Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New games recommendation?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I'm old and most sites now lump everything together and it is hard to find the information I need.

Are any of the new survival games worth playing if I have no desire to craft? And do any of the ones that have quests and actual content also have a decent chardev system that isn't just basic shit for basic players?

I've seen a lot of things about older games getting mobile ports or mobile games. Can any of these be played on the pc and are they actually released with no wipes planned? And do the have decent chardev?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Are any of the new survival games worth playing if I have no desire to craft?
Survival games without crafting?
I'm not really sure such a thing exists.

They can have crafting, I just want to not have to do it. Like in all other games with crafting, from BG2 to Wiz8 to WoW to DOS 2. If I have to craft it isn't an rpg and is a crafting game. I would say it also reduces the survival genre to the crafting genre since crafting is everything.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

:hmmm:
They can have crafting, I just want to not have to do it. Like in all other games with crafting, from BG2 to Wiz8 to WoW to DOS 2.
None of those are survival games, but whatever.

So basically you want a "survival" game where you can just buy everything you need at the store.

I think you want to play Deerhunter.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
:hmmm:
They can have crafting, I just want to not have to do it. Like in all other games with crafting, from BG2 to Wiz8 to WoW to DOS 2.
None of those are survival games, but whatever.

So basically you want a "survival" game where you can just buy everything you need at the store.

I think you want to play Deerhunter.

No. I want an rpg that isn't aimed at fucking retards playing doll house. I am willing to try a survival game that doesn't fucking suck and revolve around idiots being even more idiotic. I can't think of one game, especially online game, where I can just buy everything at the store. Have you ever played games that have not been mislabeled as an rpg?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
None of the online survival games are marketed as "RPGs"

You either want to play one or the other. Choose

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
None of the online survival games are marketed as "RPGs"

You either want to play one or the other. Choose

Well, their descriptions on steam and the category they show up under prove you to be completely wrong.

Jazz_

Arcane
Isn't there a survival game where you need to build a house and fend off the zombies or some shit, it's quite popular, forgot the name.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Isn't there a survival game where you need to build a house and fend off the zombies or some shit, it's quite popular, forgot the name.

Wow, I can build a house! That sounds like so much fun!

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
How do you want to SURVIVE without shelter, all survival games put you in situations/locations where you need to survive, lone island, valley far away from anything in winter etc....

Survival games = building/crafting games, no exception. Also non of them are MMO's, you kinda picked the wrong genre and
maybe the wrong board.

The one with the least ammount of crafting i know: longest dark, requires you to prepare food, build weapons and feed campfires.
Single player only.

The best of the ones where you dont have to do much crafting is the forest, it has an actual story and an ending.
Basically lost on cannibal island combined with the decent, it has really nice/creepy cave exploring with fitting tools.
Coop with up to 8ppl only.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
How do you want to SURVIVE without shelter, all survival games put you in situations/locations where you need to survive, lone island, valley far away from anything in winter etc....

Survival games = building/crafting games, no exception. Also non of them are MMO's, you kinda picked the wrong genre and
maybe the wrong board.

The one with the least ammount of crafting i know: longest dark, requires you to prepare food, build weapons and feed campfires.
Single player only.

The best of the ones where you dont have to do much crafting is the forest, it has an actual story and an ending.
Basically lost on cannibal island combined with the decent, it has really nice/creepy cave exploring with fitting tools.
Coop with up to 8ppl only.

So, why do survival games have rpg tags? Does crafting mean rpg?

Also, does anyone not see the flaw in calling crafting games survival games when it is 100% possible to survive without crafting? If a game has multiple people would it make far better sense for people to specialize? Like one person hunts, the butcher butches, the tanner tans, the shoemaker makes shoes = far better survival than everyone building their own houses and making their own shoes.

If survival games are crafting games then there is no survival games. Just mislabeled crafting games.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Idk What is an RPG? ;) Some people consider Stalker an RPG even it has no classical character progression, you just get better equipped the further you get....

Tanning and shoemaking isnt crafting?

How do you survive after your plane crashed on an abandoned island, you the lucky fucker who survived in the broken off tail section while the rest of the plane landed a mile further in the ocean...

Crafting is building shit, shit doesnt have to be buildings, making a weapon is crafting, making a weapon is necessary to hunt and protect yourself.

As i said The Forest has awesome cave exploring, you dont need to craft much, hit a tree for 10 seconds for firewood every once in a while, and craft a bow to hunt, live in a cave.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Idk What is an RPG? ;) Some people consider Stalker an RPG even it has no classical character progression, you just get better equipped the further you get....

Tanning and shoemaking isnt crafting?

How do you survive after your plane crashed on an abandoned island, you the lucky fucker who survived in the broken off tail section while the rest of the plane landed a mile further in the ocean...

Crafting is building shit, shit doesnt have to be buildings, making a weapon is crafting, making a weapon is necessary to hunt and protect yourself.

As i said The Forest has awesome cave exploring, you dont need to craft much, hit a tree for 10 seconds for firewood every once in a while, and craft a bow to hunt, live in a cave.

I'd live in the tail and hunt with my dick. I certainly wouldn't build a house. Hell, I'd probably get naked and walk out into the waste hoping to die quickly of exposure. Life isn't fun when survival is easy, why would I want to prolong it when I don't have duties and obligations to others to do so?

Since I am less retarded than everyone else on this site I know exactly what crafting is. Is there a crafting game mislabeled as a survival game that only focuses on crafting weapons and armor and not stupid shit like houses?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Unreal World.

finnish survival for the win~ You dont have to craft if you dont want to.

Wow, I remember this game from a long time ago. This is the game that had range be the only viable combat option and melee was death. At least at one point if I am remembering right. I just mentioned this recently too. Thanks for the heads up, Ill check it out.

Helton

Arcane
The zombie game referenced earlier is 7 Days to Die. Its a lot of fun, played a ton single-player, a ton more with a group of 5 and then a ton more just me and my wife. A bit burnt out on it now but had to have played it more than 100 hours. Steam reports 350 hours but of course a lot of that was just title screen.

You don't technically have to craft at all. You could just scavenge. But it makes sense to do at least some crafting. Make tools, weapons, clothes, ect. Squatting in an existing structure is viable. You may want to fortify it, but you don't need to build it from the ground (some people enjoy doing that though).

As to why label it an RPG? It has RPG elements, a skill-buy system for a lot of different perks (shoot better, hit harder, get hungry slower, craft better shit, ect). That seems to be more than enough to be labelled an RPG. :shrug: I have the same problem on Steam, the labels don't fucking mean anything. Might as well not have them.

Its fun single player but better with a small group of friends imo. My favorite time was playing with my wife because we played often and always together. It was good having the extra people but thats more schedules to work around and we mostly played once a week. When you have a project you want to advance you don't want to wait a week. Anyways your mileage may vary but if you're at all interested in this type of game I can recommend 7 Days to Die. Its a blast.

laclongquan

Arcane
Unreal World.

finnish survival for the win~ You dont have to craft if you dont want to.

Wow, I remember this game from a long time ago. This is the game that had range be the only viable combat option and melee was death. At least at one point if I am remembering right. I just mentioned this recently too. Thanks for the heads up, Ill check it out.

There's tons of updates since then. Nowadays if you want to survive melee you need two or three layer of clothes, armors, and cloaks. Also better have a shield, too. Too chancy for me even when I have enough equipments. bows and crossbows are much safer

Hyperion

Arcane
If you want character development, Path of Exile and Grim Dawn are your best options. They may be Diablo clones, but Path of Exile is persistently online with some semblance of an economy, while Grim Dawn is more single-player focused. Path of Exile launches new leagues for a fresh start / economy every 3 - 4 months. Their next content expansion, and league are aiming for a December 1st release. Grim Dawn had an expansion release yesterday. Path of Exile is totally free to play.

Prime time to give both a shot, really.

Zenith

Arbiter
I'm old and most sites now lump everything together and it is hard to find the information I need.

Are any of the new survival games worth playing if I have no desire to craft? And do any of the ones that have quests and actual content also have a decent chardev system that isn't just basic shit for basic players?
Hi guys, I'm dumb and don't understand that tags work like venn diagrams.

Are there any first person shooters worth playing if I have no desire to move my character? And do any of the ones that have text parser dialogue also have proper research trees for hardcore gamers such as myself?

Helton

Arcane
The tags are shit though. Go to steam and click RPG. There's couple RPGs, a bunch of shit that isn't RPGs, and a 3 or 4 copies of ESO: Morrowind on the front two pages.

You might think "well that's not TERRIBLE, they did get some real RPG's in there like DOS:2"

But then click Strategy. And its 50+% the same fucking games, plenty of which are NOT Strategy games. I'm interested in DOS:2, sure. But if I'm shopping for a strategy I don't want to trawl through a list of RPG's and shooters.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Hi guys, I'm dumb and don't understand that tags work like venn diagrams.

Are there any first person shooters worth playing if I have no desire to move my character? And do any of the ones that have text parser dialogue also have proper research trees for hardcore gamers such as myself?

You are like super funny. There certainly are FPS games with heavy rpg elements worth at least checking out for people that should be using this site. The fact you find no issue with a genre about crafting houses being called survival is telling of your actual intelligence level.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
The tags are shit though. Go to steam and click RPG. There's couple RPGs, a bunch of shit that isn't RPGs, and a 3 or 4 copies of ESO: Morrowind on the front two pages.

You might think "well that's not TERRIBLE, they did get some real RPG's in there like DOS:2"

But then click Strategy. And its 50+% the same fucking games, plenty of which are NOT Strategy games. I'm interested in DOS:2, sure. But if I'm shopping for a strategy I don't want to trawl through a list of RPG's and shooters.

I think we can agree the issue is the people and not the tags themselves. Steam is filled with the same kind of retard this site is full of. GIGO.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Why is this in MMO? The MMO genre is all about questing in a kiddie WoW clone now. Survival games are all no good but have potential, cuz they are all in early access. I played one called The Forest or something which was really good, chopping down trees and exploring and stuff and surviving was terrifying actually took some skill. But there was just no longevity because it is typical early access, made by 2 people or something so it takes 6 months to add a few items.

Minecraft has millions of mods but none of them make it good. Factorio is super popular but I think it sucks. FortressCraft Evolved is pretty damn good, but no real long term goals to work towards unless you are one of those, "I CAN HAZ MY OWN GOALZ" people.

There is also that isometric one that is popular, but it is bad. All these games are bad. I could enjoy a survival game but it would have to be good and I don't see that ever happening in my lifetime. DayZ looked promising, but it has no content because it is made by one guy and gamers made him a millionaire because they are retards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom