Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dual Universe

Norfleet

Destructible ships generally are very fragile once the shields are down. There is a reason why most space games have a total HP/Hull.
That's because real life objects *ARE* very fragile if not protected by magic. In games, it's extremely common for an object, such as a vehicle to continue fighting until the last hitpoint. In real life, if you look at various destroyed tanks, ships, or planes, most are physically intact at the time they cease to be functional, except that key components have sustained critical damage that renders the entire thing inoperable. Inoperable ships and planes then succumb to their hostile environment. A spaceship, on the other hand, would be destroyed more in the manner of a tank than a seagoing ship or plane. Unlike a plane in the air or a ship at sea, the environment a spaceship exists in is generally not hostile to its physical existence, just as a tank on land isn't in a particularly hostile environment. A battleship of space doesn't sink, and only occasionally crashes.

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
Destructible ships generally are very fragile once the shields are down. There is a reason why most space games have a total HP/Hull.
That's because real life objects *ARE* very fragile if not protected by magic. In games, it's extremely common for an object, such as a vehicle to continue fighting until the last hitpoint. In real life, if you look at various destroyed tanks, ships, or planes, most are physically intact at the time they cease to be functional, except that key components have sustained critical damage that renders the entire thing inoperable. Inoperable ships and planes then succumb to their hostile environment. A spaceship, on the other hand, would be destroyed more in the manner of a tank than a seagoing ship or plane. Unlike a plane in the air or a ship at sea, the environment a spaceship exists in is generally not hostile to its physical existence, just as a tank on land isn't in a particularly hostile environment. A battleship of space doesn't sink, and only occasionally crashes.
It was not an argument about realism, it was an argument about gameplay being shit without HP. In Space Engineers you simply can't do any dogfighting with small ships since they don't have the HP abstractions. Your best bet is something like X3 Terran/Albion.

Norfleet

And yet somehow real people managed to dogfight in real planes that behave like this.

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
And yet somehow real people managed to dogfight in real planes that behave like this.
You can make planes Swiss-cheese with bullets, those instant lasers that can target in-between your brows on your head are not bullets, neither is a big ball of plasma, neither is missiles.
Dogfighting can happen if something has some staying power, if you can immediately do critical damage that disables or destroys a ship there is no point.
Which is why hull as HP exists. You can have some equipment disables and destruction based on Hull damage, but you at least need to move.
In more larger more complex ships its also fair to target individual parts.

Norfleet

I guess you'll just have to design a ship that doesn't instantly sustain critical damage every time it gets hit, then. Maybe something with layers of armor around redundant, distributed critical systems, so it can continue to fight even after half of it is shot off. Or get very, very good at not getting hit.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
btw on main site you can pledge and for 60$ you get access to beta and 11 month subscription when game launches, seems like a good deal.

for 120$ however you get 23 months and alpha access, which is good deal also.

and for 480$ lifetime subscription.... that's like 3 years of playing money worth.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This could perhaps be even better than No Mans Sky, wow :lol:

"Jean Christophe Baillie" :hahano:

P.S. if they want to increase the science fiction factor by 100% perhaps they should invest some of that 6+ million budget into a new model of tree.

Burning Bridges

He looks like they successfully mixed the genes of Alain Prost and Jean Michel Jarre to produce a true Gallic superman :lol:

Burning Bridges

Plays 100% in first person, there is a key ('V') for third person but I never used it.

I would not recommend it if it was nugaeme because I hate that shit with passion. If you can live with a completely retarded balance (it's currently practically impossible to die) it is quite impressive actually.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
You can program computers in-game to make mini games for example, interesting, that is something that Notch wanted to do originaly in his space game. Game has big potential.

nVq9Vdp.gif

I bet the computers will be used to program automated defenses.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The territory control is esentialy what planetside 2 does, but on whole planets and there can be as many factions fighting for the planet as the players are..... interesting

0GyS7.jpg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The Chris Roberts of our times

capture_decran_2014-06-04_a_15.46.33.png

Kinda looks like Tony Stark with similar background

f5a7f286dca7652e15cf413e5efe2702.jpg

Jean Christophe Baillie is a French scientist and entrepreneur. He founded the ENSTA ParisTech Robotics Lab where he worked on developmental robotics and computational evolutionary linguistics. While at ENSTA, he designed the urbiscript programming language to control robots, which became the base technology of Gostai, a robotics startup he created in 2006, which was acquired by Aldebaran robotics in 2012. Jean-Christophe Baillie holds a degree from the Ecole Polytechnique in Paris where he studied computer science and theoretical physics He did his PhD in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics at Université Pierre & Marie Curie in co-supervision with Luc Steels at Sony Computer Science lab in Paris.

Burning Bridges, this is your new hero.

Burning Bridges

capture_decran_2014-06-04_a_15.46.33.png

I love how Jean Christophe Baillie has this Gallic "all will be well" expression in his eyes :lol:

He probably has no clue about games and what he's gotten himself into yet.

Burning Bridges

I have never heard an interview with him but already know he talks exactly like Alain Prost :lol:

Aothan

Magister
honestly he looks a bit stressed really, I was thinking before when I saw the image how programmers often have a wearied aura about them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom