Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts on fixed class equipment vs equip whatever systems?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
When I read a book I can tell if the writer has been a soldier or not

How? This sounds highly dubious; can you list specific distinguishing features?

I'll disregard the fact you are a child of limited experience in anything so everything sounds reasonable to you since you lack the necessary information to compare and contrast new information to the complete lack of it in your mind. Could a seaman not tell if he read a book that had sailing scenes if the author knew the craft or not? Being a real soldier (or marine, or whatever) where your main and only job is specifically to engage and kill the enemy, not a pogue or remf, you live in a culture you can easily tell if a writer has also lived in. I am actually pretty good at telling if a writer is a veteran or combat veteran, or a pogue blowing their own horn about shit they have no idea about but think they do. I am sometimes wrong between the combat vets and vets, but never about civilians or civilians in uniform.

You are asking me if I can tell something is authentic or not. You find the ability to tell something authentic or not dubious for some reason. When I was a young kid I couldn't tell either. Read "Night" or "All Quiet on the Western Front." I've never been a prisoner of a concentration camp and I've never been in the crazy trench warfare of WW1, but I find it hard to believe that someone even as young and lacking of life knowledge as you can read these works and not know it is authentic. And Remarque was only in WW1 as a combatant for a couple weeks. He didn't live it for years. But he had the feelings, had his truths, and lived the awful and that can't be invented or regurgitated into a new construct from someone who hasn't.

Just a note: Roqua claims he buy games from extra money he earns from filling online surveys.

I didn't mean it as "Hey let's dis whatever he has to say." But as just as that, a note.

Just a note. YES! was given a budget by his wife. During a time I was being very hard on her for the money she was wasting on alcohol, she was hard on me for money she said I was wasting in a worse way since games stopped me from interacting with my family. With a lot more complexity and depth to the fighting than I care to list. I gave her a huge opening because I spend a shit ton of money in DDO when they had a experience gem chest sale. I couldn't help myself and just kept buying more and more. I spent a ridiculous amount and it gave her the perfect opportunity to impose her tyranny.

During this time I am not ashamed to say if I wanted to go over budget I had to make a different source of money. The survey thing worked well. I've since given up trying to get her to slow down in drinking, and she has loosened up on me doing my shit as long as I don't go crazy again. I really fucked up and spend way, way more than I should have. I honestly can't wait for her to fuck up so I can have leverage.

Sadly, when you kids grow up and are unhappily married for a while and only the kids are keeping you together and you hate each other around the same amount as you love each other marriage becomes a game of leverage. Women are born and breed for the long game. Setting traps, pushing buttons, controlling arguments, winning. They are natural masters of the evil and devious. Soul sucking succubus. There is no winning. There is only the temporary reprieve of leverage. Bidding your time for a fuck up and pouncing.

Life as an adult is horrible and ugly and the only joy a spouse can give you is a big fuck up and the joy of making them pay for it. There is no winning. I lost as soon as the ring went on her finger. All you young fucking idiots thinking life will be grand and marriage will be bliss are in for a very, very rude awakening. This causes me lots of joy. Your future pain sustains me and feeds me and fills me with glee. You are all so wrong and stupid.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Stuff about adult life.

No, I am not trying to say filling surveys is shameful, my old man. I am old enough to know money is hard to come by, thanks. What I am trying to say is, filling survey doesn't seem like something I'd do even if I needed money that bad. It seems that those sites only pays you in supermarket vouchers. I fucking doubt you actually do it. Selling homemade fruit juice door to door in my neighborhood would do better.

Also thanks for the info about married life.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The original D&D and games like darklands reflect a philosophy to gaming that a warrior or wizard would have dedicated their lives to their pursuit. Magic Users were scholars who wore robes, and (from the 1st Ed. Players Handbook) "Furthermore, they can wear no armor and have few weapons they can use, for martial training is so foreign to magic-use as to make the two almost mutually exclusive." In the original D&D, Wizards spent their free time

The original RPGs assumed that your character class was their career. Mages never learned about swords because it took a lot of study to be mages. They didn't just level up one day and say "I want to learn magic" and then start casting spells immediately, like current systems. Nothing in D&D is realistic, but the original RPGs drew from sources like history and fantasy novels.

Also note in original D&D only Elves, Half-Elves, and Humans could be magic-users. Half-orcs, dwarves, and other classes couldn't be mages either. They were too stupid. Now, anyone can be a mage, wear armor, and be a fucking orc. Get off my damn lawn!

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Stuff about adult life.

No, I am not trying to say filling surveys is shameful, my old man. I am old enough to know money is hard to come by, thanks. What I am trying to say is, filling survey doesn't seem like something I'd do even if I needed money that bad. It seems that those sites only pays you in supermarket vouchers. I fucking doubt you actually do it. Selling homemade fruit juice door to door in my neighborhood would do better.

Also thanks for the info about married life.

Money isn't hard to come by for people who suffer in the right professions. Its not luck. Just put in the awful and you will make really good money. I fucking hate kids but even I have to hire some because my field is not glamorous, not fun even a little, but is a solid profession and needs new blood. I'm a coward when it comes to investing or taking risks with money so I can't give you any get rich quick advice other than your job will suck and you will mostly likely hate it no matter what so pick a field with the highest job acceptance rate and median salary. Happiness is a lie. Salary isn't. Put in the work for the degrees, be willing to work full time and go to school to get a or a couple graduate degrees, do the grind without being a drama queen or lazy piece of shit and you will do more than okay money wise. All the glamour jobs are risky. Go for low risk, high certainty. Accounting, finance, data focused jobs like data analysis. Any job that requires advanced math courses for undergrad and graduate degrees. I had to take an actuarial math class for my last degree that almost broke my mind. I am very far from a math genius and hate advanced math. But you suck it up and do the grind and get paid. I don't have to worry about if I will be able to retire early or not. I also avoid big corporations because they are too risky for me and I want to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. I won't work at a place with more than 5k employees. My current place has about 2.5 and based mainly in the US with a couple smaller shops in Cannookia. There is zero chance of it closing down or being bought up or anything I have to worry about. I want the biggest reward for the least risk. I worry about everything so this is how I planned it. Just think long term and forget happiness or job satisfaction. Think stability and risk aversion.

Okay, now that the fatherly advice is over - the website I used you picked and accepted the surveys before hand. 5 or 10 cents for a quick survey that usually took less time to take than to load and submit. Longer ones paid about a quarter. I could make about $10 an hour without really paying attention, or 15 if I tried harder. Since I only play good games and not console shit for fucking retards I usually had the 10 or 15 bucks I needed quickly. I didn't have myself working long hours to buy the new smash hit from Square Enix or whatever you fucking morons do and if I wanted an more costly game and didn't want it bad enough I just waited until the new month.

If you don't believe me I don't give a shit. I brought it up to articulate that I work for what I have against that working-man murderer that does the fucking gay as videos for retards, and sometimes had to work extra for games I wanted when all you fucking SSD champions are buying games with your fucking government handouts with your bullshit ailments and problems when the truth is you just don't want to work when you get free handouts and get paid not to work and spend my fucking money on games. I fucking hate lazy ass non-working pieces of shits.

Do you not believe me because you don't work and find it hard to believe people are stupid enough to work and pay the taxes that support you filthy fucking non-working animals? Get offline and get a fucking job and become one of us and then lets see how you feel about shitheads claiming bullshit to get out of working and your money going to buy their games and support their lazy and decadent lifestyles.

huskarls

Scholar
Developers could do a game with wizards in plate, but it could be like shadowrun (trpg) where money is equivalent to leveling up and advanced military equipment is like cyberware. So you could have realistic equipment availability and class access, but the sheer cost would mean not even your warrior has plate. Then maybe 1% of the end game could but you in a position to have wizards in plate and every one jerking off to how cool it was

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The point of fixed class equipment is being able to have actually interesting equipment and balancing it against various other classes and their abilities. For example, you could have a magical dagger that lets you attack twice as often- moderately useful in the hands of a thief or wizard, but utterly fucking broken in the hands of a warrior with a bunch of flat damage per attack bonuses. Or armor that is incredibly powerful but cripples your ability to attack- an interesting tradeoff for a warrior, but an overpowered no-brainer for any class that doen't need to attack anyways.

If all your equipment is going to be some boring ass minor stat tweaks, then yeah, it doesn't matter. But in that case your game is probably shit anyways.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

or you could just do per class bonuses. thieves get the 4x backstab, but fighters do not, for example.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I do like in D&D is how heavy metal armor is going to interfere with your wizard abilities. In Baldur's Gate playing a fighter-mage dual or multi class lets you equip heavy armors but wearing them gives you a spell failure chance.

That's good.
How is that good, though?
In practice, it only leads to fighter-mages never wearing armor because you cannot afford to fizzle important spells.
Such a class mix will always rely on spells for armor instead of actual armor.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Regarding survey fillings, the key is choose a correct site where they actually pay you, instead of the scammy ones where they either pay you in voucher, or delay payment.

Yeah. I don't have the shortcuts anymore but the site I used gave it as soon as you finished. As soon I submitted money went to me. I remember it saying if survey people liked you they would send you surveys that were like $5 or $10 or up to more (I forget what I went up to). Some of the surveys were the kind to ask you the same question slightly differently to see if you were paying attention. I often didn't so I never got sent any of these better surveys. But this was great for my needs as a simple 10 or 20 here or there very sporadically and weeks apart with no commitment or trying or hassle. If I were to pick up a crack habit this is how I would subsidize it without the old lady knowing. My teeth falling out and losing weight may tip her off, but not how I paid for it.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
What I do like in D&D is how heavy metal armor is going to interfere with your wizard abilities. In Baldur's Gate playing a fighter-mage dual or multi class lets you equip heavy armors but wearing them gives you a spell failure chance.

That's good.
How is that good, though?
In practice, it only leads to fighter-mages never wearing armor because you cannot afford to fizzle important spells.
Such a class mix will always rely on spells for armor instead of actual armor.

Its the same in D20 editions except you have the option of feating for spell failure reduction or picking a class that has it as a feature like bards or warlocks. I'm not a huge fan of the game but ESO did a pretty nice job of making all three of their armor types feasible for any class and roll to a point up to high end group content. I think its changed since with a big difference between stamina and magic classes - but I think that's the best ideal. Feasibility and coming up with a concept you can realize from a million possible choices. You are either right and it works well or you are stuck trying to make lemon aid.

I remember back when there were manuals, just sitting down taking a nice shit and looking through feats and trying to see something that got me excited and then figuring out how to get to it while also being able to do x, y, and z well or well enough.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
or you could just do per class bonuses. thieves get the 4x backstab, but fighters do not, for example.
Sure. Brb, equipping rogue with a two handed maul for best 'backstabs'. Or maybe a pike for long range backstabbing. Sounds legit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Most single character games give you enough points to have one major tree and a few skills from another. I don't know a game that makes you play only one class unless it is locked class.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom