only the Horatio have that option (science genocide, lel)!? The game put a large emphasis on the population mechanic, yet the most OBVIOUS thing you should be able to do is missing. HOW THE FUCK am I supposed to contain my laughter when cravers and my imperials and up living side by side? That's gay as fuck. If I were in charge of development you bet your ass every planet would have a "genocide" button, which would result in the production of "space lampshades", which you can then profit from trade routes. :incline:
  • While on the subject of pops, some auto managing of pops would be nice. Say you have Lumeris and Sophons in a system with a Fertile and a Cold planet. You'd think the AI would automatically put sophons in the cold planet, lumeris in the fertile planet, right? NOPE. Fuck you. Micro that shit, lolololol. Other than that, pop mechanic is fine.
  • New tech tree is much, MUCH better than EL. It's actually... *gasp* a GOOD tech tree. Prerequisites and mutually exclusive techs bring some nice :incline: to the table.
  • The new modernization mechanic is a huge improvement over EL "click to boost" system. You're now faced with an actual strategic decision regarding which luxury you intend to commit to your blueprint rather than "let's just spam whatever I'm producing, lel".
My veredict after 51 hours is this: if you're itching for a 4x fix, grab this game right now as it's pretty good. If not, then wait until xmas sales, because Amplitude DOES fix their games...eventually. So you'll benefit from lower price + lower bug count.

Anyway, I'm starting a new game as Horatio. I'm far from done with this game :positive:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

754B6DB8DB45C55AF1F154BF7A10D4616B79E880

Also, here is something cool I've found:

0B3BB04B607207C3ECD177B78305C05F73741757

This is a living Virtual Endless Hero

Can't wait for the first expansion :incline:

Endemic

Arcane
I remember Star Wars Rebellion had a combat system and BOY was that a complete and utter clusterfuck. Space 4x / good combat

It wasn't super complicated (starfighters+carriers were overpowered) but you could at least fight with more than 10 ships at once, and give the basic orders. Individual systems took damage, weapon facings mattered, and tractor beams gave larger ships a way to trap faster, lighter ones. Etc.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So the game is free to play in Steam until the 20th AND has a 50% sale. I think I will at least try it

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So the game is free to play in Steam until the 20th AND has a 50% sale. I think I will at least try it
Came here to post this. I'm downloading it right now, will go catch some fish and then play it when I come home.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Already tried it a bit, I can't decide if I like so much abstraction or not... But it sure looks really good

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
The last patch was a huge step in the right direction. It is becoming enjoyable, now if only they had a good system to resolve battles...

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
I'm holding off until the first expac to get back into the game. This patch seems nice, but I don't really care for diplomacy. I Wish they focused on fixing the goddamn Vodyani bugs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Already tried it a bit, I can't decide if I like so much abstraction or not... But it sure looks really good

I've always thought Amplitude is making a mistake with their UI philosophy. With this level of abstraction the game needs that much more emphasis on art and style, to make the sea of abstract numbers and concepts more palatable, more immersive. ES2 is making a much better job at this than the austere prequel but still...dunno. The AI still looks a bit like an engineering software. Too clean, too functional. Not much pazzazz. It needs to be fucking jazzed up with rockets and lazors and tits. Tits shooting lazors would be best.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Yes occasionally I feel like I'm playing with some spreadsheets in a super fancy editor with planets and stuff. But I didn't play too much so I reserve further judgement

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played it. I don't like it. Uninstalled.

Like Jimmious said, it feels like you're playing with very pretty spreadsheets. Everything was over-wrought and essentially meaningless. The animations are a waste of time, the interface is too busy. After 15-20 minutes of playtime I have decided that this game fucking sucks.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I played it. I don't like it. Uninstalled.

Like Jimmious said, it feels like you're playing with very pretty spreadsheets. Everything was over-wrought and essentially meaningless. The animations are a waste of time, the interface is too busy. After 15-20 minutes of playtime I have decided that this game fucking sucks.

And THIS is what you get if you underestimate esthetics. The game is actually reasonably deep, with good mechanics inside, but that was exactly my reaction when I booted up DS1 all those years ago. It took some massive getting used to before I was able to play and enjoy (somewhat) the stuff underneath the geometrical UI.

Btw same problem is with Beyond Earth - the same minimalist UI design philosophy, black panels, white Times New Roman font, pictograms instead of pictures... plus BE is fucking terrible inside too.

Endemic

Arcane
Not a fan of the UI either. Will see if the added mechanics over ES1 make a deeper game, haven't played enough to give a verdict at this point.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just downloaded, played.

Why has no one ever said this:

It's ENDLESS LEGEND IN SPAAAACE.

Seriously, 2 word review is all that's needed.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's better than Endless Legend, because it's less story driven.

Riso

Arcane
It's better because it doesn't have that bullshit tactical combat system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom