Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vigilantes: neo-noir, turn based tactical RPG

Doktor Best

Arcane
Watched a bit of the LP and bought the game. Will try it out after Divinity 2. My gaming pace is currently pretty slow though unfortunately.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
By sound of it looks like quite prevalent. Does Steam plan to do something about it?

Yeah, it's pretty bad. They mostly follow a couple of patterns and are easy enough to spot, but it does consume time. Steam can't really do much - they give you press keys, and then it's up to you to decide if the person contacting you is legit. They do allow you to ban keys also, and remove them from people's accounts, but there's no way of telling what account the keys have been redeemed to, and if this is the same person you sent the key to. For the most part, it's places like G2A and Kinguin which provide an easy way for scammers to move on the keys, it would be much more work intensive for them otherwise. All you can really do is exercise caution when giving out keys, to make it less profitable for scammers, and not really worry about it.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
It's possible false positive.
I might have been fooled by that very slow zoom speed.

Haven't been able to recreate the bug, but there was another report. Noticed that multiple requests to zoom can be queued, and this could push camera closer to map than intended, also blocked input from being accepted when you are not in the city map. Do you happen to remember if it got locked while you were in the map, or when you clicked in it from the main base screen. Also increases zoom speed and decreased the number of increments to make it faster to use

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I cannot see the point in reviewing a game for free, besides publicity. If you're unwilling to spend cash on a game, how will you convince others to do so?

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
I cannot see the point in reviewing a game for free, besides publicity. If you're unwilling to spend cash on a game, how will you convince others to do so?

Don't mind giving a press copy to active, legitimate press outlets - get a bit of publicity & they can cover the content at no cost (outside time) - I'm sure some do buy them, but suspect games journalism is a tough way to make a living

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I bought this as soon as it came out, but I'll probably wait until it's out of EA before playing. Do you need more EA players to find bugs or do you have enough?

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
I bought this as soon as it came out, but I'll probably wait until it's out of EA before playing. Do you need more EA players to find bugs or do you have enough?

Cheers, Nutria! Getting a fair bit of feedback, but more is always good - if you think it might spoil your enjoyment of the final game, don't worry about it

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Yet another observation about shotguns:
Shotguns wielded by enemy units are treated the same as shotguns in overwatch; single shot, no cone.
Enemies wielding shotguns also take very long time to resolve turns.

I also encountered couple bugs:
1.Sometimes when controlling unit that wields baseball bat you cannot use "end turn" -button. Changing wielded item resolves that issue.
2. Had one instance where enemy unit glitched and its model got misaligned from its actual position on battlescape. He could still be attacked once I located the square he was in.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Hypothetical question Timeslip :
Did you ever consider adding quests that are analogous of X-com terror missions?
Levels where foes are targeting AI controlled civilian units and player must stop them causing damage to said civilians.
Targets could range from "small fry stealing handbags from grannies" to "defend storefront that is being looted" to all the way to "gangbangers are going to kill them all."

ArchAngel

Arcane
And if he ever implements ability to have multiple factions in one mission one could have missions where gangs go after smaller groups of cops and you can intervene.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Shotguns wielded by enemy units are treated the same as shotguns in overwatch; single shot, no cone.

1.Sometimes when controlling unit that wields baseball bat you cannot use "end turn" -button. Changing wielded item resolves that issue.
2. Had one instance where enemy unit glitched and its model got misaligned from its actual position on battlescape. He could still be attacked once I located the square he was in.

Yeah, that's how it works at present. To explain why: using the cone of fire effectively is something a player can do without really thinking, but programming the AI to do it could take up to a couple of days. This raises the question, is there a better way this time could be used? What are your thoughts on how big of a shortcoming this is?

I'll keep an eye out for the slow decision making. Have noticed that enemies with the more tactical "cautious" AI take longer to make up their minds - think it's just generating too many potential orders. Should be able to find away to cut down the amount of work, and retain the differences in behaviour.

I'll check out those bugs. Pretty sure I know what's causing 2, and hopefully it will be easy enough to recreate 1.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Hypothetical question Timeslip :
Did you ever consider adding quests that are analogous of X-com terror missions?
Levels where foes are targeting AI controlled civilian units and player must stop them causing damage to said civilians.
Targets could range from "small fry stealing handbags from grannies" to "defend storefront that is being looted" to all the way to "gangbangers are going to kill them all."

Was considering a recurring mission type for the Church of the Final Exodus, where you have to protect civilians from them. To some extent, the missions where you gain a temporary ally are in this territory - any thoughts about differentiating them? It's really hard to say at the minute, but wouldn't rule out a base defence mission either.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Yeah, that's how it works at present. To explain why: using the cone of fire effectively is something a player can do without really thinking, but programming the AI to do it could take up to a couple of days. This raises the question, is there a better way this time could be used? What are your thoughts on how big of a shortcoming this is?
I consider it more a slight oddity than actual shortcoming.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Ranged weapon hit chances and even damage should go down in melee against melee trained opponents with a melee weapon.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Or you can do it this way: Give shotguns only to some lower ranking goons. They are not intelligent specimens and will not care if their cone hits allies or not. Higher intelligence soldiers will only use different weapons. And this way you got your cake and you ate it too.

ushas

Savant

Or you can do it this way: Give shotguns only to some lower ranking goons. They are not intelligent specimens and will not care if their cone hits allies or not. Higher intelligence soldiers will only use different weapons. And this way you got your cake and you ate it too.
Was thinking about not caring too. From the decision making perspective, it's the same solution as could be for overwatch: cone is simply centered at the primary target. A high risk weapon... Doesn't have to be lower ranking goons. High rank doesn't imply higher intelligence. But they can also take that perk that lowers friendly fire in the cone.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so i tried the game for a quick look

-so far pretty good progress. definitely have improved alot since the super old demo from the pre kickstarter
- i played melee and noticed several attack types consume the same AP. with fist there is attack, haymaker, and light attack. without the AP difference and explanation, it's difficult to find out what each type do. i hope this is a placeholder thing and AP distribution and attack type will be properly implemented.
- melee weapon cost more AP, make sense and the same AP amount with every type of attack is still there.
- locational damage is great. basically no compain here. difference body part give different injuries, different hit chance, etc. glad one of my suggestion early are being responded in such a great depth.
- graphics, atmosphere and portraits are alot better than before.
- music is great
- voice acting is surprisingly good too and the writing is enjoyable. it convey the message well. if you skip voice over cutscene, it continue on through the next screens. can be annoying.
- it would be nice to have a pop-up explanation of what each stat and skill do. i mean the numbers of character sheet change obviously whenever you reduce or add stat point, but a popup message can be a nice QoL update.

run into some bugs (or just isn't implemented yet)

- can't really save or load. i open the menu, the only button i can click is resume, main menu, option and quit.
- i died in the 2nd battle, and when i try to retry it brought me to the home screen and sam's image is replaced by white screen with his HP being (555/555) and in each stat there is a "[no text]" written beside it. tried different buttons to navigate it just won't let me gain control.

overall i am happy for the progress it's made so far. good luck!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
- i played melee and noticed several attack types consume the same AP. with fist there is attack, haymaker, and light attack. without the AP difference and explanation, it's difficult to find out what each type do. i hope this is a placeholder thing and AP distribution and attack type will be properly implemented.
Those options are about CTH vs damage.
Light attack has highest chance to hit but lowest damage; while haymaker makes most damage etc.

ushas

Savant
- can't really save or load. i open the menu, the only button i can click is resume, main menu, option and quit.
- i died in the 2nd battle, and when i try to retry it brought me to the home screen and sam's image is replaced by white screen with his HP being (555/555) and in each stat there is a "[no text]" written beside it. tried different buttons to navigate it just won't let me gain control.
Oj, strange. You should definitely be able to save & load. The game also makes an autosave before each mission. The second point is the issue that happens when there is no autosave to load from.

Is it possible that the whole game directory isn't set or at least the one for saves? Not having currently any other ideas than re-downloading / re-installing / re-verifying files / rebooting everything...

As for where that directory is - depends on OS, and perhaps also if from Steam or Humble.

Humble Win might be somewhere under:
C:\Users\USER\AppData\LocalLow\Timeslip Softworks\VigilantesV20

Humble Linux:
/home/USER/.config/unity3d/Timeslip Softworks/VigilantesV20

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Ranged weapon hit chances and even damage should go down in melee against melee trained opponents with a melee weapon.

That happens with assault rifles and more severely with sniper rifles.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer

Cake's always good :) Right now, the AI is completely unable to use the cone of fire, but like the idea.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
so i tried the game for a quick look

-so far pretty good progress. definitely have improved alot since the super old demo from the pre kickstarter
- melee weapon cost more AP, make sense and the same AP amount with every type of attack is still there.
- locational damage is great. basically no compain here. difference body part give different injuries, different hit chance, etc. glad one of my suggestion early are being responded in such a great depth.
- graphics, atmosphere and portraits are alot better than before.
- music is great
- voice acting is surprisingly good too and the writing is enjoyable. it convey the message well. if you skip voice over cutscene, it continue on through the next screens. can be annoying.
- it would be nice to have a pop-up explanation of what each stat and skill do. i mean the numbers of character sheet change obviously whenever you reduce or add stat point, but a popup message can be a nice QoL update.

run into some bugs (or just isn't implemented yet)

overall i am happy for the progress it's made so far. good luck!

Thanks HoboForEternity! Glad you like most aspects of the game.

- You're right concerning the attack types, explaining (and likely differentiating these attacks further) is on the list of to dos (it's a pretty big list, but will get there)
- I'll have a look at the voice continuing to play
- May be misunderstanding you, but if you mouse over each stat/skill/derived stat on the char screen, it should give you a quick explanation

Concerning the bugs, can I ask if you are using Steam/Humble and what OS you are running?
- If you're on Steam, it would be worth verifying the files - steam had some trouble with their servers recently and have had a few instances of bugs as a result of corrupted downloads
- Saving and loading is only for when you are at home. Could conceivably add them to battles, but battles are typically quite short and at a guess, it would likely take a week or more - if you are still having a problem with this, please let me know
- As Ushas mentioned, if there's no auto save, this can happen - if we can figure out the save issue, this should be fine

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom